Username Post: Am I too old?        (Topic#1667719)
New Kid On the Block

I am 59 years old. My children are old and out of the house and both live in different countries than I do so my my grandchildren also live far away. I see them but only rarely.

I don't have the tradition December Daily happenings to chronicle or photo. This is true of most of my life - just me and my husband.

Just wondering if there are any other 'empty nest' older scrapbookers out there?

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 12-09-17 09:03 AM
In response to pnwscrapper

NO YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD!
I started scrapping at 59, I am now 77. When I started I went to a local scrapbook store where the owner and employees helped me over the first few months. The best lesson was; There are no rules, it's your album".
Over the years scrapbooking expanded into card making, artist trading cards, and 3 dimensional paper crafting.

justLyn
Queen
justLyn
In response to pnwscrapper

I don't think age really has anything to do with it My mother is 93 years old and a widow, and has been an avid scrapbooker for about 15 years now, with no intention of quitting. She scraps everything from photos of her grandparents to her garden and birds in the yard. Thanks to social media and the internet, photos of those living far away are easy to get now. So if you like to scrapbook, don't let anything hold you back - go for it and enjoy!

Doreena
Queen
Doreena
In response to don1

Nope not too old!
I'm 42 and half an Empty Nester w/ no grand kids (yet, thank goodness)!
My 22 year old son moved out 2 months ago and my daughter is about to be 16... and HATES having her photo taken.

I have PLENTY of older photos to scrap and lots of pet photos and photos of my husband and I, cuz now that the kids are grown, we go on a lot more "Dates" and have a lot more "Adventures".
The way I see it, there is always something to scrap.
Maybe a Book all about you...for future generations to enjoy?!
If you enjoy it, keep at it!

Doreena
Queen
Doreena
In response to justLyn

• justLyn Said:
I don't think age really has anything to do with it My mother is 93 years old and a widow, and has been an avid scrapbooker for about 15 years now, with no intention of quitting. She scraps everything from photos of her grandparents to her garden and birds in the yard. Thanks to social media and the internet, photos of those living far away are easy to get now. So if you like to scrapbook, don't let anything hold you back - go for it and enjoy!

Yes.... THIS!

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to Doreena

I started scrapping when I was 40. I am 70 now. I think I will stop when either I get too blind to see or too shaky. Why worry about it. If you like it do it.

scrapperbee
Deity
scrapperbee
In response to southgirl

Oh my, 59 is young! Don't scrap as much now that I'm caught up, but traveling and my garden always keep me in pictures. Plus, I want to make an album of important keepsake items in our house so the daughters and their families can appreciate them when we're gone.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to scrapperbee

There are plenty empty nesters scrapping. I didn't have time to scrap when my kids were young, so I am enjoying it now and getting caught up.

I just listened to a podcast by The Scrap Gals where they interviewed Ali Edwards about her December Daily process. She explained that there are no hard rules, and she gives example of people creating a December Daily without the "usual" December activities. I highly recommend listening to that episode.

Dawna.s Place
Governor
Dawna.s Place
In response to Luvmyfam

Wow, I'm not sure why you think 59 is old, but in my book, you and your husband are quite young. I find it so much easier on myself not to focus on what I want, like my children nearby, or a close knit family and focus on the things that I do have AND appreciate! Like My husband, garden, cat, friends, neighbors, adventures, and yes I do get pictures to scrap off social media as much of my family is all over the country too. Your never to old to start scrapping. But, if your not sure where to start, look around the house, there are so many stories that need to be documented or they will be lost to time. I'm sure as you consider your life, the things you love, and what surrounds you, you'll find numerous things to scrap. We all scrap differently, but most of want to document our stories, big and small. That should give you lots to consider! There's a ton of out here scrapping, and loving every minute of it! Find your passion and have fun!

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to Dawna.s Place

Welcome to scrapbooking... never to old for anything! Try it, do it, and go for it. All the others above said it already. Do what brings you joy!

Edited by gluemore girl on 12-14-17 02:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Veteran
In response to gluemore girl

I LOVE scrapbooking! Probably started when I was in my 40's and I am 63 now. I think it keeps me young ESPECIALLY the scrapbooking weekends I go on with my girlfriend's!! Nothing like good company, good food and good laughs! And 1 of the best things about scrapbooking with girlfriend's no one EVER , NEVER, NOT EVER criticizes another's scrapbook pages. We are all supportive, appreciative and enjoy each other's creativity!! GO FOR IT! You have nothing to lose!! I have 2 children who live overseas and my first grandchild who also lives over seas. I've made a small scrapbook with pictures they posted on Google Hangouts!! My daughterinlaw LOVES that I scrapbook and keep the memories!!

I have a book I call "Donna's Book of Days"- in that scrapbook I put photos of places I've been, restaurants, sunsets and sunrises- anything and everything which is a memory I want to keep but definitely not enough to make an entire scrapbook on that topic so- it goes in my Book of Days :-) No rules to scrapbooking..as it has been said before: Do what makes YOU happy!!

Solitaire
Expert
Solitaire
In response to donna50robin

You're only 59? You're just a kid! I'm 80 and still going strong.

kathy101
Idol
kathy101
In response to Solitaire

My Grandmama is 91 and is still doing scrapbooking. So don't stop at 59. Keep going and have fun. Someday your grandchildren will look back and see all the memories that you put in a book for them.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 01-03-18 06:30 PM
In response to kathy101

Solitaire, is that your high school picture?

Solitaire
Expert
Solitaire
In response to don1

No way! That photo was taken in 2000. I was only 63 at the time.
It's in the genes -- I have oily skin and never use moisturizer.
My hair is just starting to turn gray -- Miss Clairol to the rescue!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 01-05-18 02:42 PM
In response to Solitaire

You're lucky, I've always looked like this.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to don1

Solitaire and southgirl - I'm just picking myself up off the floor...

pnwscrapper - another "no" from me, you're not too old to start. If you love your new hobby then go for it. There are plenty of things to chronicle other than children. There is one scrapper on here (can't remember the username, begins with D) who has the most beautiful albums of her garden. HenriJean records her travels. I made a church album. Pets, wildlife, Book Of Me (albums about yourself) - all are subjects you could choose that don't involve family.

Welcome to the addiction!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics