Username Post: Who Appreciates Your Scrabooks?        (Topic#1666699)
bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Do you scrapbook just for you? Or do you give albums to children and grandchildren? Do you think they really appreciate them?
My children really love their books, but how can they really know how much work went into them?

Edited by bonprof on 07-19-17 10:56 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sunberry2
Guru
sunberry2
In response to bonprof

I do the actual scrapbooking for me. I'm the only one that's really going to know the hard work that went into each individual page. And I'm ok with that.
What matters to me is that my children have these books that they can look through and remember some of the things we've done and my oldest can read the stories that I've written onto the page and enjoy the memories that we've created.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to sunberry2

I agree with everything you said!!
I appreciate you sharing.

MarciLB
Queen
MarciLB
In response to bonprof

I actually do most of it for me now, and whoever wants it later can take them! I do however, do many books/framed pages for others and I do think they love them-when I made my brothers-his wife said every chance he got for a while-he couldn't stop looking through it!

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to MarciLB

Donna, you know my story, I think.
I make mine for my granddaughters and at this point they really do like them.
My own children have zero interest in any of the scrapbooks.
I'm hoping my granddaughters will appreciate them even more as they get older.

I do mine more as a hobby than anything.
Because for those who don't scrapbook and don't realize and appreciate the amount of time we took to "decorate" a page along with their picture on it---I always wonder, would they be just as happy looking through a photo album ??

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to ChansGram

I say I scrap for my grand-kids but mostly I scrap for myself with the intent that the grand kids will want them someday.
I have given only two that I made for grand-kids to them. One was to my eldest grand daughter that recently re connected with her birth father and family.... that way she would have pictures of her growing up years to show them.
The other was a 6x8 book that I made of another grand daughters first year. Other than those two, I have kept all the rest.

Samothrace
Idol
Samothrace
In response to Sewflake

I've made some as gifts, mostly for myself. My scrappy friends really appreciate the work involved and get just as excited as I do. I'm an art teacher, so it's my own personal expression and paper manipulation to keep my own creative energy going. The school year gets very long and daunting. I usually only get the chance to scrap maybe 4 or 5 days throughout a school year, if that! One day, I'd like to get back into more 'fine' art and improvement of my technical skills in that regard.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Samothrace

I appreciate everything everyone is sharing. I do it for myself. It is such therapy and joy at the same time. My partner Kerry really appreciates my art. She has come to learn what several of the techniques are and takes pleasure pointing them out. When we were looking at this house initially, she said she knew immediately which room the scraproom would be. That means a lot.

Edited by bonprof on 07-19-17 10:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to bonprof

Tiffany,
Are you a coach in addition to a teacher?
I know that is a crazy load.
I teach Special Education at the high school.
I get up very early to scrap before work.
Have to!!

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to bonprof

Great topic! I guess I started scrapbooking for me b/c I really enjoyed it. I always loved taking photos and looking through albums and creating my own as I was a teenager and had my own 35 mm camera.
I got into this type of scrapbooking 18yrs ago when my then 3 year old son asked, "where's MY baby book Mommy?" And so it began.
Weird thing, is my DD who is an artist and a teacher, is not as excited about the books as is my DS. DD does enjoy making cards and mini books though.
So I'm not sure what will happen to all the books I've made and as I type this I have at least 2-3 books worth of pages to put into the binder albums!

Bonprof, Love that your partner takes an interest in your hobby. My DH is very supportive too and it does mean a lot.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to gluemore girl

It all started with a suitcase of old pictures. I just wanted to organize them. Pictures are supposed to be seen, right?

I do it for me. If someone else likes it, it is a plus. I gave my brother a heritage album. He looked thru it and said his grand daughter would love it. But I got the joy of making it.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

When I was 19 (that's almost 50 years ago!) Bill and I were engaged. I started two scrapbooks when we were dating - one of mementos and ticket stubs and stuff taped in and one of pictures put in with picture corners.

After we broke up when we were 21, I quit scrapbooking. I married, had kids but never felt like scrapbooking again.

Thirty eight years after we broke up, we got back together and I started scrapbooking again. I scrapped our story then and now.

Seven or 8 years ago his sister found the old scrapbook I had done with the pictures. (Memorabilia one is gone forever I think). The pictures were mildewed, some were wet, and all were faded terribly! I paid a lot of money to have some of them restored, although none are perfect, I was able to scrap them in a book I call "Together Again" (I name all my scrapbooks and give them a chronological number.) Together again is part pages on our old stuff, then a big page that with clocks all over it that says "Thirty-Eight Years Later" then our dating stuff when we got back together in 2008.

My books are nearly all travel pages. They have a lot of journaling and read like a book. I journal or keep a journal every day when we travel and those notes and paragraphs are copy/pasted onto my scrapbook pages along with the pictures and memorabilia and mementos.

I also do historic research - a lot of it and put it on my pages.

I scrapbook for me because I enjoy it. I was doing paper/trimmer scrapbooking and after filling about 80 of the post binders with 40 pages each (approx.), I started with 3D and converted them all so I could put on the spines which counties they were.

After 26 books of 80-100 pages each, I got tired of that and went to digital. I am in love with digital.

Now instead of 4" or 5" books - they are about 1". I'm working on book 52 now. Its called "Welcome Aboard - Part 4".

I had all of my old books, almost 2,000 pages scanned and downloaded every page into Shutterfly and so those are in my choronological series of 51 printed books.

When a new book comes in the mail, my husband and I sit down and look at it together. When we have company and we talk about places and travel, my husband will grab the book with that country on the spine and is very proud to show them off.

We had company last week and she had just come back from Tonga for a 3 week vacation. When she was telling us about the country I told her we had been there and she asked if we had pictures. Bill grabbed the scrapbook with 10 or 12 pages of Tonga and she thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the things and pointed at everything that she, too saw!

I have a 8 1/2 x 11 binder that goes on the shelf with my scrapbooks. It starts with "A" and alphabetically lists everyone in my books - family and friends. It has a listing of each book they were in and what book number... Anderson, Shirley - Book 12 - visiting them in Texas and under "G" - Gibson, Jeanelle - book 31 - 85th birthday party.

When someone visits Bill hands them the index book which is called "Friiends and Family" (plastic filler sheets which I update constantly. He tells them to find their name and then he pulls the books they are in off the shelves.

My husband kids don't seem to have much interest in my books as a set, his daughter only likes the pages with her and her kids on them.

My youngest son has no interest in them and he is 40. If he isn't interested by now, he isn't going to get interested.

My oldest son is 42 and every time he comes over he pulls a book off the shelves and reads every word. He has told me many times - he want the books. That makes my heart happy.

Since the books are digital, I can put in anyone's name in my Photo Gallery search and all the pages with them comes up! I can easily made books for anyone for gifts. I put in my oldest granddaughter's name and have enough layouts for 2 books of 100 pages each, just need to print them. Have enough for the middle granddaughter but need more pages for a book for youngest. That way they can have books without all our travel stuff or friends and other people - just what my husband's daughter wants.

When I didn't know what to give one of my girlfriends for Christmas one year, I typed in "Key West 2012" into Photo Gallery Search and every page of the trip she and my husband and I took to Key West came up. Downloaded them to Shutterfly in a specially designed book for her and sent her a gift she loves and keep on her coffee table of our entire trip.

I actually got rid of all my old scrapbooks and put my favorite pages in about 10 books which are in a bookcase in my guest house. (Its only one small room, but its separate.)

I'm also doing a paper/trimmer cookbook which will also be scanned and printed in a book to give to family members who are close to me. Mom will get the paper-trimmer book.

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake
In response to Henri Jean

It's a hobby for me . . . and I scrapbook for me. My cards I tend to make with the receiver in mind but it's still very much my style and what I want to make.

The bonus is that everyone else can look thru them and relive the memories. I don't worry about them not knowing how much work I put into them because it's not really "work" to me. It's the creative side of me . . . which only seems to come out when I scrapbook.

I try not to worry about what will happen to all the albums. This is part of my life, but time has a way of moving on. It's the same for anyone who does any craft. Hopefully someone in my life, whether now or later, will keep them and appreciate them.

But I make them cause it's my happy place. I have been crafting something all my life, but playing with paper and photos is my true love.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Vivian Lake

Love to hear your stories.
Henri, your albums have so much history in them. You really help me see the value in digital scrapbooking.

I use to become very anxious thinking about what will happen to my scrapbooks.
But I realize I have no control over that.

SusanneG
Idol
SusanneG
In response to bonprof

Great stories! I make my scrapbooks mostly for me, I have fun doing them, it is my main hobby.
My husband loves them and he loves what I do. My kids are different, my dd was scrapbooking too for years. She was a professional photographer and loved everything about photos, but she got burn out, because she had such a crazy boss and she stopped everything that has to do with photos. So she stopped scrapbooking too and I had the feeling she was bored with what I did. She still is not taking very many photos, but she now is happy that I made some scrapbook pages for an album beginning with her engagement up to her wedding in November. She is even scrapbooking with me every year on NSD I know she will love the scrapbooks I made of her one day and she can take whatever else she wants.
My oldest son is not interested in photos at all. He has his albums in our appartement, but I don't think he will take them one day, maybe just as a memory of mom when she is gone.
My youngest son loved his scrapbooks before he broke up with his parents and sister. He was the one who loved to look through his baby books and he broke them, because he had them out all time. So it were his baby photos I scrapbooked first, glad I did, because it is so difficult to scrapbook his photos now. I have finished his birth until 6 or so and then lots of pictures in between until he left with 25.
I also make a book for my two cute little granddaughters, that I don't know. I have some photos from the older one, when we were still allowed to see her and I want to tell them how much we love them. And I take the rare photos from facebook and from other relatives they are visiting to tell them that we care. I hope they get a chance to see them when they are grown up.
Other people over here just think I am crazy , but that's okay, scrapbooking makes me happy!

Veteran
  • 0612 on 07-21-17 08:35 AM
In response to SusanneG

I scrapbook because I enjoy it, the Baby Books and Wedding books I have given as gifts, I really do think they like them, and appreciate them. One friend that I made 3 baby books for her, she had three little girls in less then 3 years. Her husband put their books into his gun safe. Another one that I made a wedding book for went out and bought a special box to put it in. One of my daughters that I made her wedding book, her husband showed it to his friend and stated it look like a professional done it. And my other son-in-law the baby book I did 14 years ago for their first son, some of the pictures are coming loose, but he does not want me to fix, because that is part of the charm. So over all I do think the like them.

Edited by 0612 on 07-21-17 09:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR
In response to 0612

I use to think I was scrapbooking for the kids and thinking how much they'd love and treasure the albums when I'm gone. But, I've come to realize that I really scrap for my own self. I love the idea of preserving memories...not just photos...but the memory seems so much more vivid to me when I look at the scrapbooks. I honestly don't know if the kids will even want the albums...or have room for them, but that's ok because I do it just because I love doing it.

nanof8 
Veteran
In response to RhondaR

The first album/s I did were of my son from birth to 20 and gave to him for his 20th birthday he didn't have any idea I was doing them and when he opened he nearly cried. He has traveled a lot and I have done albums for him. My daughters dont seem so appreciative.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
I appreciate everything everyone is sharing. I do it for myself. It is such therapy and joy at the same time. My partner Kerry really appreciates my art. She has come to learn what several of the techniques are and takes pleasure pointing them out. When we were looking at this house initially, she said she knew immediately which room the scraproom would be. That means a lot.

I think you have the total package when you are talking about your precious Kerry I know there are some partners who never understand & do not care about your happiness like she does. you are very very lucky to have her

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
When I was 19 (that's almost 50 years ago!) Bill and I were engaged. I started two scrapbooks when we were dating - one of mementos and ticket stubs and stuff taped in and one of pictures put in with picture corners.

After we broke up when we were 21, I quit scrapbooking. I married, had kids but never felt like scrapbooking again.

Thirty eight years after we broke up, we got back together and I started scrapbooking again. I scrapped our story then and now.

Seven or 8 years ago his sister found the old scrapbook I had done with the pictures. (Memorabilia one is gone forever I think). The pictures were mildewed, some were wet, and all were faded terribly! I paid a lot of money to have some of them restored, although none are perfect, I was able to scrap them in a book I call "Together Again" (I name all my scrapbooks and give them a chronological number.) Together again is part pages on our old stuff, then a big page that with clocks all over it that says "Thirty-Eight Years Later" then our dating stuff when we got back together in 2008.

My books are nearly all travel pages. They have a lot of journaling and read like a book. I journal or keep a journal every day when we travel and those notes and paragraphs are copy/pasted onto my scrapbook pages along with the pictures and memorabilia and mementos.

I also do historic research - a lot of it and put it on my pages.

I scrapbook for me because I enjoy it. I was doing paper/trimmer scrapbooking and after filling about 80 of the post binders with 40 pages each (approx.), I started with 3D and converted them all so I could put on the spines which counties they were.

After 26 books of 80-100 pages each, I got tired of that and went to digital. I am in love with digital.

Now instead of 4" or 5" books - they are about 1". I'm working on book 52 now. Its called "Welcome Aboard - Part 4".

I had all of my old books, almost 2,000 pages scanned and downloaded every page into Shutterfly and so those are in my choronological series of 51 printed books.

When a new book comes in the mail, my husband and I sit down and look at it together. When we have company and we talk about places and travel, my husband will grab the book with that country on the spine and is very proud to show them off.

We had company last week and she had just come back from Tonga for a 3 week vacation. When she was telling us about the country I told her we had been there and she asked if we had pictures. Bill grabbed the scrapbook with 10 or 12 pages of Tonga and she thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the things and pointed at everything that she, too saw!

I have a 8 1/2 x 11 binder that goes on the shelf with my scrapbooks. It starts with "A" and alphabetically lists everyone in my books - family and friends. It has a listing of each book they were in and what book number... Anderson, Shirley - Book 12 - visiting them in Texas and under "G" - Gibson, Jeanelle - book 31 - 85th birthday party.

When someone visits Bill hands them the index book which is called "Friiends and Family" (plastic filler sheets which I update constantly. He tells them to find their name and then he pulls the books they are in off the shelves.

My husband kids don't seem to have much interest in my books as a set, his daughter only likes the pages with her and her kids on them.

My youngest son has no interest in them and he is 40. If he isn't interested by now, he isn't going to get interested.

My oldest son is 42 and every time he comes over he pulls a book off the shelves and reads every word. He has told me many times - he want the books. That makes my heart happy.

Since the books are digital, I can put in anyone's name in my Photo Gallery search and all the pages with them comes up! I can easily made books for anyone for gifts. I put in my oldest granddaughter's name and have enough layouts for 2 books of 100 pages each, just need to print them. Have enough for the middle granddaughter but need more pages for a book for youngest. That way they can have books without all our travel stuff or friends and other people - just what my husband's daughter wants.

When I didn't know what to give one of my girlfriends for Christmas one year, I typed in "Key West 2012" into Photo Gallery Search and every page of the trip she and my husband and I took to Key West came up. Downloaded them to Shutterfly in a specially designed book for her and sent her a gift she loves and keep on her coffee table of our entire trip.

I actually got rid of all my old scrapbooks and put my favorite pages in about 10 books which are in a bookcase in my guest house. (Its only one small room, but its separate.)

I'm also doing a paper/trimmer cookbook which will also be scanned and printed in a book to give to family members who are close to me. Mom will get the paper-trimmer book.

I know about your story... I think you & Bill belong together you two are very lucky cause you ave an amazing life with your amazing Bill he has helped your son & many other things

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to anda11

Henri,
I also love your story!!
It's very romantic.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I forget that everyone know it already!

joshuaminh426
Veteran
joshuaminh426
In response to bonprof

I scrapbook for myself. I started because I had returned from a trip to New York and Washington DC, and I didn't know what to do with all my pictures. What started out as a way to showcase my photos has really turned into a relaxing and fun hobby. I know that friends and family have seen the books and love them.

As a guy, it stuns people to find out I scrapbook and often people don't know what to think, but once they get a chance to look through the books, they understand why I do it and they love them. A good friend of mine, a guy, saw my books on my shelf and said, "That's a lot of memories." He took the time to read my journaling on every layout he looked at, and he was blown away to find that he was featured in several layouts. He actually took photos of the layouts to show his wife. I'm not going to lie. I like to see people's reactions when they see themselves featured in a layout. I did a layout of a co-worker and his son. His wife saw the layout and cried, while my co-worker absolutely loved it.

So I guess I'm saying I scrapbook for myself but also for others.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to joshuaminh426

Joshuaminh - I agree with every word. I love to see family and friend's reactions when they see layouts with them in it.

I made an index in an 8 1/2 x 11 notebook binder - pages are in sheet protectors.

Everyone in my books is listed in alphabetical order. Then the book number (or description) and the event and year)

Anderson, Susan - Summertime Funtime (I name all my scrapbooks), visiting them in Texas 2014

Anderson, Susan - See the USA - Meeting them at Dave's BBQ in Amarillo 2015.

Anderson, Susan - Home Again - Christmas card, 2016

Then my husband loves to get the index out (which I reprint every few months to add new people and layouts). He says, "Find your name and tell me what books you are in."

They tell him the book name (or number, as I now number my books - I'm working on 52) and we watch them flip through to find their layouts.

I love that! So does my husband!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to bonprof

My mom & grandmas scrapbooked mom taught me when I was in grade school I quit for awhile...had my kids do theirs in the 80s someone at my work invited me to a CM party 1997 I was smitten again & never stopped my son has always loved my pages so did my dd.. she scrapped for a short time at the CM party

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

I think that it is so awesome that you daughter would scrapbook with you.

My oldest son loves my pages - youngest son, he doesn't get excited about them.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
I think that it is so awesome that you daughter would scrapbook with you.

My oldest son loves my pages - youngest son, he doesn't get excited about them.

we had great fun for a long time :)she was scrapping her pets, choir camp, friends....she quit scrapping when a guy broke up with her she also did a horse album later because her patients in the nursing home wanted to see them

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

That is so awesome Linda. Maybe she will start scrapbooking with you again!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

she has no interest any more she could change her mind someday hopefully my son goes to Fla at a friends to work...he has gone different amounts of time over the years he is trying to maybe live there right now & see how it goes
I emailed those WWII pages he has always been a history & WWII buff he said they were awesome

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

I bet he did enjoy them!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I am glad he did too I sure was thinking that those pages would not turn out the matching papers & stickers sure helped it go fast

txht2003
Veteran
txht2003
In response to bonprof

I scrapbook for me now. My children appreciate their pictures only, not per say the paper and embellishments. Over the years I developed a sense of guilt about the cost of scrapping. My thoughts were basically what is the point if the children don't notice the embellishments. After giving away many pieces of my scrap collection, I realized that I have to scrap for me. It is a stress reliever, and in the end I come away with a wonderful product. Now that my children have grown beyond those cute little first pics, I am beginning to focus on pics about my daily life.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to txht2003

Must share:
Just gave a scrapbook to my daughter's best friend after 5 years of working on it. It documents all 3 missionary trips she took : 2 trips to Haiti and 1 to India.
She is beside herself with joy!! I have to say this is one of the best experiences I've had.

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to bonprof

That's wonderful! She will treasure that gift always.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Thank you Gluemore girl.

ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim
In response to bonprof

I scrapbook for myself but I'm fortunate to have a couple of scrapbooking and cardmaking friends that enjoy my efforts (not as much as I enjoy theirs -- they're both very talented.)

My sister likes the layouts I do of her grandkids and my pet-loving friends like my dog layouts.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
Do you scrapbook just for you? Or do you give albums to children and grandchildren? Do you think they really appreciate them?
My children really love their books, but how can they really know how much work went into them?

I gave 4 away till this day. everybody that got one - wants another.

the ones that i make for me - are first of all for me.
And everybody loves it when I make a pile of free amazing cards for them to use in my family.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to txht2003

• txht2003 Said:
I scrapbook for me now. My children appreciate their pictures only, not per say the paper and embellishments. Over the years I developed a sense of guilt about the cost of scrapping. My thoughts were basically what is the point if the children don't notice the embellishments. After giving away many pieces of my scrap collection, I realized that I have to scrap for me. It is a stress reliever, and in the end I come away with a wonderful product. Now that my children have grown beyond those cute little first pics, I am beginning to focus on pics about my daily life.

If no one loved my scrapbooks I would still do it. it's MY hobby. it's supposed to satisfy ME.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to bonprof

I guess I scrapbook just for me. My mom hates it, my brother is indifferent, my other family just doesn't have time to look (and wonders why the heck I'm even doing it), and my friends are "meh." I'm not married and don't have kids, just my little Siamese furkid, so I don't scrap people too much. Just my "little girl." Makes me happy, so THERE to all the people in my life who don't like it!

But my cards are another story, family and friends (except my mom) always appreciate those.

Craftnangel
Guru
Craftnangel
In response to meezerpleaser

I also do it for my self. It makes me happy when I have competed pages. But my family loves to look at them.

Veteran
In response to Craftnangel

My family (kids, dh, mom, grandma etc) love looking through them. They especially love their own book and vacation books. DD is 15 and scrapped a little when she was probably 6 or 7. then I guess it became "uncool". She now has a boyfriend that she has known since they were in nursery together. She wanted to make an album for her, all about them, starting with the page that shows when they were 3 and standing side by side and the same shot now that they are 15. Her BF saw some pages I had done of the two of them and now he wants one. I was asked to do a small 8x8 album of a POW that was in my dh's group Rolling Thunder. It was presented to the POWs family at his funeral and I have heard so many people talking about how much they loved it. And I did it simple not real fancy because the military stuff just went better with simple layouts. I don't know anybody who does not enjoy looking through them. It also helps the kids remember vacations and occasions that they may not remember without pictures.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to jeniferdwn

I think my adult daughter probably enjoys mine as much as anyone. They include a lot about her life and the lives of her children. I will say that back before I turned my guest room into a craft room, I kept my scrapbooks in a shelving unit in that room with a sign on it encouraging guests to feel free to browse. I found that a lot of times someone would pull a book from the shelf and thumb through it. Those days have passed, however - no guest room, no guests!

pandagirl80
New Kid On the Block
pandagirl80
In response to dwelch

I scrap for me. I'm never having children so that was never a consideration for me. When I was married I used to enjoy showing my ex husband what I had made, and would sometimes make things sort of for him. While he was always happy to look at things he never really read the journaling, never went back to look at things again etc. It was very clear he was never going to appreciate it the same way I did, which was a little disappointing at first but I got over it pretty quickly. I view it as my hobby. Maybe a niece or nephew will enjoy flipping through books when I die, but I have no expectations they will live much beyond me.

I have given a mini book as a gift once, and I know the recipient loves and it he just mentioned to me recently that he still looks back at it now and again several years after receiving it. If I had another opportunity to make a gift for someone that I thought would appreciate it that much, I might. Its just so hard for me to make time for my own scrapping, I don't feel I'm in a position to start making books for others.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to pandagirl80

I started scrapbooking back in 2002 and since then I have DOZENS of albums.. 4 for our Christmases, several of our family vacations, a couple on our pets we've had over the years, several of celebrations such as birthdays and graduations.
I mostly scrap for myself. I love the hobby and being creative.
I have 3 daughters, and I've completed at least 3 or 4 albums for each girl.. I'm hoping they take them when they all settle down as I made these for them.
But what I love, is when they come home to visit and sit at the table looking through their books. That makes it all worth it.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Scrapkaty

Yes, it feels really good when family and friends look through the albums.

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake
In response to bonprof

I just went thru an album with my 11 year old son about his "younger" days. I told him some rather funny stories that I have not scrapped yet . . . like "National Buttcrack Day".

He was so embarrassed and laughed himself out of the chair at the same time.

He may not be going thru those albums all the time, but I do know he loves hearing those stories.

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to Vivian Lake

• Vivian Lake Said:
I just went thru an album with my 11 year old son about his "younger" days. I told him some rather funny stories that I have not scrapped yet . . . like "National Buttcrack Day".

He was so embarrassed and laughed himself out of the chair at the same time.

He may not be going thru those albums all the time, but I do know he loves hearing those stories.

I think these stories are the best part of scrapbooking. What a great story. You'll have to journal the part about him falling off the chair too!

ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim

Me! I appreciate 'em and that's good enough.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to ppilgrim

Bumping this up to get it above all the SPAM that is all over the boards.

Scraping4fun25
Governor
Scraping4fun25
In response to bonprof

My parents, sister and niece love looking at them....though I like going back through them to to see my previous projects and how my work has grown and changed.

kathylovestoscrap
Mayor
kathylovestoscrap
In response to Scraping4fun25

I scrapbook for me for many of the reasons already stated above. I love making them for others and when I do an album for someone they seem appreciative. I have been commissioned a couple of times to complete albums - two most memorable was a mother's day gift for my friend who went on a trip with her mother to Europe and I got to scrap all 80 pages. The second was for another friend who gave it to her grandmother who turned 80. I loved that as I got to work with vintage photos. I have a best friend who got me into scrapbooking and we have 9 children between us. We spend at least one week a year together scrapping. It used to be more but now the children are grown and the business of life takes over. I found this as a good descriptor of why we scrap and I think it says it all
scrapbook because people break into houses and steal flash drives with your whole 10 year relationship on them.
I scrapbook because computers crash.
I scrapbook because technology fails.
I scrapbook because flashdrives can get lost.
I scrapbook because life is precious.
I scrapbook because sometimes you lose an important person and a picture is all you have left to hold.
I scrapbook to remember.
I scrapbook to preserve stories that my brain doesnt think are important, when my heart knows they are.
I scrapbook so I can introduce my future children to someone they may never have gotten to meet, or cant remember, that loved them so deeply.
I scrapbook to help focus on the positive when the depression and PTSD start their lies again.
I scrapbook so that during the worst parts of my life i can look back on the best.
If no one takes them and appreciated them in the future well I have while I have been creating them.
Who knows, in the future these will become important historical documents that future generations will learn from.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to kathylovestoscrap

Very good point Kathy.

I do both digi and paper. I'm enjoying digi more right now, but will be working on my mother's cookbook which is paper/trimmer this year. I started it 2 years ago and put it aside. She's 89 years old - I need to finish it for her.

I worry about computer crashes and lost flash drives. Its a real concern.

I back up all pictures and documents every Friday night (although I forget once in a while). One external goes in our fireproof safe and the other external stays in my purse in case my house floods or burns down, I always have my whole computer with me.

But I really do love to look at both digi and paper! And I get in moods to do both.

Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 02-01-18 12:02 PM

I just got a box of photos from my great aunts things. My mom was helping me decipher people names. She said she wished she would have seen these years ago and doesn't know why people would take pictures and not share them. So now all her photos will be in books where people can see them.

RoseRose812
New Kid On the Block
RoseRose812
In response to Kel3

Me, myself and I haha ... I create for myself. I have created albums for others in the past but don't feel they were appreciated. Unless Someone has actually created one, just like any other hobby, you don't have any idea the time and money involved...Scrapbooking for me is therapy, it's a stress reliever. And it's productive. It's an expression of art... At the present time most of my albums and pages are of my kids (I have 2 girls under 6). But they won't get any of those albums until I'm dead lol 😂 and even then who knows if they'll want them.... It's my hobby. It doesn't matter to me if anybody appreciates it or not. As long as it makes me happy.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics