Username Post: Ideas about scrapbook retreats        (Topic#1673925)
New Kid On the Block

I'm looking to open up a scrapbook retreat in my area. Just wanting some ideas and information from ladies that attend retreats regularly. What do you look for and what is important to you while you're staying there? What kind of prices are fair per night? Amenities? Thank you in advance!😄

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Pslm37forme

Plenty of table space!

Good lighting!

Plenty of places to plug things in - Cricuts, small light, computers, iPhone chargers etc. Some ladies bring small electric fans.

Convenient and clean bathrooms near the scrap area.

Plenty of room to walk around the room without people having to move to let them pass by.

If you do make-n-takes, you need to make it optional. I personally want to get my scrapping done, and very few make-n-takes are things I want.

Most of the ladies I scrap with do not like the games. At some crops they play them and the ladies enjoy them, but at our crops, we quit doing them

Most set up a trading table for people to bring supplies they don't need or want anymore and they can pick what they want. After the crop, what is left on the table is taken to a hospital and school or given to a girl scout troop or in some way donated.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 03-21-18 05:56 PM
In response to Henri Jean

... and chocolate! Lots of chocolate.

Veteran
In response to don1

1. Lots of table space.
2. Comfortable beds! Preferably twin. Most of the groups I go with do not like sharing.
3. Preferably within 2 hours of home.
4. We prefer meals be prepared for us, but I know other groups like to do their own meals to save money.
5. Good lighting.
6. Comfortable chairs.

There are probably others, but That is all I can think of for now.

New Kid On the Block

Great! Thank you for this information! How big is the group you like to go with?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

There are 30-35 at our quarterly weekend crops. The rooms are handled through the hotel.

Its in the VIllages, Florida which is an adorable little town with over 100 restaurant choices so we are on our own for meals - we got out in groups or bring something back. The group is too large for everyone to go out to dinner.

Snacks are provided and many of the ladies brings sweets and munchies too so the table is always full of plenty to eat.

The cost is $125.00 a weekend but there are lots of things in everyone's goodie bag and everyone gets a door prize (many are donated) and it includes cost of make-n-take supplies.

She usually picks some kind of theme and really decorates the room in it with balloons and things on the bulletin board and walls and I love that. Makes it festive.

One thing I miss very much though, and wish they would do, - some put up a clothesline against the wall or draped along the wall with 12 x 12 protective sleeves and clothespins and everyone puts their finished layouts in them so everyone can ooh and aah over them. That was one of the best parts but the crops I go to do not do that. Unless you walk around you don't see anyone else's work other than who you are sharing a table with.

For one of them I go to, the ladies mostly scrapbook and make cards but some knit or crotchet or working on quilting projects or cross stitch - you can work on any craft project you want. That's fun to see all the different projects the ladies are doing.

Dawna.s Place
Governor
Dawna.s Place

A lot of good ideas have already been listed so I'll limit mine.

1) Prefer a retreat house instead of a hotel or conference center.
2) Kitchen equipped for refrigeration, cooking and coffee.
3) Twin or full beds only! No sharing.
4) Multiple bathrooms with shower privileges.
5) Outdoor seating.
6) Limit 2 people to 6ft tables or 1 person to 3 or 4 ft. tables (see crop room pictures at link)
8) Power Strip extension cords and trash cans.
7) Table top lighting.
8) Within close proximity to LSS and market, if possible.
9) Nearby points of interest (old town, antique district, walking trails, park, etc.), if possible.

Our group (10 ladies) rents a home in Murrieta, CA called Scrap Diva Retreats. Although it closed in January (military relocation), here's a link with the retreat information, rental costs and some pictures: http://scrapdivaretreats.com/crop-room/.

Personal cost is $150.00 which covers Friday 12:00pm until Sunday 5:00pm. The home is equipped with the above items, plus it has an equipment room with a Cricut and Big Shot. There is a small stash of cardstock and supplies that is based on the honor system. The menu is divided up between us with each having financial responsibly for one meal and/or snacks.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Edited by Dawna.s Place on 03-23-18 03:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Dawna.s Place

Thank you for the advice!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 03-24-18 08:35 AM

All of the above and cost. I have had to stop going to weekend retreats and even some one day crops because the expense became too much.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GMFTS

One thing that is very popular now - lots of women bring oil burners and oil so they will have scents around their table.

I'm seeing them at different crops and I guess those who love them, love them. But there are a lot of people, like me who are allergic. I've left many crops 2 or 3 hours early because the oils made me so sick.

Someone was burning one at one crop and several of us were really having allergic reactions to what she was burning and the poor girl next to me was physically ill from the smell and had to go home.

I know the burning oils and spritzing scents into the are are popular but at crops, many cannot deal with them. Before I even go now, I make sure those are not allowed.

New Kid On the Block

That's good to know about the oils. I was thinking of having them but won't now or will at least ask before each group comes. Thank you!

Edited by Pslm37forme on 03-25-18 04:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I would ask and make sure everyone is comfortable with the oils. I notice when they come out at some crops, the room starts clearing and people go home.

Not a problem if everyone is okay with them but I would make sure. Let them know its okay if they don't like them or have issues with them, if they do, you will put it away.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

The ones I go to are at retreat centers, food is in the price. I have severe allergies to lots of food products and have to take all my meals. All of the crop organizers give me a reduced price because of that.

Have microwave, refrigerator available
No music unless u are listening to yours with earbuds
No perfumes, nor scents to burn
6' table for each person, it's nice if extension cords/power strips are provided
Single sleeping accommodations available, there is a small added fee for that where I go due to most rooms are double or triple sleeping. In that instance I don't mind paying it.
Tables available for attendees to swap products. "Leave and Take" table.
If room have a couple of For Sale tables... Not commercial products but items crafters don't use anymore and want a few cents/dollars for.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

Henri, that's a great idea about the line strung so croppers so can share their work

New Kid On the Block
In response to Sunnydi

Thank you, sunny!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I love oil burners, and I have my atomiser going at home as much as possible. But I wouldn't dream of using them in a public space - just because I like it doesn't mean everyone else does. It's not that far removed from smoking really, is it? You're forcing everyone in the room to share it without having any idea of how it affects others.

Ditto with music. Everyone has different tastes, and background noise can mess up people's hearing if it's not very good. Until you have some hearing loss, or experience health issues, you don't think of things like that.

OP, thank you for coming here and asking. I think that's a very considerate thing to do. The only crafting retreats I've been to were teaching weekends, so I have no experience with the kind of event that is being described here. I wish they were available where I live.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to RedSquirrel UK

This is an interesting topic. I wholeheartedly agree with the no burners, I do not like artificial scents. I have only peaked in on a couple crops in my area and not tempted to join in because they didn’t seem all that friendly.

One thing I would like to see is other peoples’ work, the two crops I went to weren’t at all encouraging in that regard.

No music is a good thing. I would require a private room.

An available Cricut Air (so I could access my account and cut via Bluetooth, a Silhouette (for the “others”) and a Big Shot would save hauling a couple of heavy items. Also they take up a lot of table space.

The option for a class for a more advanced technique could also entice me. There are classes offered at a Scrapbook Convention I have attended and they were all very basic, beginner type. I think anyone who would enjoy a retreat would be beyond that.

Food is such a personal choice, I have no answer for how to sort that. I’d be up for restaurants or potluck.

I am not opposed to retreats and think I would enjoy one at the right place. I’d like the one Henri goes to, but I am far away from Florida.

New Kid On the Block
In response to scrap4brains

No stairs!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stacylynnrs

Amen to that!

nvmagpie
Governor
nvmagpie

Everyone has great wonderful ideas. I don't have a lot to add.

No oil burners or scents - they tend to make me sick.

Food is difficult - I don't eat beef or pork (except for pork loin) and I have to watch sugar. Sandwich platters for lunch with many choices including vegetarian. Dinners are harder - maybe take out from nearby restaurants so that people can chose.

Plenty of room at the table and to get around. My first crop I was stuck in a corner with carts all over the place that made it difficult to get to the bathroom or just to stand and walk. Some crops I have been to have the carts against the wall - after people have unloaded what they need. That way if there is something else they need they can get up and get it and the carts don't sit and take up aisles.

Some games are nice but constant ones (like every hour) are a distraction.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics