Username Post: Operation Happy Mail        (Topic#1661085)
flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Ok, let me explain what the title of this post is. It has come to my attention that some members of SB.com could possibly use some cheering up. I am not going to say who these people are, but they are people that are very well loved and going through a difficult time for one reason or another right now.

I enjoy making "Happy Mail" and it is just what it sounds like, snail mail that is meant to be happy and bring cheer. For me, that is things like cards, notes, and sometimes little bits of things from my stash for people to play with. And I put all of it in custom envelopes. Basically, I make and in some way decorate envelopes so that they look "pretty", "unique" or "happy" sitting in the mailbox. Just something that makes them scream "I'm not junk mail or a bill".

The way Operation Happy Mail works is simple. People agree to make or send (you can buy a card if you wish) a note of cheer to someone. We will exchange the WHO and the WHERE through PM's. I will not post ANYONE'S real name and address on this forum and I don't recommend that anyone else does either.

For a person to qualify to receive "happy mail" they must simply be known by someone here on SB.com. The person themselves don't have to be a member here, but by all means nominate a member of SB.com if you know of a reason they could benefit from some "Happy Mail". So if you go to church and someone there is dealing with a health crisis, or in some other way in need of "cheering up", then message me and explain the situation. I will then let everyone know if the person is a male, female, or child. If it is a child, then I will give the gender and age range (0-2), (3-5) etc. in the forums.

I think my goal for 2016 is to SPREAD HAPPINESS Anyone want to join me?

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to flhomeschoolmom

I'm in, Ali! I think it's a wonderful idea. Nothing like a sweet little pick-me-up like happy mail!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Joanie R

Thank you for joining Joanie! I look forward to spreading happiness with you

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I'm in!!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to bonprof

Welcome Donna! I'm so glad to have you join

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Our current nominated recipient is a female She has been a member of SB.com for quite some time and she is going through a difficult time with health issues. So, it's time for us to let her know "we care about you"

I have already sent her name and address to both Joanie and Donna. But if anyone else would like to send her a card, or a note, just PM me.

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae

I'm in... could use some happy mail myself, and I love to send it.... Brings lots of joy to my heart!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Kimberly Rae

Welcome Kimberly It's so nice to have you join this little project. I will PM you the current person in need of cheering up. She is a member here on SB.com and she's been having some serious health issues for a while now.

angel1dot0
Expert
angel1dot0

I'll be happy to send a card to cheer someone up.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to angel1dot0

Welcome Astrid! I am so glad that you decided to join my little thread of CHEER. I will send you a PM of the name and snail mail of our current recipient.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Ali, this is great.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to bonprof

What can I say Donna, brightening other peoples day just makes me feel good! With all the negativity and things in the world, it's nice to feel like I'm doing something to make this world a better place

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae

Hi again.... Ali, my brain completely went blank and could you PM me the person's address again. I don't know where I put it on my phone

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Kimberly, I resent you the name and address last night

ckair 
Veteran
  • ckair on 03-09-16 07:04 AM

Could you PM me her address also. I would love to participate. Thanks.

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae
In response to ckair

Hi all... not sure if this will get read, been a while since anyone's been on this page, but I will post this in the card chat as well.

Three weeks ago my best friend/sister was in a hit and run accident in FL. She had major back surgery and was in the hospital for over a week. Her name is Catrina and she can really use some 'Happy Mail' right now.

Please PM me for her address and details. Thank you in advance.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Kimberly, I just sent you a PM.

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae

Hi all.... I just added the Happy Mail feature to my blog. I'm having people send in recommendations/nominee's of Happy Mail and having people if their interested have the chance to send Happy Mail out as a random act of kindness. I haven't got that much feedback yet so I'm not sure if it's going to work... go check out my blog (link is in my siggy) and look for my Happy Mail post....

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Hi everyone! We have another new "Happy Mail" recipient that I've chosen, although PLEASE feel free to get in touch with Kimberly about her friend who was in a horrible accident and needs some cheering up.

Ok, about my new recipient, it is a lady who we all know. Yes, she is a member of SB.com and I just got some interesting, all though frightening news about her "through the grapevine" so to speak. Message me to find out more.

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae

Hi all. I'm also adding Happy Mail as a feature in my blog. I felt that this great idea needed some sharing... Thanks Ali for this wonderful idea of 'spreading the love'.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

To all members of this thread, I found out this morning that Kimberly Rae is back in the cardiac intensive care unit. I really think she could use some cheer. This is her second hospitalization in the cardiac unit in two weeks. PM me for her contact info!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

I have another Operation Happy Mail assignment for anyone who might be interested. The current recipient is one of our members here on SB.com. she went into the hospital today for heart surgery. If you would like to send her a card or note of cheer, then PM me.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R

I still have her info from before. Glad I saved that PM. I'll drop her a note. Thanks, Ali!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Joanie R

Thanks Joanie, I'm sure that she would love that I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Ok, I was visiting another forum here on SB.com today and I came across something that broke my heart. There is a terminally ill teenager in AZ who wants BIRTHDAY CARDS from all over the country and the world for his birthday. If anyone would like to do this, PM me and I'll give you the snail mail OR you can read this article and the address is at the bottom.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/32296390/az-tee nager-with...

Scrapbookmonster posted it to a challenge thread.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R

Thank you for posting! It would be wonderful to help him reach his goal!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Joanie R

Thanks for helping out Joanie. Feel free to spread the word, I know that a lot of us crafty ladies here on SB.com could end up totally amazing him...and possibly flooding his mailbox, lol.

scrapbookmonster
Guru
scrapbookmonster

Count me in too.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to scrapbookmonster

Welcome aboard scrapbook monster! We are a rather quiet group, but a friendly group. We only get a bit chatty when someone has a card recipient to nominate

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2

I can send a card.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to scrappin 2

Thank you so much Cathe! I really do hope that the people on the forums here can REALLY flood his mailbox!

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae

I can send a card.

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae

PM Me Ali....

scrapbookmonster
Guru
scrapbookmonster

This is the card I made.

Birthday Card for Jacob Priestley By Scrapbookmonster

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

I'm hoping that I can get his card finished tonight. I have had so much going on lately that I haven't had much time to craft.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R

Scrapbookmonster - That card is adorable! It should definitely lift his spirits!

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time
In response to Joanie R

Flhomeschoolmom gave me permission to post my request here case any of you haven't seen it on the 2 other threads. My friend's daughter (or her parents) needs Happy Mail to encourage her! Here is the story:

Alright I'm calling on the card making community of friends to help me out!! If you can...great! If not that is okay too. But I know you are a bunch of good people with big hearts so I know you will come through!!

This is the deal....a sweet Christian girl is mentally broke down after fighting for her life since May. She flew into Tulsa from a Missions Trip and was driving back home to Missouri when her SUV and a Semi truck collided. This is my co-workers 20 year old daughter, Shae, and we are a close knit family so their journey has touched us all. She is a walking and talking miracle. They did not think she would make it and to be out of the hospital and out of the rehab hospital in only 2 1/2 months in nothing short of God's handiwork. She came home from rehab hospital July 7th. On July 20th one of the skull fractures allowed cerebral fluid to leak so she had to go in for major brain surgery. She came out of that doing well. She went home July 27th to only return on Aug 2nd because she was leaking cerebral fluid again. Aug 4 They did a lumbar drain and surgery through her sinuses to fix the leaking cerebral fluid. Aug 8th she got to go home but only to be in severe pain and have to return to the hospital Aug 9th...leaking cerebral fluid again. She posted this on the 9th and this is why I would love for her to get encouragement through the mail from the card community I'm a part of.

"so I'm going to be extremely vulnerable with y'all.

I am having another CSF leak. I go to the doctor tomorrow to confirm that that's what it is and start to do what needs to be done to fix it.

I'm exhausted. I'm tired. I'm sick of always being in pain. I've been proud of myself for keeping my head up through this whole process... but it's getting hard. every morning when I wake up I make a choice.. a choice to stay strong, to believe this isn't over yet. a choice to do what I can do with what I've got. left foot right foot. this is my life for a little bit. but, it's getting hard. I want a break. I need a break. so now, instead of asking for prayers for my medical results, which are definitely still needed and appreciated, I need prayers for my emotional well being. please pray for the condition of my heart and for perseverance. it is so needed. thank you all. I couldn't have gotten here without you."

Shae is an amazing inspiration and has touched the lives of so many in 2 1/2 months. Her faith in God has been amazing to watch and be a part of. But if you have ever gone through big trials you know it can be a drain on you mentally and that is where she is at....and that is where we come in!! Let's encourage her and let her know that God is still holding her in his palm through each phase of her recovery.

If you have time to make a card that would be awesome....it doesn't even have to be this month....It can be any month you feel led to send a card...she still has months of recovery I'm sure. Just PM me and I'll send her address to you. If can't send a card but have room on your prayer list they could use those too!

Thank you for letting me ask and share her story.

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time
In response to Scrap-Time

Here is the one for the AZ boy.

Green Guitar By Scrap-Time

scrapbookmonster
Guru
scrapbookmonster

I would like to share with the group about this young girl who is a survivor. I sent a card to her earlier this year. You can find news about Safyre on the web. I have been following her Facebook page and her birthday is coming up on Sept 2.

https://www.facebook.com/Schenectadyssupersurv ivor/

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Hello fellow happy makers I have been away for a while so that I could get some personal things in order...ok, I had to get myself in order...lol.

Anyways, I have no desire to talk about me on here. I popped in to let everyone know that I have a very dear friend who has had a lot of medical issues, etc. for several months now and the stress, etc of all of it is really taking it's toll on her and she could use a bit of cheering up. If anyone would be interested, send me a PM on here.

Thanks

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time

I will send some happy mail.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Thank you for participating Kathy

scrapperbee
Deity
scrapperbee

Ali, please let me know any time someone needs a happy mail--I'd love to send a card.

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time
In response to scrapperbee

Ali was in the process of moving which was all of sudden for her so it might be a bit before she gets back on here. So if you don't her from her that is why.
....oh never mind I see she is back on the boards again.

Edited by Scrap-Time on 11-01-16 06:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Scrapperbee, thank you so much for joining my little "happy project"! Welcome aboard!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Ok everyone, we have a new recipient for "Happy Mail". This one actually touches home for me because it is a gentleman that was a big part of my life growing up. He's my uncle, my mom's brother and he was just diagnosed with cancer. It's on the back of his tongue and has spread to the lymph nodes in his neck. He begins radiation and chemotherapy soon. This family has dealt with the horrible C word for the 3rd time now...his wife has battled breast cancer TWICE (but is doing good now). The cards for him do not have to all be mailed out at once, they can be spaced out over time. He is a very religious man, a devout Christian actually with a strong faith in God, so religious cards would be appreciated. If any of you ladies would like to send him some "happy mail", or add him to a prayer list then PM me for the details.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Ok my wonderful crafty and kind ladies, I have gotten word today of yet another person who is in need of some much needed happiness.

Anna C, a member of some of the threads here at SB.com is a bit out of commission with her crafting this month. A few days ago, her brother was in a serious accident and suffered substantial head and face injuries. He has had one surgery, but there are several more to follow. He still has not been able to open his eyes. She is asking for everyone's prayers, etc. for him. If any of you ladies would like to send him a card so that we can attempt to fill that hospital room with cheer when he does open his eyes, then please PM me.

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time

This was for a previous recipient (last month). I'm pretty sure she got it by now so thought I would post it.

Squeeezee By Scrap-Time

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Oh my Kathy, that is an absolutely adorable card! I just love that little bear!

And on the topic of "Happy Mail", when I walked out to my mailbox today to see if my electric bill had arrived, I had a surprise. I had an square, blue envelope in my mailbox with no return address. The envelope was pretty and intrigued me, the hand writing was beautiful, and it had a bit of weight to it. When I finally got the envelop opened (I didn't want to tear it), I found a beautifully decorated card with a message on the inside that someone had entered me into an angel card swap. It had my current address on it, so I know that SOMEONE on SB.com is behind this. All I can say is, WOW. The message to me was almost perfect, almost like someone really KNOWS what's going on in my brain most of the time. I don't know WHO to thank, but I'd love for them to know just how much that card means to me. I'm definitely putting it in my journal/smash book.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Hmm, I just checked my FB and found the most interesting thing...it's a photo thingy that reads:

"When you are filling out your Christmas cards this year, take a card and send it to this address:

A Recovering American Soldier
C.O. Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue
NW Washington, D.C. 20307-5001

Please share on your wall and think of how many cards these wonderful, special people who have sacrificed so much would get."

I think I'm going to send out one.

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
Hmm, I just checked my FB and found the most interesting thing...it's a photo thingy that reads:

"When you are filling out your Christmas cards this year, take a card and send it to this address:

A Recovering American Soldier
C.O. Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue
NW Washington, D.C. 20307-5001

Please share on your wall and think of how many cards these wonderful, special people who have sacrificed so much would get."

I think I'm going to send out one.

I thought this might not be true so I looked it up and found it is not. You can read here:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/wa lterreed.asp

Just wanted to let you know.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Well shoot! What a serious bummer that is!! Oh well, I've got plenty more people to send happy little Christmas greetings to! Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to go add that to my post on FB Why is it that if it's a "good thing", it tends to turn out this way....

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time

I know that totally sucks. I know a couple girls on here were making cards for some kid places. If I find address I'll let you know. I think there is also a cancer angel program I found once....I try to find info on it again.

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time

Here is the chemo angels site:
http://chemoangels.wixsite.com/chemo-angels-1

on top is a tab for senior angels too.

Edited by Scrap-Time on 11-15-16 07:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time

I thought I had heard one about nursing homes.
http://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2016/10/caring-hearts ...

This one is send how ever many cards you want by Nov 25. So maybe not for this year but maybe for next year?!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

I did the Chemo Angels thing MANY years ago when my boys were little. My oldest son got REALLY sick, like hospitalized and fighting for his life sick, and I didn't "check in" or mail out my angel things and I got kicked out of the program When I tried to explain what happened...well...I was told "but it was your obligation to check in if you could not send the mail"... I totally support what Chemo Angels does, it's awesome...but...I don't know if they would ever let me rejoin.

No, there's no possible way that I could meet a November 24th deadline on ANYTHING this year, lol. Thankfully my Christmas cards for the card swap that I signed up for on another forum here don't have to be mailed until after the first of the month because when my electric bill arrived today, my husband ended up having to borrow some money from his mom to help pay it. They added the connection charge, plus the remainder of the deposit that we owed, as well as our current utility charge...and it ended up being about $20 more than we had in the bank! It's funny, but not funny, because the "deposit" was $412!!! My utility usage was about $40 for the 12 days of the billing cycle that we lived in this house I like my utility usage though...at that rate, my bills should run between $130 and $150 a month! At our previous house the monthly utility bill ran a little over $300 a month! The amount I'll be saving with my electricity can now pay for my phone and internet!!

Scrap-Time
Angel
Scrap-Time

Well a friend pointed out this website to me. A ton of card request for officers that have been injured or killed. My friend was showing me about the St. Louis Officer that is bed ridden after an injury 6 years ago and needing support so he doesn't feel forgotten.
If you ever need a place to send a card here is the website:
https://www.facebook.com/support4cops/?rc=p

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Thank you for that link Kathy!

Speaking of Happy Mail, it has come to my attention that a member here at SB.com is in need of some encouragement. Almost 2 months ago, she lost EVERYTHING she owned, and her beloved cat to a house fire. The fire was due to arson in the basement of an adjacent town house. All 4 houses in the row were totally destroyed. If you would like to learn more about what she's dealing with, you can read the full story here http://www.chronicallyvintage.com/2016/10/our-home-and- ... or you can read about it here https://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/1664...

If anyone would like to send her some mail, contact me in a PM for her snail mail

I think that at the start of the year, I'm going to make a new thread for "Operation Happy Mail" and put the links to legit places that accept cards, etc. on the front page of the post for easy reference

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics