Username Post: How do you label pictures?        (Topic#1673737)
Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 02-18-18 11:13 AM

I have always been good at labeling pictures as soon as i would get them printed. I always just put a name and date but I just got a picture from my family from the 1930s with just a first and last name and even with a name I can't figure out how he is related. so that makes me wonder how much info should be on the back of a picture. My aunt usually puts a location on her pictures which is helpful at times.

Edited by Kel3 on 02-18-18 11:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 02-18-18 01:57 PM
In response to Kel3

I don't have "a picture", I have several of an event or occasion. I write up a note of the occasion including, who, what, when, where, and why. I don't think the how is important, who cares what camera was used. I wouldn't know the difference between an f stop and a bus stop. I put each grouping in an envy with the notes.

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to don1

My MIL passed away last spring at the age of 97. We inherited all her photos and bless her heart, she wrote who was who on the backs of all of them. In some cases, she did write how they were related but not on all. I think if you are scrapping for future generations, it would be good to include this information along with any other personal information.
I think you can include this in a digital file as well.

Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 02-19-18 04:42 AM
In response to gluemore girl

That's how I feel when I do my books I do a lot of journaling for future generations.Most of my great aunts pictures that I inherited were labeled but some not.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 02-19-18 07:18 AM
In response to Kel3

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a picture without words has a thousand questions.

Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 02-19-18 01:22 PM
In response to don1

absolutely

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Kel3

I have a family/friends file on my computer, backed up on a couple of external drives, and I have all pertinent information. Most anything I find out about a person goes into the file. I check there if I'm wanting to do journaling on a LO, but it's also there so my kids and grandkids have all the info. available. They know where to find it. I also include addresses, likes/dislikes...anything. :>) On the back of actual photos I include the date of the photo, the names and the location. I've started doing it on small printer labels that I stick on the back of each photo. Quick and easy to do.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Kel3

hey hon I do different things I have these big storage boxes that are safe I also have file folders too I put things like dad before mom or dad at a different things I alsways try to mark the back in some way cardboard ones I use soft pencil I have lots of writing on the backs in pen so sometimes I do that too make sure it doesn't show through you can put it at the bottom so it doeas not show through

Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 02-20-18 12:17 PM
In response to anda11

I did that with my heritage book. I did a lot of journaling with dates, interests etc. It makes it easy to look up things instead of family tree papers. Sometimes I wonder if I over journal I think i'm going to start putting more of the info on the picture too. Especially when there is a name in the family that repeats. James seems to be popular in our family.

Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 02-20-18 12:19 PM
In response to anda11

I just bought an awesome pen from here for writing on the back of pictures. It dries quick and doesn't bleed through. now if I can just find some awesome glue. lol

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to Kel3

We have boxes and boxes of photos from my husband’s grandparents and no idea who most of the people in the pictures are. I do need to include more details in my journaling.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to lisymarie

That is so true Don! I have quoted that many times - I absolutely believe that!

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to don1

• don1 Said:
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a picture without words has a thousand questions.

Don - you need to put this in the Scrapbook dot com's quotations library. It's the best one I've heard in a while...

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to GentlewoodFarms

I'm writing that down! Brilliant!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to wilbur

I have all or most of all my grandparents pictures. My parents and I went through all my paternal grandmother pictures. She was good about putting names and sometimes dates and location on back of the pictures. If I didn't know who they were I'd ask my dad he was good about letting me know who in the pictures. I sometimes use label stickers to write the information and put it on back of the pictures. I'll probably be inherited my great-Aunt pictures since she doesn't have children she got most of the family pictures. My mother had told her to put names on the back of who the people are in the pictures. We also sort through all the pictures of my dad silbings and put them in a bag with their names on it. They will have their pictures ready for them when they want them. I'm in the middle of printing out pictures of my grandparents in their younger married life and making copies for each of my dad's three silbings to have. Since the original copies are single pictures. I decided to keep the original and print copies for them to have.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics