Username Post: Projects question!!!        (Topic#1667309)
mindygail
Pro
mindygail

I noticed that when I scrap it is just to use up my photos that I like and to me that seems a tad ... BORING !!!!
I see these women (and men) on here doing big projects and I wonder how? i mean dont get me wrong --- i have a project -- my Grandparents on both sides ancestry albums!!! also December Daily and that is it i mean i have had my ancestry project on hold for like years and years --- i am on a tight budget-- which means it would take two or three purchases just to collect what i would need to begin-- then i have to ask my family for their precious photos and i would need to scan them and print them which means i HAVE TO BUY COLORED INK for my printer/ scanner/ fax / copier-- which the ink alone is about 100.00 i mean wow !!I could just get copies at walmart ? yeah this has turned into a VENT THREAD SORRY its just hard to manage all that --- how seriously how do you ladies and men come up with such cool book and layout ideas bc when i do my own ideas i occasionally get the mojo flowing and im like creating some great stuff that i am proud of but most of the time its typical stuff ive done a thousand times over ( yeah been scrapping since 2000. Ok if IF anyone out there has endured this lengthy thread..in a word.....BLESS YOUR HEART !!!! Please do leave a comment and some advice on any of the above !!!
thanks i guess im just bewildered yeah how do you do it ?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mindygail

I learned to digi scrap - found an easy program and for big project - like travel books (last one was about 500 pages) - easy to do digital. I don't want that many paper/trimmer pages.

I am working on a cookbook for my mom which is paper/trimmer but for big project, I am in love with digital! I've converted all my travel books to digi.

Now i'm enjoying digi with family stuff. If I ever do a ancestry project - it will be digi. Then everyone in the family can just order a copy in hardback - up to 110 pages!

Works for me.

The cookbook is being done by hand and scanned so everyone can order a copy. I wish I had started the coobook digi.

Right now I'm making digi books for all 3 granddaughters. Two are sisters and they are in both in so many pages.

Only have to do those pages once and use in both books - and my book is chronological so everything will just go in mine too - and I only have to do the pages once and I don't have the cost of supplies, although I do buy digi kits sometimes, although it isn't that necessary - so much free stuff out there.

Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 10-12-17 03:33 AM
In response to Henri Jean

I think for printing a lot of pictures you're better of getting them done at Wal-Mart. i actually started getting mine at CVS. It's more convenient for me. you can upload them to their website then just [pick them up there.
There is a category in the gallery for clean and simple maybe that will give you some ideas. I don't get fancy with my pages I like the photo to stand out.Feel free to pop in my gallery i don't have much in it.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Kel3

I had bad experiences with home photo printing back in the early 2000s and haven't yet tried again, even though I'm sure the inks and papers and printers are better now.

mindygail
Pro
mindygail
In response to aquabunny

Those are all great ideas -- THANK YOU!!! I really love the idea of digital sb but my laptop is kinda bad plus i dont have 100s to shell out for a graphic design software i could go back to Pic Monkey but they let me create anyting but they have to charge or it wont print i found out and theryre 7 day "free" trial costs money I found out the hard way !!
I usually get my pics at wal mart !!!
again--- thanks for the help , i think ill ask reapetedly for pics from my family then copy at walmart then sb !!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Kel3

there are different types of scrappers out there some only scrap their kids or family but lots are doing bigger projects I only scrap what I want to I had a printer and a seperate scanner... the refill ink was 50 bucks each so I didn't use it often. my scanner acted weird so my husband found a scanner/ printer/fax machine for 80 bucks at staples and the ink is so much cheaper plus you can replace each color refils cost 12/15 bucks It is an epson I am sure they still have them I am so grateful hubby bought it cause I love it I tried printing my photos years ago but it was a pain plus it cost more I get photos done

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

our money is tight here and you are correct about buying the stuff a little at a time we all have wishlists too or buy on sale.. you know what I suggest is do not think about how much you dads family heritage pages will be or the albums cause that can stress you .out I would just start with 1 page and then go from there.. I wouldn't suggest you buying it all together just do one page at a time it takes lots of us a long time to work on them I would just start one lo..

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to mindygail

I always get my photos done somewhere cheap. walmart for one place and I would not do them at home anymore

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to mindygail

• mindygail Said:
I noticed that when I scrap it is just to use up my photos that I like and to me that seems a tad ... BORING !!!!
I see these women (and men) on here doing big projects and I wonder how? i mean dont get me wrong --- i have a project -- my Grandparents on both sides ancestry albums!!! also December Daily and that is it i mean i have had my ancestry project on hold for like years and years --- i am on a tight budget-- which means it would take two or three purchases just to collect what i would need to begin-- then i have to ask my family for their precious photos and i would need to scan them and print them which means i HAVE TO BUY COLORED INK for my printer/ scanner/ fax / copier-- which the ink alone is about 100.00 i mean wow !!I could just get copies at walmart ? yeah this has turned into a VENT THREAD SORRY its just hard to manage all that --- how seriously how do you ladies and men come up with such cool book and layout ideas bc when i do my own ideas i occasionally get the mojo flowing and im like creating some great stuff that i am proud of but most of the time its typical stuff ive done a thousand times over ( yeah been scrapping since 2000. Ok if IF anyone out there has endured this lengthy thread..in a word.....BLESS YOUR HEART !!!! Please do leave a comment and some advice on any of the above !!!
thanks i guess im just bewildered yeah how do you do it ?

I answered this photo question in my heritage thread I always scrap my original photos so you do not need to copy any. If the photos are borrowed..I would scan them and save to my computer and only get reprints when there is a saleor you have money I use my original photos and memorabilia.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

do not feel bad bout waiting for years cause that is normmal for heritage

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

The digi program I use is My Memories. It is about $39.99. I can give you a coupon code if you want it for $10 off.

You can also try it free for a month, and I would think the coupon code would work if you wanted to buy it.

I still do some paper/trimmer, but have to force myself to do the paper trimmer because I'm in love with digital - and I print the books out when I'm ready. I print with Shutterfly, but one of my friends uses Clark company for better pricing. Or My Memories will print them.

If you pay to download digital papers, then you invest money, but there is so much free stuff out there that some people never buy papers and things.

nanluza
Veteran
nanluza
In response to mindygail

Another idea regarding the family heritage albums...you could always work on writing the text and memories and dates. That would just be a matter of typing in a word processing program or jotting everything down in a notebook. Break the project down into its task and look at the tasks you can do right now. Then, get then other tasks done a little at a time, here and then, when your budget allows.

nanluza
Veteran
nanluza
In response to nanluza

I often have to check myself when I start feeling stressed about all that pages and albums I have NOT gotten done. I remind myself that this is a pastime that I love and that I enjoy. Putting "have tos" on it makes it feel more like a chore and it sucks the fun out of it. So, yeah, I have to talk to myself every now and then, and remember that this is a hobby that fills me up and makes me happy.

mindygail
Pro
mindygail
In response to nanluza

That is right Nan!! I find myself reminding me to chill and have fun-- i have before taken a 3 month break from sb but i dont dare do it right before Christmas !!!! you all know what i mean. ill try and have fun!!! also -- if I decide to purchase some Christmas paper is there a good chance what i want willl be there in mid november or is it too risky ?? YOu know out of stock type problems ?
ok thanks everyone !!

mindygail
Pro
mindygail
In response to mindygail

anda--- do you always use original photos even if they are mostly that thick hard poloroid photo ??? Ive done that once hard to work with i think??

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to mindygail

• mindygail Said:
anda--- do you always use original photos even if they are mostly that thick hard poloroid photo ??? Ive done that once hard to work with i think??

yes I do use the polaroids and those cardboard photos too I usually use photo corners it is easy to make the large ones too I will post oone of the large cardboard ones below I always use photo corners for my heritage photos the photo corners are fairly cheap to buy but they are very easy to make in any color there are times that I might adhere the photo with tape runner cause sometimes the photo is cracked and it seems safer to me

Edited by anda11 on 10-14-17 12:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I always use photo corners on my heritage photos they are easy to make in colors that match your pages I do use poloroids and those thick cardboard photos too in my pages. there are times that I use tape runner cause the photo is cracked and it seemed safer to me
I just sent you a bunch of different places that show how to make photo corners in your pm

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

hey Mindy I posted a thread titled I just started my heritage challenge and you asked for help there and I did answer lots of stuff you asked about I wasn't sure if you remembered asking there but you did

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics