Username Post: Life Expectancy of Magnetic Platform for Big Shot        (Topic#1674637)
New Kid On the Block

I have the Big Shot (pink and black) and have used it a great deal. I purchased the magnetic platform in 2011 and used it alot as well. The surface had become rather torn up and some magnets appeared to be breaking through so I purchased a new magnetic platform.

Is there something I should be doing to protect the new platform or is the magnets poking through just a wear and tear issue that cannot be controlled?
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by bak2basik46 on 07-20-18 03:29 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 07-20-18 08:46 AM
In response to bak2basik46

The magnetic platform should not need replacement.
The mag platform clearly states it is not a cutting platform. You always put a plate down to protect the mag platform.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to don1

I have the same problem and I have never tried using it w/o the cutting pads.
I don’t know why it does this.
Curious to see what others say.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ChansGram

I always use cutting pads too but in the last year a few magnets began to push through the thin plastic-y instruction sheet. I purchased the platform in 2011 and it gets used alot because I have more thin dies than any other die. It's not a huge $$ item on the BigShot but I'd rather spend it on other things.

Thanks for your input.

Dawna.s Place
Governor
Dawna.s Place

The only reason I can think of as to why the magnetic plates would wear like that is that the crank shaft is out of round, or no longer a true circle. If your big shot starts to become untrue, it will get a "limp" in the crank handle. in other words as you turn it, its not a smooth crank anymore, it has a 'hick-up" when you turn it. Nothing to be done about it except replace the platform. However, if your crank is out of round, in time you might have to replace the unit, because there's no fixing the crankshaft. I had to replace my big shot, not just the platform. When I replaced it, I went with the electric one, oh my, my hands love it!

Edited by Dawna.s Place on 07-21-18 08:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Dawna.s Place

Dawna thanks for such a great reply! I learned so much!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 07-22-18 04:06 PM
In response to jaxxan

Did you contact Sizzix?

New Kid On the Block
In response to don1

I didn't think to contact them as the machine has alot of use on it. I'm just happy that it works well with the new platform. I may look at buying a new Big Shot in the future as this one is my go-to machine. I have the Pro and Cameo but do not use them as often. The little Big Shot is so convenient.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Dawna.s Place

Thank you. I will watch for signs of problems. I haven't noticed any up to this point.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 07-23-18 05:02 PM

• bak2basik46 Said:
I didn't think to contact them as the machine has alot of use on it. I'm just happy that it works well with the new platform. I may look at buying a new Big Shot in the future as this one is my go-to machine. I have the Pro and Cameo but do not use them as often. The little Big Shot is so convenient.

OK, but if you don't ask, they can't help. The big players often do unexpected things. I always feel it is worth the effort.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics