Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: January 2016 Budget Challenge        (Topic#1660327)
Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

Details:
We're here to try to stay within limits on our scrappy/crafty spending, though we have plenty of enabling going on! We take turns hosting (whomever has time that particular month) as it gets a bit chaotic sometimes! We are a chatty bunch of savers and enablers! (Mostly enablers!)

The rules: List your scrappy budget for the whole month. Then list the high priority items that you want to buy this month!
OPTIONAL: List something you are NOT allowed to buy all month! (Forty lashes with a piece of wet twine if you cave in on that one!)

Tell us how much you spend throughout the month, and keep track of it as you spend. We like details about your shopping around here. No such thing as TMI! You do not have to include costs for adhesives, swaps, storage, gifts or shipping, unless you want to. Please round to the nearest dollar value.

Please enable and tempt us to buy the wonderful items we want....but don't tempt us to bust our budget!!!

Whatever works for you - a no buy challenge, a do this many layouts before I spend this much - whatever goes as long as there is some aspect of a budget involved. And yes we all bust now and then...no wet noodle flogging here.

Tammy - £100
Donna - $40
Sharon - $100 BUSTED 02 Jan
Tina - 0 BUSTED
Toni - $50
Rhonda - 0
Lily - $50
Amanda - 0
Sonja - $50 BUSTED
Linda - $25

Edited by Ladybing Tammy on 01-28-16 11:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Ladybing Tammy

I will be having a budget because I will be spending some money methinks

Budget - £100 (to get what I need and allow a few extras I might come across)

I want a couple things that are clearance at SU for my Hello December supplies and I want a Christmas specific album.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I would like to join this challenge! I need to have a budget and I also need to be accountable to someone. I tried not spending anything on scrap supplies, but that is not realistic. Ok, for the month of January, I pledge to spend no more than $40.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to bonprof

that isn't too bad Donna.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

I am going to post the names and budget on the front but it up to you all to do your math each time you spend. Also round to the nearest dollar please

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

I will join... I just can't figure a budget now that I won't be shopping on NYE which was a loophole day for 2015... so if I'm not shopping that budget free day then that means it will probably be in January that I go......

$100 for January!

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to Sewflake

I'm actually going to set a zero budget.
My scraproom is a disaster and needs major reorganization. I won't even have a free weekend to shop in a store so hopefully I can stick to it.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to tinadn

our first non spender!

toni-n-tn
Diva
toni-n-tn

As much as I would like to say none/zero, I can
never seem to live up to that. There is always
something I see/need. Plus our scrapbooking store
is having a clearance to make way for the new stuff
coming in, and I hadn't been there in a long time,
so I'm thinking a trip there may be something I might
make happen.

I'll say $50.00

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to toni-n-tn

hi Toni! Nice to see you! I am at work but will get this all updated later.

YourScrapAttack
Diva
YourScrapAttack

i havent bought anything in a year. my room is FULL. im going to say NADA ZILCH NOTHING ZERO.

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy
In response to YourScrapAttack

I am going to ease into this. I have been sending way too much! I want to get through all my old paper before buying any new. I do like to pick up a themed item every now and again to make my life easier so I'll say $50.

None allow me to buy any stamps!!!! Most of my stash its tamps and I use them a lot but I have a metric ton! Especially tim Holtz! I am half in love with him and it makes me lose all reason.

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda
In response to lilymommy

I always do a personal no buy challenge every year until I have completed 100 pages so my January budget is 0!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Scrapanda

Lily I will die before I use all my paper, if I made using all my paper before buying more I would have to start giving it away!! As it is I will often use three to four full sheets for background paper just to use it faster or at least try. I am such a waste not want not person that quite often my mats have other designs cut from them but still I can fit a photo around the cut part!!
I do let my DIL and her DIL come "shop" my studio but they have not been over to some time to scrap...... work and school keep getting in the way, especially when you do both!!

If I made a goal like Amanda's I would have to work day and night to reach 100 as fast as I can. I KNOW... that I use shopping as therapy but heck, what therapy can you get where you get your $ back when you sell it?? As with a some SU stamp sets I sold!

I keep joining the budget challenge every month to keep myself in check. I could easily send twice what I budget each month and I was doing that for a time.....this challenge helps curb that tendency.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

I agree Sharon, you have really changed your spending since you first started with us. What I found is it is now conscious spending - and somedays I am conscious I just don't give two hoots if I go over budget! But most days it can keep the spending to a minimum.

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC

Hi ladies! Checking in before we take off for the airport (because I'm all packed for once!!!!)

I actually did cave on that Winter deal on the 30th... I told myself I was just gonna see if the deal was still there after it expired and if it was, I'd go for it. Well darned if it wasn't still there! It's all my Kindle's fault for still having the deal!!! (Yeah, that's it... the Kindle is to blame!)

Anyway, I got some Christmas things I had wanted - and some I totally didn't need, but still got anyway. LOL!

Just wanted to say I'm in and that my budget for January is $50! I should do the no-buy thing Amanda does, but there's no way I'd even make 5 pages this month, let alone 100 this YEAR! Lol! Maybe I'll do that for February....
Wishlist: Watercolor pencil set, American Craft Christmas Magic paper pad/embellies

Really I need nothing, but I wanted that paper line and it was out of stock when I went to order. So I'm hoping I'll find on the clearance racks at like TJs or Marshalls after Christmas like I did last year with the Heidi Swapp line I got. (Seriously, I don't need Christmas paper, but I like a new line each year... as if I scrap each year as it comes and goes.... sick... sick Sonja...)

Hope you all had a wonderful New Year! We made it to midnight (barely) and both kids were up as well. Sofia is still in a sleep resistance. Don't know if it's teething or she needs to start solids. (probably both) In either case I am going to be spending tomorrow finishing gifts for my friends and making baby foods! She tried cereal and avocado while at my parents and took to it like a duck to water! Oh how fast they grow!!!

Happy 2016 all!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to SonjaC

so glad to see you back Sonja!

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn

I can't believe she is old enough for food already. Time flies.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to tinadn

You are right Sonja, time flies so fast Sofia will be walking before I know it. Hard to believe she is ready for solids, wasn't just last month that she was born?? OK not but still so fast. You are making little notes of all the milestones as well as just the cozy cuddly times for later scrapping! Love that TH die, I have it too and need to haul it out again for a little use on those Christmas pages!

I am getting ready to post 9 pages today... I am pushing to get that ABC album finished!! Easy enough to do when you don't have pictures for most of the pages. One last letter to go! I am ready to start something else. X the last letter!

My budget is safe today but ask me that tomorrow!! Or better yet Sunday as I will be out most of the day.

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda
In response to Sewflake

Beth isn't a great sleeper yet either Sonja! Very little napping during the day and generally goes to bed late. Tonight she went to bed before 9 and we were thinking wow are we ever lucky....woke up about 40 minutes later. Dh is on snuggle duty with her for now.

She has started a variety of solids and so far she likes everything we have given her! MUCH less picky that ds was!

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to Scrapanda

Made it home! Had a beautiful flight most of the way and the kids we r mostly good.

I know! I can't believe she's ready for solids already either! And sitting up and reaching for things! Seems all this came on much faster than it d with ds!

Amanda, how old is Beth anyway? Seems to me she's closing in on a year, yes? Maybe time is moving much faster for me tho. Was your ds a better sleeper? Sofia catnaps during the day except for a longer nap in the late afternoon. Even then she always wake up midnap an I gotta give her her binky again. Never had that with her brother!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to SonjaC

Good morning - I am not sure my budget is safe today - but then again if I keep myself busy, it will be.

Now that I am feeling a bit better I am in the mood to deChristmas -get the stuff sorted and away and get this room cleaned

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

Glad you are feeling better Tammy!! I'm ready to deChristmas also but have plans to LSS shop this morning and not sure how all that will work into the day. Holding on to that budget tight!

At least the sun came out today! Hoot hoot, opened my eyes this morning and was wondering who left all the lights on in the house!!!

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda
In response to Sewflake

Beth is 8 months Sonja. Her brother was an amazing sleeper! He napped 2 hours each in the morning and afternoon and then slept from 8pm until 8 or 9am! She rarely naps during the day only if we travel somewhere and she falls asleep on the way or else if someone holds her! I really wish she would take her soother! She refuses it. With Ben we just put him in his crib with it at naptime or bedtime and he fell asleep on his own!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Scrapanda

Amanda - you wish she would take it now but look at for later you won't have to break her of it.

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda

I know - that is what dh says too - although ds was pretty easy to take his away!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Scrapanda

Don't look so shocked it is almost a record, BUSTED! Oh what fun it was... such lovely papers stencils stamps and ink!! It just means no more shopping for me this month!!
Now off to play a little before bed!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

well at least it wasn't on day 1 - and please do share what you got!

For the newbies - this sometimes happens and to be fair Sharon has been so good and couldn't even be bothered for the last amost 2 months of last year to buy anything new.

So break out the popcorn and treats on the busted couch!

Edited by Ladybing Tammy on 01-03-16 06:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

Sharon - did that include your gift certificate or not? If it included the gift certificate then you can subtract that and see if you actually spent $100 on top of it.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

oh and that reminds me - we have some newbies so a review of what doesn't count
- adhesive - ever unless you are counting every single penny
- cutting sheets for cricut etc, blades, cutting pads etc
- gifts including gift certificates, cards etc
- albums and page protectors - again unless you are counting every single penny
- cutting machines themselves - but dies and cartridges do count

Cardstock however DOES count - despite what some people might try to get away with here lol (not mentioning any names)

We round to the nearest dollar just to make it easier but if you are counting every single penny then that is up to you.

If you bought something and return it, that comes back off the budget

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

Are you sure you wrote that right?? Or did I read that wrong? "" Sharon couldn't be bother for the last 12 months of last year to buy anything new""??? Maybe for the last 12 minutes or days of last year>>>>> mercy me, my dh would have a heart attack if I didn't buy anything for 12 months.
Maybe there is another Sharon you are talking about!

That did not include the GC, in fact I added to the GC when we checked out as my DIL is almost as bad as I am when shopping.

I will share some of what I bought later today, first I want to glue down this page I worked on yesterday and I'm headed out the door soon for the fish market and bagel heads!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

lol - well I meant 2 months cause really you struggled pushing the buttons! I fixed it - yes I can imagine - 12 months without buying anything would give us all a heart attack.

Now fish market and bagel heads - what on earth is a bagel head?

And I spent £2 on a digital kit that I used right away and did a double layout with, this morning!

100 - 2 = 98 (not quite busted yet for me!)

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Scrapanda

I would love to participate in this. My budget for the month of January is $0 because DS #2 got a PS4 for his upcoming birthday on the 9th It was so bad my DH looked at me and said, "Honey, I know your birthday is on the 20th, but you're going to have to wait until February for your present because I over spent on Hot Rod". But then I got to thinking..."Wait a minute...that means he has to do Valentine's Day AND my birthday in February" I've decided I'm not upset at all

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to flhomeschoolmom

Welcome Ali...... we will be watching!! and cheering at the end of the month

Bagel Heads is the store/franchise of bagels..... yum snickerdoodle bagel! Only half as they are too sweet. Then half plain with cream cheese.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Sewflake

That right, I started out sharing what I purchased yesterday then got caught up in reading.....

Plus a few other things that I was surprised that it jumped into my cart!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

welcome Ali - I'll get you added in the morning. Nice haul Sharon

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Sharon, now I fully understand what you mean about being enablers...I'm drooling! You have a fantastic haul.

Governor

Hi everyone! I've decided I REALLY need to sign-up this month.

Tammy - glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. 2015 was a little rough for you.

I'm setting a goal of $25 - This should be low enough that it will keep me out of Tuesdsay Morning near the office. Stopped by News Years Eve day and was drooooooling at Glamour Mist sets and TH embossing folders. I did spend $10 - but that was last year lol!

My gift to DH was making him promise to redo a spare room for his man-cave. Had lots of extra Elfa shelves and support, but needed to get some standards. Now we each have our own Cave and work area with shelving (gave him some of my wood shelves and I took extra wire shelves). Of course, now that the shelves are gone and the standards are accessible, I had to get a wire basket to hold my mists and stickles Will upload pic when I find my camera (somewhere in the closet). I guess I also need to find my work space under the "stuff" that used to be on the shelves I gave to DH.

My room is now a disaster since I have to figure out where to put everything that used to be on the shelves!

I used $12 of my $25 on the New Years Day for my Elfa basket.

Sharon - your BUST is soooo worth it! BTW I guess I should have tried to make my drive-by last month since you need help getting rid of stash lol!!!!

I'll probably be busted on the 16th for our first 2016 Meet-Up crop. Need to support a member's new SU business.

DH just told me I had $50 to spend at a friend's grand opening sometime this month - it will be so nice to have an LSS kind of nearby. So do I add the $50 to my budget, or consider it a "gift card"? He's so sweet - got me 3 Cricut carts for Christmas and asked if I wanted to stop by JoAnn's when we go to dinner on Wednesday!

Linda

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy

Well so far so good. I've made it 3 days into the year without spending. Of course, I've had dh home from work and looking over my shoulder. We'll see what happens when everyone is back to school/work. I need some adhesive which means a trip to the craft stoe and we all know what that means!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to lilymommy

Linda - your storage basket only counts if you want it to as I forgot to mention - storage also does not count

Heading downtown but there are no craft shops there so I should be fine unless I just happen into TKMaxx and they have some scrapping goodies on clear out

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda

Great haul Sharon!

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC

Hi all!
I too have survived three days without spending so far! Of course it helps that I don't have time to shop! Ms 50% off coupon is calling to me tho... And their storage is 50% off too. I really need to get a handle on my collection! I got a package in the mail while we were gone that I'd totally forgotten I ordered! DH swore up and down that this year he's going to make a point to make me get away and craft/relax//run/be by myself at least once a month. Starting this month! I've got a crop to go to on the 24th with a friend at a LSS. Could be very dangerous, but I'll put my blinders on!

Welcome newbies! We like fresh faces to enable encourage here!

Hi Linda!!! I saw your PM a while back and apologize for not replying. Thank you so much for thinking of me and my little family! I've been a bad communicator these last six months (SIX months!!) since DD was born!

Sharon, I'd say that was a record, but I believe Miss Kelly, Miss Courtney or probably I myself have probably beaten that and busted on day one! NICE haul tho! Totally drooling here!

Tammy, sounds like £2 well spent if you already used it!

Amanda, 8 months!! Doesn't time just fly!? I'm wondering if something is up with DD as she's got a very raspy voice and barely sleeps more than 20-40 minutes at a time at night. I left a message for the pediatrician tho I'm sure they are swamped today.

Hi all again and happy new year!!! I plan to be around more and am signing up for a couple challenges to get me going. Hugs to all!

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy
In response to SonjaC

Well, I may have blown this month already. I spent $28 at Joann's today. There's a 50% off coupon plus a 20% off total purchase. I got black gesso, texture paste (I go through that like crazy), a new cricut blade (i've been having cutting issues) and new tim Holtz Distress spray. I still need to purchase an art journal and some paint so I may go way over. Can't find one I like so i am off to Sam Flax, a really amazing art store. How much you wanna bet I Buy more than an art journal? Because of this challenge I di put down several items that I really wanted but didn't need. So thanks for that!

Oh, I forgot to mention they were out of atg refills...the only reason i went!

Edited by lilymommy on 01-04-16 01:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy
In response to Sewflake

• Sewflake Said:
That right, I started out sharing what I purchased yesterday then got caught up in reading.....

Plus a few other things that I was surprised that it jumped into my cart!!

Nice!

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to lilymommy

Great purchase Sharon

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to tinadn

Lily, did the new blade help with the cutting issues you have been experiencing? I will check in the Cricut challenge too in case you mention the new blade there.

I am pretty pleased with my new purchases and while I consider going to Alabama to shop as my local scrapbook store I don't go very often and take advantage of the trips when I do go. Each trip seems to cost more and coming home with less and less. Now I need to get working on that layout that has been on my desk all day!

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy
In response to Sewflake

You know it's been working pretty well today so I am just going to save that blade!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to lilymommy

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to Sewflake

I'm going near Ms today, ladies. Send me strength to resist!

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to SonjaC

Well I was mostly good. Settled for a cheaper 'practice' pack of colored pencils. I'm getting into this coloring for adults thing so idk of the pack counts against my budget. Anyway it was $4.99-40% so not a big budget hit as those watercolor pencils would be. Then a clearance paper pad and a clearance Christmas embellie pack jumped into my basket. Also got a large mason jar for a project so all in I spent $12. Pretty safe for me at Ms!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to SonjaC

Sorry Sonja, I did not see your cry for resist at M's, not sure I would be a good one for that anyway! I have not resist in me, the best bet is to just not look!

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy
In response to SonjaC

• SonjaC Said:
Well I was mostly good. Settled for a cheaper 'practice' pack of colored pencils. I'm getting into this coloring for adults thing so idk of the pack counts against my budget. Anyway it was $4.99-40% so not a big budget hit as those watercolor pencils would be. Then a clearance paper pad and a clearance Christmas embellie pack jumped into my basket. Also got a large mason jar for a project so all in I spent $12. Pretty safe for me at Ms!

I love how this challenge makes us think before purchasing. Stuff still seems to jump in our baskets but not nearly as much!

toni-n-tn
Diva
toni-n-tn
In response to Scrapanda

Hey Tammy, and girls -

I went over a tad... when I went to our scrapbooking
store (which is far away from me), they were closed...
I was mad ... (they're always closed, or at least not
open when I get a chance to get there) so I stopped
at ACMoore instead...so I picked up three (yes, 3)
paper packs at $7.88 each, some adhesive (doesn't count),
some washi tape (I'm addicted) and some of the new
Valentine's stuff they had out. I did pick up some regular
cs and some American Craft papers since our store (Joann's)
doesn't carry American Crafts individually and I liked some of the papers...
Anyway, with the $10.00 off, it came to $52. and some change. So, just over a tad...
but then Joanns (where I work part time) had 60% off coupons,
for two days over the weekend,
and I wound up buying some
TH distress markers and the little tin to put
the smaller stamps in,
oh, and some Best Press for my ironing...
and all that was $15 and some change.
So I'm cut off for the month now, that's it.

Hmmm, and it's only the 5th.

Edited by toni-n-tn on 01-05-16 04:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to toni-n-tn

well I am happy to see that someone at least is keeping the economy moving this year!

Sounds like all good deals.

Sonja, don't think the mason jar counts but the pencils are up to you - are you going to use them for scrapbooking?

Edited by Ladybing Tammy on 01-06-16 12:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

So far so good for me, I'm 6 days into January and haven't spent anything on scrappy/crafty stuff yet. BUT, that doesn't mean that I haven't "acquired" some scrappy/crafty stuff. Since my DH keeps forgetting that I've been telling him, "Honey, I'm out of Acrylic paints"...I took his artists acrylics AGAIN The last time I did that, he went and bought me GOBS of acrylic paint just so I would give him back his. Also, when I take his craft supplies...I hide them! He NEVER goes into my feminine care box (aka a Caboodles) that sits in the bathroom...so. He THINKS it's my pads, body sprays, etc. And that IS what's in the top compartments. BUT, inside the hair dye boxes, etc. in the bottom is his paints. I made use of the empty hair dye box

I don't have to worry TOO much about being tempted by crafty things when I go into town because we do not have a Wal-Mart, Jo-Ann's, Michael's, etc. All my town has is 2 grocery stores, 2 dollar stores, 2 thrift shops, 1 hardware store, 2 automotive stores, 1 jewelry store, 2 drug stores, 1 BK, 1 McDonald's, 1 Pizza Hut, 1 Subway, and 1 Hungry Howie's. So, not much temptation. BUT, Dollar General and one of my local grocery stores DO carry the adult coloring books and I have been eyeing one for a little bit now.

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda

I'm still safe - haven't been anywhere with scrappy supplies but I do have to go to M's tomorrow to get a frame for a project for MILs birthday

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Scrapanda

Stay safe at M's Amanda!! No temptations there!

Toni, welcome to the couch! I have wine as we watch the rest of the ladies stay on budget!

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC

• Ladybing Tammy Said:
Sonja, don't think the mason jar counts but the pencils are up to you - are you going to use them for scrapbooking?

Well the mason jar is for a paper crafting project. Saw it on Pinterest actually. Want to decorate the jar and add little 'everyday moments' to it as they happen throughout the year and then on New Years Eve 2016 we'll open it and read them together. That's my big plan anyway... So it kinda counts? Idk, I leave it up to you, oh enforcer!

But no I'm not counting the pencils since I didn't get the water color ones!

And I forgot I did find the 6x6 paper pad of that AC Christmas line I wanted at Ross... It was only 1.89 because the front cover was bent but all the pages were there. So I think that rounds my total spending to $10 yesterday not counting the pencils!

I'll be on the couch with you gals soon, Sharon! Lol! Save me a bottle glass!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to SonjaC

the mason jar does NOT count. Sorry no more time today but Happy Wednesday.

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy

I am sad to admit, I b! ew my budget out of the water! i spent about $90 today. In my defense alot of it was for an art journal not scrapbooking. $50 at sam flax included an art magazine (somerset) a book on art journals, new xacto blades and a journal that won't even work but was 65% off. At Hobby Lobby i bought an atg refill because I'm too impatient to wait for the stuff I ordered to come in, a graphic 45 (50%) off) kit for travel, a bunch of acrylic paint and the art journal i actually will use (used 40% off coupon) and some red cardstock since I am using up my stash on San Francisco layouts. Most of my purchases feel justified excet those dang books.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to lilymommy

Welcome to the couch, I tired a new wine tonight that I think you would love..... Three Thieves with notes of cherry and vanilla! Come and join us on the couch and see who else busts this month!!!

OK I read thru your post....... do magazines count??? Adhesive does not unless you want it to count. Art journal.... now does that not come under the heading of altered art?? And isn't that another form of scrapping??

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Sewflake

You know, I never said how much I spent this month.....$130 so as you can see I am well over.....but lily you beat me on over the budget!!! you!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Sewflake

My vote would be that art journals would count the same as a smash book :). If art journals didn't count then I wouldn't have to worry about a budget most months.

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy
In response to Sewflake

• Sewflake Said:
You know, I never said how much I spent this month.....$130 so as you can see I am well over.....but lily you beat me on over the budget!!! you!

woohoo... winner winner chicken dinner!

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy
In response to Sewflake

• Sewflake Said:
Welcome to the couch, I tired a new wine tonight that I think you would love..... Three Thieves with notes of cherry and vanilla! Come and join us on the couch and see who else busts this month!!!

OK I read thru your post....... do magazines count??? Adhesive does not unless you want it to count. Art journal.... now does that not come under the heading of altered art?? And isn't that another form of scrapping??

welll, the art journal is for a dt assignment. Actually hubby doesn't care what I buy he just sees the big receipts! I am going to count it all and say i almost spent triple my budget! It's the naughty chair for me!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to lilymommy

Oh, are you sure you want to do that??? I mean dt work does not count unless you want, which sounds like you do....

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

some people like to count every penny (although I would not have counted the exacto knives or atg refills), Imagine if you didn't have this challenge how much you would be spending!

I know Kelly would disagree but I think art journals are a form of scrapping (but that is because I don't do them and am too afraid to start).

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

• Ladybing Tammy Said:
some people like to count every penny (although I would not have counted the exacto knives or atg refills), Imagine if you didn't have this challenge how much you would be spending!

I know Kelly would disagree but I think art journals are a form of scrapping (but that is because I don't do them and am too afraid to start).

Art journals are FUN You don't HAVE to be able to draw, trust me, I can't draw a straight line. You can do collages, or just make your journaling pretty, or do quotes with embellishments....all sorts of things are "art journaling". Some that I have done are:
I Am, I'm Me By Flhomeschoolmom
I Want Candy By Flhomeschoolmom
Like Pink? By Flhomeschoolmom

All of those are from last year. And this year I've only done this one so far.

FLY By Flhomeschoolmom

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

these are awesome! I love PInk and I love candy and I love the Pig one too. Can't wait to see what goes in that 2016 one.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to lilymommy

Ali I know what you mean cuz my town is even smaller that yours.

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to tinadn

YAAAAY money back! Thanks Tammy the Enforcer! So I spent $8 at Ms the other day. Woot!

Now move over and save me some wine cuz I'm bout to bust on this clearance sale! They have CW templates that I LOVE - like 300 of them on the clearance and there are a lot I've wanted but chickened out on because they were too much. So sale PLUS get one free. I'm in! Plus some stamps I've wanted are also there too. WHY do they do this to me?!? I just got my order from Christmas!!! I should be fine! **endrant**

Oh my what wonderful artwork you do! I'd love to try art journalling but then I think of how much I need to do to my kids pages and think how that art journalling time would be better spent catching up on the millions of photos I have. Seriously, I just sent 400 more to Walgreens when they had their 9-cent print sale last weekend! Now I'm finally caught up! ( for now... Ahahahhaa!!)

Anywho, happy Friday ladies!!! Wish I could get crafty this weekend but I have a suitcase still to unpack and oodles of clothing and laundry to do. If I don't check in by next Tuesday, send a search party!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to SonjaC

I'm headed out for another bottle of wine Sonja just in case you show up! but hurry as I may have drank it all by the time the middle of the month comes around. I placed another order with sb.com.......I had been looking for the gabrielle pollacco stencils, found two last week and had two in my cart here....I needed them TODAY so I ordered. Once busted then I'm done in for the month, you can't bust twice!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

yes, that is a lesson I learned as a young teenager - if I was 5 mins late I would be punished the same as if I was 2 hours late so once it was gonna happen - might as well make it worth my while! LOL

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

but page protectors don't count! Just saying

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

• Ladybing Tammy Said:
these are awesome! I love PInk and I love candy and I love the Pig one too. Can't wait to see what goes in that 2016 one.

The Pink one was the inside cover of a smash book that I made for my 14 yr. old niece. At the time I began making the book, she liked the artist Pink but hated the color Pink so I did a play on words. I made another Pink page for the back cover that was Pink sitting on a car and it said "Just Perfect" because her favorite song was "F ing Perfect" and I refused to put that word in the book. By the time she got the book for Christmas, she no longer liked the artist Pink and her new favorite artist was Adelle but she still hated the color pink...go figure.

The candy page is made from umm...the box that a case of my husband's beer was in. I just covered the thing with white printer paper, wrote "I Want Candy" in a white crayon and water colored over it in black to get the chalk board effect. The candy embellishments are from real boxes or bags of candy

My favorite one from last year was the one with the pig. I REALLY like that pig! She has a tattoo, skull ear rings, carries a Bible, and wears red sun glasses. The song I used is one of my personal favorites. And the point of the page is to depict not judging someone based on how they look. She might have a tattoo and skull ear rings, but she's still a Christian

So far I'm still sticking with my budget And to keep myself from being tempted too much, I'm using paper scraps, etc to make "Happy Mail". Basically, post cards, envelopes, etc.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to SonjaC

• SonjaC Said:

Oh my what wonderful artwork you do! I'd love to try art journalling but then I think of how much I need to do to my kids pages and think how that art journalling time would be better spent catching up on the millions of photos I have. Seriously, I just sent 400 more to Walgreens when they had their 9-cent print sale last weekend! Now I'm finally caught up! ( for now... Ahahahhaa!!)

Anywho, happy Friday ladies!!! Wish I could get crafty this weekend but I have a suitcase still to unpack and oodles of clothing and laundry to do. If I don't check in by next Tuesday, send a search party!

The art journaling is mostly just therapy. I struggle with depression, and it was recommended that I get into journaling. BUT, I've been journaling for decades in the sense of keeping a written journal. Then I got into this weird thing called "Junk Journaling" and one thing led to another I began the art journaling. I don't really think of it much differently than regular journaling, but it does allow me to express myself when I don't really know what to write. When I made the pig page, I was dealing with my MIL being very judgmental of me, very negative, and dealing with her trying to convince me to stop taking my antidepressant medication. The page was my way of "coping". The candy page was just one where I was listening to music, the song came on, I was in a really good mood so I played with the song and "junk". The FLY one is my journal cover for 2016, and "FLY" stands for Finally Love Yourself...that is my personal motto for this year. My motto for 2015 was "Life's an Adventure".

I still scrapbook things about my kids and that sort of stuff. But for the time being, Art Journaling/Junk Journaling/Smash Booking have taken over with me. Now I'm getting into making Mail Art.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

Good morning ladies.... loved your analysis of being late gets the same punishment so make it worth while!! I thought it worked!! Love reading something that brings a smile to my face first thing in the morning!!
Page protectors don't count but they were such a great deal, especially if you use 3 ring binders, I added them to the list....to enable anyone that might need some?

What an interesting idea to make Mail Art!! I will have to check your gallery to see if you have posted any yet.

Heading to the kitchen for more then back to my desk. Today I need to do a bit of cleaning and that is about all I have on my schedule this week end.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

Ali - I love what you are doing to help with your depression. I find what we do, in whatever vein of creativity, is great therapy for me too.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

Sharon, my Dad actually liked that explanation when I tried it with him. He began to trust me (his only daughter) out a bit more when he realized I could actually think rationally.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Sewflake

• Sewflake Said:
Good morning ladies.... loved your analysis of being late gets the same punishment so make it worth while!! I thought it worked!! Love reading something that brings a smile to my face first thing in the morning!!
Page protectors don't count but they were such a great deal, especially if you use 3 ring binders, I added them to the list....to enable anyone that might need some?

What an interesting idea to make Mail Art!! I will have to check your gallery to see if you have posted any yet.

Heading to the kitchen for more then back to my desk. Today I need to do a bit of cleaning and that is about all I have on my schedule this week end.

I haven't gotten any mail art posted to my gallery yet. But I did get some sent out to Linda (Anda11) today. And while working on that envelope for her "Happy Mail", I discovered that I need a new ink pad because mine has dried out...bummer. I used water colors and then washed off my little flower stamp

Hopefully I will get some mail art uploaded sometime next week.

But for now, I have to get off my batookus and get busy baking a lemon cake with vanilla butter cream frosting and sprinkles for my youngest DS's 15th birthday today. AFTER I get done with that THEN I can go back to playing with crafty things.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

Happy Birthday to your ds! Hmmm lemon cake!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

Bright sunshiny day! I have been out shopping......not at a craft store though, did enough of that already.

Hope your day went well Tammy, even for a Monday!!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Sewflake

So far I've stuck to my budget of $0, BUT I have also discovered that I REALLY need some new ink pads, glue, washi tape, markers....

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda

I need new black ink too! I asked Dh to get me some for my stocking for Christmas but he didn't!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Scrapanda

Needs must my dears - needs must!

Monday wasn't too bad (and I don't actually usually mind them)

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy

didn't spend any money today!!! Of course I didn't leave the house. See, I found a solution...oh wait...I can order online

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to lilymommy

That is what I do too Lily, order online that is like the order I am waiting for now from SB.com.
And drats, the ink pad I put in my cart did not make it to checkout!! Didn't really need another red ink.....she says to not be too disappointed it's not coming!! Didn't need the stencils either but that did not stop me.
I LOVE it when I go out shopping and don't spend anything, and with that in mind I better keep forgetting to go to TM's on any of these trips, and how about J's deals for the next 36 hours....I better keep forgetting what I wanted to go look at there too!!!
Some of use (I will not name names) are being very very good in their spending habit. You know you don't have to be that good, Christmas is over.......... not that I am trying to enable anyone!!

I am find so much inspiration at the beginning of this year of things I want to try!! Better get back at it! I have gotten back on my regular before Christmas routine where the days kind of slid by while doing other things besides scrapping!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Sewflake

Things keep getting in the way of me getting a much better budget...today, I discovered that I have to get a new printer! It wouldn't be a "necessity" if it wasn't for the fact that both a working printer and the internet are "necessities" for my boys homeschool.

And just a warning, if you see what LOOKS like a great deal on printer ink on EBay, don't buy it! My DH did that and it damaged my print head. It can be repaired, but not in the time I have to get my computer records printed and turned in for evaluations. So, going to get another printer at Badcock and charge it to our account. DH says he's still going to get my Lexmark fixed, but....I can only hope he does. I LOVE my printer!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

boo hiss for printer problems.

Ummmm Sharon - this is a budget thread love not an all out enabling thread lol!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

I have often wondered about some ink cartridges. I have always been leery about purchasing refilled cartridges, not that yours were refilled, it's just that they never seem to work as well...but darn...they are so expensive especially if you use your printer a lot!! Hope you can get the one you love fixed. Drats that you have to get a new one in the mean time.

Was I enabling? Bad...

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Sewflake

I *think* I know what the deal is with my printer's ink. 1) I do think that perhaps it was a "refill", but it is my personal opinion that the black was refilled with the ink used for Henna Tattoos and the colors were refilled with alcohol inks because in time all 4 dry out and a black one once exploded when being prepared to put it in my printer and both my DH and myself had ink on our hands for DAYS. He bought me GOBS of ink when he made that purchase too. He got 4 XL black cartridges and 2 each of the red, blue and yellow cartridges.

But what REALLY has me irritated is my local school board! USUALLY the evaluation letters and forms are mailed out during the summer and due before the new school year begins. A parent can't get the evaluation done until we get that "official" form from the school board. But, for the past 3 years or so the current assistant superintendant has decided to mail them out during the MIDDLE of the school year. So, that means that my kids are being evaluated on the 2014-2015 school year while in the middle of the 2015-2016 school year. So every year we have to "review" the previous year's history, science, etc. because they have "moved on". It's like taking a major test 8 months AFTER you last studied for that test...

Edited by flhomeschoolmom on 01-12-16 07:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC

Omg ladies!!!! Someone STOP me!!

First off, move over Sharon and Lily, I busted WIDE open the last four days! It's not just the Internet that's the problem, it's my dang smartphone!! The whole world of scrappy supplies, right in the palm of my greedy hands!!

First I caved on $60 worth of sb.com clearance goodies Saturday night (all stuff I had in my wish list and had been watching). THEN I was at a training yesterday in Thousand Oaks and they had a Ms across the street. Stupid me went in on my break and found MS punches on CLEARANCE! I got two I've been wanting forever (and now that I have a girl I can justify getting... Ahem). The PATP flower one was $12. Yes, $12! And the heart one was $6! I mean honestly!

THEN I nabbed the peachy deal today. Really love that MME My Story line! Like I need more paper...

AND NOW I have goodies in my cart for 10% off. Oh I am going straight to hell! And I can't even make the excuse that I'm scrapping cuz I'm so very much NOT! I need an intervention - STAT!

Whew! Glad I can 'fess up here because at least one of you will pat me on the back and say it's ok. (And hopefully hand me wine!)

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to SonjaC

Now that confession is over, to get cu...

Happy bday to ur DS! Lemon cake sounds yummy!

Printer problems suck! We have one but it needs ink and the ink cost more than the printer did so I refuse to buy it. Two things I'd just as soon buy a whole new one than buy the refills: printers and their ink and shaving razors and their refills! Ugh!!

Ali that is so cool how you use your art journal for therapy! I can totally see that helping and I wish my DH was artistically inclined. He needs some sort of hobby to help him with his depression and mood swings. He started up with a new therapist today so hoping she can help and help him find something to occupy his troubled mind. He does make his own jewelry but it's more because he doesn't want to pay the ridiculous retail prices.

Now wait a minute, isn't that why we are here? To enable each other?? Or maybe that's just me...

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to SonjaC

Here you go Sonja, one for you and one for me...... You know I had a head start so this is where I'm at now.

Disclaimer: if I drank as much as I talk about it then I would have a problem. My poor box of wine (nothing is too good for me ) has been here since halfway between Thanksgiving and Christmas and still going strong.

I don't even want to talk about printers, I use mine more for downloading photos to my computer than I do for printing and if something ever happened to that I might have to buy a new camera too!! That is if the a new printer wouldn't read my camera disk thing, my computer won't recognize my camera so I don't hold out much hope on a new printer working it!!!

I'm working with some of the new products I got this month and watching for that last order from sb.com, it should be here any day.

I hope your dh finds something to interest him... I don't know what I would do without my hobbies to keep me occupied, probably sit around twiddling my thumbs. Which I find myself doing when I have nothing in my hands!!!!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to SonjaC

• SonjaC Said:

Ali that is so cool how you use your art journal for therapy! I can totally see that helping and I wish my DH was artistically inclined. He needs some sort of hobby to help him with his depression and mood swings. He started up with a new therapist today so hoping she can help and help him find something to occupy his troubled mind. He does make his own jewelry but it's more because he doesn't want to pay the ridiculous retail prices.

Now wait a minute, isn't that why we are here? To enable each other?? Or maybe that's just me...

Truthfully, I think my art journaling hobby just simply evolved from other hobbies. I have kept journals since I was like 8 or 9 years old. Then I got into scrapbooking when I was 16. Then I began adding cards, quotes, and pictures from magazines to my journal. Then I began making handmade paper. Then I heard about smashbooking and realized that was more or less what I was doing in my journal. Then I learned about this odd thing called "junk journaling", so I got into doing that. Then I saw where people used "junk journals" for art journals so I began playing around with that. Then I got interested in mail art/happy mail so I've began doing that. Two very basic hobbies just kept turning into new hobbies.

I am medicated for my depression and have been for over 10 years now. I have "major depressive disorder". The hobbies are my ways of working through things, it's sort of like doing SOMETHING to help occupy my mind. And doing the happy mail thing helps me to focus on ways to brighten someone else's day instead of focusing on "depressive" things.

Maybe your DH could find something he likes. Even if that means making jewelry for gifts. My DH plays music, does genealogy, plays some video games like Metal Gear and pinball, and collects movies...those are his "hobbies" and help him to deal with depression caused by psoriatic arthritis, osteoporosis, and major inflammation in his muscles. He uses the various hobbies to deal with his pain, etc.

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC

Oh thank you Sharon! I need a couple of those to catch up with you looks like! (Virtually anyway) lol! And I haven't hit buy on my 10% off order but only because I can't get it below my max without taking something away that I really want! Oh the dilemmas!

I have to agree on the hobby thing. It's probably a combo of my nature and my parents but a hobby (or 4 or 8 ) runs in my family. My dad has his woodworking and now that he's retired his garden trains, plus the gardening and RV, cross stitch and piano. My mom sews, cooks, shops for her grandkids (believe me that's a hobby) and helps my dad with the garden. My sister scrapbooks (but not nearly as nueurotically as I do), makes her own food and body care and tends her garden with her hubs. (They made us a gift basket for Christmas complete with a farm stand of homemade goodies like soap, salsa, jams, lip gloss and jewelry. Was really cool!)
And let's not get into the rest of my family (crocheting, Swedish/Norweign hardanger, needle point, I could go on and on). I have always been into painting, reading and writing and I added Scrapbooking as well. My DH by comparison, is a blank book. He likes watching military and history documentaries and playing video games but he never does the video games anymore. I have been so tempted to get him a guitar because I know how much he loves music and I think it would be good for the mobility of his hands. I should add that he has systemic diffuse scleroderma which causes a hardening of the skin esp in the hands. It's painful and he's got a lot of other stuff going on. I know he needs his meds but I am also of the mind that if you don't use it you loose it and activity is the best way to keep your mobility longer. When he's busy at work he doesn't think about his pain or his health, but even he's admitted when he comes home that's when everything hits him. Of course we have small kids so finding hobby time is the veritable needle in the haystack! Lol Anyway maybe this year I'll talk him into it!

ugh I'm dragging my booty today... DD had us up half the night for no dang reason!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to SonjaC

evening my sweet spenders! It seems there is more spending going on then budgeting this month but after the holidays I always expect this (except for me for some reason I just can't be bothered).

I have a few extra bottles of wine if you run out - we only drank 1 of the 4 we received over Christmas.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

Whew I almost went off the deep end to day with a digital Cricut purchase. I need a stable for my layout and almost bought the Inspired Heart or some such name cartridge. It has some really cute things on it that I probably maybe would use again. I still may purchase it but have decided I really don't need it for the current page but might for the 2nd page which I have not started yet other than paper and one picture. Yikes, what a dilemma!!! I will use one of my 72 hour subscription codes to cut it but my luck that particular cartridge won't be one of the options!!!! I can at least wait another day or two and if I still HAVE TO HAVE IT then look out!

Hang in there Sonja, I'm right there with you!

Yes Tammy, this after Christmas purchasing is just what I had talked about saving $ for so I can spend guilt free after Christmas in 2017................

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Well, you might have to add me to the BUSTED list. I found an 8 pack of Bic Permanent Markers in the colors of Blue Skies Blue, Fandango Pink, Key Lime, Playful Purple, Rambunctious Red, Sunset Orange, Tuxedo Black and Yellow Blaze on sale today I simply HAD to buy it since the only permanent marker I had left was 1 blue one. AND, what's really awesome about it...it's listed as ACID FREE!!! YAY!!! Now to keep DH away from them.

I also had to pick up some purple, magenta, silver, blue, gold and red glitter I was running VERY low on sparkle.

Now, if I could just convince my DH that I REALLY do NEED THIS and I absolutely must get THIS even if all I actually need from that is the chair and the cradle

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

The stickers are really cute, I'm sure you can come up with a card to make for a new baby!! There is room on the "we have busted" couch. It is becoming quite a party!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics