Username Post: Mailing / Postage        (Topic#1599353)
Sharon Leigh
Veteran
Sharon Leigh

I am brand new to Cardmaking. I made one style and repeated it ten times for some Halloween invitations loved doing them. They were a standard A2 card but with embellishments they had a little added thickness. For this reason I took them to the post office and asked the price of postage. After passing one of the card around to four different employees, they literally just guessed at what the Cost would be. I see myself doing more cards so my question is: How do you determine postage? Do you take every item to the post office, have a postage scale or use
some service like stamps.com. I'd prefer not going to the post office every time if there is an alternative.

Thanks you
Sharon

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Sharon Leigh

I found that the problems that arise with my cards isn't the weight but more the bulk. I usually pay an extra 20 cents to have them hand stamped so they don't get stuck in any machines. If it's real bulky I will go in and ask them to hand stamp. Otherwise I just throw an additional 20 cent stamp on it and drop it in the mail. I haven't had any come back to me. I noticed that hand processing it seems to slow down the delivery though so I mail them a couple days earlier. For the most part I've learned to embellish a little flatter design. No big flowers or ribbon with big knots or bows. One layer of demensional tape is as far as I go.

New Kid On the Block
In response to olleharr

One thing that I found at the post office is that there is no rhyme or reason to the postage. Four different clerks will give you four different answers. I don't even think they know themselves. Wish there was more uniformity in that department.

BTW Olleharr, the postage for extra bulk or handstamping is now 21 cents. It went up with the last postage increase.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Fifi Larue

LOL! That figures. Well...I haven't gotten any of them back yet. I do know it takes twice as long to get there if it's hand stamped for some reason too. Mail that usually gets to it's destination in 4 days has taken as long as 10 days. It's so frustrating. I try real hard to keep my cards nice and slim lined as possible these days. No more pretty flowers or gems. Lots of stamping and inking techniques along with diecuts.

samkit 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Sharon Leigh

What I have been doing since I have been mailing hand made cards is to take my heaviest card that I plan to mail to the post office and get them to weigh it and quote me a price, Usually it is the price of a regular stamp. I have not hade one returned to me yet. Ollehar mentioned that she keeps the bulk of the card down. I do that too. Hope that helps.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to samkit

I have decided to just use the small bubble mailers because they have, "handle with care" printed right on the front.
So far, I just use 4 stamps and it works.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to bonprof

I don't mail a lot of cards, but then again, I'm brand new to card making so that may change.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to bonprof

I have made and send many cards, some flat some kind of bulky, some with lots of sharp areas like metal flower brads.

I try to use the standard A2 size maybe a 5x7 (whatever size that is) and on occasion 5 inch square cards.

Cost: usually one stamp, square cards cost more so rather than go to the PO I put two stamps on it. If I mail in a padded envelope then you might want to take it to the PO and see what the standard price is then use that amount for postage each time.

I don't worry so much about the weight, it seems to be all about size. I have put a bulky A2 in an envelope and it mailed fine with one stamp. No problems with extra postage required.

NOTE: If it is bulky I will crimp and extra sheet of paper (approximately the same size as the card front) then place it over the front of the card so it will not get caught up in their sorting machines.

A "little extra" thickness does not seem to cost extra, if you had large stick pins, bulky ribbons, or thick metal brads, those I will pad with crimped paper. AND still, if it fits it ships!! Of course there can always be an exception to the rule.

I try to avoid the PO at all costs!!! They just are not very friendly and the only one was was friendly was promoted and shipped out to another Postal station!!

Faye A.
New Kid On the Block
Faye A.
In response to Sewflake

We are really lucky that our post office is in a small historical district a mile from our home. Just one postmaster (Michael) who is friendly and does a great job. I'm going to buy a small postal scale because I have had cards go over the 1 ounce limit for first class. Better for me than guesstimating.

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora
In response to Faye A.

I put 2 stamps on my cards when I send them but I don't send them often. I mostly just give people the cards I create!!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 12-03-17 05:08 PM
In response to Just Nora

Don't put your return on the envelope.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics