Username Post: Cricut Air 2 VS Silhouette Cameo 3        (Topic#1676007)
shcrappy
Veteran
shcrappy

Getting my FIRST machine! Yay! I don't know much about either. Help! Which do you prefer and why?

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to shcrappy

I have a Cameo b/c at the time the Cricut was still using cartridges but that is no longer true. There is a section that compares to the 2 but not sure if all the info is current.
I love the Cameo but don't use it to its full capacity.
Check out some you tube videos as they will definitely help you decide.
Congrats on getting your e-cutter!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to gluemore girl

I have both a Cricut and Silhouette...hands down I use my Silhouette more as I love it for title work and I find more options for images that are not juvenile in nature. I have purchased a subscription for the Silhouette 2 times (year long) to purchase my images. I have had my Silhouette for 10 years and have not had to replace it.
Now the Cricut I have had to replace 3 times, once due to size the other just because and I knew once Provo Craft went to digital they would eventually quit supporting all their cartridge based machines. Which in fact they did!!
The only reason I stay with my Cricut is because I have so many images from cartridges in my account and I can still cut if I want.

As far as cutting quality I really have no preference, they both work well.

I don't know how Cricut works for purchasing images, not all of them come with Cricut Access which you have to pay for every year after your "free" months.
Silhouette has sales during the year where you can get your images at 50% off. With a subscription you get more credit than what you have to pay. They also have sales on their subscriptions too, like 20% off and more if you pay for the year up front.
The average I had to pay for each image turned out to be 15 cents by taking advantage of as many of the sales I could. You do have to read the fine print because I have lost a few credits when I did not "spend" it in a timely fashion. Once I figured out how it worked then I worked it out to my advantage!!

Many things have changed with Silhouette images and I don't use it to its fullest potential but I am more than happy with the amount invested in the machine and images.

Once advantage with Cricut, I think (not sure) they have a limited amount of time that you have free access to most of their images with a new machine. As with any machine, you will want to review what comes with the machine.

I found once I went to digital cutting there was no going back, no new punches purchased and few dies needed although I do like them.

It is exciting to get your first machine...take a look at YouTube as mentioned and see what types of images you want to cut with it. I have never tired to import images to my Silhouette but I have done a few with my Cricut. Again, I don't use either machine to it's full potential!!!

MarciLB
Queen
MarciLB
In response to Sewflake

I cant compare-I had the Cricut Expression w/cartridges--easy to use but I don't have the one you want to compare...
I do have a Silhouette Cameo 3 (I also had the original and donated it to an art teacher)…
I think its all what you get used to-I LOVE the Silhouette Cameo..I don't subscribe as they have a newer feature where you can bank a certain dollar amount (the higher the more discount) and they have tons of sales and daily deals-so I think its reasonable.

I also have the Brother Scan n cut which I ONLY use to scan and cut-I do NOT think it is user friendly, maybe the newest version is.....

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to MarciLB

Have you considered Brother Scan N Cut? It does all there 2 do and more. It scans a stamp/drawing/design and cuts it out. NO MORE FUSSY CUTTING!

shcrappy
Veteran
shcrappy
In response to southgirl

Thanks for the input ladies!
I actually ordered the Cricut Air 2 this morning. After watching many (MANY) videos about both machine's programs I felt like the Cricut was going to be a little more user friendly for me. I could be wrong, but it looked easier to learn for this girl who isn't terribly high tech savvy.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to shcrappy

Wonderful! Congrats and happy cutting!

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to gluemore girl

Congrats on your machine choice. I have the Explore and the Cameo 3. I love them both but design space is easier to learn. An added plus, at the end of the year, we will be able to use our cricuts off line.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics