Username Post: What do you do with "mistakes"?        (Topic#1666921)
gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl

If I have an oops while scrapping, such as: dull blade causing a frayed edge to the photo matte, ink smudges, journaling, not enough letter stickers or other several kinds of mishaps... what do you do with it? Start over?
Make it work? Cover it up and go with it?

I'm a cover it up and go with it or make it work kinda girl. Undu is also my best friend. I sort of like the challenge of making it work. I have a BFF that says what I do causes her a lot of anxiety

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to gluemore girl

I try to fix it. If I can't I cover it up. And if that is not pleasing I tear it apart and try again. I was making my paper bag junk journal and wrongly cut a fold I shouldn't have and scotched taped it on the wrong side where it would be covered. If I am watercoloring and I get out of line I use water on my brush and go over area and blot till it fades. I have learned that Undu needs to be ready at hand and baby powder too (to keep glue from sticking where I don't want it to).

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 08-21-17 06:33 AM
In response to southgirl

Mistakes?

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to don1

No mistakes- only embellishment opportunities!!
I usually keep and fix the goof ups.
Usually I can find a way to make it work.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to ChansGram

I just work with it. I would say that 98% of my projects have goofs of some sort on them. Oh well.....life is too short and art is subjective, so no worries.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

It depends sometimesI can cover it up & others I take it apart & redo. I always put my alphabets crooked I ddo not stress about it

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to don1

• don1 Said:
Mistakes?

YOU always make me laugh DON

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl
In response to anda11

Love all the answers! Thanks for sharing! Don, LOL!

My kids and I would craft when they were little and if either of them said, "Oops! I made a mistake Mommy". I'd answer, "There are NO mistakes in crafts!"
I'm a pretty Type A person in several areas of my life but this is one area I choose to let myself go and not sweat it.

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake

• gluemore girl Said:
If I have an oops while scrapping, such as: dull blade causing a frayed edge to the photo matte, ink smudges, journaling, not enough letter stickers or other several kinds of mishaps... what do you do with it? Start over?
Make it work? Cover it up and go with it?

I'm a cover it up and go with it or make it work kinda girl. Undu is also my best friend. I sort of like the challenge of making it work. I have a BFF that says what I do causes her a lot of anxiety

Let's see here:

1. Frayed edge - fix it with sanding file edger thingie
2. Ink smudges - make a few more to make it look like it was on purpose
3. Journaling - cut out tiny pieces of paper with the correct words and place over the incorrect journaled word. My sister is fond of this look.
4. Not enough letters - mix and match from another set!!! My mom does this a lot

Unless I just don't like the direction of the project, I don't start over. I improvise!!!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Vivian Lake

I am the same as most everyone......make it work!!
I am fond of saying as other have said "no mistakes just creative opportunities!! "

ppilgrim
Guru
ppilgrim
In response to Sewflake

When I'm learning a new technique and I really (really) mess up, the results go in the trash bin. Once I'm a bit more confident with whatever product or technique I'm working with, "mistakes" become mini-challenges to be overcome by any creative means necessary.

Prime example: I had a layout with Stickles on it drying on my craft table a couple of weeks ago, when my dog grabbed it and took off downstairs with it. After I got the Stickles off the carpet, I set about trying to repair the layout. Some trimming and patching made it presentable enough to post in the gallery. Life happens -- roll with it. :-)

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to ppilgrim

Lol well at least you will have a cute memory of your dog and his/her like of stickles.

This is a post from "Anybody working on anything this weekend & week?" on here...."All I wanted to do is take the covers off the spiral bound notebook, cover some chip board, cut it to size, punch holes (I have a binder machine) and put the covers back on. But nooooo! The binder I have does not match the wholes in the note book. So....I hand punched each 24 (times 2) holes. Then because I used chip board it made the notebook too thick for the spirals. So I put zip ties thru each 24 holes. It works. Whew, an easy job made hard."

MarciLB
Queen
MarciLB
In response to southgirl

Squish them, rip the to shreds, into the trash , walk away to forget about it! I even cut up a stamp once! LOLOLOL!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to MarciLB

I agree with Trish: embellish!! Lol

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to MarciLB

• MarciLB Said:
Squish them, rip the to shreds, into the trash , walk away to forget about it! I even cut up a stamp once! LOLOLOL!

I have to admit to doing that too. ROFL

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl
In response to bonprof

Love the stories of mishaps! pilgrim, OMG with your dog and the stickles ! I am so lucky neither my dog or cat is too interested in my craft table!

Southgirl, You had me cracking up over that notebook! I think I'd have given up your project before I even started!

Marci, too funny!

Thanks for sharing all!

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora

I try to cover it up as best I can. I hate to make a card over again!! I also have a little sanding eraser I use to help if I get a stain. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but I LOVE it!!

MarciLB
Queen
MarciLB
In response to southgirl

• southgirl Said:
  • MarciLB Said:

I have to admit to doing that too. ROFL

Glad there are others in my "club"!!! LOLOLOL!

Debby Lewis
Expert
Debby Lewis
In response to MarciLB

Check out my gallery...hAppiness layout (last one posted so it's easy to find)...I used my mistakes and incorporated into my design. If you look...All the tags were mistakes I made but saved for a project. The biggy was the Tim Holtz flash cards. I ran them through the embossing machine, weaken the paper and eventually one split in half and the other one was almost there. I used it anyways. Some of the stamping wasn't what I wanted. I like a lot of you...make it work. I have only thrown away one layout in almost 15 years of scrapbooking. Check it out if you have time.

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl
In response to Debby Lewis

Just awesome Debby! Goes to show that no one else sees the mistakes. I think we can officially make "art" synonymous with "mistakes" in the dictionary of paper crafting!

southgirl
Expert
southgirl

I just wonder if mistakes is how mixed media got started?

Debby Lewis
Expert
Debby Lewis

Perfectly said.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 08-30-17 05:40 PM
In response to Debby Lewis

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." Several folks have said.

Patties passion
New Kid On the Block
Patties passion
In response to don1

I try to make it work or fix it. I rarely redo a lo. And if I'm having a problem, I walk away and come back to it with an idea on how I'm going to fix it. And I get more mistakes as I get older it seems. LOL

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 08-31-17 12:05 PM
In response to Patties passion

• Patties passion Said:
And I get more mistakes as I get older it seems. LOL

And it gets worse.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to don1

Lol I just keep replaying in my head the scene from "Julia" when the girl tries to cook a recipe from Julia Child and it goes wrong and she just sits on the floor and cries. I do feel her pain sometimes.

Craftnangel
Guru
Craftnangel
In response to southgirl

Freak out, try to figure out how to fix it or cover it up. Except when I'm journaling then its like REALLY!!! Oh boy. sometimes start over. LOL

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics