Username Post: Group Scrapbook Project        (Topic#1667327)
Scout
Scout 
New Kid On the Block
Scout
  • Scout on 10-17-17 06:40 AM

Hello! I've never scrapbooked, but I want to put together one for my husband from his family and friends for his 50th in early December.
I was thinking of sending out a physical page to everyone so they can customize and add content, then mail it back to me to assemble.
I've looked online and it seems like you can't see something up like this, where people can only see their page and not all of the content.
Had anyone tasked something like this?
I want to keep the page super simple or blank, so people can do as much orbasnlittle as they want.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Scout

I have done a few of these but I asked people to write on the enclosed sheet and send pictures then I put each page together. Not everyone like to make a page but will most likely relate a story and send a photo.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jaxxan

Maybe you could ask everyone what they would prefer, so that those who want to make their own page could, but others could write something and send pictures. Kind of the best of both worlds. :>) It sounds like a great project and gift!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to mrsdriver5

I think it is a fabulous idea I have seen gift albums like this I like the idea of thoughts by everyone about him you could put photos of the people on the corresponding page maybe leave it open cause some may write something very long and some may do short messages you could have everyone write what their favorite memory about him or something funny

Scout
Scout 
New Kid On the Block
Scout
  • Scout on 10-17-17 01:12 PM
In response to anda11

That is what I was thinking! Have them write a funny story or how they met...and include a photo or ticket or other fun items
I'm looking at abiut 50 people all over the country, so I want to keep it simple.
Anyone know what standard scrapbooking sizes are easy to ship but big enough for stories and photos?

Edited by Scout on 10-17-17 01:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Dawna.s Place
Mayor
Dawna.s Place
In response to Scout

Rather than do whole scrapbook pages (some might be rather intimidated by this approach) this might be a great chance to use a scrapbooking format we refer to a 'project life' style. Basically it is a photo page of various size photo pockets which has a mix of pictures and journaling cards that you can write on and cards that have fun or inspirational messages on them. Let me see if I can find a link to something helpful. brb...

Dawna.s Place
Mayor
Dawna.s Place
In response to Dawna.s Place

Goodness, lots of long....videos out there! The project life style has you documenting everyday life over a year, however, I'm suggesting that you simply use the style (photo's plus cards) to create a simple, yet easy album, without regard to time. Here's a short video that is just a flip through of a small album that is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_RFLD6WDgg

Here's is what you would need to do this without breaking the bank! Recommend using a small album 8x8 like this: https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ac-312078.html
And photo sleeves like this, note that you can find different styles of these protectors, I chose this one because its a smaller package of them: https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ac-312077.html
Then and a value pack of cards like this which will have printed fun cards and journaling cards to write your notes on: https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ac-98177.html

That is all you need to pull a great album together that everyone can very easily contribute to. Just an idea, good luck!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Dawna.s Place

I love the idea but the thing that makes me thing twice is that some will make really nice pages and you will be thrilled to include them, others may just scotch tape a few pictures on a page and that is it.

Like Judy says (Mrs. Driver) said, I'd ask.) If they want to, that is great, and if not, ask them to type or write out a story, one side of the paper only and send pictures and you can do their pages.

Its a pain to scrap something when someone has written on both sides!

If someone lives near you who is a scrapbooker and is included in the project, maybe you can have a crop day and work together on it.

Scout
Scout 
New Kid On the Block
Scout
  • Scout on 10-20-17 04:55 AM
In response to Henri Jean

Thank you all for your suggestions! I don't know any scrapbookers so I am going to go with the project life format and send out cards people can write on and as for.photoa for other items back. Hope this works! Thanks again! This is a bit overwealminh but exciting!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Scout

• Scout Said:
Thank you all for your suggestions! I don't know any scrapbookers so I am going to go with the project life format and send out cards people can write on and as for.photoa for other items back. Hope this works! Thanks again! This is a bit overwealminh but exciting!

you did the right thing by asking here It can be overwhelming but after you start receiving the items you will feel so much better It will be exciting too

Mrs.victro5
New Kid On the Block
Mrs.victro5
In response to Scout

I just did this for my husband last year and it was a HUGE hit! I set up a secret facebook group for the project and added people to it. For those relatives that weren't on facebook, I called them to tell them what I was doing. I explained to them that I was making dh a celebration book and wanted to include notes and pictures from his family and friends. The part that I did differently from your idea was that I had them either snail mail or e-mail me the letter and/or pictures, and I put them together in the book. I wanted confidentiality in the letters as well, so once I completed a page with pictures and a note from a certain person, I would take a picture of the page and send it to them so they could see their page.
You don't have to a be extremely familiar with scrapbooking to do this. If you decide to take the notes and pictures and glue them to colored paper before putting them into an album and leave it at that, it will still be great! Or let's say "Joe" sent a letter and a picture, and they enjoy fishing together...just put the letter and picture n a piece of paper printed with lures or something. I'm so excited for you doing this project, and so excited for your husband to receive it! My husband had to choke back tears when I gave him his book, it's one of his prized possessions. Good luck!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics