Username Post: Printing photos        (Topic#1666479)
Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace

Curious how everyone prefers to print their pictures. A lot of people use small wallet size or square photos that haven't been cropped. Print them yourself? Shuttefly or Snapfish? Local place? Something else.....

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Samothrace

I use Shutterfly for 99.5% of my photo printing, ever since a Walgreens in-store pickup gone terribly wrong. I don't often do 4x4 photos, but Shutterfly has that option now.

ELLANVANNIN
Governor
ELLANVANNIN
In response to aquabunny

I use Shutterfly whenever they have the 101 free prints offer, though last time (a couple of weeks ago) I found out they've almost doubled the shipping cost. I print some 4x6 and a lot of 3x4 that I prepare in photoshop placing 2 in each 4x6 sheet.
I use my printer a lot too. It's great for those non regular sized photos, and for the oversized ones (I print them on letter size paper).
I've tried Amazon during a free Prime trial, and they are my favorite but I didn't become a member because I don't buy as much to justify the cost of the membership.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to ELLANVANNIN

Wait, Amazon has photo-printing? I don't have Prime either but that is really interesting to know.

scrapperbee
Deity
scrapperbee
In response to aquabunny

I use Snapfish. When I need a couple fast, I pick up the order at Walgreens; but usually I just wait until they have a penny print sale.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to scrapperbee

Wow, uh, that sure is a new shipping pricing thing over at Shutterfly. Unfortunately I get tons of free print codes over there. Looks like I'm hunting for a new photo provider soon though. Love 'em for photo books, but dang. (And I think they doubled the cost of the lay-flat upgrade for those - whatever you get by default certainly does not lay very flat.)

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Wait, Amazon has photo-printing? I don't have Prime either but that is really interesting to know.

Looked into this, apparently Prime just gets you free shipping on print orders of $15 or less, otherwise it's $4 for shipping. Given my recent Shutterfly shenanigans that sounds completely fine.

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to aquabunny

Ugh! I was planning on using shutterfly for a mass printing of photos but if the price of shipping is that crazy, not really worth using my app then.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

I copy my photos to WORD. Then I can resize and crop the images until I get it just right. Print it out on my printer using photo paper.

ELLANVANNIN
Governor
ELLANVANNIN
In response to Solitaire

When printing with my computer the paper that works best for me is the Canon brand but mainly because that's my printer's brand too. In my previous HP I had to use their brand for better results.
About photo books, I just found out Groupon has awesome deals for Printerpix. I bought two of them:
1 8 x 8, leather hardcover, 40 pages for $6.99 (regular price $69.95) plus $6.95 for S & H.

1 8 x 8 leather hardcover, 50 pages, for $5.00 (regular price $124.95) plus $8.95 for S & H.

Don't ask me why the second one costs less than the first, I have no idea.
So I got both of them, a total of 90 pages, for less than $28!!!
I've received them already and I love them. Great quality indeed.
This deal has several other options (less pages, different sizes, etc.) I just bought the ones I needed.
As a first time customer I got a coupon for 40 free prints so I will try that very soon.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• Samothrace Said:
Ugh! I was planning on using shutterfly for a mass printing of photos but if the price of shipping is that crazy, not really worth using my app then.

Here's their new photo print shipping chart. This is on top of the price of the prints themselves. https://www.shutterfly.com/help/pricing.jsp#delivery

Once I'm out of free print codes I think I'm leaving Shutterfly for 4x6 prints (but will still use for photo books and 4x4 prints, at least for a while). I'm keen to try Amazon Prints (which is contracted through Snapfish) - it might be what finally drives me to Prime.

I "use" Persnickety Prints for 4x12 prints, by which I mean I used them once, liked the results, and plan to build up batches of pics I want as 4x12s until ready to place an order of several, to make shipping more worth it (flat rate $6, but if you want to try them and haven't, you can get a one-time free shipping code when you sign up).

Hey Jude
Veteran
Hey Jude
In response to aquabunny

I'm a Walgreens photo tech, so....

aquabunny, so sorry you had a bad experience. I hope they worked to do all they could to rectify any problem.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Hey Jude

I used to develop so many prints at Walgreens the manager gave me a card that said 8 or 9 cents a print and it was good all the time!

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake
In response to Solitaire

• Solitaire Said:
I copy my photos to WORD. Then I can resize and crop the images until I get it just right. Print it out on my printer using photo paper.

I do this too! My printer is HP Canon MG7120.

I used to mass print photos as well, but I found that didn't really work with my style. I tend to not scrap multiple photos on a page, so I have all the left over photos from events I've already scrapped about.

Plus, I really like working with smaller prints a lot of time and that's hard to do with photos that are already mass printed as 4x6.

ThriftyJenny
Tenant
ThriftyJenny

• Samothrace Said:

If you are using the "unlimited free" 4x6, 4x4 option on the app, the price still hovers at about $.09 per print at 150ish prints, based on chart link aquabunny posted. A lot of the time, 9 cents printed and shipped is about as good as you can hope for!

ELLANVANNIN
Governor
ELLANVANNIN
In response to ThriftyJenny

I have the app but the offer never worked. I got tired of calling Customer Service for them to remove the shipping each time I needed, they could never figure out why the app doesn't work for me. Anyways, online, taking advantage of the 101 free prints, with the new shipping costs it also amounts to about $0.09 per print. Obviously you can't have more than 101 prints each time. The increase was shocking because it used to be less than $6 for S&H.

ELLANVANNIN
Governor
ELLANVANNIN
In response to Vivian Lake

I too like smaller pics so I open them in Photoshop, then open a new 4 x 6 page and move each pic to it resizing them to 3 x 4. This way I get 2 pics in each sheet which means that, when I take advantage of the 101 free prints, in fact, I get 202.
Maybe you can do the same in Word.
I' really pleased with how my printer does its job but I've compared the same pic printed by Shutterfly, Amazon, and Snapfish, and the quality is much better, besides the fact that $0.09 per print is much cheaper.

Resident
In response to ELLANVANNIN

Persnickety currently has free shipping on orders of $39 or more. Just need the code from their website.

New Kid On the Block
In response to travelscrapper2

I use persnickity unless I am having an "emergency" and then I use walgreens app

xxNikkixx
New Kid On the Block
xxNikkixx
In response to teacherlisa2

I'm new in this forum, but I wanted to add my 2 cents on picture printing, as snapfish and shutterfly have either messed up my pictures or they cost a fortune. So I researched for hours and found adoramapix. I don't know if anyone is familiar. I chose the luster (?) finish and they turned out incredible and was reasonably priced. I'm sorry if this seems spammy. I was just really impressed. I am affiliated with them in no way.... Now I'm off to post what I came here to post.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics