Username Post: Bitten By The Travel Bug is open        (Topic#1673871)
Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

Hi - we have plenty of room for more people to hang out on the Bitten By The Travel Bug forum.

We talk about travel, exchange travel ideas, and post any and all travel layouts.

Would love to chat with you and see your layouts! Its just WAY too quiet over there!

https://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/1561...

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Henri Jean

that sounds like a great idea hon we do not travel anymore but we did take lots of pics that I scrap sometimes

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

When you scrap travel layouts, bring them over and show us, or just chat and visit about travelling! Would love to see you anytime you pop in!

t-towngirl
Mayor
t-towngirl

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
When you scrap travel layouts, bring them over and show us, or just chat and visit about travelling! Would love to see you anytime you pop in!

Thanks hon that is very kind of you

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake
In response to anda11

I'll tag along

Princess Angi
Resident
Princess Angi
In response to Vivian Lake

I LOVE to travel! Wish I could do it more. I will go take a look.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to Princess Angi

Linda, you are such a sweetheart. You know you always have an open invitation!

Angi - already met you over there a few minutes ago.

Look forward to seeing you over there Vivian.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
Linda, you are such a sweetheart. You know you always have an open invitation!

Angi - already met you over there a few minutes ago.

Look forward to seeing you over there Vivian.

thank you again hon

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to anda11

I love to travel and do a much as I can. I was in NY for 3 weeks in Feb. I know somewhere warm would have been more appealing.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to scrap4brains

Hi - I used to see your all over the boards but haven't lately. I guess we've been hanging out on different threads!

Please post some of the NY layouts (or any others). I be the snow was beautiful!

Virginiareal
Veteran
Virginiareal

Just saw this forum. I absolutely LOVE to travel! Even though I travel quite a bit, I don't scrap my travel anymore. Sounds sad. I have all these albums in my studio that no one looks at or seems interested in looking through. That sounds sad too but it's really because younger people are more social media inclined and looking through a scrapbook album seems to be the last thing they want to do. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Edited by Virginiareal on 03-20-18 05:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to Virginiareal

Even though my scrapbooks aren't looked at a whole lot now, my husband and I frequently take one off the shelf and sometimes I get in a mood to go through them all and relive the memories. Even if no one else ever sees one, I do.

As we get older, especially when we reach the point where we cannot travel anymore, we will always be able to travel through my scrapbooks.

Because of all the space it was taking up, and all the time, I did start scrapping my trips digitally and have a book for each trip. I'm not working on book 57 which is an Alaska Cruise and when we got off the ship in Seattle, we flew to Hawaii.

I have one more travel book to do - which is a Caribbean cruise with Cuba about a month and half ago.

When we go somewhere we have been before, we always get our books out to see exactly what we did and how we got around.

We have friends going to Alaska this year and are enjoying my ALaska book form 2012 and other friends who just got back from Hawaii came over and went through all my albums with Hawaii trips.

But mostly, they aren't looked at, except by me. When I started looking at them, I can't stop!

And the day will come when the only way we will be able to travel is by looking at the books and reliving all our wonderful memories.

Virginiareal
Veteran
Virginiareal

Henri,

I totally agree about enjoying traveling now while we are able!

Only recently have I changed my mind about cruises....as I get older I see the benefits. We just got back from a one week cruise.

Our next trip is to fly to Lisbon, Portugal and travel for one week by car around Portugal. We will then take a train to Barcelona, Spain where we will catch a two week cruise going from Barcelona to Port Canaveral, FL. One stop will be in the Azores where my husband is from. He speaks Portuguese so it will be easy traveling.

I plan to take lots of "fussy cut" items with me to do during the cruise and some items to color with pencils while I enjoy relaxing. I'll be all set to make cards when I return.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

You will fall in love with Lisbon! We were there in 2016 and going back next month. Make sure you go to the big monastery in Belem outside of LIsbon. It literally takes my breath away - Galileo's tomb is in there. Also, there is a bakery - Pasteils de Belem or something like that. Probably the most famous bakery in the world. They are known for their little custard cakes which are from the recipe originally created and used at the monastery and it dream of those little cakes.

Barcelona is amazing - they have a great hop-on hop-off bus system which is well worth the month. Las Ramblas is something to see after dark - that is when the street mimes come out and they are among the best street mimes or street statues in the world. We've been to Las Ramblas after dark - several times over the years and it is interesting.

Everywhere you look you will see architectural designs by Gaudi and of course the big Cathedral was started by Gaudi but he died long before it was finished. In fact, it still isn't finished.

We live near Port Canaveral - when does your cruise come in? Will you be spending a little time in that area? Its an hour and a half or two hours from us.

My husband speaks fluent Spanish and he can understand Portuguese but doesn't speak it. But we get by in that part of the world - he can communicate but he doesn't speak Portuguese, odd that he understands it so well

When we were last in the Azores we were on a world cruise for 4 months and had a funny thing happen there. My husband collects license plates and takes a few on cruises with us. In ports he goes to DMVs all over the world to see if they will trade some local license plates for some he brought. Often, it works.

He went into the DMV in the Azores (Ponta Delgado) and walked in with his license plates. The woman at the desk too one look at him (without him saying a word) and told to follow her and took him to the director's office.

His name was Fernando and he looked at Bill and said, "I'm confused. How did you know I was a license plate collector?" Bill said, "I didn't, she just told me to follow her."

They talked for a few minutes and discovered they are both members of ALPCA - I think it stands for American License plate collectors Association.

We were there for 2 days. Fernando walked with Bill to the place where the plates were made (where they had told him an hour earlier they had to plates for sale) and Fernando told them to sell him some plates.

Then Fernando went back to work but invited us to his house that night to see his collection.

The next day, Fernando took off work and gave us a personal tour of the city. We had been there before but it was fun getting the tour from a local!

When Bill got home he sent Fernando a lot of really nice plates and will take him some when we go on this cruise next month.

Fernando told Bill that is one ALPCA member who lives in Lisbon - the two of them are the only Portuguese members of the club.

I would love to see more of Portugal - I fell in love with that country!

Taking fussy cut items to do on the cruise is a great idea!

Because of the ridiculous amount of traveling we do (some years its insane), I started digital for trips so I can scrap on planes or anywhere.

Virginiareal
Veteran
Virginiareal

Henri,

Thanks so much for the information! The little custard cakes and other breads are my weakness! My husband's mother makes it all. She has shown me how to make some of the breads. My husband does most of the cooking so I'm very familiar with the food. About the only thing I don't like is the salted cod. I prefer fresh cod. Other than that, it's all so good!
Virginia

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

Those little custard cakes are just phenomenal. Try to go to Belem to get one, and see the monetary while there!

I realize that not everyone loves old monasteries but this one is breathtaking. I love seeing the tombs of famous people so I it was really special to me.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so snow is not a novelty! I have not been on SB.com so much since I retired, I am too busy. So far I have only done one LO of New York. I’ve become a grandma and most of my pages are about them. Also, I’ve become more of a card maker.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to scrap4brains

Well, its good to see you. I have been a grandma for 6 years so I do a lot of granddaughter pages - such a change from all my travel layouts, but fun.

A lot of the scrapbookers I know have gone more and more in the direction of card making. The card making bug hasn't bitten me yet but some day, it probably will.

Virginiareal
Veteran
Virginiareal

I get the love of monasteries. I love to go to old cemeteries that have loads of statues. I do that for my love of photography. I enjoyed going into many temples in Thailand and in India as well as to churches in other places.

...I have been swayed more toward card making than LO.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

We visited a fabulous old monastery in Rhodes Greece. It was founded by the Knights of St. John and has the Maltese cross throughout. I loved seeing so many things that were built by the knights in that part of the world.

My most favorite church in the entire world, including St. Peter's in Vatican City, more than St. Marks in Venice or even the Cathedral in Seville, Spain (which is magnificent), my favorite is St. John's Co-Church in Malta. About 400 of the nights are buried there and the floor has over 400 marble slabs with all marble inlaid artwork for the knights. The most illustrious knights are near the front of the church. The church also has Maltese crosses everywhere you look!

One of the most interesting cemeteries is in Key West - I could roam around that one all day. The one I think is most beautiful is in Buenos Aires - La Recolet (my spelling is probably wrong) where Eva Perone or "Evita" is in her family tomb. and the spookiest is definitely Old Charles Cemetery or St. Charles Cemetery - I'm not really sure of the name but its the one in New Orleans where the crypt for Marie Laveau, the famous voodoo queen is.

I'm always happy to roam around in cemeteries. I guess next month we will see the big cemetery at Normandy. I know that will be moving.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics