Username Post: Embossing aluminum foil questions        (Topic#1674945)
New Kid On the Block

Howdy scrapbookers, I am trying to emboss two foot wide sheets of aluminum foil over aluminum diamond plate to use for a wall border in my garage shop I have made a 3-foot wide roller and a shuttle for the diamond sheet to ride on under the roller.
I am not getting satisfactory results. I have used cardboard foam and other materials between the roller and the foil and diamond plate and so far a big beach towel seems to work best however I still have to hand burnish in some of the small gaps where it didn't in Boss fully.
What tips and tricks do you suggest to get the best impression I am thinking of making a mold from epoxy and then sandwiching the foil between the mold and the diamond plate like a punch and die set up for better embossing.
regards Nels

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to nchogberg

Just want to say Hi but sorry I am not any help in this department. There is a lot of knowledge and talent here that I am sure can answer your question.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to nchogberg

I do not know what to do but maybe someone else might

don1
don1 
Pro
don1
  • don1 on 09-22-18 08:18 AM
In response to anda11

I think Sizzix has a vid on texture plates.
When I use my Fiskars texture plates, I build from bottom up; platform, texture plate, paper, silicon mat, impression pad.
You don't say what your roller is.
How does the foil hold up? Does it tear?
How about this sandwich; texture plate, foil, rubber mat, plywood. Then drive your car over it as the roller?

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to don1

Don't know that this will help with what you're trying to do, but any videos I've watched of people embossing foil they use several layers. Generally tearing off a long strip and folding it several times. Maybe you could do something like that and hang it in squares (a tile look) rather than a long strip.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to dwelch

Your idea sounds really neat for a garage, if you can make it work!

All I'm thinking is to add more shims, cardboard or maybe thin wood, to add more pressure. I've embossed aluminum foil with embossing folders in my Cuttlebug and it turned out great. I used heavy-duty foil and it seems like three, maybe four, layers that I ran through the Cuttlebug all together. Alcohol inks looks great on foil, for anyone wanting to play with foil. :>)

Good luck and hopefully you'll post some photos when you get it all hung in your garage!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics