Username Post: what happened to the color challenges?        (Topic#1673699)
ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim

When I first signed on to this site a few years ago, there were at least two color-themed challenges. I remember, in particular, one was a color-combo challenge and there was also a monochromatic one. Did they end because the hosts got tired of running them, or was the level of interest too low?

I'm asking because I'm thinking that a color-related challenge would be easy to apply to all kinds of projects. Would there be any interest in something like that, do you think?

Thanks.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to ppilgrim

I hosted the Monochromatic Challenge for a long LONG time. There was always a lot of interest in playing it, and if you want to, we can sure put it out there again. I thought about opening it up when I came back from hiatus, but I haven't actually gotten around to it. I do host the "Design Seeds" challenge which is a color palette combination challenge that's kind of fun but doesn't see a lot of play because - well, I don't know why, but it just doesn't.

I don't know what happened to the other color combo challenge....

Doreena
Queen
Doreena
In response to GentlewoodFarms

Pat,
Just my 2 cents.... though I actually do love the idea of the Design Seeds challenge, I lack the ability to actually create a layout using ALL the colors. I can usually get a few, but very rarely, if ever all the colors. I think the closest I ever got was the December 2017 Edition, but even then I was lacking.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Doreena

Yeah - it's a pretty tough challenge, but I do love trying to do it!

I think there is plenty of room for another color challenge if someone were to put it out there. I know that there was a two color combo one for a while.

Monochrome was always fun... maybe it's time to breathe some life back into it. Maybe for March... Let me think on it.

Scraping4fun25
Governor
Scraping4fun25

Just my 2 cents....I enjoy color challenges but find it limiting if a challenge dictates "you can only use these colors." I like the freedom to embellish as I see fit...even adding a oddball color here or there.

CSI does color challenges, and for those they want you to use their color scheme, but can add in other stuff in small amounts too...I think it's nice to be able to do that.

Scrapjunki
Diva
Scrapjunki
In response to Scraping4fun25

I used to love the colour challenge, as well as the flower challenge, which has also just disappeared! I'd be happy to join both again if someone was to host it. I think that if the requirements of the colour challenge could be like 60% or more of your overall layout, it shouldn't be a problem. Or combine 2 specific colours per month?

Doreena
Queen
Doreena
In response to ppilgrim

ALL great ideas!

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Doreena

I've been playing around with pic-monkey the past day or two, and I think there is an easy way to do what we want to do ...

Maybe we could do a single picture and do a four level color challenge with it ....

What I have in my head is a picture with a three color palette.

And then four challenge options attached to it.

1. Monochrome (pick one of the three)
2. Pair-a-chromes (pick two of the three)
3. Trifecta-chrome (three of three)
4. Rainbow Bonus - use a color or colors that are NOT listed in the palette and create your own color palette.

It has a little something for everybody, and it wouldn't be as hard as the Design Seeds five color palettes. It would be easy to host. And we could do a random draw for the winner who would pick the image for the next round of play.

For people who want "more play" they could do multiple monchromes and various two-color combos and even multiple bonuses.

Monochrome always allowed the addition of neutrals, and I'd think this one could do that too, of course.

What do you think?

Doreena
Queen
Doreena

• GentlewoodFarms Said:
I've been playing around with pic-monkey the past day or two, and I think there is an easy way to do what we want to do ...

Maybe we could do a single picture and do a four level color challenge with it ....

What I have in my head is a picture with a three color palette.

And then four challenge options attached to it.

1. Monochrome (pick one of the three)
2. Pair-a-chromes (pick two of the three)
3. Trifecta-chrome (three of three)
4. Rainbow Bonus - use a color or colors that are NOT listed in the palette and create your own color palette.

It has a little something for everybody, and it wouldn't be as hard as the Design Seeds five color palettes. It would be easy to host. And we could do a random draw for the winner who would pick the image for the next round of play.

For people who want "more play" they could do multiple monchromes and various two-color combos and even multiple bonuses.

Monochrome always allowed the addition of neutrals, and I'd think this one could do that too, of course.

What do you think?

I think....
YES!

and I love everything about the image you chose!

Saving to faves!

Edited by Doreena on 02-07-18 11:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim
In response to Doreena

Definitely a good idea to keep the palette to 3 colours, I think. There used to b a challenge that had two colours every month, which I enjoyed. Two I can manage ;-)

I was thinking of colour as a "hook" to hang a challenge on, like the one Marci hosted last year where she changed it up every month. One month, it would be a colour palette, the next could be a monochromatic challenge. I thought, to start off easily, it could be "Make ANY project you want using your favourite colour."

There's so much mixed media work on this site, as well as all kinds of decor, cards, ATCs, digital layouts, etc. Colour's the one thing we all have in common and it would be fun to get out of the various "silos" the gallery categories stick us in, and just share.

Anyway, that's why I floated the topic.

kathylovestoscrap
Mayor
kathylovestoscrap
In response to ppilgrim

Cool this is great! I like the prompt are we doing it this month? I really want to get into colour challenges and I'd be happy to host a different one Pat if you do this one. I think the more challenges we provide, the better the inspiration for each other. I also think we need to really promote with the people we interact with and in our descriptions so more people join.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to kathylovestoscrap

Haven't made it a prompt this month. At this point, we're just talking about ideas for it.

Doreena
Queen
Doreena

• GentlewoodFarms Said:
Haven't made it a prompt this month. At this point, we're just talking about ideas for it.

Oops, look at me totally jumping the gun!

t-towngirl
Mayor
t-towngirl
In response to Doreena

I used to like the color challenge that Amee hosted last year. Hers was neutrals (black, white, beige) and every month she added and changed two colors. It was an easy one. I really enjoyed that challenge.

No pressure Pat

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to t-towngirl

• t-towngirl Said:
I used to like the color challenge that Amee hosted last year. Hers was neutrals (black, white, beige) and every month she added and changed two colors. It was an easy one. I really enjoyed that challenge.

No pressure Pat

LOL, not feeling any at all. In this particular set up, there would BE a two color option... with you picking two of the three colors you see in the palette. It would give a LITTLE flexibility, but not a whole lot, and of course neutrals would definitely be part of the idea.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms

Here's another image idea ... I'm having a little fun playing and figuring out how to create these. As you can see, there is an almost unlimited potential for palettes. It just depends on the image you select....

So again - four options for the month (kind of like the monthly sketch challenge). Do whichever one or ones that you choose.

1. Monochrome ~ select one of the three color options
2. Doublechrome - use any two of the three color together on a single layout.
3. Trichrome - use all three of the colors on a single layout.
4. Create-a-chrome - use the image to inspire a color palette of your own choosing.

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda

That sounds like a fun way to work the challenge Pat and it would be very accommodating with lots of options!

kathylovestoscrap
Mayor
kathylovestoscrap
In response to Scrapanda

I agree. Love the idea.

Scrapjunki
Diva
Scrapjunki

Great idea!

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Scrapjunki

Ok. Well, we can play it in March, or if you want we can put it up for February. Let me see if I can find an accommodating February image.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms

How about this one for February -- we could do a Valentine's Day launch ... maybe ?? Or just go ahead and jump on into it , since we're kind of close to the front of the month ... give it a bit of a trial run?

Idea #3 By GentlewoodFarms

I know that Page Maps used to come out in the middle of the month and ran the 15th to the 15th. It was kind of a hassle to do it that way, but...

I'm happy either way. It's loaded and ready to go so if you all want to play in February, I'll set it up. If you want to wait until March, that's ok too.

Doreena
Queen
Doreena

• GentlewoodFarms Said:
How about this one for February -- we could do a Valentine's Day launch ... maybe ?? Or just go ahead and jump on into it , since we're kind of close to the front of the month ... give it a bit of a trial run?

Idea #3 By GentlewoodFarms

I know that Page Maps used to come out in the middle of the month and ran the 15th to the 15th. It was kind of a hassle to do it that way, but...

I'm happy either way. It's loaded and ready to go so if you all want to play in February, I'll set it up. If you want to wait until March, that's ok too.

How bout we make this an Unofficial Official challenge for those that want to play this month and then next month make it Official Official!
Well, that's my vote anyway!

Of course making it Official Official this month would work too... it's only the 8th.
But I'm not hosting so it's not up to me!

Edited by Doreena on 02-08-18 07:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

nvmagpie
Governor
nvmagpie
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
Pat,
Just my 2 cents.... though I actually do love the idea of the Design Seeds challenge, I lack the ability to actually create a layout using ALL the colors. I can usually get a few, but very rarely, if ever all the colors. I think the closest I ever got was the December 2017 Edition, but even then I was lacking.

That's my problem too. I came close the last month but missed one of the colors.

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda
In response to nvmagpie

Let's do it! Great colors!

kathylovestoscrap
Mayor
kathylovestoscrap
In response to Scrapanda

Absolutely lets go with it.

ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim
In response to kathylovestoscrap

Love it! Great colour choices -- lets go!

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to ppilgrim

Ok. Sounds like a unanimous vote. Let me set it up and we'll get it opened.

:-)

Thanks for all the input. I think we may have come up with something pretty great that should have a decent long term run.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms

Ok. It's up. Have some fun now. If it's not what you want, tell me how you want to change it, and I'll get it done.

:-)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics