Username Post: What are the 5 chalk-ink colors you use the most?        (Topic#1599987)
Veteran

So I have finally decided to invest in some chalk inks and stickles, but there are SOOOOO many color choices, I'm having a hard time deciding. Whatckles are the colors of chalk ink and stickles you go through most quickly?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to preraphaelitess

I love Prima chalk inks - I'd say my most-used are Black Coal, Old Road (dark gray), one of the browns (Dark Rust, Dark Bark, Branch Bark, Rusty Bucket are all nice), and maybe English Ivy and Brick Wall.

I only have a few colors of Stickles, but I really enjoy Frosted Lace.

boysmom
Idol
boysmom
In response to aquabunny

I like the Colorbox and Quick Quotes chalk inks. A dark gray or black and shades of brown are most useful for me. For Stickles, something relatively white or clear, like the frosted lace or Diamond is probably what I use most, but some nice bright colors, red or blue or whatever your favorite is, are more fun to use.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to boysmom

I love the prima inks.

the ones I use the most are
Dark Rust
Tin can
old road
shabby tote
Rusty keys

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to andrea m

I have a bunch of TH distress inks. I use Vintage Photo and Metallic a lot. I don't have a lot of chalk although I do like those. I have a bunch of Mixed Media Inx pads now. Love those.

Expert

I have a bunch of Versa color cubes and Kaisercraft cubes, and about 15 of the "cats eye" type. Lately I am using a lot of Celadon, Cinnamon, Seashell, Topaz and Umber in the Versa and Island, White,( Wine and Moss for Christmas stuff) in the Kaisercraft ones. I love Ink pads...even the old nearly dried up ones....sometimes they are enough for subtle colour edging

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to christiscraps61

I like the Color Box chalks the best. I got the Color Box archival inks by mistake once - won't do that again! It says "Chalk" on the top.

I have nearly every color I think - I bought them several years ago and only a few have ever been opened. I use black, darker grays and browns almost exclusively. Rarely do I use the others.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Henri Jean

Tim Holtz distressing inks:

Vintage Photo (a must for heritage work)
Bundled Sage
Tattered Rose

Staze on:
Purple, brown and green.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I probably use the neutrals the most....to ink the edges of tags, paper layers etc...

But I love using colours with stencils to make different patterns....turquoise, teal, navy, pale yellow, pale green, white, pink etc......

Stickles, I use white, black, silver, gold and Christmas colours, red & green the most.....I would highly recommend getting liquid pearls, though....I find more use for liquid pearls than Stickles these days......
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by kiyawinn on 11-18-14 03:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Veteran
In response to kiyawinn

Oooh! Thank you for all the suggestions ladies. I am tottally new to inking edges. I started scrapbooking 16 years ago and never did anything like that, then last year I started noticing how much more professional inked edges and what a HUGE difference it made to the entire page. Not knowing the difference between chalk ink and regular ink I bought some Tim Holtz distress ink and it just didn't have the same effect as the examples I'd seen from people at my LSS. The chalk ink is much less dramatic. But then of course I had all these Tim Holtz distress inks (well 4 of the tiny ones anyway) and no chalk inks. Of course I couldn't afford every color in the rainbow, so this has really helped my decisions. I'm going with a lot of the browns and a green, plus a light pink and a light blue since those seem to be the colors I'm using the most right now.
As for stickles, like Boysmom & Kiyawin, I went with the relatively clear and versatile stickles. Though I'm curious about frosted lace. What do you end up using it on, aquabunny, that was the first one I was attracted to, but then I couldn't think of what I'd use it on aside from wedding pages. Is it one that is kind of transparent.
Kiyawin, I'm curious why you like liquid pearls more. Are they more subdued? More versatile? Look better spread out over the page?
Thanks again, everyone!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

First, I have frosted lace and I use it a lot for winter and Christmas layouts....it works really well for embellishing snowflakes etc...

I like liquid pearls as they are more opaque, are very versatile and deeper in colour. They have a sheen to them without any glitter. They dry 3 dimensional (I think more so than Stickles)...
They work great as the centre for flowers, dots on butterflies, dotting "i", random dots on a page....
I haven't uploaded anything to the gallery in awhile but here's a 2 page layout where I've used liquid pearls (and grey chalk ink edging the journalling spot on pg 2)......

Birthday By Kiyawinn

Tenant
In response to kiyawinn

If you are just getting started on inked edges I would highly recommend Tim Holtz's Foam ink applicator/blending tool. It gives you so much more control. I know it may seem like a waste of money, but trust me, It makes a huge difference!
-Jenn

Expert
In response to jeferbrooks

100% agree with jeferbrooks, this inking tool is awesome, money well spent!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• preraphaelitess Said:
Though I'm curious about frosted lace. What do you end up using it on, aquabunny, that was the first one I was attracted to, but then I couldn't think of what I'd use it on aside from wedding pages. Is it one that is kind of transparent.

It's just a nice white glitter. I've only done one wedding layout since I started using Stickles, and didn't use any of it there. I don't do very many winter layouts either.

I can't embed anything since I'm posting from my iPod, but here's a layout about a frozen custard place we went to on vacation:
http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/ 3994651.h...

And here's where I used it to represent diced onions when altering a hot dog embellishment:
http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/other/5 187143.ht...

I know I've used it more than that - there's a reason I'm down to half a bottle of it - but nothing's coming to mind right now, and I'm way behind on gallery uploads so I may be forgetting some.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics