Username Post: Scrapbooking for a man        (Topic#1598073)
c4cinders58
Tenant
c4cinders58

Hi Everybody,

I enjoy many crafts such as crochet, knit, needle crafts, along with scrapbooking. I have made many gifts over the years and the DH has mentioned several times that we have been married 20 years and will I EVER get you to make me something, anything? He recently lost the last member of his family and we moved about a year ago and I came across some old pictures of him when he was young and some of his family. I would like to make him a scrapbook for Christmas. However, I have scrapped mostly for children pictures and wedding pictures. Never with a man in mind. To be honest, I don't even know where to start or which direction to go. Have any of you made a scrapbook strictly for the man in your life, or have you done pages, geared towards the man? I would love to hear what you did, or any ideas you may have to at least give me some kind of idea which direction to take this in. Thank you so much for any help or ideas!

XOXo

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to c4cinders58

i got this-
One Christmas I made a very special brown 8x8 scrapbook for my dad. My parents are divorced so I had to be careful what to put in it. I did a lot of older photos of him with me when he was younger and I was just a kid it turned out great!!! I will pass on to you the advice that was given to me earlier on this site, Use:
arrows
geometric shapes
paint splatters
gears
etc.
I have a 13 yr old son and I scrap him all the time and I usually just go by whatever colors are in the photo to match his page. If there is green in a photo of him I pick a green p.p or green c.s see what I mean, well good luck let me know how it all turns out!!!mg

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

A friend commissioned me to make a scrapbook for her boyfriend a couple of years ago. He grew up around horses and competing at rodeos, and is basically just a country boy, lol. She had photos of him all the way back to his childhood, almost every one showed him with a horse, on a horse, at a rodeo event, etc. I started scouring the internet and stores for anything rodeo, horse and country related. It really made me stretch my imagination since I've never scrapped that subject matter before. But I thought it turned out very nice, my friend loved it, and her boyfriend and his adult kids loved it so much they cried. Any of the photos of his family should be easy to scrap, but I would use paper and embellishments that have a retro or aged look since they aren't of recent events.
Don't know if that's much help, but look through the photos, see if you can find a common thread or subject, and work from there.

c4cinders58
Tenant
c4cinders58
In response to chocolateaxel

Thank you so much! Many of the pictures are of his Toys. Hot Rod, Corvette, Harley etc. So I was thinking of the whole "Difference btwn a man and a boy are the price of his toys" concept. But I started looking for stuff to go with the hot rods and things and WOW... hard to find! I am going to go to a Scrapbooking Expo in October and maybe will have luck there. Also quite a few pics of Las Vegas which will be fun to do, but your right... it is subject matter I have never worked with before. I will look for some more retro papers and stuff. One would think with the mounds of paper I already have that I would have some, but Noooooooo..... none of that. LOL. I do everything Cutsie.... and I just want to be sure I don't go that direction.

Thanks again!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

We go to Vegas quite often, so I've done a lot of scrapping that subject. I have found quite a lot of Vegas related paper and embellishments at another site. But if you Google Las Vegas, hot rods, Corvette, Harley, etc, it should give you a wealth of sites to pick from. That's what I did when I was looking for the rodeo, horse and cowboy stuff. Good luck!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I started a 8x8 for my brother. If you look in my gallery and go to Albums and look at "Sam's book" you will see the 24 LO.s I started it one Christmas and on his bday or whatever, I make him a few more to go into it. I scrap the photos in a fun way, and in a way that goes with the photo, not always a "man LO". He works for a heavy truck company and drives Ford-F150's and I did a memory tray of his trucks for him as well.

You can go with a more manly theme. I love that. Pick the photos first that you want to go with and then seen if you can decide on a theme, Vintage Masculine or something.

Expert

Check out Kaisercrafts "Garage Day" collection. I recently used it for layouts for my Hubby when he did a V8 supercar drive.
It features some retro classic car type themes, and paper with tyres.
It might be suitable for you....

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to christiscraps61

I done a lot of vegas layouts seen I use to live out there.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to southern lady

I did a layout with retro classic car

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to southern lady

colors can make pages 'manly'. blue, brown, green, tan, burgundy, gray, all are considered masculine.

if you take colors and themes from the pictures or his likes, you can't go wrong.

thelightupnorth
Tenant
thelightupnorth
In response to Lamoo12

You could pick a basic colour scheme that is on the masculine side (kraft, cream, and green, or grey, white and navy, for example), do the same and choose a couple basic patterns (stripes and triangles, arrows and circles, etc), and have those colours and patterns be the basis for each page... Then you could just add in different colours or patterns as you find things that are more specific...

I think that with a couple of patterned stamps or stencils, you could make or alter elements...

Tim Holtz also has some more masculine techniques - aging and distressing elements, making them look like different metals, etc... He also sells some hardware embellishments - metal gears, faucet knobs, belt buckles, hinges, screw head brads, etc... Just a few of those things could go a long way... He has tutorials on his site and on youtube...

I wouldn't worry too much about how masculine it is... It sounds like it would mean a lot to him because it's something you're making - he'd probably be disappointed if your style wasn't also reflected in the design... He probably has lots of wonderful 'girly' memories - the odd flower or heart or sparkle wouldn't be out of place

Edited by thelightupnorth on 08-15-14 01:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• c4cinders58 Said:
Thank you so much! Many of the pictures are of his Toys. Hot Rod, Corvette, Harley etc. So I was thinking of the whole "Difference btwn a man and a boy are the price of his toys" concept. But I started looking for stuff to go with the hot rods and things and WOW... hard to find! I am going to go to a Scrapbooking Expo in October and maybe will have luck there. Also quite a few pics of Las Vegas which will be fun to do, but your right... it is subject matter I have never worked with before. I will look for some more retro papers and stuff. One would think with the mounds of paper I already have that I would have some, but Noooooooo..... none of that. LOL. I do everything Cutsie.... and I just want to be sure I don't go that direction.

Thanks again!

I may have some of your themes solved I used to always buy stuff that matched my family or dh family heritage but there wasn't too much. I found a new resource a few years ago that I love knowing that I can find most anything now. there are millions of vintage images out there about everything...I have been saving tons on my Pinterest board too. there are images of vintage boy toys..like ads, just pics of the 1975 bike or 1960 bike, lots of stuff other toys they had. google has an image search...go there & put in 1960s toys & tons c ome up including ads too. I am sure you could do Harley too. I am sure they would have images or ads too..I am sure there would be a ton of corvette stuff & I am sure you can find hot rod stuff that way.. try it Pinterest would have some too but I think they come up on the google image search

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I just did a quick search for hot rods..lots of real pics of real people ones but I also saw near the top where they have clip art too so maybe that would work :)_I did forget to say that you can search clip art too there are thousands of clip art places out there good luck

I just searched for hot rod clip art & a some really cool ones came up

Edited by anda11 on 08-15-14 11:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to anda11

I have a really hard time scrapping with dark or muted colors for some reason. My masculine pages usually focus on hobbies and recreation interests. (I'm lucky my husband flies a bright red airplane so I can get away with bright colors pretty easily.) I don't usually invest in masculine papers or embellishments because I don't do too many of those kind of pages. I mostly stick with geometric shapes, chevron and banners which are easy ways to add color. My masculine pages seem to be more plain and simple, without a lot of frills. Have you checked to see if there are any online instruction videos that you could get tips and ideas from? Sometimes they can be a great resource to inspire you.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to olleharr

Yall are soooo... smart I think I agree with everyone !!!

Cloverlady
Angel
Cloverlady
In response to mindygail

I was thinking that gears are pretty hot right now. You could do kind of a play on words with a gear head theme.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Cloverlady

My first response upon reading the heading was, "don't bother; no man I know would care about a scrapbook."

But... since he's hinted, then go for it.

Some ideas:

I've used metallic mesh on a motorcycle restoration page.
Make your own embellishments (e.g. print the Chevy bowtie on vellum or transparency).
I've used small lock washers as 'gears' on pages.
I'm pretty sure I've seen Harley themed papers at the LSS.
Leather embellishments are good too.

To keep you out of "cutesy"... think grungy, layers, textures, inking...

Have fun, and hope I he loves it!

Veteran
In response to Bxr-Linda

Awe! That is soooo sweet that your husband wants some of your handiwork! A lot of guys don't really appreciate that. My friends husband called a scrapbook I made of their relationship, "cheesy" when he saw it. So just be glad your husband can appreciate your work.

But scrapbooks for men, oh my gosh, the bane of my existence! Aside from that experience with my friend's husband, I have made several albums for my Dad of his beloved Great Aunt's trips to Europe in the 1920's-1950's. Being one of the most feminine of girly girls on the planet, I found it physically painful to tone these albums down and put these old pictures and ephemera in less than the frilliness I thouht they deserved. But the upside,, I found, was that they took FAR less time, which, considering my great aunt's passion for stacking up on the ephemera, came in very handy. I ended up just keeping it simple, a lot of browns (ice cream stack from Walmart was fab), blacks, wines etc. Then I added classic foil and black patterned matts and just a few borders or simple metal and wood embellishments. I mainly let the images do the talking, cuz that was my Dad. Your guy might like a little more pizazz. Every guy is different. Probably just having something from your hands, no matter how it looks, will mean the world to him. Good luck and have fun!

lilbitosunshine278
Veteran
lilbitosunshine278
In response to preraphaelitess

I do scrapbooking for the men in my life. My husband, a 17 year old and college student now age 20. I also did a scrapbook album for my father who has now passed. Don't be afraid to add a feminine but masculine touch in here and there. You'd be surprised how much dark green, brown and mustard yellow flowers here and there will add a certain appreciation from the guys in your life too.

Edited by lilbitosunshine278 on 08-26-14 02:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Uniquediva1t
New Kid On the Block
Uniquediva1t
In response to lilbitosunshine278

Hello,
I'm new to this site, but when I make a scrapbook I think of what the person's favorite colors are, what they like and their happiest moments and I start from there. I hope that helps!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Uniquediva1t

I would go with browns, grays, blues in the albums. I'm a guy got into scrapbooking in the last two years. I enjoy it very much I'm doing different layouts from heritages to some of myself. So, their are few guys out there that do enjoy scrapbooking and making albums. If I'm making a layout I found in the two years I been scrapbooking. The guy layouts come easy to me. But sometimes making a layout of the ladies in my family. It can be hard because their so many girly items out there. That I don't want to just use whatever items. I try to find items that match the certain lady I am scrapbooking about. I did a layout of my mother she like the color blue. So I used a mixture of blues, yellow and a little bit of pink in the layout. With some butterflies. My mother was never a girly girl. She was more between a girly girl and tomboy. She doesn't wear makeup a lot. She not all about the flashy stuff.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics