Username Post: What have you regretted purging.        (Topic#1598015)
Expert

Up until now I have never missed anything that I have purged from my stash, but I am now really wishing I had not given away 4 packets of 12x12 plain coloured vellum I had.
I gave it away years ago, after having not used it for years! (I bought it probably 10 years ago).
All the packets were different assorted colours and now I find myself wanting to play with vellum again, and can only
find the normal clear/white colour.
I was bored one day and searched for ideas using vellum on layouts on pinterest and wow!
I am kicking myself for getting rid of it

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-10-14 02:41 PM
In response to christiscraps61

Well, yah, that was kinda stupid. (I say this as I would to my best friend, as I'm someone who loves playing with vellum and can't imagine getting rid of any of it!!)

This site has some really pretty printed vellums, but for plain colors check out arccrafts and papertemptress, I've had great customer service from both.

I can't think of anything I've purged that I really regret ... only things I haven't purchased that I can't find anymore.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-10-14 02:50 PM
In response to stick

Purge? What's that? lol j/k. I am a hoarder so I usually don't purge anything unless it really is complete junk. But I have a pack of colored vellum that I got not too long ago. It's pastel colors... I don't think they had regular colors, but it's by Recollections.

Expert
In response to stick

Yes. Yes it was...
Thanks for the info girls, will check it out!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I don't purge very often and when I do I'm totally ready to get rid of it and make room for new. I've never had any regrets so far.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I have not regretted purging anything yet...

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to bonprof

Purge??? Why would I? LOL!! Actually, I've spent a lot of time and money amassing my hoard...there is no way i'd be ready to give or sell anything away. In fact, I'd love to accept some of other peoples purge! Bwahahaha!!!!

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper
In response to Juansmom

I hear ya, Chris! Purge? Huh? I have things that were total mistakes that I'm still finding ways to use up. Ugly papers get a swipe of gesso and/or gelatos and, voila, they have a new life, lol! Embellies get torn apart or adorned with Stickles, etc. And flowers? Wow there are so many ways to alter flowers with paint, mist, sequins, and on and on.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to NMscrapper

I've never really purged. I could give up just a few things and not miss them. But I've bought pretty carefully. Ive been given things that I passed on to my niece and MIL I did buy a lot of G45 discontinued ppr at TM where you get 25 sheets for $3.99 and I gave a little bit of that away to my MIL and to ppl looking for something specific. I don't feel a major need to purge......yet. I can only think of one ppr pad collection I which I hadn't purchased. Maybe I will luck out someone will want it and I can pass it on.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to CrimsonMama

I sold my QuicKutz for pennies and wish I had it back. Why? I don't know - I hardly ever used it, I have 3 Cricuts and a Big Shot - but it was MINE, and I want it BACK!

heather375
Tenant
heather375
In response to dwelch

purge!? I can't get rid of anything! My sister-in-law commented about coming over and scrapping with me, which I would love, however she doesn't have her own supplies, and as much as I love my family....I'm not good at sharing! I have all boys and have a lot of girly papers. I have put all the pink girl stuff back in a storage tote....someday I may have granddaughters, you never know!! (my boys are only 11 and 15! lol)

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to heather375

I thought about this topic last night, and since i have a cameo now, and was browsing some die cut designs for it, i realized that if i'd gotten one earlier, i prob would never have gotten the cuttlebug...i have some letter dies, and stars or scallop shapes...but i dont use the dozen or so embossing folders. I could have done without the cuttlebug n trappings and spent the $$ earlier on a cameo and made all the same letters n shapes. But...I will NEVER let the bug go...i love it also...

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

and i suppose the same might hold true for all my punches, even the border punches and the CM border system and carts i have been expensively/extensively collecting...

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Juansmom

I got rid of the original Red Sizzix machine and a butt load of dies when I got my Cricut thinking Id never need it again.

So, so sad.

But nothing else. In fact I just donated a huge mix of stamps papers and such to my sister for a Girl Scout yard sale next month and don't regret it at all!!!!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to ScrappyMama6

Oh I will never get rid of my dies. Love them! Even if I get an electronic cutter. I've thought about a Cameo, but now I've about talked myself out of it.

Expert
In response to CrimsonMama

Carol, I really admire your resolve to re-invent old stash, I feel that would take a bit more creativity than I possess!
Although I am very taken with the idea of gesso over old papers...I will try that.
Heather, I too am hanging onto pretty stuff for that granddaughter I hope to have in the next year or so...
I also keep old stickers, some papers and embellishments that I think future grandkids will enjoy creating with....

SherylEb
Diva
SherylEb

Embossing would be enough reason to not get rid of the CB or Big Shot if you have a cricut or cameo.

Thought about getting rid of my cricut now that I have a cameo, but don't think I can just for the "what ifs"

Tenant
In response to SherylEb

I have a Cricut but my Big Shot and dies aren't going anywhere.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Artistic Scrapper

Ditto Sheryl. I've thought about getting rid of my Cricut, but I actually like the cuts I get with it and what if the cameo would quit working? So, I keep two space hogs. Someday I might give the cricut to my teacher-daughter if she'd use it for her school kids. For now, it's mine and she can use it :>)

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-11-14 07:40 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

I still have my cricut too. It's upstairs in the attic and all my carts are in a box in the Lab. I just can't bring myself to part with it even though I haven't used it a single time since I got my cameo.

Veteran
In response to Vae

So far, I have not regretted anything that I have purged. Of course it takes me so long to decide to purge something that I am fine with it by the time it goes. But most of what I purged were impulse buys from when I first started scrapping and had to buy everything. Luckily, I have learned what things I will actually use and stick to those.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I sold my QuicKutz for pennies and wish I had it back. Why? I don't know - I hardly ever used it, I have 3 Cricuts and a Big Shot - but it was MINE, and I want it BACK!

I have sold all my 4 x 4 Quickutz. I have held onto my 2 x 2 and all my 80 or so fonts because they have always been my favorite things.
Most of my sets have never been used. I was considering selling them as I haven't missed the 4 x 4's.

I have hundreds and hundreds of Quickutz. Tell me what you miss about them so I don't make the same mistake

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-12-14 03:10 PM
In response to creater1

QuicKutz made some great dies. Some of the 4x4s and 2x2s are on my all-time favorites list

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

If I ever purge anything, it would probably be stickers. However, even those I pop-dot, stickle, heat emboss, etc., so I'll probably be keeping them also.

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to mrsdriver5

I am a hoarder so I haven't purged anything. Although I really need to learn to let go, I just can't seem to part with anything.

heather375
Tenant
heather375
In response to sassiescrapper

I've had some cardstock stickers from about 15 years ago that I never knew what I'd do with and thought about getting rid of a few times. Just recently I did a layout that they worked perfectly on! Nope, not likely you'll find me getting rid of anything! you never know!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to heather375

I just decided that I am going to go through my paper, and give some to the Girl Scouts. I bought a few batches of paper really cheap from gals on Two Peas. Some of it is really ugly and is occupying valuable real estate in my scrap room. It's gotta go.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to creater1

I have hundreds and hundreds of Quickutz. Tell me what you miss about them so I don't make the same mistake

I think what I miss is being able to just grab a die, plop it in and squeeze. Not having to get out the cricut, plug it in, locate the right cartridge, deal with a mat ... Dang! Now I REALLY want my old Quikutz back.

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR
In response to dwelch

I rarely get rid of anything...I suppose I fall under the "hoarder" category lol.
A couple weeks ago I did go through my pp and give a good stack of it to my sil who has started scrapping. But for the most part, purge isn't in my vocabulary

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to RhondaR

Has anyone ever gotten rid of stamps? I have so many of them that I just know I won't use again but I can't seem to part with them. Instead I organize and make room for new. The stamps that I buy today are just so different than the ones I bought 7 to 10 years ago. I feel like my tastes have changed so much with them.

And I feel that way with the Cricut lately also Dwelch. I just started using my Cuttlebug and dies a lot this year and my Cricut just fell by the wayside. After my Cuttlebug sat on my shelf for years without much use, I've spent this year loading up on dies and I'm liking it so much better that the Cricut. I never thought I would ever say that.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:

I think what I miss is being able to just grab a die, plop it in and squeeze. Not having to get out the cricut, plug it in, locate the right cartridge, deal with a mat ... Dang! Now I REALLY want my old Quikutz back.

If it weren't so costly, I would ship you a Quickutz Squeeze. I have one and I bought some dies at a garage sale and the woman insisted I take the tool too! Now I have 2 Squeezes. But I mainly use my Revolution with the QK dies and if larger, I pull out my Cuttlebug.

Expert
In response to olleharr

Yes, I have donated a couple of sets of foam alphabet stamps to the the local pre-school. They were quite childish fonts and I didn't think I would use them again....haven't missed them.....I could probably part with several wood mount stamps that I never use....but can't see myself ever parting with my acrylic stamps, I am way to addicted to them.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Nothing.

The closest I've come to regretting is when I can't find something I knew I had, and then slowly realised that I gave it away.

A contributory factor is that I co-run a scraplifting challenge blog, and until recently we sent prizes to the challenge winners. But I used to have a box into which I would put items that I'd been given or won and would never use, and items I'd bought on clearance. The prizes came out of that, so I never missed them.

However funding it for 5 years between an ever decreasing design team became a financial burden that we decided we couldn't carry on, so we don't do prizes now.

If I purge now, it will be to my niece. So if I decide I can't live without it, it won't have gone far!

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I gave away my old Cricut Expression and wish now I had kept her as she was capable of svg cuts . But water under the bridge. I try to purge my stash once a year.I sent 3 huge boxes to my grand daughter.

But I regret nothing as it has cleared a little space here.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to olleharr

Oh good to know. I have sold all my Cricut machines and 100's of cartridges. Most of them I had not even opened and those I had opened I rarely used. So that is something I have not regretted selling.
I do remember that is why Quickutz always intrigued me as it was much faster and less time with cutting machines.
So I guess I will continue to hold on to my Quickutz a little longer to see if the desire to own them returns.
I am thinking since I have not used them since I bought them other than the alpha sets. I may not miss them at all.
Thanks for all your input everyone.

justCecilia
Tenant
justCecilia
In response to Vae

I purged some Scenic Route die cut arrows (the ones that were all on the 12x12 sheets that went with the collections) thinking I wouldn't need them. About a year later, I was working on some pages where I needed them. That is about the only thing I regret purging (for now).

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to justCecilia

wow!!! Yeah I regret purging my lucky 8 corner?? punch by wrmk!!! never ever figured out how to make it punch around the page pain in the you know what!!!
mg

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to mindygail

I'm another one who rarely gets rid of anything.

Designs, colors, trends always seem to come back, so I'm not jumping to purge.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to mindygail

• mindygail Said:
wow!!! Yeah I regret purging my lucky 8 corner?? punch by wrmk!!! never ever figured out how to make it punch around the page pain in the you know what!!!
mg

I'm confused.
You REGRET purging something you never could figure out, and thought was a pain in the butt?

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Bxr-Linda

I love my Lucky 8 punches. Eight quick pushes and I have a large beautiful background. I have 11 of them and am on the search for the last one. Once I figured out how to store them, of course.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to 950nancy

I purge a ton. Can't think of anything I regret giving away. Wait, I regretted selling my Revolution at a garage sale and then found it in the crawl space two years later. It didn't sell. Ha!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to 950nancy

I think the Lucky 8 punches are awesome...but never bought any bc of the price point...I know if I had one I'd need them ALL!!! And I'm no quitter, so buying them would be a long expensive process!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Vae

hmm- I just gave away a TON of stuff 1 mediumbox, one bag, and two little drawer units that are red and used to hold stamps!! I must of given her (bf bff gf) ha ha ha got that?? me neither!!! anyways I donated to her daughter a bunch of papers, scraps, atamps, notebooks, catalogs, markers, and even made her two pretty composion books I altered!! Ok, wheres the new stuff-- ha ha no it feels good to be unselfish for a change!!
mg

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi

Doodlebug Design has all kinds of colored vellum in the store here.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics