Username Post: How do you scrap your scraps?        (Topic#1675987)
Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop

Hello All,

So we all have our scrap stashes... however we store them... but here's my question: How do you scrap your scraps? What is your process if you are going back to old scraps that haven't necessarily stayed with the other scraps from the project they came from?

I'm interested to see what everyone's different processes are because I struggle with how to pull scraps together for a new project unless I am immediately using what I have left over from other pages and it's all already coordinating. (and let's be honest... it's a rare day that I do that! lol I usually just clean up after I finish a page and toss my scraps in my stash to use them later... or so I think.)

Aaaaaaand… Go!

mrsmiller
Queen
mrsmiller
In response to Jenny from the Crop

I have a cubby right next to where I sit. After each project, I clean up and put items away so I can start fresh. Any piece of cardstock left, I cut into 6 inch strips and put them in my cubby. Everything else gets tossed. I've been doing this long enough to know that saving smaller pieces doesn't work for me and I just end up with an unorganized pile. Because of the way I do it now, I use those bigger scraps on almost every lo!

don1
don1 
Pro
don1
  • don1 on 05-09-19 01:13 PM
In response to mrsmiller

I used to have that problem. That's how I got into card making and ATC's.
I remember one scrapper from years ago said she saved all scraps bigger than her smallest punch. I have a big box for most scraps … I put it out by the curb on Fridays.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to don1

I've been running into this problem as I have been making page kits. Once I use a kit for a LO I sometimes have a lot of scrap papers left. I think I have a handle on it though.

I store scraps in 3 places:

I) I keep them in an accordion folder by color (roughly as they are mostly pp's). This folder stays in my crop bag and the scraps
get used in 3 ways:
a) I add them to new page kits
b) I go to them when I'm at a crop and need something else for a page such as a matte, a punch, border, whatever.
c) or as I just did a this weekend, I used them to make a LO on the fly

II) I have a drawer of scraps in my scrap room (12x12).

III) Scraps from a paper pad or specific collection stay with that collection until I use it for a page kit or LO.

When the scrap storage I & II get out of hand (i.e. the drawer won't close), I re-sort and purge.

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop
In response to gluemore girl

Um, so much yes to all of this! I love your different ways to organize based on your different needs. I just got done putting together a bunch of page kits and I didn't even think of putting scraps with those. Now I feel like I need to go back and re-do my page kits and add scraps... I'll probably end up with a lot more page kits!

Great ideas, thanks for sharing!

mikrmouse
Resident
mikrmouse

Hello,
I have all of my scraps sorted out. Cardstock, specialty papers, Christmas designed papers are all separated. The rest is all separated by color. Everything is in its own 13 x 13 plastic zip lock bag. When I go to start my my next project I kinda have my layout in mind. So I start with my scraps first. I pull out all that I can/will use. Then I go to non scraps to get what else I need. This is working out well. My scraps are going down. I went through and put all my scraps together. The bags are all in a good sized tote, that is almost over flowing. I have lots of metal die cuts that are small and several stamps. So I keep everything.

cinderella4282
Guru
cinderella4282
In response to mikrmouse

I have an accordion file folder that is sorted by cool, warm, neutral and cardstock (white)

Any scraps that come from a paper kit stay with the collection. Makes it easier to use them then next time I make a layout with that collection.

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop
In response to cinderella4282

I wish I would have done that instead of mixing them all up but it's so far gone now I would never be able to regroup them. That's what I struggle with the most when trying to use them ... What to put together... Do I start with a background paper and pick scraps to coordinate with that or do I pick scraps out first and then just pick a colored cardstock to be the background... The trials and tribulations of a scrapbooker... Lol

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl

Jenny, I think we can have it both ways. I recently made 2 new LO's starting with the scraps. but it can also be the other way. You have great paper then need a little something and the scraps might just have what you need.

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake
In response to gluemore girl

I struggled with this for years. I once found a blog post that had some easy tutorials on making cards to use up scraps.

Then one day I bought 13x13 large plastic bags. I now keep each collection and its scraps together in each bag. Those bags are arranged by theme and color scheme. The scraps are no longer lost in a drawer!!!!

This took me an afternoon to organize but once I did, if was SO worth it.

I did end up tossing a load of very old scraps (that were all jumbled together) that I'd been hanging onto for years. They were stressing me out.

My cardstock scraps are organized by color in one of the flimsy 12x12 stands. It works well.

Edited by Vivian Lake on 05-14-19 04:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop
In response to Vivian Lake

It makes me laugh that you said you had to toss some of your older scraps because they were stressing you out but I totally feel your pain! I have literally tried to go through my stuff before and be like, "what am I saving this for?" and I'll toss it and then take it back out of my trash can. LOL! The struggle is real!

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop

and where are we all getting these 13x13 Ziploc baggies?! My freezer bags are only like 11 or 11 1/2 high...

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake

Amazon and more like 13x15

https://smile.amazon.com/Ziplock-Resealable-Pl astic-2Ga...

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop
In response to Vivian Lake

Thanks Vivian! I am putting them in my shopping cart now!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

I have a 3-drawer Sterlite bin. I keep solid scraps in one drawer, patterned scraps in another, and random stuff in the 3rd.

When I'm working on a layout and need a little "something," I just grab something from my scraps. I can usually find something that will work. When making cards, I just start with the scrap bins.

Every now and then I have to go through the bins and recycle the smallest of pieces..... a thinning of the herd, so to speak.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Luvmyfam

The very first thing I do is to cut my scraps into 5 1/4x4 mat size. Those I store by color and it's nice to have my card mats pre-cut. I can almost always find just what I want. Then on smaller pieces, I cut off all those odd angles so I have square or rectangular pieces - easier to store. I keep those by color in Stampendous Stuftainers (the "thicker" size). I label them by color, and they fit into magazine holders or on a shelf perfectly. (See page 1 of my Scraproom gallery, row 4 for photos of both.)

Edited by dwelch on 05-19-19 12:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics