Username Post: What to diy gift for X Mas?        (Topic#1667307)
mindygail
Pro
mindygail

Hey everybody whos reading !!! I always give a special hand made gift (whih i make at least 6 of all the same item but with some color varitations)
Here is a list of things I have already made and given out:

ALtered bird houses
DIY angels
Magnets (2016)
Wood Crosses (recent)

I got the idea off of here ( the blog hop)
that I could maybe alter a paint brush idk yet though several people not into art that i am giving them to might question what it is exactly know what i mean ?
I REALLY apprecitate any and all ideas thanks for reading have a blessed day and stay crafty !!!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mindygail

• mindygail Said:
though several people not into art that i am giving them to might question what it is exactly know what i mean ?

Then I strongly suggest not giving one to those people, and perhaps making them a more practical gift instead of something purely decorative. My policy is not to make handmade gifts for people who have shown that they do not appreciate the time and creativity involved, because it's a waste of my time and it's not something they want or value (which is also important to consider in gift-giving).

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to aquabunny

I just found this on youtube. "poundland" is the dollar store. Instead of a scarecrow, do a snowman or Santa? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRMNHZKmnK8

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 10-12-17 12:39 PM
In response to southgirl

You could also deco small clipboards.

nanluza
Veteran
nanluza
In response to don1

If you are a sewer, look up MUG RUGS. They are mini quilts that are easy to make in a batch. I made them for my close girlfriends a few Christmases ago. I gave each friend two mug rugs and wrote a special note about how special they have been in my life and how we have shared cups of tea and conversation over the years. The mug rugs are meant as small placemats just the right size for a coffee mug.

mindygail
Pro
mindygail
In response to nanluza

Thanks guys !!! Great ideas so far !!! South girl I like your video about the ....wood boards but where ever would i buy them ?? what are they cutting boards?? they look cool !! Aqua Bunny -- i agree !!!

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to southgirl

• southgirl Said:
I just found this on youtube. "poundland" is the dollar store. Instead of a scarecrow, do a snowman or Santa? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRMNHZKmnK8

This is super cute! Thanks for the idea, I may have to do something like this also!

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Babylou

One thing I did for my Mother in Law was a calendar. I used chipboard pieces, and hung them 6 down. 6 months on one side, and 6 on the other. Decorated with scrapbook paper and goodies and used family pictures on each one also. She absolutely loved it and it still hangs in the house even though it is from a few years ago!

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to Babylou

I could never figure out what to give my husband's grandmother. Then one year, I just decided to make her a set of hand crafted blank note cards and from now on, that's pretty much what she'll end up getting. She enjoys them because she can use them. Actually, I should get working on those... and some more for another person who expressed interest in them too.

mindygail
Pro
mindygail
In response to KatieJo

That calendar idea is smart Babylou but not sure HOW to make it still need more details !!! But thank you also ive considered doing note or thank you cards just dont know if i want to do over 20 xmas cards diy plus december daily then more cards on top of that --- do yall do a Dec Daily (i love it so much )
great ideas thinking about doing coasters hey what will make them water resistant ?? mod podge or is it complicated and expensive to purchase a sealant ?? tia !!
mg

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to don1

• don1 Said:
You could also deco small clipboards.

I've done this with layers of wash tape then mod podged it. Every one came out different b/c we chose different layers of tape. Quick, practical and easy!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to mindygail

hi Mindy I thought that there was a tread like this in the past and I was right it has 20+ pages
thankfully I had it in my favorites

https://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/1385...

Edited by anda11 on 10-14-17 02:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

I made crafty gifts one year that were really well received. I found glass blocks - very retro like they used. They are easy to find, I still see them in building supply companies.

Bill got a drill bit for glass and drilled holes in them big enough to pass and string of white Christmas tree light into it with the plug hanging in.

I don't make pretty bows so I took them to Michaels to have bows made but if you can tie bows, put the ribbon on like you would put ribbon on a square package with a big bow on top.

Plus it in - stunning. My mother still uses her Christmas light block at Christmas - one of her favorite decorations.

I have a decorator wrought iron tree that is 4 /12 feet tall and you put candles all over it - real candles.

This year I may make some light up blocks and put them around under the tree - could be cute with the pretty bows! SInce we usually put our presents under that tree, I can put the lighted blocks among the real presents.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Henri Jean

you could make a set of greeting cards for someone you could put in certain types..get well.. thanks....birthdy....etc

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to anda11

Mayamay Made it has a youtube video on how to make a greeting card holder box.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics