Username Post: Page Kits Process        (Topic#1673271)
gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl

I am going to a weekend crop soon and my friend is making page kits. I usually scrap on the fly but wanted to plan a bit this time so I watched one of the you tube videos she sent and I'm kinda hooked. The woman's process was close to my own but she took it further and I think I might actually become a planner.

Do you make page kits and what is your process?
Do you start with the photos or the paper?

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake
In response to gluemore girl

My sister makes kits based on paper and embellishments. I only make kits based on what I'm in the mood to scrap, but really I revolve it around the photo(s).

So, if I'm going to a weekened crop I pick my photos first and then make a kit and sketch based on that. Way too hard to pack everything. I used to go to crops and "scrap on the fly" and never liked those pages cause there was always something missing. So, yeah, planning and light packing are the way to go for me!

pandagirl80
New Kid On the Block
pandagirl80
In response to Vivian Lake

i've always loved the idea but it's never quite worked out for me. i think by most scrapper's standards i don't own a lot of embellishments, so i've always struggled with adding those to kits because if i lock say my black brads away in a kit, well then i am out of something significant i might need to use elswhere.

could i separate up my embellishments more, so i'm not chucking an entire package into a kit? sure, but that only works for some things. i also only think of embellishments at the end, so planning those out is pretty contrary to my 'normal' process.

i tend to grab a lot of papers to go together and keep my embellishments stored in a way it's easy to take them places. so i kind of recreate my scrap room on the go. it means i bring a lot more stuff than someone who is actually organized but allows me to scrap the same way no matter where i am.

in all honesty i think i just suck at planning pages. still love the idea of kits and wish i was better at making it work for me. i don't go to crops currently but if i do start up again, i'm going to have to seriously rethink how to approach packing!

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to pandagirl80

I'm a big fan of making page kits before taking things to scrap.

I even make my embellishments in advance and even do my Cricut letters and put them in an envelope.

I put my pictures, papers and things together the same as I would as if I were scrapping at home and just pack it up with everything that goes with the page.

Sometimes I even play with it and sketch out how I want it to go together and so when I get to the crop I just tweak it, move things around a bit more to make sure its what I want and glue it down.

Rarely do I take punches or anyone tools like that - and I took lots of black cardstock for mats. I do take my trimmer with me for mats and a few things.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Henri Jean

Wow, great tips! I've been going to this weekend crop for 15 years and have severely pared down what I bring, lol. I only have one rolling tote and a tools tote. I'm hoping to keep it that way but make it a bit more productive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8XgLLuNKYAht tps://www....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOIbauEtwZw&a mp;feature...

Panda, you don't suck at it... it's time consuming and requires us to realize how we are inspired. I am a photo-inspired scrapper so that's really my starting point.
Here are a couple of you tube videos that I've been looking at if you are interested.
Happy Scrapping!

Edited by gluemore girl on 01-02-18 04:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

I start with my photos and a sketch, and then go "shopping" in my stash.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Luvmyfam

I have made about a dozen or more page kits with papers, some embellishments, and I've started choosing sketches and cutting things out on my cameo. Going to a long weekend crop next week and curious to know how this works for me?
I started with my photos then chose papers from my stash.
I've packed a small suitcase (that sits on my rolling tote) with large paper scraps, wash tape, embellishments, and an assortment of punches. My small carry tote has tools, adhesives, etc. and I'll finish the rolling tote off with a box of cardstock, my craft keeper envies with theme dies, stickers, etc, and the page kits.
Whew!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• gluemore girl Said:
I am going to a weekend crop soon and my friend is making page kits. I usually scrap on the fly but wanted to plan a bit this time so I watched one of the you tube videos she sent and I'm kinda hooked. The woman's process was close to my own but she took it further and I think I might actually become a planner.

Do you make page kits and what is your process?
Do you start with the photos or the paper?

I made these for years before going cropping
I was in a local scrapbook club that was a charity I went cropping 1 or 2 times a week
I bought my beloved big crop in style when they came in it was not too long till I realized that it hurt my back very much cause I had a disc injury. then I saw someone using page kits I was in love I have used different things to make them... page protectors..crop in style psb pages which I loved I could fit a whole album in one which I did I would put small binders in with alphas or stickers the I saw someone use the half size one & I was smitten
I could still use my psb, I had just enough room when I downsized I started making page kits in those 12x 12 plastic boxes with handles which I love the best I would use that & then necessary tools I would pull the photos & paper & idea books to plan... then line them in those boxes I switche to a smaller bag pink you can always add stuff to your pages when you get home so you do not take everything like I used to

Veteran
In response to anda11

I have found this is the best way for me to get a lot done at a weekend crop. Here is my process.

1. Select photos and begin thinking about what size I want to print the photos. I love incorporating the 3x4, 2x3 and occasionally 5x7 sizes into my layout.
2. Shop my stash for papers. My only caution on this one is narrow it down to a few coordinating options. When I first started making page kits, I found this step difficult because I had so much paper to choose from. I 'wasn't sure' what I wanted, so I took way too much paper with me.
3. Next I pick out embellishments. I might take a few extras, but usually, I try to include only the ones I want.
4. I carry all of my cardstock to the weekend crops, so I do not include cardstock for Cricut letters and matting photos. If you do not want to carry all of your cardstock, you could easily do that as well.

I carry post it notes with me. If I find I need something I did not bring, etc., I just write it on the sticky note and put it on the outside of the envelope. That way I know what I need for the next round of scrapping.

My friends and I ordered some bags from a company that makes bags. They are similar to large ziplock bags, but they work better.

Hope this helps.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to GAKropper

A major fan of kits for crops here.
I love the whole process of scrapping from taking the pictures to the finished product.

I have a similar pattern for putting my kits together as GAKrooper although I take it a step further....

I will also pick out or draw a sketch of how I want to scrap the layout depending on the pictures as the starting point.... number, size, how many pages etc:

I choose the background papers then looking at the sketch I will choose the rest of the elements that will go on my page. Coordinating papers, mat papers, die cut elements I might use, what the title might be.... all the while making notes on my sketch drawing to use while at a crop.
If I might ink edges, tear, distress, use mixed media and so forth it is noted. Yes I spend a lot of time doing that (the week leading up to crop) but it in reality I get more done in the long run as these pages are thought out and ready to go!

Sometimes I think that is the part of the whole process I love the most and doing a kit it allows me to work my way thru to the finished design (or mostly) then when I ready to do the detail work it is all written out for me.
Of course there are always changes along the way and like GAKrooper I will make notes to pick up or add something when I get back home.

I take my inks and scrap papers to crop and a small stash of whole sheets of card stock for the just in case times. The rest is in the kit......not all the brads, just the ones I plan on using, not all the rhinestones, just the ones that will go on my page.

That might be a great scrap layout!! Take a picture of your kit then see what you use or don't use, what you had to add or change. Hmmmm think I will be doing that this week end at my crop!!

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Sewflake

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty much set and packed. Working on choosing sketches and will be doing cameo cutting this weekend. I'm going to consider any other tools I want to bring but am taking time off after I come back that will allow me to finish off any pages that I may want to use something I have at home.
Great tips!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

I too make kits like sewflake. That really helps. I do not cut my titles at home anymore so I take my Cricut Explore.. I go to crops that have 6' tables so it works out. I love punches and take at least a dozen.. I have a dedicated bag "Punches".. I have been gifted two of the Crop In Style P3 rolling totes, by my children, both after market as they are not sold anymore. They are the ones that telescope up and have shelves.(gosh I love them). I have one with plain cardstocks and the olther with patterened. I do not empty them when I get home as I go to a long crop every other 3 months.

So I'm the one you see and think "wow she brings so much".. haha.. It keeps my nervous system calmer.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Sunnydi

Come back gluemore girls and let us know how the crop went! We are always interested in the "after party" too!!

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Sewflake

You betcha Sewflake and lol Sunnydi on keeping the nervous system calm. I go with a group of ladies that if you raise your hand and ask if anyone has a pink flower... you get a huge assortment to pick from... we all come with a bit of stash over the years.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

• gluemore girl Said:
You betcha Sewflake and lol Sunnydi on keeping the nervous system calm. I go with a group of ladies that if you raise your hand and ask if anyone has a pink flower... you get a huge assortment to pick from... we all come with a bit of stash over the years.

Love crops like that!!

This week end I am hearing ladies saying how they have paired down what they use to bring to crops so I am not sure that assortment would happen but someone will have at least 1 or 2 or a machine to cut it on!!

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Sewflake

https://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?m=image& id=60590...

I am packed and ready! Got the small tools, adhesives, and small boxes of embellishments in the small carry tote on top;
The medium tote on top of the rolling cart is filled with washi tape and punches, the rolling tote houses a box of cardstock, page protectors, 12x12 Kraft keepers: letters and themes, cutting mat, a few favorite paper packs...; the elephant tote is housing my page kits and sketch notebook. Inside the elephant tote is the case I purchased for page kits and it's wonderful!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by gluemore girl on 01-14-18 05:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl

Wow, that went by fast! The weekend crop is over. I had a great time! The page kits really helped me decide what to do next instead of mulling over what pictures I needed, what papers go with it, etc. I got 10 pages with photos done and 10 more pages done without pictures b/c I did them in workshops. I wanted to do a flip flap workshop with a very sweet CTMH rep so I did that but it ate into about 2 1/2 hours of Saturday. We had 19 in our group this year and I think this was our 15th year or more.
I uploaded a few of my LO's in the gallery if you want to check them out. Have a great Monday!

ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim

I don't go to crops but I love making kits. I've got half a cupboard full of card-making kits and a couple of large scrap-booking kits on the go right now. I always thought the only way to build a kit was based on a colour scheme or seasonal theme. I had no idea you could use embellies as the basis for a kit.

Stand back, everyone, this is gonna get messy! :-)

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to ppilgrim

Pilgrim, you can use anything for inspiration. I've always been a photo inspired scrapper but think this will change it up for me. I'm going to try to start making page kits from my stash and go from there. Cross fingers!

treyaut
Expert
treyaut

I kit all of my product, unless I really like a collection I feel I will get the most use out of it as a collection. But usually I work from kits. When I get new product in, I store it my MFG as my homemade and club kits (purchased at a steal of course, no subscriptions- like SC, Scrapbook circle, Clique kits, etc.) get low, then I will go through my stash and put about 10 kits together. When I go to a crop all I have to do is just grab the kits, some essential tools and go. If I didn't kit, I would be all over the place at a crop and wouldn't be productive at all.

I start with my papers, because they inspire me more than my photos. Also I feel I will have a photo that will work with whatever I kit.

YouTube has a variety of homemade kit inspiration.

Edited by treyaut on 02-15-18 09:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to treyaut

I start with papers as well - and 2.5 gallon Hefty ziplock bags. I put somewhere in the neighborhood of six patterns and 2 solids into a set, then travel around my room looking at flowers, embellishments, journaling cards, punches, dies, laser cuts, mists and medium products, ribbons, sketches ...

Anything that I think I might want to use with that set of papers goes into the bag. THEN I go hunting for photographs.

The bag goes into the tote. I can usually get two pages done at an evening crop of four or five hours - but I'm a fussy detail scrapper, and I get mentally fatigued if I try to do more than that so I just acknowledge my limitations and have fun visiting with everyone ...

New Kid On the Block
In response to GentlewoodFarms

I have to base it around photos. I find a sketch or page that works with the number of photos I'm using. I print it out and put it in the page protector. I mostly scrap events and I do a lot of theme scrapping (soccer game, soccer paper) to make things easier. I don't have many embellishments so I don't add them to the kit.

I put together a basic page with cardstock and pattern paper. I use post it notes to make notes of what embellishments to use, titles, to cut, etc.. and do all the embellishing at home.

It has been several years since I've even attempted scrapping outside of my home, but that's what I have done in the past.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics