Page 1 of 21 
Username Post: JAFF Jr. (Just a Few Friends)        (Topic#1662217)
StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

This is a duplicate thread of Kim's (KimKV) JAFF that I asked her if I could copy and she gave me permission! I thought it was such a great idea, and I wanted to be a part, but was too late to sign up for her original thread.

JAFF (Just A Few Friends) is a group of “slow” scrappers, created by a slow scrapper. We are scrappers that are happy when we get 2 to 4 pages done a week. We are overjoyed if we get 6 pages done in a week and unbelievably thrilled with anything above that. And sometimes, we don't even get to scrap each week - gasp!! I know, it's just not fair.

Our Rules:

1. Have fun, share, visit and post your layouts whenever you get them done.
2. Try to check in at least three (3) times a week, even if it’s just a quick “Hi, how is everyone?”
3. Leave each other love on layouts. If anyone asks for help or a critique on a page, please either post that critique here or pm them. (Helping each other is what friends do.)
4. No challenges, if we (as a group) decide we want to have a monthly challenge or something, then we will.
5. No flooding the thread!!

Okay, enough rules. Let’s have some fun!!

Members of JAFF Jr. - Origination Sept. 2009

Stephanie (StarsNSparkles)
Becky (Becky Scraps)
Ashley (DNA301)
Andrea (andrea_m)
Jennifer (Jen) (luvmyfam)

New Members of JAFF jr.

Danielle (southern lady)

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps
In response to StarsNSparkles

Thanks for posting the new thread Stetz!!

I won't be participating in nsd. Rachel's birthday is tomorrow so we'll be celebrating that this weekend.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

hello and good morning

well going to class this morning. today is going to be a nice day. yesterday I got my dress that I order from this site that sell lulroe. here is another birdhouse that I made for someone for Christmas.
bird house By Southern Lady

mother day card By Southern Lady
a mothers day cards
hope everyone has a nice Thursday

Edited by southern lady on 05-05-16 05:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to southern lady

good morning. everyone.

As far as sports i am gender biased where my kids are concerned. DD wanted to do football and we told her no. that sport was for guys and wrestling to. Neither of my kids wanted to wrestle though. There are plenty of sports to choose from for girls, guys and some that are great coed sports. There are some i just feel do not need to be coed. That is just my choice for my kids. To me it is a safety issue. I don't say anything when other parents make different choices but i wont be agreeing with it for my kids.

I dont go into work till one today so i am trying to get some chores done around the house. I always fall behind at home this time of year.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps
In response to andrea m

Yeah Aly already wanted to do football and I told her no. Which is pretty much what I told her for wrestling. But dh's sister did it when they were kids so my dh and I disagree on this one a bit. The plus is that Aly played basketball and like it this year so I'm hoping she will just stick with that and forget all about wrestling if there is no mention of it.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to Becky Scraps

fingers crossed becky lol

DD refused to play softball because it was for girls lol. She wanted to play baseball like the boys. We explained it was the same thing just a different ball. She refused. Then when she got older and tried she figured out we were telling the truth. There are a lot of adult coed softball teams here.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps
In response to andrea m

We have the adult coed softball here as well.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

No problem on the new thread. I'd been having issues with the old one for a bit, so I was just waiting for someone else to speak up.

Andrea...ITA with you on the sports. I've made comments at the wrestling events that I didn't think it was right for girls to wrestle...not that they can't, but that it is a predominantly a male sport, and it creates an unfair advantage either way you look at. They need to try to garner enough girl involvement to create girl teams. Then, I'd have no problem with it.

Happy birthday to Rachel!! What are you guys doing to celebrate?

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae

Hi, new to this threat! But not to SB.com.... Looking to get some new inspiration, meet and make new friends, have some fun!

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to Kimberly Rae

Hello. JCI. What do you mean by ghosting? Is this something I should talk to IT about?

Have a great day everyone!

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to Joanie R

joanie when we get to many pages on a thread we start to have a blank page a pear. Stetz just usually starts a new thread. We have had this group going for years and years so the pages tend to add up.

Hi Kimberly we do share our work here but it is mainly a lot of chatting among friends about life. You are welcome to jump in and start chatting.

What a busy day. I am so looking forward to sat in my craft room. I do have to go in and start the till for day shift but that will not take long.
My parents sent me a great mothers day card and $50 to buy craft supplies. they know what makes me happy lol. I also got a $20.00 tip from a guy that I sold two cakes to. Now i can buy some new stamps and dies.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to andrea m

Stetz, thanks for the restart! Score on the dress!

Andrea, I'm taking the same approach with NSD as you are. The more I look through the challenges and find things I want to work on, the more excited I get. It will be nice to participate and get a variety of projects done. ITA that the unique criteria is weird. My kind of unique isn't the same an another person's. How sweet on the Mother's Day gift and the tips!

Scott had a friend in high school who was an Olympic-bound diver. He would show up at the pool, and sometimes the other teams would just forfeit and go home! It wasn't a gender thing, of course, but it was kind of sad to se.

Happy Birthday Rachel!

Welcome Kimberly (or welcome back....I think I saw you pop in for a minute a few months ago). Just jump on in and start chatting. We've been hanging out here for years and have gotten to know each other. Before long you'll be caught up to speed on our lives. I'm married, with 3 grown kids, and my first grandbaby due in Nov. We would love to know your "story."

Edited by Luvmyfam on 05-05-16 08:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kathy101
Idol
kathy101
In response to Luvmyfam

Hello Ladies!!
I just want see how everyone was doing.
I see you started the a new thread. Did the other one get to full?

Is everyone looking forward to NDS on Saturday?
I am!! I have finished a card and I am working on a pet layout. Yes, you heard that right. A LAYOUT!!
I will share it with you all when I am done with it.

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
Stetz, thanks for the restart! Score on the dress!

Andrea, I'm taking the same approach with NSD as you are. The more I look through the challenges and find things I want to work on, the more excited I get. It will be nice to participate and get a variety of projects done. ITA that the unique criteria is weird. My kind of unique isn't the same an another person's. How sweet on the Mother's Day gift and the tips!

Scott had a friend in high school who was an Olympic-bound diver. He would show up at the pool, and sometimes the other teams would just forfeit and go home! It wasn't a gender thing, of course, but it was kind of sad to se.

Happy Birthday Rachel!

Welcome Kimberly (or welcome back....I think I saw you pop in for a minute a few months ago). Just jump on in and start chatting. We've been hanging out here for years and have gotten to know each other. Before long you'll be caught up to speed on our lives. I'm married, with 3 grown kids, and my first grandbaby due in Nov. We would love to know your "story."

Hi all, and thank you for the warm welcome... Well I'm a Navy veteran married to my Navy sweetheart for 19 years this coming Tuesday...anyhow... I've been papercrafting since I was 7... when my grandmother bought me my first scrapbook. Anyhow... I'm a crafty blogger, a domestic diva (retired since 08 from my job as a database developer for a company that Hewlett Packard took over... I took the severance package and never looked back), I'm very active in my church, I love movies, and I'm a total geek! (I would totally be BFF's with Amy Farrah Fowler). I am kitty momma to Tybalt (9 years) and Lucy (10 months) both rescue kitties. I love reading sci-fi fantasy and biographies (currently reading Drew Barrymore's book 'Wildflower', she and I have way too much in common, it's scary), I'm the co-conspirator of the Bodacious Blinging Divas, a scrapbooking and paper crafting group on FB along with my buddy Maria Brown. That about sums it up... sort of, it's late and I'm sleepy and David and I have great plans for today... museum hopping (Going to see the Warhol Exhibit at the Crocker Museum downtown).

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

Good morning! The rinky-dink outrageously priced small-town carnival is in town...so we took DS last night for a couple of hours. He met up with a friend from school, and they rode together...he had a great time. Tonight is laundry and grocery shopping, since I will have no more time for the next week. Tomorrow, we are going to shop for tile to get the house completed. Sunday is M's Day...going to my sister's for the annual family get-together. Monday is cleaning day...and Tuesday, the in-laws arrive for a week...they are coming for DD's graduation.

I'm a little annoyed this morning. I found out that at the graduation ceremony, the top 10 students of the junior class are going to get to walk the stage and get recognition. Andrew is one of the top ten. I'm proud of him, he's a really smart kid...just got a 30 on his ACT, and he works hard at it! I'm only annoyed because this should be DD's day...I always feel like she gets the short end of the stick...and a day to be about her, has also become about Andrew. This is what Honors night is for...and his own graduation next year.

Hi Kimberly...welcome to the group! Congrats on the upcoming anniversary! Hope you have fun at the museums...I like going to them, but rarely get the chance...there are no good ones around me.

Joanie...this is the 3rd time for this thread...it doesn't bother me to start a new one. It was funny on the first thread we had...we started calling the ghost "Fernando." We noticed are posts disappearing and next page just to have there be no next page. It only happens when our page count gets really high!

Andrea...woohoo on the Mother's Day gift from your parents...and on the wonderful tip!! You go girl! I hope you get some scrap therapy time!

Jen...after you talked about it, I did go take a look at the challenges. I noticed on one where they said the unique part, they would pick 6 winners based on that, but there were 10 total winners...so will the other 4 be random? IMO...that would be a hard one to put a winner too...uniqueness is too unique to everyone...and what may be unique and new to one person, may be stupid and old hat to another.

Hi Kathy...the other thread got too long...we've seen problems occur when the page count gets too high.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

hello and good morning

well today is cloudy and look like it is going to rain here. I been cough a lot and have a sore throat. I didn't get much sleep last night. I am going to work out but just take it easy today.

Stetz- I am sorry you are annoyed because this should be DD's day... yea it should be her day not Andrew.

have a great Friday everyone

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

stetz I agree they should recognize those 10 on honors night. Not on graduation. They are not graduating. I guess all you can do is let Andrew know you are proud. But really gush over the fact that dd graduated and make that the big part about her.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to andrea m

Danielle, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well! I hope it passes quickly!

Andrea...I did exactly that, telling Andrew I was proud of him and awesome job on the ACT score this morning. Next Saturday will be all about DD. Andrew will get recognized at the ceremony and clapped for, but the dinner before and the party after will be all about DD and her graduating. I've made some decorations and really trying to go all out for her. I know she feels over-shadowed by Andrew a lot, and I hate it that her night she will again feel that way. Not by me though.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Stetz good for you and if Andrew complains just tell him when he graduates you will be the loudest one cheering for him but this year is dd's turn. I f he cant be gracious about it and understanding he does not deserve praise any how.

I am so ready for tomorrow it has been a long week. I feel like it has lasted a month lol.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to andrea m

I'm treating myself to a PTO day today. I slept in, did a donut run for DH and myself (he's working at home), and now I'm sipping coffee and surfing the net. At some point I need to clean my craft room. I have NEVER let it get this out of control. I have too many projects going on at once, plus I never unpacked and reset from my last 2 back-to-back crops.

Kathy, yay for the layout! I can't wait to see it.

Kimberly, I might just be jealous about the Warhol exhibit. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I would love to see his work. I have 2 kitties, too, both rescues and they are littermates. I've known Maria for years....and years and years. We first met here. And Happy Anniversary!

Stetz, that is a bit annoying about the juniors at graduation. I think that ceremony should belong to seniors only. Let the juniors get their awards separately. It sounds like you are handling it well. I missed that 6 of the 10 winners will be judged. I guess that does make the other 4 random. I'm good with that. Some people like judging, some like random draws.

When our kids were little, we could call the moving carnivals, "light bulb testing facilities." LOL. We got away with that for years before having to fork out money to attend one.

Danielle, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Are you doing anything for NSD?

Andrea, I agree....this has been a long week. I still can't wrap my had around it being May. I feel like I'm forever caught in April, which was a horrid month for me. That month felt two months long, at least.

Where's Ashley?

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to Luvmyfam

jen enjoy your day off.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to andrea m

thanks Stetz .

jen thanks yea I am doing little stuff NSd. my scrapbook room is a mess here I clean it and then it is back to messy. I can't Waite until I have my own scrapbook room.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

Ugh...I wish it had been a long week! I'm going crazy with all the stuff that has to be done this month...it's packed!

Jen...woohoo on the day off! Donuts and coffee sound wonderful...but ugh...no donuts for me! I have lost 5 pounds though, so I'm not complaining too much!

Messy scraproom...oh I know the feeling! I've got so much going on in my office/scraproom, plus it seems to be the catch all room for everything and anything! That's the thing...the juniors do get awards separately...they have an honors night for them...along with the other grades. I don't see why they need to be paraded across the stage of a senior graduation.

Wow...smart on the Light bulb testing facility!! I don't think I could've ever gotten away with that! I really don't mind taking him...he had a lot of fun...and he was really great about going when I said it was time.

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae

Good afternoon, just a short blurb before the man and I get underway...

NSD is tomorrow.... whoooooot!

Ok. I'm done.. haha.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Stetz, if you're looking for those 5 pounds, I shall gladly return them, LOL!!

I don't see why the juniors need to parade through the senior graduation, either.

We also told the kids that the ice cream truck was the music truck. That lasted until a neighbor dad treated ALL the kids on the court to ice creams. My older two were happy and mad at the same time when that discovery was made.

We were never big fans of the moving carnivals here because of the reports of ride accidents. I think CA has cracked down on inspections for the rides. I remember it being a deal in the news several years back, and I haven't heard of issues in quite a while.

Thanks Andrea!

I printed a lot of pics today. I struggled with my Selphy. I love it, but it's not always easy to figure out. Once I do, though, it's great. I went through the various challenges and signed up for a few. I just need to clean up now. Going through the challenges brought back to mind the things I didn't like. The words, "scrap your most favorite...." or "scrap your most memorable....." unnerves someone like me who has to read through law everyday and follow it to the letter. I'm pretty certain that I've already scrapped my favorites and most memorable things. I think using "a favorite" or "a memorable" would have changed the tone. I'll stop whining now, and stop taking things too literally, LOL!!

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to Luvmyfam

i have my pictures printed and some stuff ready for tomorrow. I finished one challenge already but am waiting for tomorrow to do most of them. It is nice that you have almost the whole month now to complete instead of a couple hours. I really did not start entering them until a few years ago when they gave you all day. I cant do the short time limits.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to andrea m

I agree, Andrea. I love the longer time limits.

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301
In response to Luvmyfam

Hiya? Been working on my mom's Mother's Day gifts LOL! I had planned on getting it finished on Wednesday but then my sister came over and that turned into her crashing in my room...which led to my mom being in there and so on and so forth. I got it done tonight after Girl Scouts, though...which is a good thing since I have to work this weekend and my friend and I are going to see "Captain America: Civil War" tomorrow (after I come home from work LOL). Both my sister and I have to work Mother's Day...that kind of sucks but, at least, I avoid the awkward bunch out with my mom, sister, and my sister's husband LOL!

Stephanie- That's awesome that you and Gregg have come up with a solution for Andrew's behavior and are working together! I wanted to decorated the top of my cap for high school graduation but, as we were a private school it wasn't allowed...we'd be "out of dress code" and not allowed to participate in the ceremony.

Becky- That's slightly amazing and crazy that girls would wrestle but, then again, there are women in UFC so that's proof they do fight LOL!

Andrea- We have that problem with Girl Scouts. We'll have a party or event and people will come crawling out of the woodwork just for the free food or activities or whatever. It really annoys my mom.

Jen- Most of my note taking involves the more technical side of things...like the longer procedures for cleaning the machines or setting up new programs in the machines. It's the stuff with a million and one little steps that you have to do that get written down. Not participating in NSD...have work and then it's "Civil War!"

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to DNA301

Ashley! You're alive! Have a great time at the movie. I can't wait to hear about it. I take notes at work, too. It's essential at times. I'm annoyed when coworkers don't take notes when learning something new. I think DD was sometimes taking too many notes instead of trusting that she would remember something later (i.e. taking notes on common sense things), which is why she was called out on it. In her defense, she was given dozens of unrelated tasks at once and probably didn't see the "common sense" connections right away.

Graduation hats.....the first time I saw them decorated was at Scott's UCLA graduation. There were probably 500 grads that day, and he sat next to 2 girls who decorated their hats together, to match each others. It was awesome. We were able to spot Scott quickly in the sea of people just by looking for the girls.

kathy101
Idol
kathy101
In response to Luvmyfam

Here is the layout of my dog I told you I was working on. I finished it today.
Sorry,it is so hard to read the what I put for the caption. If you want to know let me know I would be glad to tell you.

NSD The Paws Have It (Pet-Themed) Challenge By Kathy101

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae
In response to kathy101

Well, I'm sure most of you have done the proverbial 'potty training' pages with your kids. Well, me? No kids, but I do have a quite amusing photo of a bathroom stall inside a pizza joint in S.E. Idaho. I opened the stall and well the Jr. High mentality kicked in and I couldn't stop giggling once I read the writing on the wall...so, I had to take a picture of this. So, I had this great Heidi Swapp paper that matches my master bathroom towels, and I just got the Color Shine spray, and I also had this large rik-rak that I had not found anything to use with... I now present you with our master bath work of...ahem...art. Sorry ladies, I couldn't resist.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Here are some of my entries. I still have more to work on, but I doubt I'll finish them tonight.

Selfies Done Right By Luvmyfam

Selfies Gone Wrong By Luvmyfam

First Mother's Day By Luvmyfam

Edited by Luvmyfam on 05-07-16 07:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Luvmyfam

Kimberly, that's hilarious! In Hawaii they often use just "toilet." Not "restrooms" or any other term. For whatever reason, whenever DH and I arrive in HI, we see our first "Toilet" sign and then giggle like 4th graders!

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to Luvmyfam

lol jen i love that you did right and wrong selfies. that is so fun.

I finished four los in all. I need to upload the last one tomorrow when i have light. I hope to get a few more done tomorrow.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to andrea m

heres my first.

Together By Andrea M

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to andrea m

lo number 2

bring on the snow By Andrea M

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to andrea m

last one.

10th birthday By Andrea M

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to andrea m

I managed to layout the design for my next project. I will leave it out on my table tonight, and hopefully when I walk in tomorrow something will jump out at me. There is a piece on it that I'm not sure if I love, or hate, LOL.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Luvmyfam

family By Southern Lady

Dogs By Southern Lady

Selfie By Southern Lady
here is a selfie I did of me when I got my new hair cut. can't take selfie good.

dog By Southern Lady

kathy101
Idol
kathy101

Hello everyone!

Jennifer I send you a PM about something.

I just wanted to share a Mother's Day card I made for my mom. I made it today.

Happy Mother's Day! By Kathy101

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to kathy101

Kathy, thanks. I responded. It was sketch #1.

Had lunch today with Shawna, James and his parents and one of his grandparents. It was a really nice lunch. I like James's family and they seem to like us. I've gotten grocery shopping done, some chores done, and I need to do bills. Laundry can wait another day.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Luvmyfam

well we went to the movies and saw the huntsman winter war.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301
In response to runzalot81

Hiya? I saw "Captain America: Civil War" on Saturday...went dressed as Black Widow despite the fact she's Team Iron Man since it was just too darn cold to wear my Captain America tank top LOL! The movie was so much better than "Avengers: Age of Ultron" on so many levels. There were plenty of serious parts but, as Marvel does so well, there was lots of humor in it as well. The theater just about erupted when they showed "Queens" in big letters just before Spider-Man showed up and every time Queens was mentioned thereafter. My friend thought it was just because of Spider-Man...I had to explain to him that he was sitting in a theater in Queens (Spider-Man and I come from the same boro LOL) and we are very proud of our home LOL!

Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day! I had to work but I got my mom inflatable flowers as I was walking home and I made a bunch of stuff too.

Jen- That's why I take notes...some days you get shown a lot of procedures and it's just a lot to remember unless you write it down.

Kim- LOL on the bathroom layout! I've seen some pretty interesting...or creepy...things written on the walls of bathrooms.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to DNA301

For the NSD recipe challenge:

Lasagna By Luvmyfam

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• runzalot81 Said:

Hi stranger!!!! We've missed you!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Luvmyfam

Ashley, that must have been fun sitting in the theater when Queens was displayed. I don't think I've ever seen inflatable flowers. Interesting.

We took the bikes out this afternoon. The sun started shining (finally) as we got the bikes ready. I had to take a couple of turns at speeds higher than I would like (but still within the speed limit). My arms are a bit sore now. I think I was holding the handlebars too tight, LOL. Oops.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Luvmyfam

Good morning! Happy belated Mother’s Day to all you wonderful mommas!! I had a good day. DH did good this year helping Elias to pick out a beautiful “mom” necklace…and DD got me a bouquet of flowers and a “mom” necklace too. I told DD…even when DS isn’t trying to copy her, he still does! LOL I love them both and will take turns wearing them. DH’s gift to me was my tattoo I got a month ago and a new birthstone mom ring that is on order since mine broke about a week ago.

Jen…no, no I’m not looking for those 5 pounds back LOL…you can keep them! LOL on the ice cream truck, you obviously were a very creative mom and they should appreciate that! I spent NSD tracking through home improvement shops buying tile to get the house finished!

I’m glad you got to have lunch with one of your kiddos. Are their marriage plans for James and Shawna? I’m not one of those who believe you have to get married b/c your preggo (LOL I didn’t for sure with Shelby), just was curious! I’m glad the two families get along…that makes everything so much easier!

Ashley, DD’s principal was talking about not allowing the kids to decorate their caps this year…but all the girls said that he could say what he wanted, they were still doing it. I don’t see any harm in it…it lets the kids express their individuality…and DD’s is really pretty.

Alissa…OMG…Surprising to see you! How are you?

Hi Andrea & Becky…hope you guys had a great Mother’s Day!!

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

Stetz - I agree with you on involving the juniors in graduation. They should have their own night for that. When is graduation?

Well, well Alissa!!! Haven't seen you in forever. Stick around and tell us how you've been!!

We took the kids to an indoor waterpark Friday night for Rachel's birthday.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Good morning.

I spent most of the weekend crafting which ws what i wanted. We ordered Chinese food for dinner. Dh worked most of the weekend so not a lot got done around here. We have been busy and a quiet weekend was nice.

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend and a nice mothers day.

Hi alissa hope you stick around and chat.

Its back to the dentist for ds today. third app. in two weeks. I have errands to run and this week i go back to starting work at 11:30. The week is already packed with app, softball games ect.

Becky I bet she loved the water park for her b day. Is this a place you go often?

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps
In response to andrea m

I think this is the 3rd time we've been to this one. We only live a little over an hour from Wisconsin Dells so we are close to a bunch of them.

Andrea I feel your pain about the busy week. The end of the school year always seems so busy.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

Becky, they do have their own honors time...that's why I don't see why they need a 2nd recognition. Graduation is Saturday. I did talk to DH and tell him that I didn't think it was right, and I wanted to make the day about DD and not Andrew getting recognized. He was totally agreeable to that.

My kids love those waterparks. We've stayed in the hotels several times. I hope Rachel had a good time and had a good birthday!

Andrea, I'm glad you got to enjoy a quiet and crafty weekend! You should get what you want on M's day weekend! Ugh on DS and the dentist...I hate continual appointments like that!

This whole month is swamped for us! I'll be so glad when June gets here...but then E's football practices start.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

June will still be crazy for us as Trevor will still have baseball, Rachel will have gymnastics and Aly will have swimming lessons. But at least there won't be school activities and homework in the mix.

I'm glad dh agreed with you about making the day about Shelby. Maybe you guys could do something special for Andrew on the day of the honors thing.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

good morning

well today it is cold and windy her. well even I not a mom but I am a mom to my dogs. so yesterday we went to the movies to see the huntsman winter war. it was a good movie. then came home and then later on went for a bike ride around the neighborhood. then we had dinner my husband cook the pork chops. well talk to my mom last night they are going to come the second week of june and I will be head back with them to cali that way I can visit family and friend then fly back home. my mom want me to go threw some stuff that she has and see if I want it.

Stetz - sound like you had a nice mothers day

Hi alissa hope you stick around and chat

Luvmyfam- sound you had a great weekend.

everyone eles sound like they had a nice mothers day

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I hear ya Becky! School homework with just one kid drives me insane...I can't imagine having 3 little ones to have to do that with! It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't put this common core cr*p in it!

DH gets Andrew a gift for good grades. It's something he's always done as reward and incentive. So, he'll get that...I just don't want it to be on Saturday. Andrew's last day is the 25th, so IMO, that's when he should get it. I always felt like school was my kid's job...and good grades were there paycheck. I didn't do gifts for grades...it was and is an expected result.

Danielle, a movie night sounds fun. I'd like to see that movie, but it didn't have very high reviews, so figured I would wait until it came out on DVD.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

I agree good grades are expected and my kids don't really get anything for them. But if they get a specific accomplishment I usually do a little something. Nothing huge just enough to recognize it. The first time Trevor won a math challenge we took him out to dinner to celebrate.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I think that's a good plan Becky. That way they get rewarded when they go above and beyond, but they also know that their best is expected. I never expected straight A's...I expected my children's best. I recognize where they may not excel as much and where they excel more.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

Exactly. Of Trevor, straight A's will probably be expected except in art class as it's not his thing and his teacher clearly doesn't like him. Rachel I won't expect that but they should be up to her ability which for the most part should be A's but I know won't be all the time with her. Aly is still young so I'm not sure where she fits somewhere between the two I think.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I think it is incredibly smart of a parent to know and see their children's strengths and weaknesses. I hate it when parents think their children are perfect and excel in every area. Everyone has flaws...and you help your children more if you can see those!

DD is the opposite of Trevor, she is OK at school...and she maintained honors all 12 years (just got the 12th grade notice), but it wasn't high honors. She just doesn't care for the book learning part...on the other hand, she excels in art and is extremely talented.

I'm not sure with DS yet. He does really good in school and tests really high, but until he gets in a grade where I can see personal growth in an area, then I won't know. Same is true with sports...we're starting our first one, so we'll see.

kathy101
Idol
kathy101
In response to Luvmyfam

Here is a card I did for the NSD Card Sketch Challenge.
It is sketch #2:

NSD Card Sketch Challenge #2 By Kathy101

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301
In response to kathy101

Hiya? Still training on CBC at the lab (but with a new trainer)...there are supposed to be three techs at the station but they were short one so I was "supervised work training" today with my trainer while the other tech sat and checked results. By 3:30, the tech checking results got annoyed or bored or something so she started having my trainer and I only run STATs and babies...she batched up all the routine tubes and had us put them all on at 3:55...so the evening shift had to deal with the results LOL!

Alissa- Hiya!

Jen- I'd never seen inflatable flowers either...but I pass like four florists on my way to and from the lab and one of them had them sitting with their Mother's Day balloons and I decided they were too amusing not to buy!

Stephanie- I never understood why we weren't allowed to decorate our caps...but we weren't. That's awesome your husband was with you on making graduation about Shelby and then celebrating Andrew another day. My mom DEMANDED (like that, all caps) straight A's from me...anything less was a disappointment. My sister, as she supposedly "didn't test well," was subject to less strict penalties if her grades were less than perfect.

Becky- My sister said she's seen a million of those indoor water parks during her road trips with her husband. I bet they're a ton of fun for the kidlets!

Andrea- Sounds like you're awfully busy!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to DNA301

Good morning! So, for about 5-6 weeks now, I've been having back troubles. The chiropractor took an x-ray of my low back and I have sacralization of my L4 to my sacrum, which is not uncommon, except it normally occurs with the L5, which I don't have. This has also caused the sciatic nerve to become pinched or something shooting pain down my right leg. I've been seeing the chiropractor 3 times a week for the last 2-3 weeks. Yesterday,he started me on decompression, which he straps me down to this table and the table pulls apart my vertebrae. It finally gave me some relief from the sciatic nerve, but wow does my low back hurt now. He said, depending on how this helps or doesn't help, we will have to make some decisions tomorrow at my appointment. He thinks we may need to get an MRI and see if the disc has been damaged. I just want the pain to go away!

Then, I went home and spent the next several hours cleaning the house. Today is Gregg's birthday...and it is also the day my in-laws arrive. They will be here until Monday morning. Pray for me! LOL They wanted to come for DD's graduation...and since it was so close, they wanted to be here for Gregg's birthday. At first, I told Gregg no, it was too long. But, then I felt bad because these are his parents and he doesn't see them often, so I said tell them yes.

Tomorrow is DD's last day of school. After school, she is going to sign up for college. OMG! I can't believe my baby girl is going to start college!

Ashley, who knows why schools come up with half the rules they come up with. Yes, I was very thankful DH was on board with me. My parents were easy on me...probably because I was their "good" kid! LOL I got A's without trying...and they thought I stayed out of trouble. I was just really good at being sneaky. It was quite a fall from the pedestal they had me on when I got pregnant at 18.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

Stetz is dd going to college locally? What for?

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

Yes, she'll have to travel about 25 miles each way, but it's only for a year for cosmetology.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

That's kind of what I thought but then almost wondered if I was remember something from one of the girls I work with as she has a daughter and a step daughter graduating this year.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

We never pay for greades. I n our house it is expected. I feel like that is a kids job . My kids are spoiled and get plenty handed to them anyway.

Stetz is dd excited about starting college?

Good luck with the in laws.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to andrea m

I agree completely Andrea...my kids are beyond spoiled!

Yes, she is excited...more so just to get out of HS. It's definitely not been the best 4 years for her, which I've told her all along it wouldn't be.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Stetz, graduation is this Saturday? That seems so early! Wait...Andrew is in school until the 25th? I'm so confused, lol. When does Shelby start college? Ouch on the back. I'm sorry it's so painful. Shawna has told me that she and James want to get married, but I haven't seen any movement in that direction. It doesn't matter to me either way, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. To me, having a baby together is a much larger commitment than getting married.

I remember giving our kids $$ if they got straight A's. It worked until the administration decided to get rid of grades and go with this weird alternative system. Shawna and her friends collectively decided, "why bother, if we can't get A's." Basically, kids were give a "pass" or something else----I don't remember the term, but it was some politically correct term for less-than-satisfactory. They were afraid to tell children that they were performing poorly, but clearly forgot to give them incentive to try hard. To make matters worse, they would hand out rewards constantly. Shawna has a stack of printed certificates praising her for everything non-scholastic. Her generation was a mess in our district. When they finally were old enough for the A,B,C system again, it was a big eye opener. These kids thought they were doing good, but they struggled for B's. Scott never experienced any of that, and the system was changed to a numbering system by the time Stephen got there. With Stephen, however, they dropped any references to good behaviour and academic habits in class, which made it impossible to monitor his performance in the classroom.

Danielle, the previews for that movie look great.

No indoor water parks here. We have a nice outdoor one in the next town. I haven't been there in ages. They should open the park for just adults for a day. I would go then, LOL!

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301
In response to Luvmyfam

Hiya? Crazy day at the lab today...one of our three CBC analyzers went on the fritz so we had to call in services to check it out...which left us with two machines for most of the day...until one of them went offline (not a malfunction...just its daily, programmed shutdown for an hour while it runs internal checks) and we got stuck with one machine to do a ton of work. There was a lot of yelling about STATs not getting out fast enough at that point but we couldn't help it.

Stephanie- Sorry to hear about your back problems. My mom says sciatic nerve problems are the most painful things in the history of things. Good luck to Shelby in college!

Jen- For a while, the school my mom use to teach in forbid teachers from putting grades on papers because they were "damaging" to the kids. They also couldn't mark questions wrong...which made no kinds of sense to me.

kathy101
Idol
kathy101
In response to DNA301

Hello Ladies,

Here is another card I made last night. Yes, I have been in a card making mood lately. This card I had fun making.

Happy Birthday! Sketch #4 By Kathy101

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to kathy101

Good morning! The in-laws have arrived, but last night went pretty well. I was really dreading going home, and the closer it got to that time, the more I felt like I was going to have a panic attack! LOL Hopefully though, the rest of the week will go as well. I did get the question this morning, "is there anything I can do for you while your gone?" Um no...last night you asked and I said yes, nothing got done, so why bother.

IDK what I'm going to do about my back. The last few days, I've woken up feeling like I got in a brawl in my sleep. The pain has been pretty immense in my back, but I hate Dr. appointments, and would rather not mess with them.

Jen, yes it's this Saturday. That's always how our school does it, which is weird, the seniors get out of school early and graduate, while the undergrads have several more days. It's kind of funny though b/c the boy who always complains about having to go to school has to continue to go for 7 more days while DD gets to sleep in. Shelby will hopefully start this fall, but if the class is already full, it'll be spring semester.

Did Shawna and James plan having a baby or did it just happen? Now-a-days, it doesn't seem like either one of them is much of a commitment...it's sad how young adults view children and marriage. Not saying that's true for your DD, just a generalization of how downhill commitment has gone.

Elias still doesn't get grades, he gets numbers. 1 is needs improvement and 4 is excels. 2 and 3 are in the middle. I like how the numbering system covers so much more in that they list every possible area of subject work and behavior, but it's hard to tell how he does in a particular subject.

Adult water park day sounds like a winner to me!

Ashley, sciatic nerve pain is very painful. It starts in your low back and radiates down your leg. Sometimes it's a constant pain and sometimes it is a shooting unbearable pain. The worst part is, there is nothing that is comfortable when you have it. It hurts to sit, to stand, to walk, to lay down...everything!

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

It just blows my mind that Shelby is graduation already!

My kids school does the 1-4 system as well. They have grading on behavior as well.

I had sciatic nerve pain with my pregnancies and it was awful. Every once in awhile I get it now. Luckily not often. You should really go to the doctor just in case it's something serious.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Stetz i get my self nervouse and sick when my mil comes. Last time my stomache hurt for three days and then she bailed on coming. I felt fine once the anxiety went away.

Sorry your back hurts. I know how bad it can make you feel.

Our schools used to let seniors out a week earlier but they dont any more. Here all kids start at an f and have to work their way up. It is a lot harder to get an A. You used to start at an A and work your way down. They want that A to really stand for something and not be so easy to get. The one big problem is until a test or big assignment grade is entered it looks like your child is failing. Teachers can get kinds lazy about putting grades in and until report card you are clueless to your child's grades. The schools also do everything online which i hate.

I am ready for school to be out. By this time of year i am tired of school work, packed lunches, and everyone getting ready in the morning. By the end of summer i will be tired of everyone hanging around all day lol.
I think with ds working this summer will be different and dd will probably have more than two practices a day for softball. I think she will have 4 to 5 tournaments to play in.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to andrea m

Becky...I know! It seems like just yesterday for every day of the last 18 years! I'm not all sad over it though...like all the moms claiming they are crying over every senior post on FB! LOL I am so excited for her...her HS years have not been great, and I know she is going to flourish once this stage of life is behind her!

I am seeing a chiropractor about my back. He's done an x-ray and he can order an MRI. I just don't know if I want to get an MRI...b/c what if it is something then I have to deal with that. LOL I know, I'm a mess!

Andrea...I am just like you...so ready for the school year to end and be done with daily homework and lunch packing for a couple of months! I'm also ready for our vacations and just getting away for a bit...I need it! By the end of summer, I'm ready to have routine back! LOL

Our schools are the same on grading when they get to the A-F grades. The kids start at 0 and their first grade determines where they start on the grading scale.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

I believe the seniors here get a done a few days before everyone else too.

I don't know how the kids grades work here. You really have no idea what they will be until the report card comes. I don't even know what they are based on as sometimes it's like there is conflicting stuff on them. My kids always get decent #'s so I don't worry too much about it. Part of me will be glad when they are in middle school and the grades are actually based on test scores and not just what the teacher feels they get.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81

Ashley, awesome to see that you're a working woman. Congratulations! You seem happy.

Stetz, I often think of you and Gregg. I spy occasionally just to see how he is ... I hurt my back for the first time in my life over this last holiday season. Lost a fight with a garden hose.... That is so exciting for DD to be moving on to college. Some of the best years of my life!

Jen, Shawna is in a relationship? And she's pregnant?... That grading system sounds wild! ... We have a new waterpark opening just a few minutes from my house!!! I am so excited

I'm tired of school

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Alissa, how many weeks do you have left? That grading system was such a major fail. Yes and yes on Shawna.

Stetz, your back will be in the same condition it is with or without an MRI.....just something to consider. I say get the MRI to rule out anything serious and to hopefully put you on the right path to getting back on track. I get it though.....I hate dealing with docs. Shawna and James planned this. Can I have a big please? I agree....commitments aren't what they used to be.

I've experienced both grading systems myself (A-F and F-A). My favorite was starting out at an A. It was easier for me to maintain an A than to feel overwhelmed starting out with an F.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to Luvmyfam

What a long day and now it will be a long night. DD wont be home till midnight or later.

I got a text from another mom that she is catching again tonight. She made an out at home in the first inning. I was bummed i was not there to see it.

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301
In response to andrea m

Hiya? Had today off from the lab (you get a day off the week before and the week after you work your weekend...something about hours and pay periods) so I went to get new ballet slippers and modern things...they're shoes but not really because they're just for the front of your foot. Then I came home to my sister texting my mom...we had to get her dog. She just left after calling me every name in the book because I refused to walk her home with my mom. Now she's swearing she's never coming over again because of me...this should lead to a great "conversation" when my mom gets back.

Stephanie- That's great that you and your in-laws are getting along so well. Hope it continues! The high school I went to did the same thing...the seniors got out weeks ahead of the undergrads. When you were not a senior it was annoying...when you were, you owned that privilege LOL!

Andrea- DANG! That sounds like a really difficult grading system to navigate! I can only imagine how frustrating it is to not know how your kids are doing until report cards. Part of why my mom retired was the whole "Everything online" thing...her not being tech savvy was making it hard for her to work.

Alissa- I was in a position in a hospital where I wasn't happy but I'm in a better hospital now so I'm happier LOL!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to DNA301

Good morning! Another good evening besides the excruciating pain in my back! It was bad...I finally resorted to DD's pain pills she had left over from her tonsillectomy. They've been doing decompression on me, and he said it'll take 4-5 times to see an improvement...in the meantime, I'd have pain from stretching all the muscles, tendons, and ligaments! OMG! My MIL suggested a cortisone shot before I go on the cruise, b/c who wants to be miserable during that...and to get a cortisone shot, I have to have an MRI, so we'll see what my family doc says Monday.

DD wasn't too thrilled about starting college on Aug 8. I told her this morning, I didn't mind if she waited until Jan to start, I just didn't want her waiting until next Aug. It's only 1 year, so IMO, I think she should just get it over with while school is fresh in her mind. She enjoyed staying up later last night and sleeping in this morning!

Alissa, thanks for spying Keep your head up...school is almost out!

Jen, I am surprised that they planned a baby, but I'm also glad that it wasn't an "oh no." I don't think any baby is an accident, but I think it helps the parents when they don't think it is! I didn't plan DD, but she is the best thing that happened to me...and saved me from a short road of self-destruction! Did you tell us what she was having?

Andrea, sorry you couldn't be there to watch DD...those long distance games are grueling! Congrats to her though getting the out!

Ashley...woohoo on your sister never coming over again! Good job! Of course, we all know she won't stick to it! Darn the luck!

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

Stetz I hope you back starts feel better soon.

Ashley I agree with Stetz your sister not coming over would be the best thing to ever happen to you.

Andrea that stinks that you didn't get to see her good play.

Trevor had a game last night and it rained and was freezing out. So it was quite the miserable night.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Lol stetz i was going to say the same thing to Ashley.

I think dd would be happier starting school right away. Kids always want time to do nothing but college is not like high school and she will probably have a lot of fun.

Ashley we all know she is just doing that for attention. Quit feeling bad about it and tell your mom that that makes everything easier. Also tell her you are no longer watching the stupid dog without being paid. You work and your free time is yours not your sisters. You really need to stand up and quit caring about your sisters tantrums and wants.

Becky are game the other night was like that. It was so cold my body hurt.

I am getting a hair cut today and then it is work and training more new people.

Edited by andrea m on 05-12-16 06:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to andrea m

Thanks Becky!

I hate cold rainy nights for sitting outside for games! It was terrible here last night with the storm and tornado spottings/warnings. But...tis the season!

Andrea...I need a cut bad...just a trim really! I wear my hair short, so it doesn't take long before I need it trimmed again.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Stetz my hair is short to and i changed the style this time. I am not sure i like it yet but i was tired of the other style. I have really straight hair so i dont have a lot of body. my hair grows fast and you can not get a hair cut here for less then $45.00. I spend a lot to keep it short but i hate my hair long.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to andrea m

Andrea...are you going to show us a pic? My hair is also completely straight...and very fine and very thin...it's really hard to get my hair to look good. But...my hair doesn't grow fast...I wish it did b/c I'd love to try long hair again, but I get too impatient with the growing out. Wow...I would hate that for just a haircut...I can get mine cut for under $20, but I like highlights...so that costs me another $40 easy.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

I like my hair short right now. but when I put in a ponytail it is short. my hair cost a little more seen sometime I have to get my hair hightlights.

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301

Hiya? Today I found geeks at the lab! I was wrapping up the day and I got into a very involved conversation about "Game of Thrones" with two other techs. I've been trying to keep the geeky part of my personality out of work, since geeks aren't exactly still socially accepted, but I couldn't help jumping in...especially since "Game of Thrones" has finally started to get good again LOL! It was nice to be able to talk about geeky things, though, because it's really tiring having to squash one whole, huge part of my personality all day.

Stephanie- I thought most colleges started in August (the college I went to didn't but they had a weird schedule...my grad school started in August though). That's one thing I miss because of working...staying up late. I do my best thinking late at night.

Becky- Ick on the weather at Trevor's game. I remember having to watch my sister play softball in weather like that...so not fun!

Andrea- I've complained pretty constantly about the dog...because he and my beagle don't get along so my poor beagle winds up getting locked up for days on end...and I've asked to be paid for watching the dog but it all falls on deaf ears.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to DNA301

I used to pay 20 for a hair cut and had no problem with it. I feel kinda ripped off when i go get it cut now.
My cut is nothing special its just a reversed bob style. Its different than my spiky hairdo so we will see if i keep it.

I hate styling hair. I am not any good at it so the easier the better.

I am so ready for the weekend i wanted it to be friday all day today.

Edited by andrea m on 05-12-16 07:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to andrea m

Good morning! I'm about to beat my DD! LOL At 6:30 last night, she decides she wants to go to her last Honor's Night ceremony, which would've been fine, except it started at 7. We had just finished dinner and were cleaning up still. Plus, I needed to change and freshen up my hair and make-up! She has a bad habit of deciding things at the last minute, then expecting everyone to be able to jump to. Then, we get there...and the stupid thing lasts 2 hours, was very boring...and not worth it, as she got two certificates, and most of it was them handing out 100s of scholarships, of which she didn't receive one. Doesn't surprise me, because my DD does only the basic requirement...if it requires effort...forget it!

This morning, she had dress rehearsal for graduation at 8 AM, plus they are taking their pics in cap and gown and giving parents 2-5x7s. All fine and dandy...except at 7:40, I say something about her not having her tassel on the cap. OH NO...she has to have it...but she's gesso'd over the button and it needs cut through in order to get the tassel string on...and she's already got the cap on and bobby pinned...so I did the best I could to get a small cut and stick the string in all while trying to get out of there so I could get DS off to school. She frustrates me so much because she doesn't seem to think anything through...then at the last minute, she's trying to get stuff done! It drives me crazy!

Ashley...yay for finding some like-minded co-workers! That's wonderful!! Yes, as far as I know, all colleges start their fall semester in Aug, but her classes started at the beginning rather than the middle. I don't know that cosmetology is right for her, so I'd rather her hold off and be sure, rather than just go to go. She said she really doesn't want to do it, but there isn't anything else either.

DD doesn't want to apply herself and she doesn't want to work at anything. She wants to do as little as possible to get by. I don't get where she gets that from. I didn't finish college, and I've done really well in life, but I can't say she will as she doesn't want to work. She doesn't seem to have any drive or ambition. It really breaks my heart.

Andrea...I have a spiky hairdo...it's so easy to do. I tried a stacked bob, but it's really better if you have thick hair (at least thicker than mine). I'd have a hard time paying over $20 for a simple trim/cut.

Edited by StarsNSparkles on 05-13-16 05:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

thanks you By Southern Lady

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Stetz we probably have had the same haircut. Its a spick bob that is short in the back and longer in the front.

My hair is thick. especially when long. I like it short for that reason. Right now i need the back to grow out a little more to really get the cut like i want.

Ugg on dd waiting till the last minute. You are right she needs to think it thru about college. I moved out right after graduation and had to be responsible for all my bills. I think that makes a huge difference. If you have someone else paying for everything then the drive is not forced.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to andrea m

Sounds very similar Andrea. Right now, I'm just sticking with the spiked look. Maybe after vacations, I'll grow it out a bit and try to do something different.

DD says she wants to live on her own at some point. She said she doesn't want to go from mom's house to hubby's house. That'll all depend on whether she can and/or will work a full time job. Even if she makes minimum wage, she can afford a small apartment on her own, but she'll have to work full time. I think it'd be really good for her, because she has no life skills yet...I have spoiled her way too much.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

Stetz i think we all spoil are kids. I have had a lot of talks with ds as he only has 2 years left. I told him he will have to help pay for college. He will have to work while going to college. We are not rich. We will help in every way we can but its not a free ride and it will be a lot of work. He is training for his first job this week and seems to be excited about that and earning his own money. It pays $10. an hour which is good for here. Minimum wage here is $7.75 I have talked to him about starting to save now. Who knows if he is really listening.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps
In response to andrea m

Where did your ds get his first job?

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I agree Andrea...most kids now-a-days are very spoiled and don't have a clue. DD has held a part time job for a little over a year now, for which I'm proud of. What I'm concerned of is her willingness to work full time. She complains about the little bit she has to work...I can't imagine her working 40 hours a week....and especially not having to get up early every day to work.

Congrats to your DS on his first job! That's great on the pay...would be great starting pay here too. I think minimum wage is $8.25 here.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m

ds is going to be a life guard at the local pool. He is taking training classes right now and once you pass you get the job. I see no reason he wont pass. He has already taken a bunch of first aid and swimming classes for boy scouts. He is excited about it a few of his good friends work there. They were all going to dinner after training today.

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301
In response to andrea m

Hiya? Today something freaky happened at the lab...I was on training for a position called "DL" (the person at the CBC station who is responsible for processing results) and, suddenly, between the four of us, we lost a purple top tube for a CBC, Long story short, it randomly flew out of the cartridge in the machine and wound up behind one of the parts in the machine...which, from what I heard, almost never happens. The kicker...the number on the tube was 1313!

Andrea- Both my mom and sister have short, spiky hair cuts. My sister spends about $40 every two weeks to have it done! Congrats to your son on his job! Hope he enjoys it!

Stephanie- I'm sorry to hear your daughter doesn't apply herself and doesn't feel the need to work. It may have take me fishsticking forever to get a job but I wanted to work, contrary to what most of my family though. I just spent a ton of time busting my rear end to get there.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to DNA301

Stetz, so sorry on the back pain. It sounds excrutiating. Shawna doesn't know if she is having a boy or girl yet, but they do want to find out. And remember these words with DD: A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part. Or something like that. I think Shelby needs to work full time whether she wants to or not, or at least get through college so that she can work full time. She will adapt to all the hours, and she will still complain, but it's doable. We all do it. Shawna said for years that she wanted her own place, but never put a plan in place for herself to make that happen. I would push her, but DH wouldn't. She's repeating it all now by saying she wants a more challenging job so that she can earn more, but doing nothing to get ahead at work.

In our area, you cannot earn minimum wage for 40 hours and still afford an apartment, even with a roommate. People share apartments with multiple roommates and have multiple jobs. It's sad.

Andrea, awesome job for DS!

Ug on sports games vs brutal weather. For as good as the CA weather is, most games we went to were in brutal heat or nasty coldness. We once had a water polo match in the fog. The steam off the pool obscured the back half of the pool. You would hear cheering and screaming, and then nothing when they went into the steam/fog, and then cheering and screaming when they came back to where we could see them. Hilarious.

Ashley, woot on finding like-minded coworkers. That makes working so much more fun. That is crazy about the 1313 #!

I'm lazy about styling my hair. I blow dry it like someone blowing leaves off their lawn, LOL!

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to Luvmyfam

finally finished this from last weekend.

First deer By Andrea M

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301
In response to andrea m

Hiya? Spent today helping my mom clean the yard...and then, since my sister decided not to come over today, my mom and I watched "The Good Dinosaur." I'd seen it in the movies but she hadn't and far be it from me not to make sure my mom's up to date with all the Disney/Disney Pixar releases. She actually cried during the movie which surprised me. Tomorrow my sister's off and she wants to go into Manhattan to return a dress she bought.

Jen- We have much the same situation here with housing. People making minimum wage and working 40 hours a week can't get a place on their own. One of my sister's co-workers was, at one point, living with 5 other roommates in order to just make rent and utilities.

Page 1 of 21 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics