Username Post: Calling All Card Makers        (Topic#1676137)
Samothrace
Idol
Samothrace

Hey ladies! A friend of mine is trying to organize some surprise cards for some very dear men in our lives. They are the 11 sailors and 1 Marine remaining from the WWII heavy cruiser, USS Indianapolis CA-35. Anyone who knows me on here knows how dear the men od the ship are to me and my family. My husbands grandfather was a survivor. When he passed away 2 years ago there were 19 survivors.

For those who don't know the story of the Indy she was a glorious ship that without her and her crew WWII may have ended very differently. On July 30th 1945 she was sank, just days after delivering the atomic bomb. 1196 men were aboard and 5 days later they were accidently discovered. Only 316 of these honorable men survived the exposure, burns, injuries and shark attacks. Her sinking is still classified as the worst naval disaster in history with lives lost. Their mission also still holds maritime records for how quickly they were able to deliver the bomb. If you ever want to learn more (as this ship and crew were at most of the major battles earning 10 battle stars) and learn more.about her crew I highly recommend the documentary USS Indianapolis: The Legacy by Sara Vladic and the book USS Indinapolis by Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic.

Please mail cards or letters no later than July 8th. They need to be there by Friday, July 12th.

Kim Roller
22421 124th St E
Bonney Lake, WA

Thanks in advance for any love you want to show these men! The youngest will be turning 92 this month.

USS Indianpolis survivors remaining 6.9.2019 By Samothrace

Edited by Samothrace on 06-09-19 04:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 06-10-19 07:13 AM
In response to Samothrace

Are you wanting one card per gentleman or one card for all? Are they thank you or other themed?

Guru
In response to vawm

I'd be glad to....do you know more specifics on the type of cards she is looking for?

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to ArtsyLC

I totally understand. my dad was in WWII on the ship Baroka in the navy. my husband enlisted in the marines after he graduated high school in 1966

Samothrace
Idol
Samothrace
In response to ArtsyLC

• ArtsyLC Said:
I'd be glad to....do you know more specifics on the type of cards she is looking for?

Anything you want to send she would love to give them. If you want to make one or multiple. Saying thanks and showing appreciation for their service. These gentleman are so sweet and loving, spunky and whitty. Ed Harrel is the last marine, as you can see from the picture as he has a red hat.

Samothrace
Idol
Samothrace
In response to vawm

• vawm Said:
Are you wanting one card per gentleman or one card for all? Are they thank you or other themed?

I would say anything you would want to make! If you want to dedicate yourself to 12 cards, or just one. Kim and the others who help host the reunion love to honor and surprise them in different ways. They really are a special group of men that deserve as much love, honor and respect for their service and the sacrifices those days in the water too upon their lives. My husbands grandfather wouldn't talk much about it and had nightmares about it up until he passed away at 92.

We so appreciate any love you want to show these amazing men! I really wish I could just input everything I know about them and the ship for everyone to understand just how remarkable they are.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics