Username Post: Adding extendors to thickness of scapbook        (Topic#1674291)
New Kid On the Block

I used to do a great deal of scrapbooking when my grandchildren were small but havent in a long while.
I have this crazy idea of taking all of my OLD family photos (after sorting them) and making one huge scrapbook with them instead of keeping them in boxes in the closet.
Is there a limit as to how many extension screws I could add to an average 12" X 12" scrapbook? I am thinking of using 3 separate scrapbooks but would each like to be as thick as possible.
Thanks for any assistance
Cheryl in Ontario, Canada

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to safarichey

I've added two sets of extension screws and it's OK. Not great, but OK. The album is heavy and slightly wobbly. I'm sure it varies somewhat by brand.

Dawna.s Place
Governor
Dawna.s Place
In response to cindy312

Cheryl, To make it easy on yourself, you might consider a large 'D' Ring 12x12 binder instead of the screw type. They hold a lot and you can easily open them up so you can add in or take out pages with easy. Not so easy to do with the screw type albums. Here are pictures of what I'm suggesting:

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ac-98183.html

Good luck with your project.

Edited by Dawna.s Place on 05-10-18 03:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Puddin Head
Idol
Puddin Head
In response to Dawna.s Place

With a post bound album the number of pages it can hold is determined by how wide the spine can grow as you lengthen the posts, and how much thickness there is to each page. Obviously, if you put a lot of dimensional embellishments on to your pages, the album will hold less.

The advantage to a post bound album is the lack of "gully" between two pages making more of a seamless appearance with 2-page layouts. They also come in a lot of different looks and themes. For stability I would look for a post bound album with 3 posts instead of 2. I don't put a lot of thick things on my pages, but I do have a little bit of dimension. As you expand your album the spine will widen and some will show the elongated expansion holes which I personally don't like. Also, with those albums the spine isn't much more than laminated paper which is subject to tearing.
Other post bound albums have a more rigid spine that slides out of the album's front and back covers as it expands which, I think, looks much better. (Although, if the album becomes too thick the spine sometimes won't stay in place.) My favorite manufacturer of post bound albums is K and Company. https://www.scrapbook.com/store/par-kac706422.html?w=K+...

My post bound albums can hold 22-24 page protectors. That does make a fairly hefty album.

Ring bound albums tend to be more stable because of the sturdy spine. They also are much easier for inserting pages after you have put some in there. They are also a bit larger than post albums because of the thickness of the rings. Most of them come with solid leather-like covers but you can find a few with designs. They look nice on a shelf because of their uniform thickness. Most also have a nice label plate on the spine. Make sure you get well made ring bound albums. With the cheap ones the metal unit that comprises the rings is sometimes just glued on and can come off.

I have many of the Wr R Memory Keepers ring bound albums. They can hold 26-30 page protectors depending on the embellishment thickness.

I have a blend of both post and ring albums in my large library of scrapbooks with all different manufacturers and different types of page protectors. So confusing! When I began scrapbooking I bought post bound albums because that was all I knew about. If I had it to do over again, I would stick with one style, one manufacturer and that would be the We R Memory Keeper ring bound albums. https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ac-660918.html?w=We+R+M...

I hope this helps.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics