Username Post: softening paper colors        (Topic#1598589)
ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom

A few months back, I saw a tip for softening bright colors in papers. I just pulled out a brightly colored paper I want to use, and of course, I can't find that tip anywhere. Do any of you have ideas for toning down those too bright colors?

ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom
In response to ddcmsmom

I should clarify - the technique involved using either paint or ink, but I'm not sure what kind was used. If you've got any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to ddcmsmom

I have tried whitewashing over patterned paper and it toned it down. Never tried anything real. It was a technique class and only on a small area ( we were working on 5x7).

Tiffany428
New Kid On the Block
Tiffany428
In response to corrie fan

I recently saw a Youtube video by Nicolejones911 in which she used a gesso to white wash her paper to tone it down. I'll see if I can find it....

Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oV5gLNo5jU&a mp;list=UU...

She covered the whole entire page. And I guess you can go lighter or heavier with the gesso to your liking.

Edited by Tiffany428 on 09-14-14 04:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SherylEb
Diva
SherylEb
In response to Tiffany428

I've seen gesso, then wipe, spread it around with a wet baby wipe. Vickypgr has some great videos and she uses this.

BonjourScrap
Expert
BonjourScrap
In response to SherylEb

What about lightly distressing it with sandpaper ?

ashley.calder
Veteran
ashley.calder
In response to BonjourScrap

I've toned down paper using a mix of gesso or white acrylic paint, plus matte gel. The combination makes a sort of white glaze.
I've also used watered-down gesso, but it tends to be a bit messier and warp the paper a bit more (which doesn't really bother me, but I know some people don't like that side effect!).

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to ashley.calder

this is a great idea

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to anda11

I've dry-brushed white acrylic paint onto busy patterned paper to make a frame for the photos. If you just put a little paint on a dry brush and brush it on lightly, you can still see the pattern through it,

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Layer a sheet of vellum over it.

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel
In response to ddcmsmom

I usually use a coat of gesso for those too bright colors.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to rebeccakeppel

What would happen if you brush on some bleach (but not enough to warp the paper) and use a hair dryer to dry it?

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Solitaire

Bleach? Well your paper wouldn't be neutral pH any more if you did that! It would be pretty though. You can get some lovely effects with bleach.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I think I used tim holts white picket fence dabbers a time or two to tone down the paper. it's paint but it's thinnish and transparent, if the paper is cardstock quality, it'll be okay.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ddcmsmom

Since paper is my favorite & most abundant supply, I can usually avoid the dilemma by selecting a different color of cardstock or patterned paper. Otherwise, some techniques:

- Vellum - covering the entire background or added as strips for texture

- Strips - paper, washi, or ribbon break up the brightness & add dimension

- Mist - a light color sprayed over the entire sheet softens the bold color/pattern & adds interest

- Acrylic paint - usually white, dry brushed over the entire sheet adds movement

HTH

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to *angela

I have used chalk. great thing about chalk is you can erase it if you don't like the result.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics