Username Post: Tim Holtz Inks not curing on Prima Clear Gesso Paper        (Topic#1673751)
RRBrannock
Expert
RRBrannock

Afternoon everybody!!!

So recently I decided to try gessoing my paper since it seems to be a technique that's really liked. I used Prima's Clear Gesso on Graphic 45 paper (I doubt the paper brand matters... but still) and let it dry overnight. Then I sprayed home made distress inks (made in Ranger's mini misters with distilled water and Tim Holtz's Inks). I used the Ranger heat tool to speed up the drying process and the inks never fully dried, especially where the ink pooled. Now in some spots it did but in some it just didn't. Is this typical? I mean I know gesso is used to keep the media workable but I've never had media just not cure. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Meggies Nana
Governor
Meggies Nana
In response to RRBrannock

Hi Rob, whenever I have used gesso it has been on canvas, but I have put paper down first & painted gesso over it & letting it dry. Not sure why it is not drying?? I have used TH inks by themselves over the gesso & never had a problem so I am wondering if it is the homemade mix? Still don't know why that wouldn't work!

I hope someone has an answer for you. Take care my friend!:)

RRBrannock
Expert
RRBrannock
In response to Meggies Nana

Thanks a bunch Marylou... it's just bizarre. I've never run into this sort of thing before. I was thinking maybe I added too much water to the mix and broke down the binding agent in the ink. But if that's the case it should still dry but flake off. I'm a little taken a back by this. Thanks again.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to RRBrannock

• RRBrannock Said:
Thanks a bunch Marylou... it's just bizarre. I've never run into this sort of thing before. I was thinking maybe I added too much water to the mix and broke down the binding agent in the ink. But if that's the case it should still dry but flake off. I'm a little taken a back by this. Thanks again.

Tim himself might have an answer for what happened and why. I've found him VERY approachable and helpful whenever I've had a question like this. You might send him a message and see what he says ...

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics