Username Post: Newbie filled with questions        (Topic#1653157)
Misty729
New Kid On the Block
Misty729

Good Morning,

I have two quick questions and welcome any comments or suggestions.
1. To adhere scrapbook paper to a canvas, piece of cardstock, etc. which glue/adhesive works best.
2. Does anyone sell products that they make either online or in another selling market?

Thanks so much for your time

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Misty729

Good morning - from your avatar it looks like you are a red hatter! I was very active in Georgia but never found a chapter since I moved to Florida. Really miss it.

I use an ATG gun which is large and takes a time or two to get used to but the tape is acid free and is the most economical in the long run although the gun thing is an investment up front. It is about $40 if you pay full price but you can find them everywhere in places that use 50% off coupons.

Its confusing to fill the first time but the packaging comes with a diagram so you can thread it in seconds. And, inside when you open it up to fill it there are arrows which show the direction the tapes runs so I can fill it now in 5 or 6 seconds. Its very easy.

I bought mine because it is what everyone else seemed to be using and I quickly found out why. They are awesome and super simple to use! And the rolls of tape last and last and last.

Misty729
New Kid On the Block
Misty729
In response to Henri Jean

Yes, I am a Red Hat Queen and Ambassador, and love it! We have 15 of us in my chapter and really enjoy the sisterhood we share. Maybe you can start a chapter where you are and get back into it!
Thank you for the information on the ATG gun, I had been looking at them and wondering if I could maneuver it!! I read so many good things about them. I might just make that investment now.

Thank you again and enjoy the weekend

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Misty729

The ATG is good but, a little harder if you are left handed.

I would also recommend you have a variety of adhesive in your stash. It sounds like you do different kinds of paper crafting so I think a liquid like a zip dry or Scotch has a clear one e with a fine tip that dries clear. I also love scor tape it comes in a variety of widths.
If you get the ATG I would also suggest a small or micro tape runner to help with corners or tighter places.

Zig glue pen and of course the Xyron 150 aka X love it for small intricate embellishments. Glue dots are great too.
I am sure others will have some great advice on adhesive as well.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 09-06-15 12:47 PM
In response to jaxxan

1. To adhere scrapbook paper to a canvas, piece of cardstock, etc. which glue/adhesive works best.
You mean besides duct tape? I like Scor-Tape. You could also use Mod Podge or a spray adhesive.
2. Does anyone sell products that they make either online or in another selling market?
I have never sold any of my creations. I have been asked to make some objects to sell at an art show the senior community I live in is putting together. I doubt anyone will by my stuff. I just enjoy giving my stuff away. It's a hobby.

Misty729
New Kid On the Block
Misty729
In response to jaxxan

Thanks Jill, all your information/suggestions are appreciated. I have a few of the standard glue type adhesives and scor pal. I will add more as you suggest since I do work on many different projects. I guess it takes time to build up a good stock of crafting items!

Thank you again, I do appreciate your time

Stella

Misty729
New Kid On the Block
Misty729
In response to don1

Thanks don't appreciate it and your humor! I have plenty of decorative duct tape on hand from previous projects! I watched a video on UTube of someone using Mod Podge on canvas, it looked quite easy. But I've learned never judge a book by its cover!

I sell my cards at a local Flea Market where I also sell jewelry and other items. If it was just cards, I would starve! LOL I'm doing a festival in Nov and will showcase many of my scrapbook items. I read some of your other posts in the past and you seem to have it all together that's an art in itself!

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Misty729

What Jill said - I have heard that they are very awkward for people who are left handed. I had forgotten about that. My father was left handed and many things that were simple for the rest of us was really awkward for him. However, he had the prettiest handwriting and was very talented with wood projects! Don't know if being left handed had anything to do with it but he was creative!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Henri Jean

Welcome

I use a lot of different adhesives. For canvas, I use the Mod Podge or Matte Medium. Both are strong and I believe both are a sealant. I know for sure the Mod Podge is.

For other items, I am an ATG user and I sometimes use a Glue Glider Pro. I also have ScorTape and the red line tape.

For liquid glues, I like the Tombow, Zig Pen and the Scotch Quick Dry. Oh and I can't forget the Glossy Accents.

I use more, but these are my go to adhesives....again, welcome to the forum!

TheCraftBunny
Resident
TheCraftBunny
In response to HisGEM

I'm pretty new at scrapbooking compared to a lot of people here. I am only a year into this. I have both dry and wet adhesive at home.

I started with glue sticks but very quickly I realized they are too messy to work with. So I changed to more professional adhesive. For the sake of really holding things down, I use tombow glue and glossy accents. Glossy accents can also be added onto anything to add shine! For dry adhesive, I use red line tape.

I sell my mini albums on etsy. My shop is called thecraftbunny.

Veteran
In response to TheCraftBunny

Welcome! Asking a scrapbooker what type of adhesive they use is like asking a Michaelangelo what media he uses for his art. You know you are really addicted to scrapbooking when you get tingles walking down the adhesive aisle at walmart. LOL!

Personally, I use a bunch of different stuff, but for actual photos, a lot of times I like to use transparent photo corners. They don't altar the way your photo looks, and they keep them down but no glue actually touches the photo so you can easily pull it out and protect it.

Oh, and don't mind Don. He likes to be silly. He's really a very helpful long-time resident on here. One time he offerred me a snickers when I didn't "feel like myself".

Whatever adhesives you try just remember what works best for one person doesn't always work for another. My suggestion is experiment and have fun!

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 09-08-15 05:59 PM
In response to preraphaelitess

I second the ATG...have had mine for several years and really love it! Another favorite is the Tombow Mono Liquid Glue. It's awesome! I was skeptical at first but my SU rep told me about it and after trying I was hooked. A little goes a long way!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to LeeLo

Somebody mentioned the redline tape - excellent product. I use it when my paper is a funky texture or glitter and things don't stick well or when something is heavy and I need extra sticking power.

I love the glue dot minis too for flowers and bulkier things that may be too much for the ATG to handle.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Misty729

I want to say WELCOME
I have a thread here titled what are you working on this week & weekend ? We talk about everything things we are working on..things we are planning to work on..things we bought.. things we did or places we are going to crop we talk about everything I would be thrilled if you joined us in that thread

MichaelaJordanScrapbooking
In response to anda11

I think there are a number of ways that you could do that. The best might be either permanent ATG adhesive or a form of modge podge.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Misty729

• Misty729 Said:
...... I have a few of the standard glue type adhesives and scor pal.
Stella

Not sure if the score pal was a typo but in case I confused you.....
Scor Tape comes in a roll at varying widths great if you need a stronger hold on things or some just like it better.
For example I use it on mini albums since they get more wear and tear. Different companies offer it under different names

Yes, adhesive is something you collect as you go along and try new things.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics