Username Post: Scraproom Makeover        (Topic#1666273)
cindy312
Diva
cindy312

I've been working on improving the organization and functionality of my scraproom for a year. I love how it turned out!

Scraproom Makeover, May 2017 By Cindy312

Details and lots more photos here: http://www.cindyderosier.com/2017/05/scraproom-mak eover...

I'd love some suggestions from you all about improving the shelf area just outside the closet door. There are four small staggered shelves right now that aren't very functional and I know one of you has a good idea about how to improve it.

Also, I'd love ideas for the space that currently has the washi storage, bulletin board, and bookcase my dad built.

Thanks in advance!!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 05-12-17 06:13 PM
In response to cindy312

Get rid of the closet door, life will be much simpler. Then take a wheelbarrow load of money down to Ikea. They just love scrappers.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to don1

I have found book shelving units to be very functional but not sure you can find a size that will fit that space. I have two units stacked on top of each other (top to top, or the top unit is upside down on the bottom unit) that hold lots of bins, jars, 12x12 paper files.

This shows how they are stacked... and at the time right outside the closet!!
Scrap 1 By Sewflake

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Sewflake

By the way, nice space in that closet!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sewflake

Your room is absolutely lovely! My scrap space is a combination scrap room for me and computer room for my husband. It is where we spend every minute of our spare time. We get up in the morning and we come in here to check computers - email, FB, and boards - we never go in the living room. We are always in here.

When we have company, we put extra chairs in here and everyone hangs out in our little computer/scrap room. Its where we are cozy and comfortable.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to cindy312

Nice post about your room. It is lovely especially with all the wonderful pieces that have been made for or carried over from childhood. Perfect for a scrap room!

In regards to your questions about the two areas mentioned and considering I am still working on my space, I feel the best way I can help if I have a better idea of what you want out those areas. What is it that is making you want to do something with them? Do you want aesthetic or a functional design in those places?

For example, byyour closet I could see larger framed pictures hanging in a vertical row or some decorative shelving like the open box frame look. The washi tape tape wall there is a ton of options but I will say I love them being displayed as their colors are so fun to see.

I am not sure I helped as you asked but I do appreciate the pictures of the room and the tour. By the way the closet looks great. It looks easy to find things as well as easy to put back

Edited by jaxxan on 05-13-17 11:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl
In response to jaxxan

What a great space Cindy! I like the staggered shelves and would probably use them for decorative purposes instead of practical. Photos in frames with small canvas quotes might be cute here or large letters to spell out SCRAP might be cute.

For washi tape, what you have does not seem practical for regular use. I'd never take the time to put it back up.
I keep mine in a sterlite drawer with narrow basket dividers (utensil tray might work too). I sort them by colors and themes.

Love the bulletin board.

Enjoy your new space!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to gluemore girl

I love the new do-over! Hmmm....suggestions? I think I would have to see it in person to give any good suggestions.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Sewflake

• Sewflake Said:
I have found book shelving units to be very functional but not sure you can find a size that will fit that space. I have two units stacked on top of each other (top to top, or the top unit is upside down on the bottom unit) that hold lots of bins, jars, 12x12 paper files.

[Sewflake[/url]

Good idea!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:

In regards to your questions about the two areas mentioned and considering I am still working on my space, I feel the best way I can help if I have a better idea of what you want out those areas. What is it that is making you want to do something with them? Do you want aesthetic or a functional design in those places?

I'm definitely leaning more functional than aesthetic. For one, I need more/better space to display albums. I need a solution for gift wrap materials and would like more space to display 3-D artwork, like the foam/felt bird currently balanced on the pegboard. Bigger shelves would let me do that.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to gluemore girl

• gluemore girl Said:

For washi tape, what you have does not seem practical for regular use.

I don't take it down, except to add more rolls. I can just dispense it from where it is, tearing off a chunk as I need it!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
I love the new do-over! Hmmm....suggestions? I think I would have to see it in person to give any good suggestions.

I think we can make that happen!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to cindy312

What a great room! Like you, my very favorite part is the behind-the-door shelving unit. I've always wanted one of those. You know, after looking at your photos, I think I actually agree with Don (did I just say that?!?!). I'd probably take the closet door off the hinges for now, but that's just a matter of opinion from someone who like to "see" everything. Now that you're done organizing your room, my address is .... ;-D

scrapmomof4
Pro
scrapmomof4
In response to dwelch

Looks great!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to cindy312

• cindy312 Said:
  • jaxxan Said:

I'm definitely leaning more functional than aesthetic. For one, I need more/better space to display albums. I need a solution for gift wrap materials and would like more space to display 3-D artwork, like the foam/felt bird currently balanced on the pegboard. Bigger shelves would let me do that.

I really like what you have done with space especailly moving the IKEA 6 cube bookshelf ( I am spacing on the propper name.) over by the window and putting your albums in there. The only thing I would recommend is going vertical in a couple of those openings. I just bought some Totally Tiffany "magazine" style paper holders that can hold 12x12.
Ikea also has inserts now for those cubbies as well, might be worth a look. I just know once I started storing vertically it changed things a lot.
My other suggestion is to put shelving above your paper wall to house and showcase your finished projects or small albums. It is a great focal wall and it seems large. The way shelving is designed now you could build it around your painting or do a variety of short andlong to add interest. Just a couple of ideas.

Your room does look great now, maybe you just need to be in it for a while then make tweaks as needed.

Edited by jaxxan on 05-20-17 01:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to jaxxan

Great suggestions - thank you!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics