Username Post: Need crop help!        (Topic#1667145)
dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

Haven't been to a crop in probably 6 years or so. Plan on working just on cards while I'm there. What should I be sure to take with me?

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
Haven't been to a crop in probably 6 years or so. Plan on working just on cards while I'm there. What should I be sure to take with me?

I have never done a crop...for this very reason, I don't know what I would need. I need to have EVERYTHING readily available JIC!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Doreena

TO me, crops work best if you preplan your projects and make kits for each project with papers, ribbons, and everything else you need for each project.

I have a large holder for 12 x 12 papers and I put each kit in a manila file folder, even thought the papers are bigger than the folder, it doesn't bend because the holder is for 12 x 12.

I would do the same with cards. Also match inks or anything else you might need.

I always pre-punched things so I didn't have to carry heavy punches with me.

Have fun!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 09-18-17 03:42 PM
In response to Henri Jean

Like Henri said. And don't worry, that item you forgot ... somebody else will have it. Yes you will forget to bring something ... I think it's "Crop Rule 13".
I only go to crops held in craft stores, it's why I have so many tools.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to don1

Yep, this one is at a craft store! I figure that's my fail-safe. I've only gone to one crop and all I can remember is having to put everything back away once I got home and thinking it wasn't worth the effort. I was invited by some new friends though, and didn't want to turn them down.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to dwelch

I would stamp a bunch of images on a panel and just sit there and color them. I see from your gallery that you do a number of cards that you color... That way you have very few things you would need to take and it would be easy to mass finish the cards once you are home. Especially if you took a few papers to design just that panel you colored... like the dog and cat cards.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to Sewflake

I cannot preplan. I just wing it. I took to my last crop to make cards: Paper (patterned and solid), a trimmer, glue, a scoreboard, stamped images and watercolor pens, my Cuttlebug and any dies that I thought I might need. (like shapes and greeting card word dies). I also took some card making stencils.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 09-19-17 07:04 AM
In response to southgirl

Lots of adhesive!

New Kid On the Block
In response to vawm

Nice topic, i have similar ideas, its very informative for me!! it's hard for me to concentrate because of my hgh health difficulties. so thanks a lot for everything, it truly helps me.

Craftnangel
Guru
Craftnangel
In response to Achisfain

I just pick the pictures I want to scrapbook and then I pick the papers and embellishments I want to use along with the tools I normally use. Most places that crop have the tools and machines you can use. Also if you don't have it someone will most likely have it.

It's about having fun and meeting new people.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Craftnangel

Favorite adhesives, scissors, trimmer and sketches. My LSS's all closed down, but back in the day, that's all I really needed when at a store. Well....photos, too, but those aren't needed for cards. Have a blast!

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake
In response to Luvmyfam

I don't go to crops often, and when I do it's because I was invited. But I always plan my projects in advance for these things. The projects and it's items go into their own "folder".

Then I take my big caddy, paper trimmer and magnetic board. That's it. If you plan your projects, you will not take more or less than you need!

For me, an 8 hour day is about 4 - 5 planned layouts (I seriously don't pull that off normally). Once you figure that out, you should be good to go!!!!!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Luvmyfam

I'm the same Darla, I never have what I want with me.

I go to a monthly crop with a local group half an hour's drive away. I stopped attempting scrapbook pages because unless I planned to the Nth degree and practically finished the LO before the crop except sticking everything down (and even then!) I always got a better idea and needed something I hadn't brought.

Now I make cards. I keep a small adhesive kit and a concertina box of papers and card blanks that I don't unpack - I work from the same box when I'm card-making at home. I plan the cards to a certain extent (sketch, kit, challenge etc.) and I save my inspiration photos to my phone.

I used to belong to a card kit challenge club (I still do but to a lesser extent now) where 7 of us would produce 7 identical kits and mail them out to everybody, and we were only allowed to add plain card blanks and plain card-stock, colouring pens/inks and Stickles. It was a good challenge because although I still packed everything but the kitchen sink in tools, we weren't allowed to use anything but the kit in materials.

My essentials list includes:
- paper trimmer (yes, people do forget their trimmers!)
- adhesive kit
- scissors & ruler
- pencil case containing markers, pencil, eraser, pokey stick, creasing stick etc.
- a few favourite punches
- inks
- Cuttlebug, dies folders, favourite embossing folders, THE PLATES (can you tell what I've forgotten before? )
- my ribbon bag (see my Gallery - I made one for the crop and it works for me)
- card blanks and card-stock
- gems
- stamps & acrylic block

I don't bother bringing:
- envelopes, unless I'm making cards to fit odd sizes
- Stickles, because I used to pack the whole lot every time and then not use them as they take so long to dry

Does that help? Have a great time at the crop.

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl
In response to Craftnangel

• Craftnangel Said:
I just pick the pictures I want to scrapbook and then I pick the papers and embellishments I want to use along with the tools I normally use. Most places that crop have the tools and machines you can use. Also if you don't have it someone will most likely have it.

It's about having fun and meeting new people.

I do the same and wing it like Southgirl says. I honestly don't have the time to pre-plan and I don't stress about it. When I get to the crop realize I don't like what I picked out if I did pre-plan. At a 12 hour crop I can get 3 to 10 pages done and I don't worry about the number.
If you are making cards, you should have no problem.
Just have fun!

Edited by gluemore girl on 09-22-17 03:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to gluemore girl

ive only been to like 4 crops and havent been to one since what 2 years ago -- there apparently is no free crop in my area of Texas !!!4
Bring adhesive, and I really reccomend what many seem to be saying and that is ... PLAN!!!
Make your own kits with papers, stickers, cardstock, ribbon, stamps, anything you might need and make sure you have a few specific projects to work on and i just slide all that in a large zip lock bag that is 12x12 ! good luck and enjoy the crop with your new friends !!!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics