Username Post: I need a new printer        (Topic#1667543)
ppilgrim
Guru
ppilgrim

'Cause I'm about to pitch mine out the window. Seriously, somewhere on this computer I have a photo of me taking a sledgehammer to a Slice, so I'm quite capable of murdering a printer. I've got a crappy Samsung laser printer which has a fit anytime I try to print on anything but regular paper:

Labels? Forget that: it'll print 'em but the ink wipes off.

Presentation paper? Yeah, right. There's no "paper" setting that'll get the results I want.

Thin cardstock? Fat chance. Jams every time.

I've heard good things about Epsom printers, from folks who do a lot of print-&-cut and hybrid work. Can anyone provide any further advice?

Thanks.

Thanks.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 11-12-17 10:29 PM
In response to ppilgrim

Epson has the best color feature. They are not all that expensive. You may be able to get some credit for your old printer.

Dawna.s Place
Mayor
Dawna.s Place
In response to don1

Hi Peggy, If it helps, a good place to start is to compare features by machine based on what you want to be able to do. Here's a consumer site that has printer comparisons which seem well researched. I have a Brother and need to buy a new one too, mines getting dated. I loved it though, good value lots of functions too. Hope that's helpful, let me know what you decide on, I'd like to check it out also. Enjoy Dawna

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to Dawna.s Place

I made a list of what I wanted in a printer/scanner.

bottom loading (dust and cat hair gets in the top loading one)
control buttons not to be on the top...again cat issues
Highest DPI I can find for good photo quality
Check cost of ink cartridges.

The one I bought? A Brother and it has served me well.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to southgirl

I have a Canon MX922 which I hate! I've always had good luck with HPs, but when I needed one, HP didn't have one that fit all my requirements. Of course they do now. The Canon had good reviews, but...one thing I hate is that it only prints on completely smooth paper. I like to print the insides of my cards, but if the outside has ANY texture, it won't work. It goes inside the printer, then I have to hit Cancel and it spits it back out, so it's not getting jammed. It just won't print. I have to cut a piece of typing paper the size of the card, tape it to the outside, just so I can print on the inside. It prints on the outside fine because then the smooth inside faces the sensor. My HP printed on anything I tried.

It takes forever to decide to print. It sounds like it's being strangled, abused, and torn to pieces, then finally clunks and clanks and eventually decides enough time has gone by that it can print a page. It prints multiple pages fast after the first page, but if I print one page, then decide I want another copy, it has to go through the entire strangling, clanking, and clunking all over again. However, once it decides to print, it does an excellent job.

The scanner doesn't scan the complete glass plate, so shifting, then stitching all the pieces together, are required.

I can hardly wait for the printer to die so I can buy an HP!

ppilgrim
Guru
ppilgrim
In response to mrsdriver5

Sounds like that Canon is related to my Samsung: either that or they spent time in "juvie" together ;-)

I used to have this beautiful HP, which I loved, but it finally died of old age and I had to replace it. I did so on the cheap and, boy, do I regret that.

I like the advice about dust and cat hair too. For me, it's dust and dog hair, but the same issue.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm off on a quest to find something suitable and then I'll wait until after Christmas to make a purchase.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics