Username Post: What kind of lighting do you use?        (Topic#1675593)
idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman

I'm setting a new scrap room and it has very poor lighting. I was thinking of getting some type of Ott light but don't know if that is the best way to go. What do you use or recommend?

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to idlewoman

my old scraproom was my office first and I had installed lots and lots and lots of flood lights which I loved it was very easy to see everything at this house my room has a ceiling fan with 3 lights. I thought it would be kinda dark but it isn't thankfully. but I do have a portable light that I can move if I need it

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

Everyone raves about Ott lighting but I hate it. I bought 4 Ott bulbs and put them in my ceiling fan and they give everything a bluish tint. I couldn't match colors because everything looked bluish. When you drove by our house, all the rooms looked normal with the lights on, but my office looked blue. Very obviously blue.

A few weeks after I bought them (this was about 6 years ago), I took changed them out and put the Ott bulbs in the box of extra light bulbs in the garage. Last week I walked into my dining room and it was glowing blue. Bill found the ott bulbs and put them in the light fixture over my kitchen table! The kitchen and dining room are normal looking, then over my kitchen table - its all lit up bluish.

Have a friend whose husband is an artist and she is a serious crafter. She said they both hate Ott lights because they put a bluish tint on things and it messes up their color selections.

A few years ago Ott lights were all the rage for crafters - don't know if they still are but I don't like them.

Maybe it was because I had 4 of the bulbs, but to me, even one gives everything an unnatural bluish tint. Just not as noticeable as 2.

Edited by Henri Jean on 02-23-19 06:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to Henri Jean

Thanks, Henrijean. they are expensive and there are other options out there that aren't so expensive. I will keep looking.

Doreena
Queen
Doreena
In response to idlewoman

I have an Ott Light lamp and it doesn't give off a blue tint at all. I like it; brightens things up nicely when I need it.
I wonder if it's just the particular bulbs you bought?

For every day scrapping, I have one of those long, skinny, tube light bulbs installed over/across the width of my desk. My husband installed the fixture and we buy the bulbs from Home Depot; I use the "daylight" version of the light bulbs.

What I wish I had was a light that didnt cause glare when photographing layouts.
I'm thinking those probably dont exist though.

Edited by Doreena on 02-24-19 06:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Doreena

I use a combination of lighting in a converted bedroom craft studio. 1 small Ott light on the desk directly over my work space, 3 bulbs in the overhead fan lighting, and 1 bulb in a moveable floor lamp that really stays in one spot. The overhead bulbs are LED, they give off more light without the heat.

I don't notice any blue tint with the Ott.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to Sewflake

I don't know why, but I just hate the Ott lighting. Maybe in combination with other types of lighting maybe that would work. But I bought 4 Ott bulbs at Joanns or Michaels and it is so white it looks bluish to me.

Bill put them over the dining room table and I immediately noticed. Told him to get them out of there. Maybe I bougth a wattage that was too high, and then with 4 in the ceiling fan - it may have been to much.

I've seen others that had more of a daylight effect which is good. I need to find out what they were - I want something more natural than Ott.

Dawna.s Place
Governor
Dawna.s Place

I do use an Ott light, but don't have the "bluish" problems that Henri has. However, I prefer warm low watt incandescent lighting. Its the only lighting that doesn't bug my eyes. I recommend that you use what you like to work under.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to Dawna.s Place

Exactly Dawn! You have to try different things and see what works best for you!

jamesandersonicb
New Kid On the Block
jamesandersonicb

Today's light bulbs are primarily Light Emitting Diode (LED). LED bulbs fit standard light sockets and are the most energy-efficient light bulb option.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to jamesandersonicb

Energy efficient is fine but I am more concerned about the color - that it doesn't distort the color of what I'm working on. Some lights are too harsh, some too bright, some to yellow.

I have worked on some layouts and then when I took them out in natural light to photograph them, the colors are terrible match. And they looked so perfect under the light in my craft room! When I'm working on scrapbook pages, that is my concern - how the papers and embellishments look and that they still look good in natural light.

Ott puts a bluish tint on them in my opinion, but I know lots of crafters who love them. We are all different and we need lighting that works for us.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman

Thanks for your responses. I will probably go with LED lights in a desk type lamp to start with. I won't spend the money on the Ott light for now. If the LED doesn't work then I may try the Ott at a low wattage.

If you were using the Ott light what wattage was it?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics