Username Post: board consolidation?        (Topic#1673283)
pandagirl80
New Kid On the Block
pandagirl80

has there ever been any talk of consolidating boards here? traffic here is spread out over 21 scrapping boards (22 if you count the 'closed swap' board), 2 NSBR boards, and finally all the individual state & country boards (58 total, sorry DC you don't get a sub-board). I see the appeal of some specialized boards, but also can't help but wonder if its time to consolidate a little.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to pandagirl80

hey Panda they probably wouldn't do it.. I personally love the different boards myself I run a monthy challenge here plus I am in other challenges myself some months I have 30 people I go back to my challenge boards many times a day to talk to all of them
there are thousands & thousands of challenge users monthly some only go to the challenge boards too It would be hard for me to find them in another board at the bottom
plus we have over a million projects in the gallery There is a huge amount of wonderful scrappers here
I know that has ro be the reason for the different boards
They really do listen to us when we want something else they change functions that help us that we suggest

pandagirl80
New Kid On the Block
pandagirl80
In response to anda11

hey linda, i was thinking more about the boards that get no traffic (like publishing). or consolidating similar boards- like general scrapbooking, scrap chat, beginners, tip & trips, products etc. those all to me seem like they would benefit from being smooshed together.

New Kid On the Block

I agree, there needs to be some streamlining. Years and years ago these boards were hopping and I assume that’s when all the separate boards were created. Now I think social media sites and taken a lot of the traffic away (and scrapping seems to be on the decline), so some of the boards are dead or near it.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur

• pandagirl80 Said:
hey linda, i was thinking more about the boards that get no traffic (like publishing). or consolidating similar boards- like general scrapbooking, scrap chat, beginners, tip & trips, products etc. those all to me seem like they would benefit from being smooshed together.

good idea - thanks for bringing this up.

suebird
Expert
suebird
In response to wilbur

I am with Anda. I pop into the various sections with some irregularity (due to work and all).

Not sure when it happened, but 'The Powers that Be' changed things up on the My Settings line. I still haven't gotten the hang of things....

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to suebird

It might be time to do this and it will allow other, seldom visited threads to get more traffic.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• pandagirl80 Said:

That makes sense hon some one just said that all the boards were very busy before & that is why they did it she was correct I remember that too I also think she is correct about FB
we do not get nearly as much traffic as we used to I also do not go to the other boards you mentioned like I used to lots ask about products in this thread cause of the amount of people here what you are suggesting might actually bring more people to the board like we used to

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

There has been a lot of debate here about posting digital layouts. There is a section for digital layouts, but almost all are posted on general. The boards give you the option of putting your digital in digital or general so why have both.

Seems to me the digital and general layouts galleries could be consolidated because most digital layouts are in the general layouts section. I used to strongly object to this and insisted on my digital layouts go in digital but every time it is addressed, scrapbook.com said it doesn't matter which you put digital in so why have the separate digital gallery? Consolidate them.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
There has been a lot of debate here about posting digital layouts. There is a section for digital layouts, but almost all are posted on general. The boards give you the option of putting your digital in digital or general so why have both.

Seems to me the digital and general layouts galleries could be consolidated because most digital layouts are in the general layouts section. I used to strongly object to this and insisted on my digital layouts go in digital but every time it is addressed, scrapbook.com said it doesn't matter which you put digital in so why have the separate digital gallery? .

For me it is faster to just look at digi layout in the separate board. I like it

Lutz
Lutz 
Veteran
Lutz
  • Lutz on 01-04-18 02:22 PM
In response to Sunnydi

I agree - too many forums.

I think it would be neat if they had a Facebook group. I'd join that.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Lutz

My old group went to Fb after it closed its message board. It's OK for keeping in touch, but rubbish for posting. Most people don't bother any more. It would be better if the stupid Fb Search facility ever worked, but as it doesn't, if there's an interesting thread you can never find it again. And now they've messed up Notifications as well, I can't find half the answers unless I Save a post, and you can't save everything.

It's nothing like as easy to use.

But I agree that this place could do with some consolidation.

andrea m
Governor
andrea m
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I agree I have a cardmaking chat group in the cardmaking section. I know a lot of members make cards but i dont think many go to that section. We rarely have new posts in the section and just a few of us are still in the group. It seems to be really slow here lately.

I also notice people asking the same question in several forums and then not finding their way back to even see answers.

I am in a few fb groups but they are not the same for sharing work at all. It is to easy to lose stuff and not be able to be part of a conversation.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Lutz

Hey lutz this site is in my Facebook feed

Scrapbook.com
Idol
Scrapbook.com
In response to anda11

Just want you all to know that we hear you and think this is a great idea.
It will happen, but we're not sure when. It may be rolled into a larger update down the road. No ETA yet for either consolidation or larger update, but we love the idea.
Thanks so much!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Scrapbook.com

Thank you for letting us know that we can look forward to a "new look" down the road. It will be quite a change for many but I have noticed there are many areas that just don't get much traffic.
Lots of threads that have not been active for a long time...

How many of us go back and look at the old threads??

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to Sewflake

I spend time in the organization section and general scrapping. I occasionally go into the product question and e-cutter sections. I don't do challenges often but given time, probably would.

angel1dot0
Expert
angel1dot0
In response to gluemore girl

It might be a good to keep the challenges boards separate. They are very active and might drown out everything else.

suebird
Expert
suebird
In response to angel1dot0

I go back. Depends on how my day is going.

ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim
In response to suebird

Panda Girl:

You're right on the money with that suggestion. The forums are so Balkanized here that they seem to discourage posting (maybe that was the plan ;-). I'm all for keeping the challenge and swap ones separate (and the Non-Scrapbook related) but there are plenty of other categories that should be incorporated into "General Scrapbooking."

Another thing that ticks me about this site is the separation of "Layouts" and "Digital Layouts" in the gallery. They're ALL layouts and there's no sensible reason for this kind of segregation.

angel1dot0
Expert
angel1dot0
In response to ppilgrim

I think the reason for separation between digital and non-digital layouts is because one requires physical material and the other one ones and zeroes.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to angel1dot0

I actually like the separation of digital and traditional - but I don't do digital at all, so the idea of looking at them doesn't really appeal to me.

I like to look at projects for technique and lifting ideas. If I DID digitals, I'd want to be able to look at THEM without having to filter through the traditional and vice-versa.

But I'm a purist. I like my chocolate and vanilla ice cream in separate bowls. No twists for me! LOL

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 01-28-18 06:52 PM
In response to GentlewoodFarms

I'm a purist too. I can never understand Hershey's with almonds. Almonds take up room that could be better filled with chocolate.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to don1

The problem is that now, digitals can go in digital or digital can go in the regular layouts. I would like having both if they were actually separated - one strictly for paper and one strictly for digital but they aren't.

I fought it for a long time and put my digis in with digis but every time it comes up on the boards, scrapbook.com says that a layout is a layout, to put digis in whichever section you prefer.

So I quit putting mine in digi and put them in general layouts.

Since it is optional whether you put digis in digi or general layouts, why have two sections? A good chunk of layouts in general are digi so I quit fighting it and put mine there too.

Two sections would be good if there were rules you had to put digi in digi, but since it doesn't matter, I don't see a need for both.

I do both paper and digi. When I need ideas for digi layouts, I often go to the general and get ideas from paper layouts and when I'm doing a paper layout, I find some great ideas in digi layouts that I can convert to paper, so in the long run, I guess it really doesn't matter.

Ideas for pages are ideas. Paper or digi can be converted to the other once you get the idea. I kind of like trying to figure out how to convert some of the ideas to use digi or paper.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I'm with Henri on getting ideas from both paper and digi LOs. I like when people put (Digi) in their title, but many don't do that. I'm pretty much a hybrid scrapper when I do paper LOs since I like to design on the computer and often print-out graphics that I then color and fussy-cut. I design and print many of my backgrounds. However, I like digi albums since they can easily be shared with family members.

If I'm looking for inspiration for a Christmas LO, I'm probably not going to look in both the regular category plus the digi category, so I end out missing some good ideas.

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR
In response to mrsdriver5

No separation between the digi layouts and traditional layouts is the reason I rarely come to the gallery anymore.
Not to take away from the hard work that goes into digital projects...they're beautiful. But, I would much prefer to look at only traditional pages when I go to the layout gallery as I'm a traditional scrapper.
It's frustrating trying to weed through an entire page of layouts to find the traditional ones. Thank goodness for the blue star as it helps me a lot.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to RhondaR

I have to be honest, when I'm looking for layouts, I can't tell the difference between the digi and paper/trimmer layouts on 99% of them. I get inspiration from both and I get ideas from both.

Some of my favorite ideas for paper layouts come from the digi section and the best ideas for digi come from paper layouts.

Most, I honestly can't tell the difference.

To me, inspiration is inspiration, regardless where it comes from. A lot of work goes into both and they are all layouts.

Just the method of getting to the end product is a little different, but so what?

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms

I don't see how separating them can affect gathering inspiration ... If you use both, having them separate can still allow for that, and it helps those who don't want to see them grouped as well.

One of the things that is frustrating with digi for ME is the product references. If I see a layout that looks - oh, cool - and I start looking for the product that they used to create a particular effect, it's really irritating when I discover that the effect is artificially done with a digital tool. I feel like I've been "baited and switched." So that's totally UNhelpful for me. It's not the inspiration - that part is cool - but the techniques and products are different.

And if the reason you want them grouped together is just "they're all layouts" or "they're all inspirational," then there's no reason that ungrouping them should affect that.

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR
In response to GentlewoodFarms

• GentlewoodFarms Said:
I don't see how separating them can affect gathering inspiration ... If you use both, having them separate can still allow for that, and it helps those who don't want to see them grouped as well.

One of the things that is frustrating with digi for ME is the product references. If I see a layout that looks - oh, cool - and I start looking for the product that they used to create a particular effect, it's really irritating when I discover that the effect is artificially done with a digital tool. I feel like I've been "baited and switched." So that's totally UNhelpful for me. It's not the inspiration - that part is cool - but the techniques and products are different.

And if the reason you want them grouped together is just "they're all layouts" or "they're all inspirational," then there's no reason that ungrouping them should affect that.

I agree
And, I can also discern the difference between the 2 types 99% of the time. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to actually "open" them to be able to see and that can be time consuming when 75% of those in the "layouts" section are digital. And, I'm not negating the hard work that goes into digital layouts nor the creative aspect. They are beautiful and I have to really examine a lot of them to see the tells. But, for somebody who only scraps traditionally I'd much rather have a gallery that is designated for only traditional. Obviously, just personal preference but I know I would visit the gallery a lot more often if that were the case.

Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 02-17-18 05:15 PM
In response to RhondaR

I would agree to have them separate. Then we can choose to look at both or just one.

Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 02-17-18 05:19 PM
In response to anda11

I think also two of the groups i belonged to years ago aren't active things like that could maybe be closed to keep new people drawn to the boards that are active.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics