Welcome to THE UGLY GAMES (formally known as the Ugly Paper Challenge, we had a vote!)
The object of this challenge is to make your mind work. To think outside the box, and to use up papers (and an embellishment) from your stash that you thought you would never (EVER!) use (or, in the interest of this challenge, you picked up solely to torture someone with…which of course I’ve NEVER done!!), and receive a RAK at the end of the month if you A) receive the most votes at the end of the poll for your LO or B) receive the most votes at the end of the month for the papers you sent, or C) IF there are 10+ players, you fully participate and vote, then you get entered into a random.org poll for voting players. In other words, you fully participate, you vote, you get put in random.org, you receive a RAK.
**PLEASE if you don't think you will finish, please do not join this month. It will take everyone doing their part.**
1. Sign up by PMing me your name & address by the last day of the current month. Addresses go out on the first!
2. Mail two UGLY 12x12 pieces of paper (ONE of the papers can be shaped as long as it is CLOSE to 12 inches. Yes, including circles. (If you have questions about the size, send me a PM with a photo of the papers together if you'd like so I can see the size comparison.) and one UGLY embellishment BY THE 5TH to the address you received from me, and please post that you have sent.
3. Check in at least once a week. *Note: I'm not super strict on this, just try not to "disappear" for the whole month!*
--but please post you've sent and share a photo of what you received!
4. When you receive your uglies please share! Please!
5. Turn those uglies into something not so ugly!
6. Post your completed LO to this thread by the end of the month (sb.com time)! (Mostly, as long as you are posted before I get up the morning of the first. If you are willing to stay up until 3am just to finish your LO then I'm going to allow it...because, 3am!!)
7. Vote on LOs AND uglies! (See details below)
8. The LO with the highest votes after the poll will receive a RAK from me!
9. The sender with the highest votes after the poll for ugliest combination will also receive a RAK from me!
10. If there were 10+ players (not including me) then the voting players will get put into random.org for a 3rd RAK.
1) To sign up, Please PM me your name, screenname and mailing address BY THE LAST DAY OF THE CURRENT MONTH and you will be entered. I will send out addresses on THE FIRST OF THE MONTH. (You MIGHT have a chance to send a request “late,” I live in California, and am therefore on Pacific Time, so if you get your address sent before I wander out to the computer the morning of the 1st, you MIGHT make it, but I make no guarantees for anything after the last day of the month!). If you have not signed up by the last day of the month you must WAIT until the following month. NO exceptions! (Except for the exception if you get your address/request to me before I get to the computer on the first of the month! This is because it is too hard to change everything after addresses have gone out!) Although, it’s been known to happen that two people will be “late,” then address exchange is easy, but in that case, it will be up to you and whomever else was “late” to exchange addresses with each other.
2) You then mail two UGLY 12x12 pieces of paper and one ugly embellishment BY THE FIFTH to the address given to you by me. Also, please make a comment here to the thread when you mail your papers out, just to keep everyone informed. Sometimes the mail goes the back-road to places! For example, I've sent to Texas before, but the papers took a detour through Ohio first! **No, I won’t be harsh about this date, sometimes weekends/holidays inconveniently take some of the days, something happens in life, the weather refuses to cooperate, etc. and it just wasn’t possible to get things out by the fifth of the month. What is important is that they get sent as early as possible so there is time for the recipient to “deal” with them, and so it is known if there is a need to do an angel send.**
I've sent papers out as an angel send because the original sender was so late in sending I thought something had happened, even though I had been informed the papers "would be" going out on a certain date, only to have the original sender's show up. There is a difference between sending (up to) a few days late, and sending so late that the month is over half over before they are received (and this was a domestic, within the U.S., send) . I don't know who else to put this, but it's important to be reliable.
3) Make your layout then post here BY NOVEMBER 30th!
- Must use all or part of the two 12x12 papers supplied to you, the embellishment is optional, it is the *twist* for this challenge. Using the embellishment gets you 2 extra votes on your LO.
- Must be able to see both pieces of paper on the layout, if they aren’t immediately obvious, please point them out, but they will still have to be able to be recognized. I emphasize this because of the influx of mixed media products in the scrapbooking world. It is too easy to “lose” the papers behind some paste, ink, and paint! Yes, sometimes the results aren’t as expected, I have had inking attempts come out far darker than I anticipated. This is just a reminder to be careful!
- Must allow public embedding.
- No digital layouts due to the papers being used.
- Layouts must be uploaded here by 12/31 at midnight (or, you know, 3am) to qualify for the votes.
- One layout per person please.
- Must take a before picture of the papers and post on the thread.
4) Then we vote! If ten entries or less everyone will go in the poll, if 10+ entries you will pm me the top 3 (don't vote for yourself, you get a vote for pming me.) You will also get 2 extra votes towards the poll if you used the embellishment sent to you (so when you pm me let me know/remind me if you used your embellie). The winner of the poll will receive a RAK from me. However, keep in mind that you need to have sent papers, received papers, AND completed/posted your LO by the end of the month (sb.com time) to be eligible. Yes, all three. Even if you are participating this month using last month’s papers and you sent papers again this month, you aren’t eligible for the RAK. Why? Because in essence, you just had twice as long to figure out what to do with your papers. You will still be placed into the poll, but you won’t be eligible for the RAK. I MAY make exceptions depending on circumstances, but that will be at my discretion.
5) There will also be voting on who received the worst combination! As with the LO voting, if ten entries or less everyone will go in the poll, if more than ten entries you will pm me the top 3 (don't vote for yourself, you get a vote for pming me). The winner of this poll, as in the person who SENT the papers, will also receive a small RAK…just for being especially creative in finding a horrific beautiful combination! However, keep in mind that you need to have sent papers, AND completed/posted your LO by the end of the month (sb.com time) to be eligible.
NEW STUFF (“Rules” sounded too harsh, and this is supposed to be fun!!!):
-Don’t forget to check in to let us know you didn’t get glued to your table! (If you are on vacation just let me know ahead of time)
-If you do not check in (or, you know, don't disappear) and/or post your layout you will NOT be allowed in the following month with new papers. You may participate again with the papers that you have and you may be required to send new papers out (unless of course you have had an emergency or let us know you will be out of town).
-Starting November 2015, when voting, send me your TOP 3, please! (For both LOs and papers)
-Please post your uglies after you receive them, that way even if you don’t get your LO done the sender will still be in the voting! Unless your sender is willing to wait to have their uglies in the following month! (This isn’t important if you received from me because I’m not in the voting anyhow!!)
-NEW! Starting February 2017: ONE of the papers can be shaped as long as it is CLOSE to 12 inches. Yes, including circles. If you have questions about the size, send me a PM with a photo of the papers together if you'd like so I can see the size comparison.
-If you are a brand new player please go ahead and sign up now.
-Easiest way to mail these is to put them between cardboard and tape the edges or you could put them in a tube and mail them that way.
-When/if you send double sided paper you can put an "X" or scribbles or writing on the side you DON'T want the recipient to use. Or, put a sticky note indicating which side to use! Just make sure you don't use something to mark with that is going to bleed through to the side you intended to be used!!