Username Post: 1/2 inch anywhere circle punch        (Topic#1601375)
ssp-la 
New Kid On the Block

I need to make some cards for a preschool job. The card stock cards will be laminated with 5 mil plastic. I need to cut 10 - 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes in each one. The holes are about 3 inches from the edge, so a standard punch won't work. (even if it could get through the plastic) Has anyone seen anything out there that might work? Maybe a punch head that is hammered with a hammer, or a spring punch with a 1/2 inch head?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to ssp-la

I'm thinking of the hammered punches that come with an eyelet setting kit - I've got one that does 3/16". Let me look around the store and see if I come up with anything to link.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to aquabunny

Hm, I don't see what I wanted to recommend here at Scrapbook.com. Search around for EK Success eyelet tools, which usually come with hole-punching tools as well as setting tools. They used to make some spring-loaded ones, and also some of the type that hammer in, but I can't think of anything larger than 3/16" to 1/4".

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to aquabunny

Sizzix used to have something called paddle punches that could punch anywhere. There were a few circles. Although I don't know the sizes I'm thinking they might have been, 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4". Problem is they aren't sold anymore so you'd have to find one on Ebay or similar.

ssp-la 
New Kid On the Block
In response to disneylisa

Thanks. That looks like it would work. I spent the last half hour scouring the web for the 1/2 inch punch circle #3 38-1074, no luck. But thanks!

Scrapjanny
Veteran
Scrapjanny
In response to ssp-la

If you have a sewing or fabric store nearby, you can check their notions department. I was thinking an eyelet punch as well.

Would this work?

Crop-a-Dile
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Scrapjanny on 01-21-15 05:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Scrapjanny

If you have a Silhouette or Cricut, you could cut them out with that.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Rosita

The Big Bite should be able to do it. It will go in up to 6 inches and is strong enough to go through many materials.

http://store.scrapbook.com/wr-70911-4.html

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Solitaire

I wonder what the biggest hole size a Big Bite would punch? Can anyone who has one have a quick check? I have the regular Crop-A-Dile and the biggest circle it cuts is less than a quarter inch.

I wish I had something useful to offer but I don't, so I'll just wish you good luck with your project.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to RedSquirrel UK

It's 3/8", less than 1/4. But you can punch two or three holes next to each other to make it bigger, and that might work. That's what I did with my Big Bite when I needed to run a ribbon through the hole.
Products Referenced in This Post:

ssp-la 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Solitaire

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I know it's been a while, but I got busy. I decided against the Big Bite because I didn't want rough edges from multiple holes. I came up with a solution. I haven't tried it yet, but I got the materials to do it. I went to the hardware store and bought some copper pipe fittings. On one end is a thin wall copper pipe, and the other a thicker threaded copper pipe. $7 in all for two. I bought a 3/4 and a 1/2 inch. I plan to use a file to sharpen the pipe end, and then just place and pound to cut a circle. I am not sure how the laminate will stick with a single 1/2 hole through everything, but if that doesn't work, I will cut a 3/4 hole in the card stock, laminate, and then cut a 1/2 hole through the laminate, leaving some edge to seal the card stock in. Thanks again.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to ssp-la

If your pipes don't work, you might try checking at a leather-working store, like Tandy's.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics