Username Post: Please help with gift ideas for wife        (Topic#1598467)
jwt111 
New Kid On the Block

I am hoping that I can get a few ideas for a gift that I am working on for my wife. We are expecting our first child in March, and I would like to give her a small gift each day until the baby arrives. I know that she is tired a lot, and she has been a real trooper keeping up with all of her responsibilities while nourishing a little human inside of her. I am hoping that a small token and nice note each day can help provide encouragement and support.

She is an avid scrapbooker. I’m not sure if that is the correct term because she does more greeting cards and other paper projects than actual scrapbooks. She also works a lot with vinyl making candles, glassware, etc. What I am looking for are some small scrapbooking/crafting items that would be both useful and inexpensive to use as gifts. I do not make a lot of money so my budget is only $250. I am doing some things that will not cost any money so I am thinking I could spend between $1-5 a day. I could also purchase something that could be easily broken up to cover multiple days.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I need to come up with 190 ideas so any help would be very much appreciated.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to jwt111

What a lovely idea! Congratulations to you both.

The first thing to spring to mind was a "52 reasons why I love you" pack of cards. You could print them out, maybe with a little clip art, and stick one to each card, and give one to her each day until she had the full pack. That would take care of 52 of those days for very little cost except time. The cards would be thicker than normal cards so you might have to make a box for them. Maybe you could give her the box first and get her wondering.

I'll keep thinking...

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Does she stamp on her cards? If so, maybe you could buy a stamp set of sentiments, and give her one a day. Or maybe buy a set of marker or pencils, and break it up, and give her one a day.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-06-14 07:40 AM
In response to flintridgescrapper

This is so sweet! And yes, congratulations!

Since you have so many, I might be inclined to come up with a couple of themes. Like every Sunday, you make a little video clip for her if you have a video mode on your phone or camera. OR you take a picture of the two of you once a week and print it out for her... she can scrapbook them all later and it would also document her pregnancy as well.

Rosey I love the card idea!

Breaking up stamp sets would also be fun.

As for crafting items, I don't know if you have a Michaels nearby, but they have a whole aisle of little things that are $1-2 at most and sometimes it's one of my favorite aisles. They have things like stamps, flowers, gemstones, but also notepads, little inks, and various embellishments. They also have knick nacks like Alphabet letters (like a large letter for her first name), and random things like sleep masks.

You could also get her a set of cute containers (I'm thinking of the small metal ones that you can use with a magnet to put on a metal board, but any kind will work) and put little things in there for her each day, like a piece of candy or a note or something. But then at the end she has a nice set of containers to store her small crafty bits.

I hope you'll come back and let us know what you've come up with. This is so sweet

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to flintridgescrapper

Can I just say ...AWWW. What a great hubby and soon you will be a great daddy.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to southgirl

I am not sure if I have any stellar ideas but I just wanted to comment on how amazing you are to acknowledge what she is going through and your incredible idea. Congratulations to you both on the little one.

It sounds like you want to get her something she would really love and use hence the idea of breaking up a set to give each day. I am thinking maybe a small set of Copic Markers in pink or blue that are great for card makers and stampers. Then break them up and give one each day.

Paper for stamping
maybe some charms
a small punch ( there were some on clearance)
maybe some baby papers

I also keep thinking about Rosey's suggestion of the cards to scrap later. Maybe a larger gift at the end of a small album to put the card in after.

just remember notes can be awesome to get each day if things start to add up. Some other things that may seem obvious but are fantastic. Breakfast in bed (as long as there is not a big mess to clean up in the kitchen ) is extremely appreciated. I loved it when my husband did it for me. Oh.....foot rubs and back massages are huge!

Products Referenced in This Post:

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to jwt111

this is a very very thoughtful gift that you are doing. You sound like an amazing husband. congrats. I have an amazing husband too. I never had my feet rubbed until I was pregnant. it took immediate stress & tired out of my body. my hubby did it every day. don't stop when she is not pregnant. My hubby has rubbed my feet most every day for 35 years it is small act but it shows so much love.

you said she makes cards...how about stamps...they make all kinds..rubber.. clear plastic...they can be expensive but many are $1-5.
they have heart shapes, baby ones, anythingcard greetings too...ink pads are the same way can be expensive but many are $1-2 -5. they have many colors so you could get a quantity of them cheap.
stickles are 2 bucks & most card makers love them. they have many colors & you do not need to worry about her having the same color because she will run out & need more.
you could get her packs of flowers & break them up to put in a daily gifts.
packs of bling can be cheap. I will put some of these below
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by anda11 on 09-06-14 12:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to anda11

I just thought of something else. Last year my sister-in-law was not organised with Christmas lists for niece and nephew (aged 10 and 7) so we gave them a book of hand-made vouchers each. They contained items such as:
- 10 minutes playing Angry Birds on Uncle's iPad
- craft items to the value of X
- t-shirt to the value of X
We gave the money to their mother to buy them what they wanted, and they absolutely loved them.

You could do the same thing, except redeemable against things like foot rubs, back rubs, ice-cream after 10pm, getting her a bizarre 3am pregnancy craving - think up your own and include some silly ones to make her laugh. Instead of a book of vouchers, you could write them out on slips of paper, fold them up and put them in a mason jar for her to take one once a week.

The others have given you some gorgeous crafty suggestions too. If you incorporate "free" gifts, you'll be able to afford the more costly items like the Copic markers.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

HOW TOTALLY SWEET!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I am sure you will find some great ideas on here!
mg

jwt111 
New Kid On the Block

Thank you for that wonderful Idea. I love it! I have a friend whose dad owns a print shop so I am going to see if I could have something done professionally.

jwt111 
New Kid On the Block
In response to jwt111

Thank you so much ladies for all of your wonderful ideas. I really appreciate your creative minds and the time you took to share. I think all of the products you suggested sound great and I am going to do some shopping this week. I also appreciate the suggestions that do not cost anything. I think I am going to run with the idea of doing a theme each week. I also thought about doing a larger gift at the end of each trimester to celebrate progress. I have already started some coupons and am going to add the suggestions you gave me. Again thank you so much for all your help all of you have been such a blessing!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to jwt111

You're very welcome. All the best with the gifts, and please come back and tell us how you got on, and show us the new arrival!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics