Username Post: How to put a scrapbook together...seriously.        (Topic#1675551)
New Kid On the Block

I know this may seem an odd question, but when I look at my scrapbook pages, it makes me wonder how you all put your scrapbooks together for 1 book? I have maybe 40 pages for 1 book, and with the embellishments, all the pages together don't make a nice flat book. How are you all doing it? Do you make 4 books for one? My scrapbooks dont lie very nicely...too thick. Maybe I am using too many embellishments?

mgiov
mgiov 
Governor
mgiov
  • mgiov on 02-07-19 04:37 AM
In response to Godslamb

Hmmmmmm...... good question!
I confess to being embellie heavy; it's surprising what even a few flowers will add to dimension. And that's why I gave up some years ago and decided to lie my pages flat in IRIS 12x12 containers (you can find them at M's or on Amazon. SBC sells 12x12 boxes https://www.scrapbook.com/store/p-ob-12sdb.html?w=stora... not sure how good they would be.
Anyway, not as convenient as albums, of course, and you can't leaf through them, but I have them sorted by date created, so it's easy to find a page if I need it.
Hope this helps....

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake
In response to mgiov

I have both flat and thick pages. All my albums stand upright so nothing is "laying" on the thick pages, which would cause warping over time I would think.

I organized my albums (plural, yep) by theme. Halloween/Birthday (cause it's the same month for my son), Fall, Winter, Christmas, vacation, summer," family is in the photo", and random "this really doesn't fit a theme" page albums.

Most of my pages are about my son, so my albums do revolve around him.

Some people go chronologically. That's fine too!!

If you want "flat/flat" pages, you might be happier with digital scrapbooking. Just a thought. It has it's appeal but I'm personally so invested in supplies I don't think I'll ever go that route.

Doreena
Queen
Doreena
In response to Vivian Lake

After years of trying to go by theme it wasn't working for me, because some pages cross multiple themes and I'm not about to make copies of pages just to be able to place in multiple albums...I don't have time or room for that! (if that's your preference then go w/ it...just doesn't work for me).

Since I started PL last year, I have found I much prefer Chronological, even if I don't scrap that way.
In other word I may scrap out of order but I'll place in the albums chronologically.
However since I just discovered this as a preference I have not gone back and rearranged any of my albums, except parts of 2017 which I may go back and completely arrange, eventually. I have just decided to sort my albums that way going forward.
Also I have discovered 3 ring albums allow way more room for lots of pages and/or pages w/ bulky items.

Iris containers were mentioned and I use those too. Though SB.com does not sell them and I am not allowed to link to outside stores. They are basically 12x12 Plastic front clasp locking storage containers. They come in a few different colors but they are all see-through and they usually sell at Michaels or JoAnns for about $10...but they always seem to go on sale at Michaels. I have seem them as low as $3.99, so if you go that route, wait for a sale and then stock up!
The reason I started using them is most albums, aside from 3 ring, don't allow room for many pages, especially bulky pages and I found that the multiple albums were taking up way too much room already and I knew there would be many, many, many more in my future (LOL).
So I do have about 7 of those containers filled w/ layouts.
They hold a lot!
But as also mentioned they are not as easy to flip through as albums.
I just figure they'd be a fun treasure chest of layouts for future generations!

Edited by Doreena on 02-07-19 09:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsmiller
Queen
mrsmiller
In response to Doreena

I am almost a strictly paper scrapbooker which keeps my pages flat for the most part. I then put them in albums by category. Those pages are then put in chronological order. I have albums for my kids, my granddaughter, visits to Disney World by year, etc. If you want to add some bulk to your pages, consider stitching on them. It adds texture and holds items in place forever!

Dawna.s Place
Governor
Dawna.s Place
In response to mrsmiller

Great question! After fussing around with this issue myself for years, the one thing I did that improved my storage was switch to D-Ring binders! I can't stress enough how much this improved my ability to store my scrapped pages. I can very easily add and rearrange pages to my liking.

I use heavy embellishments and can fit them into a page protector, but since they are so thick I only put in enough pages so the binder closes flat, not bulging or I'll smash the embellishments. This means that you can only put anywhere from 8-12 pages per binder. I store them upright on shelving with spine labels.

I organize my binders by family and theme. I have binders for each branch of the family. Then when I have enough pages on one subject, say weddings or Christmas, then I dedicate an album to them.

To round things off, I have friends albums and adventure albums for those special people and times in my life. These fill up over the years, so there are a few albums to each of these categories. I label and date the spines accordingly.

I don't worry about scrapping chronically any more (its a pain) but I will file them that way. This gives me the freedom to chose a favorite picture to scrap, then store it in the appropriate album. I normally scrap one large picture per page. I use only photo copies, not original photos so I can use less expensive canvas or leatherette albums. Yes, I have a lot of albums (about 14, spanning eight years) but I can find things easily with this method. So you'll need some shelving space for this method.

The one thing I really love about this diverse method is that it allows for flexibility and ease of access. I hope you find some of this information helpful. Good luck putting your album together!

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to Dawna.s Place

I sometimes paper/trimmer scrap if I want to frame a layout to put on the wall. I am making a cookbook for my mom in paper/trimmer, but scanning and stitching it to print with Shutterfly.

Then most of the original pages will be framed for my dining room wall.

I am retired with all the time in the world to scrap, and before I knew it, I had 86 scrapbooks. They were 20 sheets protectors each - approx. 40 pages each.

They filled every bookshelf and were still stacked on the floor - I couldn't fit enough bookshelves in the house for them all.

Went to D-Ring and got it to about 42 or 43 scrapbooks. But, never liked the way they looked, didn't like the gap between the pages - D-RIng was not right for me. And every time I pulled one out, I liked it less. Not the right solution for me.

FInally, I scanned and stitched every page and had them printed in Shutterfly. The 110-page books are less than an inch thick! I have 63 printed and they take 1 1/3 bookshelves in a bookcase that isn't very wide.

And no one wanted my paper/trimmer books - everyone wants the digi books! The right answer for me.

However, digi is not for everyone. Those who make the beautiful mixed media pages and put all the artistic touches - you would not be happy with the digi. But for anyone who wants pages that look like they could have been in a magazine - and a book that looks like a nice quality coffee table book - digi is worth it If you start getting over-run with books like I was.

86 regular scrapbooks or 42 D-ring was ridiculous. But I'm not overwhelmed. And every paper/trimmer page is in my digi books now.

Everyone asks what I did with my paper/trimmer scrapbooks. After scanning and stitching everything, I pulled all pages with pictures of my mom and family and made paper trimmer books to my mom, which I have no idea what she did with. Never saw any of them again.

Gave other scrapbooks with family layouts in them to the family members in the layouts.

Picked 22 favorite layouts of Hawaii and framed them - they are on my tropical-decorated tiny guest house wall.

I dissected the rest of the pages of the 86 books and pulled off all titles and embellishments, scanned them, and use them over and over.

I will still do some paper layouts - but they are to frame for the wall or for gifts.

Digi is not for everyone! Not even close. So many make beautiful pages with mixed media artwork that are each one a piece of art. I don't have that kind of talent, I just get everything down to record family events and our travels and it is what works for me.

But it is not for everyone. I have scrapbook friends who would never leave the paper side of the craft and I understand that completely.

I thought I would buy a lot few embellishments and titles and things - and papers. I still buy them, but scan and use them digitally. Still love buying scrapbook supplies!

mgiov
mgiov 
Governor
mgiov
  • mgiov on 02-08-19 04:24 AM
In response to Henri Jean

LOL, even my D-rings had turned into alligators; I really do pile it on at times.....
And more seriously, about the warping: I use a lot of mixed media and to keep things lying more or less flat, I start off by attaching cardboard from packaging to the back of my paper before starting; as a bonus, this keeps my pages flat.

jamesandersonicb
New Kid On the Block
jamesandersonicb
In response to mgiov

Scrapbooking has been around as long as there have been photographs to fill them.

MarciLB
Queen
MarciLB
In response to jamesandersonicb

Peggy--I do boxes, like you do (IKEA) and I have each box year dated...
If I am doing pages for a special book for someone-I use the D ring albums and stay aware of the bulk on the page.

I did start separating pages by family, so they can take whatever they want-I have decided it does not matter to me what happens to everything-- the whole process of scrapbooking is just sheer joy for me each day that I am able to do it!

New Kid On the Block
In response to MarciLB

Thank you all. I see a few options here, but I like doing my scrapbooks more like a photo album. I think maybe I will leave them the way they are, but maybe make 2-3 albums per person. I also like the "theme" idea, so maybe I will make some albums like that! Again, thank you.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to Godslamb

On the theme album idea - I put my Christmas in on album going through a lot of years which I put out with Christmas decorations. Fun to look back at Christmases past.

Same with Halloween, Easter, Thanksgiving and Valentines Day.

Its especially fun when family comes over at Thanksgiving and enjoys looking at the pictures of all the past Thanksgivings.

So I love having the holiday books of the past holidays to put out with the decorations each year. Really brings back the memories.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Henri Jean

Hi Henri,
I like that idea a lot. Thank you!

mgiov
mgiov 
Governor
mgiov
  • mgiov on 02-22-19 05:12 AM
In response to Godslamb

Henri Jean,
That's a great idea!!!!
Thanks

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to mgiov

Thanks - its worked well for me and its fun on the different holidays to flip through and see the family and friends growing up on those special holidays. The holiday albums are part of my holiday decorations.

I even looking back and seeing how my husband and I celebrate every Valentines Day. Nice having it all in one book for each holiday.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics