Username Post: Gilding wax        (Topic#1667545)
RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I'm having real problems searching on this site! I can't believe that nobody has ever typed "gilding wax" here before, but my advanced search is not bringing up any results, not even in the store. But anyway...

I bought myself some gorgeous gold gilding wax the weekend before last, and sat down to play last night. I made 5 gorgeous cards, and made a glorious mess! But now I can't get the stuff off my crafting mat or desk. Obviously it's wax, so water isn't going to work. There are no cleaning instructions on the jar, or the web-site, and the only thing I can find by Googling is to use coconut oil, and I haven't got any.

DH suggested trying my heat gun and some nasty-sounding solvent, but before I ruin my craft mat, I thought I'd ask here.

(And yes, I've learned to use it on some scrap paper next time rather than on my mat...!)

Thank you in advance.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to RedSquirrel UK

OK, just for your info, and the info of anyone else who comes to search here, I found the answer. I scraped off the worst from my craft mat with my finger-nail - it comes off a little like the silver coating on scratch cards. Nail polish remover got off the final bits.

Rosey is happy again.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Rosey, that is good to know. I have worked with the Gilding Wax before but I did use paper under my project. I used my fingers to spread it onto my project and that took some time to wear off. Doing dishes speeds the process!!

When you say craft mat, I am assuming you mean the one that nothing is suppose to stick to it?? I have found, like you did, that there is usually away to get most things off the mat....sometimes I just let the mat sit then come back and clean it off. Finger nails do the trick on getting lots of stuff off.... what I need to find out is how to get off the iridescent ink that spilled all over my acrylic ruler and cutting mat!! I did not find that spill until it made a royal mess!!! Maybe I need to try a little nail polish remover!!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 11-14-17 08:16 AM
In response to Sewflake

I think chemistry would not be good way to clean wax. I would use an iron and paper, like removing candle wax from a rug.
Of course, you could always use my method ... pay the piper and learn the lesson.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to don1

Haha Don! I was worried about using too much heat on my craft mat. Yeah, daft, I know - it's supposed to be heat resistant after all.

Yes Sewflake, the craft mat it the thing that nothing sticks to. Except gilding wax.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics