Username Post: Ideas for a mini album on the go for a family vacation :)        (Topic#1666043)
mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

Hi there!

Next July, my family and I are going on a road trip for about a week. We will be my parents, my brother, my sister & Pablo (6yo) and Ana (20mo) & me.

I haven't scrapbooked since Ana was born, but I'm slowly going back to my scraproom

I'd like to take with me a small bag with a few supplies to document our trip, wether I'm able to have the pictures printed during those days or later on the month. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I'm thinking about the 4"x6" mini binders from Simple Stories with some extra horizontal 3x4/3x4 pocket pages and a 6x6 Summer paper pad
And then the basics: scissors, a couple of different adhesives, a ruler, a couple of markers, a small stapler,...

I'D LOVE TO READ YOUR IDEAS!

ETA: someone on another board suggested 6x8 album, and love the idea!

Thanks & a big hug from Spain

Edited by mariangeles_spain on 04-21-17 11:28 PM. Reason for edit: UPDATE

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl
In response to mariangeles_spain

Hello Mariangeles!
Sounds like a fun trip.
I'm on a bit of a kick right now with making my own albums by Kathy Orta King (paper phenomenon) and Ginger at my sister's scrapper.
I'm making the Simply Fabulous album by Kathy Orta King: it allows for adding postcards, maps and other memorabilia that might not fit in the regular pocket album. It also holds about 75 pictures! You could make it and add your memorabilia as you go and then add the pictures once you are home.

My other fun album is by Ginger and it is a file folder album which also has lots of room for photo mats and pocket pages for memorabilia.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

Congrats on getting back into scrapping after you had your precious babies I am so glad you are from Spain
I have seen someone do this recently
they sent home a postcard daily from everywhere they went.. that had a nice photo on the front & they wrote the details on the back too

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain
In response to gluemore girl

• gluemore girl Said:
Hello Mariangeles!
Sounds like a fun trip.
I'm on a bit of a kick right now with making my own albums by Kathy Orta King (paper phenomenon) and Ginger at my sister's scrapper.
I'm making the Simply Fabulous album by Kathy Orta King: it allows for adding postcards, maps and other memorabilia that might not fit in the regular pocket album. It also holds about 75 pictures! You could make it and add your memorabilia as you go and then add the pictures once you are home.

My other fun album is by Ginger and it is a file folder album which also has lots of room for photo mats and pocket pages for memorabilia.

Thanks!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
Congrats on getting back into scrapping after you had your precious babies I am so glad you are from Spain
I have seen someone do this recently
they sent home a postcard daily from everywhere they went.. that had a nice photo on the front & they wrote the details on the back too

Thanks!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Where in Spain are you from? My goal today is to get 2 pages of Barcelona done. Just posted a lot of Seville pages and have more to post. All just posted El Puerto de Santa Maria and Rota.

Then working on some Europe and Med pages, than back to Malaga and several more Spanish ports. Lots of scrapping in my future.

I am amazed at the beautiful architecture in Spain - it always leaves me in awe!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
Where in Spain are you from? My goal today is to get 2 pages of Barcelona done. Just posted a lot of Seville pages and have more to post. All just posted El Puerto de Santa Maria and Rota.

Then working on some Europe and Med pages, than back to Malaga and several more Spanish ports. Lots of scrapping in my future.

I am amazed at the beautiful architecture in Spain - it always leaves me in awe!

I live in Valencia, East coast, South from Barcelone My city also has lots of great buildings.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Spent the night in a hotel in Valencia around 6 months ago! Next time we are through there I would love to spend more time in Valencia.

We flew in to Rota Spain, then drove over the course of 4 or 5 days, to Barcelona. By the time we got to Valencia we had used up our time and we had to get on a cruise ship in Barcelona so next time - more time in Valencia. Also, I didn't get to see Madrid so will go back to see that and anywhere else I've missed.

I've been to Barcelona several times. Been to Cadiz and Cartegena several times too.

Such a beautiful and interesting country!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• Henri Jean Said:
Spent the night in a hotel in Valencia around 6 months ago! Next time we are through there I would love to spend more time in Valencia.

We flew in to Rota Spain, then drove over the course of 4 or 5 days, to Barcelona. By the time we got to Valencia we had used up our time and we had to get on a cruise ship in Barcelona so next time - more time in Valencia. Also, I didn't get to see Madrid so will go back to see that and anywhere else I've missed.

I've been to Barcelona several times. Been to Cadiz and Cartegena several times too.

Such a beautiful and interesting country!

You must see Valencia and Madrid!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

Any more ideas out there? THANKS

By the way, any favorite Summer collection? Thanks!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 04-26-17 01:11 PM

DO NOT SCRAP ON VACATION. Document the trip with paper and pen and camera. Use a voice recorder if you can. Take too many photos. Cell pones are really good, but a good camera is better. If you don't have a camera maybe you can rent one. Go digital.
Every morning take a photo of the local news paper to orient yourself later. Take a photo of signs where ever you go to place your self.
When you get home is when you can decide the size of the album, which will be determined by the amount and size of the things you has amassed on the trip.
As the daughter, who do you think is going to busy with the youngsters? Maybe it's different in Spain.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to don1

I had to laugh when I read to document with a pen Don. If I did, I would never be able to read a word of it. Bill says I should have been a doctor because my writing looks like it came right off a doctor's prescription. When I go to the grocery store I always come home without things because I can't read my own handwriting and have no idea what I wrote.

When I go to a new doctor and have to fill out a form, Bill forbids me to fill them out - he fills them out for me. Says they need to be able to read it.

We play trivia a lot on cruise ships - and I'm forbidden from being the one who writes down the answers for the team because the team grading our papers can't read them and when they ask what I wrote, I can't read it either!

Its that bad. I don't write out a word anymore because I know if I can't read it - no one else ever can either!

I do scrap on vacations. It gives me something to do while BIll is watching tv before bed in the hotel rooms because I don't care at all to watch tv. On cruise ships it gives me something to do while Bill is playing chess on long days when we are just floating at sea and since I'm digital, it entertains me on the planes. Especially on long flights, like the one we took last year from Florida to Spain - got lots of pages done!

Every night I truly enjoy sitting down and doing my journaling on the computer to copy/paste into a digital page. For me, its what I enjoy.

I do read on vacation, but would much rather be doing digital scrapping then reading.

My kids always went to bed early so even if I had gone on vacations then, I would still have had time in the evenings to scrap.

I don't think I would do paper/trimmer pages on a vacation - never had any desire to, but I digi scrap my little heart out when we travel!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 04-26-17 08:56 PM

Being on a cruise and traveling in a vehicle are two very different situations. Not very many roadside attractions at sea.

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain
In response to don1

• don1 Said:
DO NOT SCRAP ON VACATION. Document the trip with paper and pen and camera. Use a voice recorder if you can. Take too many photos. Cell pones are really good, but a good camera is better. If you don't have a camera maybe you can rent one. Go digital.
Every morning take a photo of the local news paper to orient yourself later. Take a photo of signs where ever you go to place your self. ...

Thanks for the ideas

• don1 Said:
... When you get home is when you can decide the size of the album, which will be determined by the amount and size of the things you has amassed on the trip. ...

I know that I won't do anything when I get home, that's why I want to scrapbook that trip on the go

• don1 Said:
... As the daughter, who do you think is going to busy with the youngsters? Maybe it's different in Spain.

hahaha Fortunately, the other adults are dying to enjoy my cute daughter

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• Henri Jean Said:
... my writing looks like it came right off a doctor's prescription. When I go to the grocery store I always come home without things because I can't read my own handwriting and have no idea what I wrote. ...

Its that bad. I don't write out a word anymore because I know if I can't read it - no one else ever can either! ...

OMG! I'm a nurse and I've worked with a few doctors who couldn't read their own handwriting either...

• Henri Jean Said:
... I do scrap on vacations. It gives me something to do ...

Every night I truly enjoy sitting down and doing my journaling on the computer to copy/paste into a digital page. For me, its what I enjoy.

I don't think I would do paper/trimmer pages on a vacation - never had any desire to, but I digi scrap my little heart out when we travel!

TFS I don't do digital because I need the feel of the paper, I love my stash!
I use the computer for journaling, looking for info, etc

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl

• mariangeles_spain Said:
Any more ideas out there? THANKS

By the way, any favorite Summer collection? Thanks!

Favorite summer collection? I'm a huge fan of Echo Park but also saw Photo Play... I love the playfulness and the bright colors. My children are not longer small so can't really use them as much... but when I have grandchildren some day...
Enjoy your vacation, it sounds like it will be a very relaxing and enjoyable time.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Mariangeles - I agree with you! I love the feel of paper and things so I always have a few paper things going too. Right now at home its my mother's cookbook - lots of pretty papers and embellishments!

Don - we usually drive from Florida to California and back most years. My husband has a license plate convention in Las Vegas every year and he takes about 15,000 plates sometimes to trade or sell and he buys thousands - we come home with more than we went with. Then we drive to California to see his daughter. I get a ton of pages done on those trips.

We do hotels at night and Bill watches tv before bed and that is my computer journaling and digi scrap time because I don't care much for what is on tv. Plus, at the desk in the room on my computer, I can glance up at the tv if I'm interested.

We were just in Hawaii for the month of March and I got about 80 digi pages done in the hotel room! Bill was working on license plates - buying them, sorting them and delivering them to customers. I went with him for deliveries but at night, I worked on pages for a month after we got back from Waikiki.

When we travel - he plays with his hobby, license plate collecting as we travel and stops and junk yards and recycling places constantly to get plates. Also, we stop at antique malls and junk stores to find plates for him. And when we travel, my hobby is scrapbooking so I get plenty of that done.

I think the key is we are retired, don't really have a schedule and so our vacations are more meandering. We take plenty of time, stop in hotels early, eat dinner and then we have 4 or 5 hours before bedtime.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

You are right, not many attractions at sea but occasionally... we see dolphins, or better yet... whales!

I loved going around Norway where we saw one pod after another of orcas every day. Can I count that as attractions?

One day we were playing trivia and I looked out the window and watched what I thought was a seagull next to the ship. Just swimming around. Then I realized, it wasn't a bird of any kind!

I nudged Bill and said, "I doubt it, but that looks like a shark to me! Isn't that a dorsal fin above water?" It was a shark swimming in circles - I think he was considering attacking the ship! We could see his shadow under the water - the big guy was 16-18' long!

See? We have attractions at sea!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• gluemore girl Said:
Favorite summer collection? I'm a huge fan of Echo Park but also saw Photo Play... I love the playfulness and the bright colors. My children are not longer small so can't really use them as much... but when I have grandchildren some day... ...

I don't think you need children to play with Summer collections
I've recently discovered On A Whim, by Amy Tan, and You Are Here, by Simple Stories, and like them...

• gluemore girl Said:
... Enjoy your vacation, it sounds like it will be a very relaxing and enjoyable time.

Thanks! It'll be so special

Edited by mariangeles_spain on 04-28-17 09:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• Henri Jean Said:
Mariangeles - I agree with you! I love the feel of paper and things so I always have a few paper things going too. Right now at home its my mother's cookbook - lots of pretty papers and embellishments! ...

Ohhhh! It sounds so beautiful
I haven't scrapbooked since my daughter was born, 1.5 years ago, and I really need to get my hands on my stash, ASAP!!!

• Henri Jean Said:
... We do hotels at night and Bill watches tv before bed and that is my computer journaling and digi scrap time ...

We were just in Hawaii for the month of March and I got about 80 digi pages done in the hotel room! ...

Wow!

• Henri Jean Said:
... When we travel - he plays with his hobby, license plate collecting as we travel and stops and junk yards and recycling places constantly to get plates. Also, we stop at antique malls and junk stores to find plates for him. ...

Don't you fnd any scrapbooking treasures? Charms, trims, laces, buttons,...

• Henri Jean Said:
... I think the key is we are retired, don't really have a schedule and so our vacations are more meandering. We take plenty of time, stop in hotels early, eat dinner and then we have 4 or 5 hours before bedtime.

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• Henri Jean Said:
You are right, not many attractions at sea but occasionally... we see dolphins, or better yet... whales!

I loved going around Norway where we saw one pod after another of orcas every day. Can I count that as attractions?

One day we were playing trivia and I looked out the window and watched what I thought was a seagull next to the ship. Just swimming around. Then I realized, it wasn't a bird of any kind!

I nudged Bill and said, "I doubt it, but that looks like a shark to me! Isn't that a dorsal fin above water?" It was a shark swimming in circles - I think he was considering attacking the ship! We could see his shadow under the water - the big guy was 16-18' long!

See? We have attractions at sea!

Wow!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

Another option, since I have way too much stuff, is look through my papers/scraps and create my own kit.
I'd still buy a couple of papers I love

Like this one
https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ac-378739.html?o=9&...

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl

How cute those papers are! I love the flamingo one. If you are hoping to scrap on vacation, I'd get a whole pack and a solid so that you are ready to go. Did you decide what kind of book you are going to get or are you going to make one? My DD once made a mini album of our beach trip with one of those inexpensive photo sleeve books that hold 4x6 photos. She cropped the photos and mounted them onto paper and embellished. It was and still is cute and it was quick to make.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I do love this paper! Adorable. I love paper with flamingos and - well, after seeing your picture I put it in my basket here that is getting rather full. Well, I tried to - out of stock but they will notify me when its in.

Beautiful paper! Very cool!

I do find things for scrapping in antique malls - mostly old post cards and different local things. Makes scrapbooking so much fun!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• gluemore girl Said:
How cute those papers are! I love the flamingo one. If you are hoping to scrap on vacation, I'd get a whole pack and a solid so that you are ready to go. ...

Idea #1 is to get a 6x6 paper pad and some solid scraps, idea #2 is to make a 6x6 paper kit out of my stash if I'm able to purge my papers in the upcoming weeks

• gluemore girl Said:
... Did you decide what kind of book you are going to get or are you going to make one? ...

I'm almost sure I'll get a 6x8 Simple Stories binder. I love all the different pocket page protectors you can use

• gluemore girl Said:
... My DD once made a mini album of our beach trip with one of those inexpensive photo sleeve books that hold 4x6 photos. She cropped the photos and mounted them onto paper and embellished. It was and still is cute and it was quick to make.

I once made something like that: http://scrappingmariangel es.blogspot.com.es/2012/10/lon...

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• Henri Jean Said:
I do love this paper! Adorable. I love paper with flamingos and - well, after seeing your picture I put it in my basket here that is getting rather full. Well, I tried to - out of stock but they will notify me when its in.

So did I! hahaha

• Henri Jean Said:
... I do find things for scrapping in antique malls - mostly old post cards and different local things. Makes scrapbooking so much fun!

Great!

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl

That album looks perfect and your idea of creating a 6x6 kit with your stash might work especially b/c of the different size pockets and if you have the time.
I made an altered album for a trip I took last fall and used a mix of papers that coordinated. I had a small pack from MME and added other papers... I do like the eclectic look it has and yet they do coordinate. I did ink all the papers first which I think helps it to work.
Love that album you made and yes, that's similar to what my DD did.

I enjoyed visiting your blog! Took a peek at your scrap room and it looks so bright and inviting.

Edited by gluemore girl on 04-30-17 04:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• gluemore girl Said:
That album looks perfect and your idea of creating a 6x6 kit with your stash might work especially b/c of the different size pockets and if you have the time. ...

Yes! Love pocket pages to put in business cards, brochures, etc

• gluemore girl Said:
... I made an altered album for a trip I took last fall and used a mix of papers that coordinated. I had a small pack from MME and added other papers... I do like the eclectic look it has and yet they do coordinate. I did ink all the papers first which I think helps it to work. ...

Thanks for the ideas

• gluemore girl Said:
... Love that album you made and yes, that's similar to what my DD did. ...

Thanks! I made 3 of them exactly the same for the 3 of us: my mom, an aunt an myself

• gluemore girl Said:
... I enjoyed visiting your blog! Took a peek at your scrap room and it looks so bright and inviting.

Thanks! I'm making some changes in my scraproom but here you can see the last version as of Sep'15
http://mariangelesmasegos a.blogspot.com.es/2015/09/mi-s...

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

With all the iNSD sales going on, I've bought my stash hehehe

I've listed it below. I got one more 12x12 paper from On a Whim but can't find it in here; it's the one with multicolored sun glasses
I've also bought extra refills 6x8 and 2(4x6). I have 2 more albums of the same size waiting to be made, so I'm sure I'll use everything up

Edited by mariangeles_spain on 05-06-17 03:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

These papers are so colorful! Beautiful selections!

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl

So nice! Love the colors!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

Beautiful choices. It sounds like a very special family trip and so much fun.

If you could handle one more suggestion. .........for the simple stories binder and 6x6 pack you previously listed I recommend getting their inserts pack. It has dividers,tags and pockets made for the 6x8 album. These inserts are sturdy and super cute. They had more but the store is out of stock. It might be worth a look.

Edited by jaxxan on 05-07-17 09:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• Henri Jean Said:
These papers are so colorful! Beautiful selections!

Thanks!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

• gluemore girl Said:
So nice! Love the colors!

Thanks!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:
Beautiful choices. It sounds like a very special family trip and so much fun. ...

Thanks! We're all so excited

• jaxxan Said:
... If you could handle one more suggestion. .........for the simple stories binder and 6x6 pack you previously listed I recommend getting their inserts pack. It has dividers,tags and pockets made for the 6x8 album. These inserts are sturdy and super cute. They had more but the store is out of stock. It might be worth a look.

Thanks for the suggestion
I've been taking a look but not my style... I'll do my own ones

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics