Username Post: Donating Scrapbooking materials?        (Topic#1665801)
yellowstar
Resident
yellowstar

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I'm looking to downsize significantly (a la Marie Kondo) I have approximately 7 6ft towers of 15*15 plastic storage filled mainly with paper. The thrift stores aren't interested as paper doesn't sell well. Do you know any organizations (not Day cares or schools) that would accept? It's mainly 12 by 12 cardstock and pattern paper stacks,a lot of it DCWV circa 2009-2012. I'd prefer not to have to pay for postage when donating ...any suggestions appreciated. I'm in the Chicago area.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to yellowstar

Some of the abused women's shelters take scrapbook papers to help the women learn to scrapbook.

My son wanted to get rid of his cat supplies after he didn't have cats anymore so last week he put it on a local "garage sale" part of Facebook as free to anyone who can use it.

Within 10 minutes he had at least 5 phone calls and within 30 minutes someone came to get the stuff.

I'm not sure where that part of Facebook is, but he always puts things he doesn't want anymore but doesn't want to sell or throw away, and everything is always snapped up very quickly.

I think every city has a free donation/garage sale thing on Facebook.

And, never any postage or shipping.

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Henri Jean

Not sure why you don't want to give to a Daycare or school, but along the same lines are city art centers or the like. They would probably love to have those supplies.

ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim
In response to Babylou

Schools and day cares don't take much 2nd-hand craft stuff these days. I'm not sure if the issues are legal, or if it's because art classes aren't offered because of budget cuts.

There are lots of places that do take scrapbook and craft supplies, however, including the aforementioned city art centres. There's a place in a city near me called the "Reuse Centre," which up-cycles all kinds of stuff for kids' art classes, birthday parties, etc. I'm sending a huge box of goodies their way this month.

Are there any elder care of assisted living facilities in your area? If they have crafting programs, they may take some of your stuff too.

As for Marie Kondo, I think someone should up-cycle her. It's just my personal opinion, of course ;-)

yellowstar
Resident
yellowstar
In response to Henri Jean

Great idea! I'll definitely try the fb route.

don1
don1 
Pro
don1
  • don1 on 03-06-17 05:51 PM

Most Senior Centers and housing associations have craft rooms. When it's time for me to wrap it up I'll leave a lot to the craft room here in my Senior Community. I have already left some, and I help with projects.

Tenant
In response to don1

You are in the Chicago area. My sister lived at Misericordia Home and I used to send SB supplies to them. They LOVED them. Misericordia Home is a residential campus, and more, for developmentally disabled people. They are in Andersonville, Chicago, roughly near Peterson and Ridge Roads, not too far from Loyola University.

They have a number of areas where scrapbook supplies come in handy. Especially paper, stickers, albums, stamps and stamp pads, etc. You can learn about them at www.Misericordia.com.

You can private message me and I can put you in touch with people at Misericordia Home.

Thanks for looking for a good cause. Ellen

shygypsy
Resident
shygypsy

I don't know if this is an option or not. Is it possible for you to make simple cards from some of your paper stash to give to seniors (care facilities, senior centers etc)? Maybe recruit friends to help and make an evening of it? They could be used by the residents to give to one another or to their families during special occasions and holidays.

People don't send cards like they use to back in the day. I know my mother-in-law (who lives independently) loves to send cards to her friends/family. She also loves receiving them. She doesn't get out very much, but she likes to keep a stash of cards on hand to send out from time to time.

Also, there are a few that post here...that ask for cards to be donated for various charitable summer camps for kids going through difficult times. I believe I read a post where they will even pay for postage.

I have read the Marie Kondo method and appreciate what she has to say....at the same time, maybe... by taking a small stack of your stash to make cards for others.... will also "spark joy"

MarciLB
Queen
MarciLB
In response to shygypsy

Do you have a scrapbook convention that comes near you?...they collect giveaways.....and donate them....

TanyaN77
Idol
TanyaN77
In response to MarciLB

One of our local scrapbook stores (in Cedar Rapids, Iowa) has a garage sale like 2-3 times a year. Maybe you could check to see if any of yours do.

Edited by TanyaN77 on 03-12-17 03:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

IleneM 
Tenant
In response to TanyaN77

I've donated to our local women's shelter

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to IleneM

Girl Scouts!!!!!

yellowstar
Resident
yellowstar
In response to bonprof

Ok! So thanks everyone for suggestions....after more than a year since I posted this I was able to pass along 5/6 of my patterned paper stash! I’m talking around 80 paper pads...and countless loose sheets.

I used the free function on Craigslist, free marketplace on Facebook and asked friends and family. This is how it ended up being divided!

Multi gallon tote (45lb) to NY
Tote to some lovely lady in Illinois
Tote to boys and girl’s club
Moving box small to a lady
Moving box medium to another lady

It’s so nice to only touch papers I truly love and know that people who now have the papers will hopefully use them.

I spent a lot of time separating paper pads and trying to organize them into themes which was really fun. I essentially only kept papers I would pay a $1 a piece for today.

Also I think it’s so important to keep editing my stash as my taste and themes change so much over time. Papers that appealed to me 10 years ago no longer do. There’s so many new styles out and I’m at peace with my reduced stash and feel confident that I’m only three clicks away from the paper I need and I want!

I’ve also forgiven myself for “all the money wasted” because it brought me tremendous joy having all that when I was in a different place in my life. I think I was worried about uncertain financial future where I wouldn’t be spend money on my hobbies...but I’m more confident in my taste and future now!

Also the most important lesson learned is that pretty does not mean usable. For example the bulk of my paper was pink, damask and floral and I typically only scrapbook holidays, vacations, and kids (my nephews who are boys) so all that pink had to go!

I wonder if anyone has had similar experiences!
Thanks again, I feel so much lighter and ready to get my glue out again!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics