Username Post: Sizzix Precision Base plate questions?        (Topic#1662621)
Expert

I was excited to buy this, however after using it last night I am quite disappointed with it.
Video on you tube said it doesn't leave cut marks on the plate, but mine did with the very first die....it is now very cut up, with silver cut marks on the black face of it.
It works no better than the acrylic plates, and it actually is a bit of a tight squeeze thru my Big Shot.
I am sandwiching as directed.
I have put thru various brands of dies, with same results.
Is this only for Sizzix Thinlets dies? I don't own any of those.
So far, I think this is a total waste of $30.
Does anyone have one of these and can offer some tips?
TIA

don1
don1 
Pro
don1
  • don1 on 06-11-16 03:35 PM
In response to christiscraps61

Any die you run thru your machine will scar your plate. The only reason it wouldn't scar the plate is if it doesn't cut the paper. Each Sizzix platform has directions printed on it. Your clear plates are "expendables" and need to be replaced from time to time.

Expert
In response to don1

Thanks don1, for getting back to me.
I am disappointed with it, because it claims to cut intricate dies out better than if using the acrylic plate and I find this isn't the case,
I still have to run them through 3 or 4 times.
I was wondering if anyone else found this as well?
To me, that is a waste of money!
I was wondering if it is meant only for sizzix thinlet dies, to work as advertised?

don1
don1 
Pro
don1
  • don1 on 06-12-16 02:26 PM

Cristi, you are either missing a step, or using the wrong dies.
Here is a video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiq8Dy2f_is
Hope this helps.

Expert
In response to don1

Thanks for the video Don1.
So, it seems I do have the right sandwich, and am doing it right.
I have run thru a lot of different brand dies ( all thin metal dies).
I am using intricate ones, not open ones as explained in video.
Some it cuts with one roll through, and some it takes several times through....just like when I use my acrylic plates.
Overall, I am just disappointed that it doesn't cut once through with all of my intricate dies.....like they advertise it does!
If it only works with Sizzix brand thinlet dies, then they should clearly say that.
I still think I have wasted my $30.

don1
don1 
Pro
don1
  • don1 on 06-13-16 10:41 AM

If I were you I would contact Sizzix. I have never dealt with them, but my guess is they would want to know of user problems. I would use the most direct method. I got this off their web site; https://www.sizzix.com/
Contact Us
Contact us for help with any issues or concerns
You may contact us online 24/7

By Phone*
(Toll Free in the USA)
(Outside of the USA)
* 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. PST
Monday through Friday

By Fax
(Toll free in the USA)
(Outside of the USA)

By Mail
Sizzix Customer Service
25862 Commercentre Drive
Lake Forest, CA 92630-8804 USA

Solitaire
Expert
Solitaire
In response to don1

For very intricate dies, it is recommended to tear pieces of paper and lay them on top of the parts that don't cut all the way through. this will make it a little thicker and help the cut. Remember to tear, not cut the pieces of paper so it doesn't leave a straight line when you roll it through.

Also, rather than place the paper on the base plate with the die facing down, I would do it the other way around so you end up cutting into the clear top plate, which is more easily replaceable.

Expert
In response to Solitaire

Thanks Don1 for the Sizzix details, I really appreciate all the trouble you went to for the info you provided.
Also, thanks Solitaire, for the tip about the torn paper, much appreciated.

Tenant

Sometimes you need to use a 'shim' if your particular die is a little too thin. I just use very thin cardboard, make a piece the size of the whole plate and put it under the sandwich. Then start with one. Keep adding until it cuts the first time. But....be very careful not to overdo it because you can stress out your machine and plates if you get too thick. Good luck!

Edited by Antoinette Young on 06-21-16 08:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

don1
don1 
Pro
don1
  • don1 on 06-23-16 03:43 PM
In response to Antoinette Young

Solitaire, I asked Maria "The Sizzix Lady" about cutting up instead of down, her reply; "It's the material it's made of that gives a cleaner cut to your intricate dies without having to run through multiple times or at least minimizes it. You will find that you will be using that plate for a long time. We demo with ours a lot at shows and have not replaced it."
I follow the directions, but I am also a big proponent of "whatever works".

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics