Username Post: Happy Thanksgiving        (Topic#1667567)
don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 11-23-17 01:19 PM

... and don't forget to set your scales back 10 lbs.

We are having our 1st quiet Thanksgiving at home this year.  We are having dinner at Shari's Restaurant.

I have so much to be thankful for.  The 2 at the top are for my wife, Berla, and our health.  I also have to say, I'm thankful for all of my cyber friends.

Edited by don1 on 11-23-17 06:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

suebird
Expert
suebird
In response to don1

Thanks for the laugh and good wishes Don. Hope you and Berla had a great day.

mrsmiller
Queen
mrsmiller
In response to don1

Happy Turkey day to you as well!

Even though this past year has been full of extreme highs, it's also been unfortunately full of extreme lows including losing our matriarch in a very surprising and jarring manner, I'm trying to remember that there are still plenty of things to be thankful for.

Along with you, I have met many cyber friends that I couldn't imagine not having in my life. Some days i come here and someone just says the right thing. Today, it's you Don. Thank you for reminding me that there are always reasons to be thankful.

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to mrsmiller

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to gluemore girl

There is something good about eating out on Thanksgiving. No cleaning up before and after and no cooking and you get to go home after an hour or so.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to southgirl

Downside - no leftovers. Leftovers are better than they were on Thanksgiving!

I didn't cook this year and boy, am I missing leftover turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, Coca Cola bing cherry gelatin, peas with bacon, stuffing casserole and all the other good stuff. It was like going through withdrawals today without leftovers. No leftover deviled eggs. No leftover cheesecake or pecan pie.

We did have dinner with friends at their house the night before, had chicken and green beans which was good and I took corn soufflé. Made an extra one so I could at least have that for leftovers since I wasn't cooking.

Would give about anything right now for a turkey sandwich and a deviled egg with some sweet potato casserole on the side!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 11-24-17 05:51 PM
In response to Henri Jean

Yes Henri, but your scale and heart thank you.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to don1

This has been a bad year on my scales! Not enough cruising in think. I loose weight on cruises because we eat 3 meals a day. Big meals but still, 3 meals a day.

At home we graze all day. Both of us sit at our desk with constant food and munchies. By dinner time we are stuffed with junk food - some nights we just have a banana split for dinner.

My husband is not supposed to have green vegetables and I don't bother making them for just me so the only time I seem to eat vegetables is on cruise ships or when we eat out.

My mother said the worst thing about visiting us is that we have no meal schedules. At all. Breakfast could be at 8AM - it could be at noon. Dinner could be at 5PM or it could be at 9:00.

In fact, one night Bill decided to grill steaks at 11:00 pm and by the time he got the grill going and the steaks on it was 11:30! It was near midnight when we ate!

I wasn't always like that. I used to have 3 meals a day on the table and proper times, but when I married Bill almost 9 years ago, he had been single for so long that he was in the habit of eating meals when he wanted to and consuming junk food all day and I just fell in step with him. And the scales are showing it!

southgirl
Expert
southgirl

Left overs are the best. One Thanksgiving I came home from Mom's loaded down with chicken and dressing and as I stepped out of the...Plop!!!! All the yummy left overs fell on the driveway. To my shame I saved some of it. Ten second rule.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 11-25-17 09:19 AM
In response to southgirl

The 10 second (or so) rule has worked for me for ¾ of a century.

suebird
Expert
suebird
In response to don1

Henri, when my mom was in the hospital for 2 weeks/got home, my dad 'somehow' managed to end up on 'his' version of Bill's eating schedule. Not quite good for mom. Already pretty thin, she had quite a bit of fluid removed. She also wasn't always up to just cooking for one (herself).

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to suebird

I went to a scrapbook crop on night. Made a lasagna casserole - Bill's favorite - for him to heat up. I left thinking he would get a nice meal while I was gone.

Got home - asked if he ate dinner. He did. I asked him if the lasagna was good again tonight.

He said, "I didn't have that. I found a pound of bacon so I fried it up and ate it." He had nothing but a pound of bacon that night.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl

ROFL, a pound of bacon, just like a man.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to suebird

• suebird Said:
Thanks for the laugh and good wishes Don. Hope you and Berla had a great day.

THIS!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

It's been a fun-filled family & friends weekend for us, and it's still on progress. But I'm SO over cleaning and cooking. Tonight is take out and the dust bunnies can have their party.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics