Username Post: Then and Now        (Topic#1675425)
gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl

What is different about how you scrap now compared to before?

I was putting old LO's into albums and noticed that I would use several pages to scrap a vacation even if there were only 1-2 photos one each page.
I notice now I use fewer photos to tell the story.
Most of the time now, I consolidate the photos onto 1 page or at the most, 2 pages.

So what about you? What is different now compared to when you started?

New Kid On the Block
In response to gluemore girl

I definitely do the same. I choose the highlights instead of using everything and I try to tell a different story with each page. I also love adding more embellishments than I did long ago. I'm definitely a more is more scrapper.

rabbits3
Veteran
rabbits3
In response to jennylilac

Now I just pick my favorite photos instead of all the pics from the event and I feel I'm not as" matchy matchy" in using my papers. When I first started scrapbooking I was told to pick a color from the photo and only use co-ordinating colored papers, But now I just use any papers that I love with the pics! Make sense?

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to rabbits3

I started scrapping several..... and I mean several... years ago. Back then (2002) I thought I had to use as many photos on a page as I could fit. I cut some of my photos in ovals, circles, hearts, etc... and I had a bad case of "sticker sneeze" and used "deco scissors" as well... I look back at some of my first layouts and wonder, what was I thinking!?!? But I will not re-do those layouts... it shows the progression of my scrapping....

rabbits3
Veteran
rabbits3
In response to Scrapkaty

I agree, there is NO WAY I'm redoing the layouts that I'm not crazy about! ha ha

Dictionary
Expert
Dictionary
In response to rabbits3

Well when I first started 20+ years ago I used to cut *gasp* my photos into shapes, from there I did whatever was the latest craze but now I am more simplified. I found looking back through years of layouts what stood out to me where the ones without all the latest craze so its a good learning lesson that more isn't always better.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Dictionary

Styles, like clothes and hair, evolve and scrapbooking is no exception. I see different trends now. Some I'll try and some I won't. I've finally gotten to know myself more as a scrapper and know what techniques I'll try and use versus what I'd try once and never do again.

Rabbit, there were lots of rules back then, right? I've started doing page kits without photos in mind at all and it's a process that is really working for me. I make the page kits up and later on find photos to go with them! Who'd of thunk??

Dictionary, I hacked the heck out of my photos with the CM cutting system. And thinking back, I did that well before I discovered actual "scrapbooking". I've always liked my scissors, lol.

Jenny, my embellishments back then were always stickers and border strips. I have a nice stash of embellishments that I use: die cuts, wood veneer, enamels, and some sprays. Once in a while I pull out stamps. I do always journal... is that an embellishment?

Thanks for the great responses. Seems we all started out one way but found our own way.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

Ah yes, the early years of shaped photographs on plain white paper! Didn't like it then don't like it now! Do I have a couple of albums that way, of course but I never look at them and I certainly will not take the time to do them over. OK I look once in a while and don't like them.

What I have learned in my personal journey in scrapping...
I do have a love affair with patterned paper and colors.
I love more rather than less on a page.
White space bugs me to death til I add something.
There is a find line between too much and just right, and I don't always see it til too late.
I love to learn new techniques and will try just about everyone on a layout at least once.
I have not scrapped in chronological order from the get go, 20 + years.
This year I have started and almost completed a album (8x8) that showcases old photos of one person. Completing the album is the key word here!!

Lastly...
I make pages of events working in groupings of photos, for example...my Christmas photos are sorted into 7 piles with 4 to 20 photos in each group. Those represent the 7 "stages" of Christmas day, staring with the arrival of each family to the night time games we played. I will end up with a whole album of just Christmas 2018.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to Sewflake

My earliest pages are awful - glued some pictures on a page and called it done. And a big heavy mat around everything! I was a heavy journaler then, and I still am - that hasn't changed.

The biggest change was that I discovered digital in 2015 and never looked back.

Now I'm a whole lot more of a perfectionist. I don't just throw it on to see where it lands. My style is still very simple and basic, but I am having a lot more fun and getting way more creative with design - especially in the last year.

I hope to be caught up with all my scrapping by the end of March (maybe sooner) and will start doing the first 26 books over. My goal is to do at least 3 of them over a year.

Anyone who knows me know knows my pages are 99% travel pages. Friends know that too. I get calls constantly - we are going to Alaska... we are going to Hawaii... We are going to Italy... may we come look at your scrapbooks for those countries. We always say sure and we invite them to dinner or we go out to eat and then come back here for dessert and to go through those scrapbooks.

A friend is coming here for dinner middle of the month. He lives in Albuquerque and in talking with him a few nights ago, he asked if I had scrapbooks for Prague, Copenhagen, or Budapest. He had trips - airline tickets bought to those 3 places next year.

Why yes, I have scrapped them all. He asked if after dinner we could sit up for a few hours and go through my scrapbooks to see those 3 places for ideas and also look at my books for some other places he was thinking about going. When he comes he spends hours with my albums.

I love that. I'm happy to show off my books (my later books) and its not unusual for people to call and ask to see them for different places.

My older books - I'm not too keen on showing them off. And I'm leaving my books to my oldest son who wants them so I want to redo the first 26 books so they aren't just a bunch of pictures on the page with research text boxes just stuck on.

My style has changed a lot in some ways - not much at all others. Still simple, clean, not a lot of embellies but I'm still more likely to use tickets stubs and things for embellishments. Still journal a lot - both research and to tell the story. I still include a lot of my personal feelings and thoughts on the pages.

Sometimes one picture takes up the whole page, sometimes I get loads of pictures on a page. I've learned to treat each page individually as to whether it need 1, 2, 3, or 12 pictures.

I also know that my albums will be passed down and I don't want any page or situation to leave questions so I include the information.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Henri Jean

Sharon, I love me some pp too, especially after doing CM albums for so long. I did use pp on those pages but really got into it when I stopped using the strap hinge and even scrapping out of order! I do use some white pages periodically to try out some of the cool techniques I see on you tube. A lot of designers use white card stock.

Henri, What a library you've created for the traveler! I love seeing your pages and reading the journaling b/c that's what really makes the photos talk. I love to journal, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. My first book was my son's 1st year baby book and though it's not my finest work, he still pulls it out to look through and he's almost 22. I've since made a book about his swim years and friends and they are a little more design friendly.

I wonder what scrapping will look like in another 20 years?

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

Hi Glue! How awesome to see you - I used to see you on Linda's thread but I was hear so sporadically - sometimes a little and then sometimes not for months at a time that I just dropped out of it. I need to go back over there and say hi - I really like Linda and the ladies over there.

Its funny that people are leaning about my travel library and it is from real travelers, not someone working for a company paying first class accommodations for them so everything is first class and five star. Our travelling is more budget oriented and things normal people can do and see when they travel.

There are some awesome hotels I would love to stay in when we travel but I can't even afford to have lunch in most of them, and they are the ones most travel guides recommend.

My feelings about journaling is my grandkids will have these books some day and I want them to pick it up and maybe learn something about a place. I also like the more obscure information about a place that people I know are really educated will tell me, "I didn't know that."

Did you know George Washington's favorite foods were ice cream and cream of peanut soup? I look for stuff like that.

I am flattered that when friends and neighbors want to travel, they call to see my books.

Can you believe that my kids are 40 and 42 (41 and 43 in the next two months). I haven't done their baby books yet. I need to condiser doing that.

I think it is so cool that your son is almost 22 and still looks at his. Those books you are doing for him will be something he always treasures - and more and more as they get older.

I can't imagine what scrapping will look like in 20 years. They say that everything comes around again. Maybe we will go back to the styles that make everyone groan that we did years ago. I just can't imagine how it will evolve.

I think printers will evolve and we will be able to select our patterned paper and it will just print out. If we like paper on scrapbook.com, we would purchase it on line and have it immediately because we could print it ourselves - as many copies as we want.

I think photographs may turn more 4D, even though they are flat and that will give our books even more of a cool effect. I think videos may evolve to be flat like a picture that you touch to activate and if that happens, we will scrapbook them.

I can see looking at a book and touching the corner of each one for video and sound. That would be a change but who knows - we've come so far and I think technology is happening so fast, that it will be completely different.

I can't imagine buttons and ribbons and embellishments changing much. I truly think the trends will be more towards mixed media which we are already seeing.

What is odd about my books, I figure no one but me is going to read all the jouraling but I enjoy sitting down and reading it because it brings the memories into clearer focus. But surprisingly, when either of my sons pick up my book they take forever and read every word. They don't just turn the pages, look at the pictures and finish in a few minutes. They both enjoy the stories behind the photos and every time my oldest reads a page he tells me, "That is really cool - I can't believe you did that, or I didn't know that."

When Bill and I quit travelling we plan to take one book off the shelf every night and sit on the couch and go through it. Right now, there are enough books to last for 2 months before starting over!

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake

I used to staple ephemera and photos to a rather large "scrapbook" construction paper album. They are so delicate now I never open them but I can say they were definitely all about me and my younger years. There was no cute pattern paper back then. Just photos and my terrible handwriting.

Now, I mostly scrap about my son even when we do stuff as a family. "Gotta make sure the kid is in the photo" type thing. I rarely journal, but I have gone back and added journaling to the back of pages so others will know what's up. I guess I tend to make pages "for the art of making pages" if that makes any sense.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Vivian Lake

Henri, It's wonderful that your sons read your journaling. Lol on not having their baby books done but you'll get to it!
I started scrapping b/c of my son who, as we were sifting through his sister's photo album, asked; "Where's MY baby book, Mommy?" . And see what he started?

Vivian, I think many people are drawn to scrapbooking for the art of the craft. I think we are all called to this hobby for different reasons. For me, it's definitely the memory keeping and the creative process a close second.

Edited by gluemore girl on 01-12-19 03:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

Sp ltrue Glue - we are all here for different reasons and it is interesting to hear the different reasons.

I've seen Vivian's work before and she is very artistic - does beautiful work so I can see why the artistic side would be the focus for her.

For me - it is memory collecting. Its all about the jouraling and the pictures and if it is artistically arranged I'm pleased but it isn't the focus for me.

I have no interest or desire to try different medias because I don't have that artistic vein in me - I have more of a design graphic vein.

But I love the mixed media page and have bought inks and stamps, glitter and texturing products to try some of these wonderful effects and the products just sit on the shelf. Hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over the years in mixed media products and never opened one.

I had to realize that although I love it, when it comes down to it, its not me. I'm not an artist, never will be, and really enjoy the design graphic style of placing everything better.

So for me its about the story-telling and pictures.

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake

I have bought some "going to try that" product over the years and I just can't bring myself to it. For me it's stamping . . . I ironically don't actually like to color.

I will say that although I have embraced mixed media, I will continue to scrap using family photos and vacations (I do admit to gravitating towards that posed shot though). I see many artists that choose to make a page with artsy professional photos that have nothing to do with their lives. That's fine, but I won't venture into that realm. At least not while I have a growing child in my life.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to Vivian Lake

I agree Vivian - I have enough of my own family photos to scrap. Occasionally there is a nice professional one (mostly for weddings and a school picture), some are from text messages or Facebook which are not high quality photos but I scrap them anyway, but most are from my camera - not professional looking but decent for scrapping.

Everything I scrap our everyday lives. Always will.

I bought every supply I thought I needed to put stamping on cards and on my pages. I made a mess. I hated it. And I didn't like coloring them. I gave all my stamps and supplies away. I only used one stamp. That one stamped card ended up costing me hundreds of dollars when I consider all the stamping supplies I didn't use.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics