Page 59 of 59 
Username Post: Cardmakers chat group.        (Topic#1598503)
andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to cpadelford

Just a reminder that Danielle's b day is the 11th. Time to get those cards sent if you haven't already.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to andrea m

Hello
We got the flu me and my husband not at great time. I am feel little Better but my husband not feel great. I am a big city person and I miss it seen we live in little town now. I been stay away from my scrapbook room.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to southern lady

Got mine sent!

Danielle, sorry the flu bug got ya.
Hope you’re feeling better by your birthday.

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford
In response to ChansGram

Good job, Trish! I sent mine, too, on Monday.

Hope you and the Hubs feel better really soon, Danielle, so you can celebrate on your birthday and get back into that scrapbook room!

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Love how on top of everything you ladies are. Mine went out yesterday.

Danielle sorry you and dh are sick.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to andrea m

Sent mine out on Wednesday! I can't wait to start my next one.

Danielle, sorry about the flu bug! I hope you recover quickly and enjoy your birthday weekend.

I'm off to scrap with friends today. I cannot wait!! No cards today as I will be catching up on an album that my son asked me for years ago. He wants one for his high school years. I was working on it and then set it aside. I think I'm just starting his junior year. I want to get this done!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to don1

• don1 Said:
Puyallup = pew-al-up.

Well, I've been slaughtering this pronunciation for years! Thanks!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• cpadelford Said:

Jen, I lived in the Russian Hill neighborhood in SF. Worked for BC/BS downtown on California St, then later for Union Oil at the Embarcadero. I was footloose and fancy-free (read: single and in my 20's) and had the time of my life! So many wonderful memories. Now DH and I try to get there for long weekends several times a year. And every time I go back, it kinda feels like going home, even though it's not where I was raised. Strange, huh? Anyway . . .

Oh, and about the mirror board . . . It's just heavyweight cardstock with a high-polish, mirror-like finish that comes in copper, gold and silver versions. I love working with it - it satisfies my thing-for-bling, don'tcha know!

I do know that feeling! My family lives in HI. Every time I go, it's like I'm going home. Lots of memories, plus I know my way around and my grandmother made sure I knew the culture. I didn't grow up there, but it's got that "home" feeling. In addition to growing up in the outer sunset, I worked in the Financial District in my 20's/30's. I was commuting in from the East Bay by that time. It was awesome being in the city, but the commute and having to rush home to get kids from daycare sucked.

I don't think I've seen mirror board. I bet I have seen it but didn't think twice about it. It sounds neat, though.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• cpadelford Said:
I like that we are still 'flying under the radar,' so to speak. Keeps us from being overcrowded and overrun.

That's my town. We are "small" by Bay Area standards and we've flown under the radar for years. Sadly, we are seeing a lot of changes that started happening about a year ago. I think we are very close to being overrun. We can still escape to our Main Street where it's quaint and removed from traffic, but the cities East of us are booming with housing, and traffic flows from San Fran through our city on the way to the East County cities. Our freeways are changing, and more and more commuters are stopping by in our town to kill time, or worse, using our side roads as driving alternatives. Boooooo.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to Luvmyfam

Jen have a blast scrapbooking with friends.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to andrea m

thanks everyone who sent me birthday cards.

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford

You're welcome, Danielle. Hope you had a very Happy Birthday and that you and your husband are feeling better.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

i managed to finally get all my valentines out. I am working on one last one for dh.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford
In response to andrea m

Got my local Val's Day cards in the mail yesterday, just finishing up my DH's today, too, Andrea.

I have so many cards to make - birthdays, new house, thank you, get well, sympathy . . . I wish I could stockpile some so I'd have them when it's time to send instead of having to carve out time to make a 'fresh one' for every occasion.

I'm sort of a perfectionist (but honestly only about my own stuff, never anyone else's) so I take forever, not just in the making, but also in even deciding *what* to make! Anyone else have that issue?

I know some people make several of the same cards at once, when they have all their stuff out, so they have extras to use when needed, but I'm always in such a rush, I see that as time I don't have.

I know - it's a time management issue. I once signed up for a seminar on efficient time management but - you guessed it - canceled at the last minute because I couldn't spare the time to go!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 02-12-18 01:32 PM

I made 15 Valentines ATC's for the swap yesterday at 2:00PM. I was all packed up and ready to go. I remembered at dinner last night.
I don't think I've lost all my marbles, but there is definitely a hole in the bag.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to don1

Clair i am exactly the same. I am always feeling behind on my card making. I dont like making more than one of a card unless its Christmas. I need to take some time to make several b day cards so i just have some on hand

I went shopping and got the stuff to make my kid's candy bouquets for v days. I made three as i made one for my ds's girlfriend as well. It took most of the day so dh's card is still half done. I have stuff colored at least.

Edited by andrea m on 02-13-18 08:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford
In response to don1

Oh, Don! So sorry you missed your swap - but you've got a lot on your mind lately, what with the Queen's injury and all.

It's not funny, I know, but the way you put it, about the marbles, definitely *is*. I, for one, can relate!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

The hole in my marble bag is quite large and I seem to be constantly slipping and sliding on all these confounded marbles lying underfoot. Sorry you missed your swap, Don, but think of it as being way ahead for next year's swap.

I always print my ellie-logo along with the month/year on the back of my cards before I start adhering things, so I can't very well make them in advance. One time I thought I'd be smart and get Christmas cards all signed, sealed, addressed, and stamped (back in pre-cardmaking days) and my uncle died. I had to come up with a card for my aunt, plus wasted the envelope and stamp since it's a bit awkward to just cross out the "Mr." in the address. Ever since I can't get it out of my head that his sudden death...before Christmas...was my fault. I know...not rational, but see above...(big hole in the marble bag). :>) I just can't bring myself to make cards for specific people in advance anymore. Even for generic cards I still like to make them with specific people in mind...and usually run out of time and send a store-bought card. I guess I really don't belong on this thread. Is there a thread for Wanna Be Cardmakers?

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford
In response to mrsdriver5

Judy, you are too funny! You do so belong here! Honestly, there are days I wish I hadn't started sending handmade cards to family and friends. Inside my head, I'm sure they'll think I'm mad at them or love them less or something if I don't send a handmade card every time. Especially when they tell me how they love my cards, never throw them away, keep them on the mantle, right next to Bootsie's ashes, etc. OMG, how can I let them down, knowing all that? *~sigh~*

Anyway, here's one I very much enjoyed making. It's for The Hubs. I was going for masculine but got carried away with the bling. He won't mind, though. He's good like that.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 02-12-18 05:47 PM

Andrea I didn't make them yesterday. We have a month to make them. Fortunately we got an extra week because of the Super Bowl.
Being a Senior is made up of 3 parts; wondering why your back hurts, being exhausted, and looking for that thing you just had.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to don1

LOL, Don.

Judy, you are funny.

Claire, you are cracking me up, too. I also got into the handmade card cycle. People at work expected them, and were put out if I substituted store bought if I was busy. That all ended a year and a half ago when my granddaughter arrived 3 months early. It was MONTHS before I was available to make cards again, and no one said a word, so I just let it go!!! It's like a monkey off my back. Now I make a few cards at a time as needed. I will make my DH's ahead of time, though, as his office is in view of my craft room. I make them when he's not around.

Danielle, you are welcome. I hope you had a nice birthday.

Andrea, I love those bouquets that you make.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to Luvmyfam

Don i read your post wrong.

Judy you 100% belong here.

I feel the pressure of making homemade cards. I just dont always have time to make one and like a lot of you making ahead with out a person in mind is just about impossible for me. Every year i tell myself i am going to try and do it and i just cant seem to do it.

Jen thanks on the bouquets. If any one would like to see what i am talking about i have a few in my gallery from the last several years.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to andrea m

Omg....I’m literally sitting here wondering why my back hurts- even had a conversation minutes ago with DS about it. Why does my back hurt- I didn’t do anything to make it hurt!!
Don, you crack me up!

I haven’t been working on anything.
I need to snap out of it.
But on the up side to that is I haven’t bought anything either!!
It’s all about balance!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 02-13-18 01:52 PM
In response to ChansGram

Trish, don't talk to your kids about your aches and pains. DS is probably right now checking out area rest homes.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to don1

• don1 Said:
Trish, don't talk to your kids about your aches and pains. DS is probably right now checking out area rest homes.

Does someone else clean the room? Does someone else make the bed? Does someone else do the cooking and then clean-up the kitchen? I think I'm ready. Hope my kids find me a good one.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Here is the card that I sent Danielle.

Wow....posting products that I used was downright difficult! I do not like this sb.c change.

May All Your Dreams Come True By Luvmyfam

Edited by Luvmyfam on 02-13-18 08:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• mrsdriver5 Said:
  • don1 Said:

Does someone else clean the room? Does someone else make the bed? Does someone else do the cooking and then clean-up the kitchen? I think I'm ready. Hope my kids find me a good one.

You guys are cracking me up!

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to Luvmyfam

Judy, Maybe if we go in on the room together we could share scrappy supplies?

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to ChansGram

• ChansGram Said:
Judy, Maybe if we go in on the room together we could share scrappy supplies?

Sounds like a plan! We'd probably need a pretty big room...I have lots of crafting goodies and I bet you do also. Many of mine are in like-new condition, but you could help me use it all. Hopefully the room comes with good maid service! We'll be much too busy inking and spraying and cutting and embossing to bother cleaning up! Just think...someone else to clean up our glittery mess! (Not sure where I'll hide hubby, but I'll put a TV and computer with games on it in front of him and he'll be happy. )

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

you guys crack me up.

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford
In response to andrea m

Judy and Trish - Can I come visit you guys in The Home for a scrap-over? I'll bring the bling! And I'd love to help break-in Judy's like-new crafty stuff.

Here's my contribution for Danielle's birthday
:

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Pretty card, Claire! Sure, stop by our room at The Home and help spread glitter. The more bling the merrier!

I'm thinking I won't really have to worry about where to put Hubby because he'll either be out working in the gardens or doing some remodeling to make The Home more to our liking. I'm sure they won't mind if he takes down a wall or two to give us a bit more space to make our mess...or I mean, to celebrate our awesome craftiness. He'll think he's still at home since I usually have some remodeling scheme in mind. OK, let me re-do that last sentence. He'll think he's still at home since I always have several remodeling schemes in mind and in progress. Anyway, I think he'll be busy enough that he won't bother us.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I need to see if I have that embossing folder, Claire. It's really pretty and I like the added butterflies. I know I have a lot of emb. folders. Those times that J's has them for a couple of dollars...I mean, who has, or wants, the power to resist?

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford

Yes, Judy, that embossing folder and a butterfly punch or two and you can have a pretty card for many different occasions in just a few minutes.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Just a few minutes It would take me half a day just to find the folder and punch. Wait. A "punch or two". That's going to take more than half a day to find. Add another couple of days to find the top of my work table and by then it's too late to send the card. I'm planning on having everything much more organized when I arrive at The Home. For now, it's just organized on the computer.

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford

Judy, you are a riot!

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Good morning.

I am hoping to get some time to work on the new class that came out today. I also have a pile of stamps on my table for b day cards. I am hoping to get a few made in advance. That is such a struggle for me and i really need to make it happen.

I love the look of embossing folders on others cards but never like how mine turn out.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• cpadelford Said:
Yes, Judy, that embossing folder and a butterfly punch or two and you can have a pretty card for many different occasions in just a few minutes.

*snort*

I love that embossing folder, too!

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to Luvmyfam

See what happens when I don’t check in everyday?......
Now I’m late packing to get to the Home.
Judy’s going to get there first and take all the good spots.

Andrea, are there a certain amount of classes or do they just keep going? It’s good that you’re enjoying them.

Claire, very pretty card!

I too have lots of embossing folder....that never get used.
Love the look of it, just rarely use them.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to ChansGram

i haven't been make cards in awhile. i want to learn to color but i need to find color pencils and learn how to use them.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Trish If you sign up you get a new class every month and your pay pal is charged, Just like a kit club. We also get a lot of free classes and digital stamps as rewards for being signed up. You can also buy technique classes which are more but you get a ton of info in them. I get the monthly class plus i have purchased two technique classes. This month we are coloring lilies in a glass jar for the pencils class.

dh and i are going out to v day dinner tonight. We try and avoid restaurants on the actual day. I am going to be doing laundry and working on my new class while i wait for each load.

Any one have any fun weekend plans?

Danielle i recommend prisma colored pencils as i feel they are the easiest to blend. The only way to learn is to just start coloring. There are lots of free you tube videos. I have learned a ton from the classes i am taking.

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford
In response to andrea m

Andrea, we have the same lilies-in-a-glass coloring image for the markers class. I haven't gotten around to the coloring class for last month yet - the one with the owl and the hydrangea flowers and the girl with all the hair! I do want to do that for the techniques. Just don't know when I'll get to it. I'm really falling behind because I've had so much on my plate lately.

Since DH is a master at the backyard grill, I opted for a nice evening at home with one of his fabulous grilled steak-and-lobster dinners for Valentine's day. But, wouldn't you know, it rained like crazy - in this place that has 360 days a year of pure sunshine - so we put it off until tonight.

Tomorrow night DH and I are hosting one of our monthly Game Nights. There are two other couples who love games as much as we do and we have a blast when we all get together. We take turns hosting and the hosts make dinner - the entrée and the sides - for everyone. The other two couples bring the appetizers, the dessert and the wine. Then, after dinner, we play. And we play lots of different games - board games, card games, reverse charades, whatever - we're always looking for new ones. But, thanks to the great dynamic among all three couples, we just have a great time, no matter what we play, laughing till it hurts and playing into the wee hours. We really look forward to it every month.

This is why I cant' go to The Home full-time with Judy and Trish. Can't miss my Game Nights!

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Claire I am jealous of game night. It sounds like a blast. I love board games and cards but dh is not a fan. My bff comes to visit once a year and we play games have some drinks and visit for several days. It is a blast. Have a great time.

My dh loves to grill and bbq as well. He does ribs that he cooks for 12 hours. They are to die for. He grills year round no matter the weather. He even does our turkeys during the holidays.

I am never caught up with classes. And i am fine with it. I just do what i can and enjoy learning.

Edited by andrea m on 02-16-18 01:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to andrea m

Claire, game night sounds like a blast! It's been over a year since we had a game night with friends at our house. The last game night was Cards Against Humanity. CAD is not for the faint of heart! Terry and I love backgammon and Bananagrams.

Our Valentine's dinner was for 3 at a romantic Italian restaurant nearby. We met up at the restaurant at 5 and avoided the crowds that came later. It was actually nice having Stephen with us.

Not much going on this weekend. I need to work on our tax return. I have 3 days off, so I will also get some crafting done. We have dentist appointments this morning. Nothing exciting.

Digital stamp question.... I learned to Stamp with Memento ink when coloring with Copics to prevent colors from bleeding across lines. Is the bleeding an issue when printing out digital stamps?

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford
In response to andrea m

Andrea, ribs are the best thing you can make on a grill. My mouth is watering just thinking about them!

I'm running around with my hair on fire, trying to get everything ready for tonight so I can't stay but I wanted to share this card I was up until 3 am making for my SIL and her significant other, who we're seeing early next week. Have a great weekend everyone, see you on Monday!

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Jen yes bleeding can be an issue with digital stamps and copics. I have not done a whole lot of coloring with my copics. Some people say to heat set the ink. Some say to let it dry on its own for awhile before coloring. I also know some people buy and use a spray fixative to set the ink. I can not play around with any of the ideas until i get a new printer. The one i have will not print on my copic paper. Maybe Claire knows more about it.

your v day dinner sounds fun with the three of you. On Valentines day we actually had my dh's Aunt and cousin over and dd made everyone tacos. I made brownies. We had a great night.

Edited by andrea m on 02-17-18 12:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to andrea m

Claire, how was game night?

Andrea, thanks for the digital image info. What exactly is copic paper? I usually use a thick type of drawing paper, and now I can't remember what it's called or what the weight is, and I'm too lazy to trudge upstairs and look at it, LOL. We need a new copier as well. Ours broke a few months ago and we've gone as long as we can without it. We ordered a new one last night. Your valentine's dinner sounds great! I think we will be back to dinner for 2 by next V'day. Stephen plans to move to Texas after he finishes his thesis.

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford
In response to Luvmyfam

Jen, game night was awesome! So much fun! Our dinner was, according to our friends and the number of second servings and spankin' clean plates we cleared, very well enjoyed. We usually try to do something pretty special, even gourmet-ish, for our game night dinners as a special treat for each other but this time, just for a change of pace, I opted to make a 'Blue Plate Special.' A few years ago I finally found a meat loaf recipe that everyone loves so I made meat loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh green beans sautéed with bacon and onions and warm yeast rolls. They loved it.

After dinner, we played a 'midnight' (adult) version of Taboo, where you have to get your team to guess a certain word but there are 5 words you can't say for clues. Harder than it sounds and fun, but quite tame, actually, by Cards Against Humanity standards, which we've also played a number of times. Ever played Exploding Kittens? Another OMG but hilariously funny game, played with the right (read: twisted and warped) friends, LOL! Then we had dessert and coffee and played Catch Phrase after that. We always laugh ourselves silly with that one. We've played it on an off for years and it never gets old.

All in all, another very successful game night that broke up about 2:30 am. Needless to say, my wagon is draggin' today!

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford

As for the digital image/Copics issue, I am no expert by any means but here's what I have learned:

By sheer chance, I found out that my printer, a Canon PIXMA iX6820, that I bought about 2 years ago for the simple reason that it has a straight-through, flat paper path that doesn't bend the paper and is perfect for cardmaking, uses a type of ink that works especially well with Copics, not smearing the printed black outlines. I have heard or read somewhere that other printer inks may also work if you use Andrea's suggestion of either letting them dry overnight or setting them with a heat gun. However, I have also heard that that doesn't work at all. I think it just depends on the brand of printer and the ink formulation they use. I just got lucky with the Canon.

As far as the paper goes, I have found that to be the key factor in controlling the bleeding issue with Copic markers. I bought a sample pack of Copic-friendly papers and have only used a couple so far but I found one that works *so* much better than ordinary CS - even the 80# smooth that I typically use for card bases. My preference, so far, is the Copic Xpress It. That's what I used to color the 'Stay Cozy' image with the little mousies and hot chocolate mug in my gallery. No bleeding issues at all. I have yet to try most of the others but I'll report back if/when I do.

That's as much as I know, for what it's worth.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Claire your game night sound so fun.

I had a cannon pixma for years and loved it. I will be buying a new one when i go back to work and have some money. No budget to be spending right now.

Jen i use neenah solar white 110 lb cardstock for my copics. . A good thick smooth cardstock is what is usually used and many companys sell their own brands for copics. It seems each person likes something different.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to andrea m

Here is my feb pencils class from kit and clowder. I just loved coloring this. I need a thank you card for dd's school counselor and this w thanks By Andrea Mill be perfect.

cpadelford
Veteran
cpadelford
In response to andrea m

OMG, Andrea, that's fabulous! What a great job you did on the coloring! I LOVE it!

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Thank you claire. I was just so thrilled with how it came out. I hope to see yours soon.

Page 59 of 59 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics