Username Post: July Budget Challenge        (Topic#1676247)
Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

Details:
We're here to try to stay within limits on our scrappy/crafty spending, though we have plenty of enabling going on! We take turns hosting (whomever has time that particular month) as it gets a bit chaotic sometimes! We are a chatty bunch of savers and enablers! (Mostly enablers!)

The rules: List your scrappy budget for the whole month. Then list the high priority items that you want to buy this month!
OPTIONAL List something you are NOT allowed to buy all month! (Forty lashes with a piece of wet twine if you cave in on that one!)

Tell us how much you spend throughout the month, and keep track of it as you spend. We like details about your shopping around here. No such thing as TMI! You do not have to include costs for adhesives, swaps, storage, gifts or shipping, unless you want to. Please round to the nearest dollar value.

Planners themselves and things like separator pages and page protectors do NOT count but things to pretty them up DO COUNT

continuing this into perpetuity…
- Black, White, Cream and Kraft cardstock will NOT ever count

Free $25 spend for anyone who has a birthday during the month

Participants
Tammy-£300 - 196 = 104
Sharon-$50 - 37 = 13 BUSTED - crops will do that to you
Amanda-$0 (but only 17 more pages to go
Maria-$50
Kelly-$35
Laura-$30- 13 = 17
Sue-$25
Linda-$30
Janeen-$75
Sonja-$50 really when have you ever only spent $50 at that dang sizzix sale I can't be a part of

Edited by Ladybing Tammy on 07-12-19 01:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake
In response to Ladybing Tammy

I will put in my 2 cents worth with a budget of $50 with $37 already spent today without even thinking!!
I went to the scrap book store to pick up a table I was having re-finished and bought papers without even thinking budget for the month and no spending!!!
I got a couple of Harry Potter embroidered patches to got with the paper.
I will have to watch myself when I go back on Friday so I don't spend just to be spending to help support local business that are fast disappearing!

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda
In response to Sewflake

Count me in - still going strong with nothing spent this year. I have done 83 pages so 17 more to go. Budget is 0 because we are camping a lot this month and I doubt I will finish 17 pages this month!

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Scrapanda

I'm in with a budget of $50 in case I get dragged to a LSS by one of the other Gluemores :grouphug:.
School is over and DH is away so I'm going to start using some of the other things I've collected over the past several months!

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to gluemore girl

I'm in with a $35 dollar budget, but I'm hoping to spend less. Still working through all the stamps I had to have and yet still haven't used. So many stamps, so little time.

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories
In response to Kamananui

I will play. I will keep it to $30.00 and try to use some of my stash.

I purchased a sizzix travel journal die last month, so I am going to try to do something with that.
Products Referenced in This Post:

suebird
Expert
suebird
In response to lcmemories

Count me in, also. Let's say $25. Doubt I'll be able to do any shopping until later this month.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to suebird

Hi Laura and welcome! The journal die looks awesome!

Sue, sounds like a busy month ahead for you.

suebird
Expert
suebird

Yeah, Maria; it’s pretty much going to be crazy through the 23rd. At least it’ll keep me from spending.

Governor
In response to suebird

I'm in with a budget of $30. That should be enough to get a couple CP inks when they're back in stock.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to boricuapr

I shouldn't have looked but I did. I went into the clearance section for some stickers and came out with a few packs and the Tim Holtz tote on a revolving disk. Truth is, I had a tote similar and it got water logged but never replaced it. I've been eyeballing it for years now so caved in when I saw it.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

Hello all and welcome Laura (oh I have been loving your photos of Sam lately - he has grown up so fast).

I have been away all weekend but I promise I will get this updated early this week. I am exhausted from all the stitching I did at my retreat!

godschild94
Governor
godschild94

I'm here! I need to stick to my budget this month because last month I was BAD...SU markers, a new bookcase for the scraproom to hold all my albums, 3 more albums, and a new Cameo! My old one stopped talking to my new computer and since I can't scrap without it, I bought a new one...just got it on Friday.

So my budget is $75, only because I am out of school and I know I will end up at the stores for a few things. But I am trying to use stash! July for me is a stashbusting month all the way!

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake
In response to godschild94

Tell me is is not sooooo old Cameos not talking to computers!!!??!
I could see a new Cameo in my future once my two "friends" quit talking to each other!!!!
Another reason not to update Silhouette studio!
What if my old Cameo won't work with the new update???

I busted two days ago. Went to that crop I was telling you about and just had to support the store.
I busted by $30 something...thankfully I had a $37 credit from selling back my crop space then got to work in the classroom on a project.
Otherwise I would have busted by much more than the $30

One of the two projects I made.
Watermelon Decor By Sewflake

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to Sewflake

• Sewflake Said:
Tell me is is not sooooo old Cameos not talking to computers!!!??!
I could see a new Cameo in my future once my two "friends" quit talking to each other!!!!
Another reason not to update Silhouette studio!
What if my old Cameo won't work with the new update???

Sharon, it wasn't the software. It was a driver issue. The Cameo was looking for the old driver but my new computer kept trying a new driver and the only way to make it work was to delete the driver each time I wanted to cut...ugh! Too much work for me so I got a new one. But on the upside, their customer support is amazing! She tried everything she could to get it to work for me and told me she didn't want me to buy a new one. She even checked back with me a few days later to see how it was going...

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake

You may be able to still sell your old Silhouette if it will work with some computers.
I would not hesitate to get a new Silhouette if and when I need one. My original is still going strong!
Glad to know you liked their customer service, good service makes for repeat customers, so does reliable machines.

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to Sewflake

Day 8 and nothing purchased. Let's see how long I can go without shopping.

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to Kamananui

HI guys! Eight days in and I'm finally joining, though my scrapping and motivation have been MIA since May! I'm not even sure I'm going to host my usual challenges... My mind just isn't in it these days.... And I really want it to be too!

That said, it's the Shop That Did Not Hop Warehouse Sale at my local LSS this month (starting Thursday!) so I'm in for $50 for sure! I don't need ANY dies or stamps, but I simply cannot pass up this sale! If you don't mind waiting 6 months for your order to ship, I would highly recommend checking out Scrapbooking Made Simple's STDNH sale on Thursday starting at 9am PST!! We're talking dies for $2!!! Here's the Link and you can review the rules of the sale. Since it's a small mom n pop shop and they only have a handful of employees (and their good-natured spouses), the sale is like a 'presale' and once it closes, they order all the items in bulk (hence the cheap prices). And it's a LOT of orders!! Then they get them in around the end of October and it takes them usually a month or two to process and ship. I always get mine in January, but I choose pick-up as I live close by. Shipping orders usually go out sooner. BUT, if you don't mind waiting and want to save on shipping costs, I can pick up your order and mail it to you. (Just let me know!) My husband can ship from work for a very reduced rate.

Sorry for the shameless plug here and the enabling, but I love this store and the people who work there and definitely like supporting small businesses! They're also a client of one of my branches that's right across the street from them so even more incentive to support them!

Goodness gracious, we already have a bust??? tsk tsk tsk! But she's also producing so... GOOD JOB Sharon!!

OMG Janeen!!! That's a heck of a June spending! And your silhouette stopped communicating??? OH NO! Mine is brand new and has only been used like twice and my computer is ancient. What happens then?!?! EEP!

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake
In response to SonjaC

Yes Sonja, I do know how to bust!!! I am getting better at it each month!! Make a TM run today...I knew it was going to be a mistake but I went anyway!!
Now I have to get busy scrapping!

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories
In response to Sewflake

Well, I need to go into Michaels to get some elastic cord for the journal I am making. EEEEEK! This is going to be tough to walk out of there with the cord and nothing else. I want some adhesive sheets, and I need some white cardstock. At least those last two don't count toward my total. Wish me luck!!

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories

I am back and going ahead and making myself accountable before I forget. I spent $1.00 for the elastic cord, $5.00 for the adhesive sheet, $4.99 for a pack of Velcro dots, a sizzix die (it was on sale!) $4.99; and two small bottles of glitter glue (Studio G) which were $.99 each (total $1.98). Total for my little excursion was $17.96, and if you take out the adhesive sheet, the total out of my budget was $12.96.

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake

Good luck Laura!
I made it in and out without buying a single thing today!!
There coupon was for on 30% off a single items...not enough to temp me into getting adhesive! They are redoing/rearranging the store again, still there is nothing of interest for me!

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake
In response to Sewflake

I see you did not need my help Laura!

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories
In response to Sewflake

Unfortunately, my office is within walking distance of Michael's. I have to stay out of there completely, or I am doomed. They have rearranged the store since I was in there last, and it is really difficult to find things now. The inventory looks like it has been reduced, and it seemed a little scattered to me. I was surprised I wasn't tempted by more things. I could not pass up that $5 sizzix die though. I have the cameo and cricut, but I still love my old sizzix machine.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

evening all - so sorry about the front page not yet being updated - but I have been so tired - I will try for tomorrow.

In other news - I spent another £75 on SU stuff

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake

Yes, I did notice that the paper crafting in M's is not at all what it use to be.
Like you said, the items are scattered about the store.
I do find their paper pads to be a good deal when they 70% off like they did the other day.
Still I didn't find any paper that spoke loud enough for me to hold it in my hand for more that a minute or so.
Too much paper so many pictures so slow scrapping.

I need to clean my room, make kits like I would if I was going to a crop them spend time in my clean room scrapping instead of wandering in and out all day long.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Sewflake

Good Morning!
I got in my box of clearance goodies and just need to open it. My room is ready for scrapping but that'll have to wait since the kids will be visiting this weekend.
Like you Sharon, I'm scrapping slower than I'm buying and of course looked at "new products" in the store and loving the new American Crafts paper with lemons and other fun summery vibe things. Love that watermelon "O".
Laura, count me as a sucker for a really good deal too. Don't blame you a bit!
Tammy, you are having a spendy time with SU!
Sonja, hope your mojo comes back soon. Sounds like a lot going on.
Kelly, still at $0.00?

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui

Still at zero, but I'm impatiently waiting for my Club Sursee to be delivered. Unfortunately, I still have another 10 days or so probably.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Kamananui

Maria - I am a demo so it makes it difficult to not spend...lol Although I just realized ost of that was storage so it doesn't count - and it comes today. So I only maybe spent about £20 (and our preview of the Autumn/Winter catalogue comes out later this month - we can't buy anything until next month and customers the month after but yeah I am going to have a spendy August and September methinks)

I am feeling pretty poorly today

I don't know what Club Sursee is and I ain't lookin' lol

Edited by Ladybing Tammy on 07-12-19 01:01 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy

Maria - the tote won't count but how much did you spend on stickers?

Laura - we round so marked you down for 13 - hope that is okay.

I think everything is updated now though on the front page oh and Sonja - THE Sizzix sale and only $50 - who are you kidding lol

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake

I was checking the front page....I'm the first to bust??
Crops will do that to you and so will trips to TM's!!!
Just further in the hole!
I am staying out of the stores!
SOOO I placed an order on Amazon last night!!!
Not for anything scrappy tho!

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

lol - i thought it was a crop - sorry

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to Sewflake

Hey all. I stayed under budget on my SMS order today - though not for lack of trying! THREE of the things I really really really wanted were gone by the time I checked out...

Spent $42 including tax and got some interesting goodies.
Not everything comes up here of course.
I did NOT get the Sketch Circle, textured brick or mermaid die I really wanted, but I did get the rest, plus the Trimcraft First Edition School dies.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to SonjaC

wow I am impressed Sonja!

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake

I'm impressed too Sonja...what are we going to see projects that you have been working on??

Don't get me wrong Tammy, the crop busted me I just made it worse with a trip to TM.
Either trip would have done the deed, I just happened to attend the crop before my trip to TM's.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

I am also very impressed with Kelly's spending these last few months (and alas I know what Club Sursee is - it came up on my facebook of all things).

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl

Tammy, I probably spent $17 w/out the tote but I'll include it cuz I did not need it, just wanted it. Heading to M's today with DD since she is hosting a paint party at her friend's bridal shower today. I doubt I'll spend on anything scrappy.

Sonja, I love what you got. Hoping you get time to play with them soon.

Sharon, yep, you busted! Crops will do that to you for sure. I'm still itching to go on the journey to TM's which is a very long ride away for me.

godschild94
Governor
godschild94

I busted as well. My mom asked me to stop at J's and HL with her and I found a lot of good stuff, including paper. Lol...it was SImple Stories. One collection was Disney and the other I've already dove into and created a layout with so that's good I guess. Now I just need to stay away from TM for the rest of the month....

suebird
Expert
suebird

Poking my beak in to say Good Morning.

So far, haven’t bought a thing. Of course, that could change at the end of the month. Then again, probably won’t.

I plan on doing some puttering with possible layouts today.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to suebird

oh dear Janeen - nice name and blame game though! Mom !

Hi Sue - happy puttering

Maria - we all need totes for our tools lol

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake

I had not seen that tote before you posted it Maria so I went to look. Now I am seeing it everywhere and it does not help that my PC tracks everything I look at as well as what I buy!!!!
I even saw it at TM's and was able to resist!
From here on out I need to save my budget for my new craft room. I have a feeling that I will be using most of what I already own with just a few additions for now.
I am hoping for a built in desk type cabinets with a top for my workspace instead of my 12x12 paper cubes holding up a loose counter top! I will have to see what the estimate for all the other rooms is going to be before I decide how much I can do in the craft room now.

Maria, if I had to travel a long distance to TM I probably would not go often as I am never sure if I will find anything once I'm there. Sometimes it is hit or miss, usually its good shopping when I don't have the budget for it and too good of a deal to pass up!!!

Janeen, great that you used some of your new stuff already.
It was worth it!!!!

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories
In response to Sewflake

I am still working using my stash. I did look at that link that Sonja posted. Those are some good deals. Waiting until January to get the products is a little frustrating, but again, those are some really good prices. I may be the next one to bust . . .

Governor

Crazy week since getting back from vaca. Spent $0 during the trip since food/meals don't count.

Sonja - awesome haul!

Janeen - ooohhh aaahhhh on your new toy.

Kelly - keep up the good work on no spending.

Sharon - glad you had a successful crop and busting all in the same day. I take it your new routine with hubby is going well.

Spent the day making cards for the troops. One of the ladies from LSS that closed had us over her house and we're going to go back to our monthly schedule and just rotate hosting on monthly basis. We each make 12 card kits for the 2 themes and spent the day making 24 cards.

Stopped at a different TMs to pick up cardstock for my design and was in awe when I saw beautiful dies for the Gemini. Each set makes a beautiful shadowbox vignette card. Yep - I caved and bought 2 sets - Enchanted Garden and Wisteria Window and spent $20. Here's link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gemini+encha nted+garden...

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to boricuapr

must not click on enabling links....must not click....must not click...oh [email protected]

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories

jci and enjoying all of the posts here.

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake

I did not even hesitate on clicking the link!
I'm thankful that the die for shadowbox card are too intricate for me to deal with at this stage.
I go with some that are already in my stash (cards made) or buy (gasp) a card to send off.

Once a new routine becomes a routine then one is able to get the days to run smoothly.
Having some in-home care does take a bite out of the budget!
Still a lot less than assisted living and better care.

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake
In response to Sewflake

Morning Laura!
Making my rounds this morning.
I noticed you had posts in several spots...going to check them out for new layouts or just chatting.

Have a great day.

Scrapanda
Queen
Scrapanda

Hi ladies! JCI! We have been camping for the last 10 days so easy to avoid the stores (heck I even used up my data on my phone so turned that off and couldn't even browse online!). My SIL came out for one day while we were there and she brought me a set of pocket page embellies/cards that she found at the dollar store - the kit is from Me and My Big Ideas and It is the "love" one - it is supposed to make 10 full pages. So that is a nice treat for me to play with and pretend like I bought something new!

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Scrapanda

I'm about to be put on the budget wagon, big time. On our way back from the the Cape, my car's engine light went on and after we pulled off the highway, it went kaput. AAA covered the tow and DH, DD and I had to Uber to CT from RI. We were lucky the driver was willing to bring us that far (100 miles, one way) at 11:30 PM!

Amanda, welcome back from your trip and yay on the free stuff! MAMBI is one of my favorite lines still.

Sharon & Tammy, I clicked on Linda's link but that is too much intricate work for me too. I'm trying to learn to crochet (never got beyond the basic single row) and struggling with patience to do that.
I truly have the patience of a gnat

Linda, welcome back from vacay!

Laura, I check in with my morning coffee. No one is allowed to talk to me til after my 1st cup. Reading posts I can do, lol.

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake

Maris, Ouch on the car engine!! Will you be getting the engine fixed or getting a new car? sometimes the engine is not worth the cost of fixing...then you wait for something else to go wrong with them.
You were lucky to find a driver that would take you that far!!

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake
In response to Sewflake

Amanda - welcome back from "unplugging".
How thoughtful of your SIL to bring you some things to play with.

I have learned over the years not to ever go on vacation without scrapping supplies!!!
Keep in mind that we don't "rough it" when on vacation so having a few things to play with saves me a lot of $$$!
I have been known to buy stuff just to have something to do during down time.

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to Sewflake

Oh Maria, that really stinks. Hope the repairs aren't too expensive.

I am NOT clicking on that link. Not looking, I tell you! I'm still at zero and my stamp kit ships this week. I can hold on. (I think)

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to Kamananui

I"m with you Kelly. I have been shopping my stash and stashbusting big time with Basic Grey, Chatterbox, and My Mind's Eye. I HAVE to be good for the rest of the month, but at least my kit club is supposed to come today so I will have a few new goodies to play with.

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui

Janeen, I honestly think my kit club has reformed me. Let's see how long it lasts.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Kamananui

Kit club? Did someone say Kit club?
The box of goodies I got last week still sits unopened. It's been beautiful weather so we've been out all day. Today we are headed to the beach in RI. We love it there.
No word on the car yet. I guess we'll hear today sometime. I am preparing to look for a new car. I've had mine for 11 years and it has almost 200,000 miles on it so I am not too surprised and have been contemplating what car I want next. I have this week to start looking around.

I agree with Sharon, I always had to bring something scrappy to do on vacation when we rented cottages. I loved being able to scrap at night or on a rainy day.

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories

I have been "window" shopping here, and updating my wishlist. Now that free shipping has come along again, I am afraid I am going to break my budget. Sorry, not sorry. I will report back when I am finished loading the cart.

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories

I spent $54.07. Busted. I loaded up on Fancy Pants products mostly because I am concerned about whether I will be able to purchase those in the future. Fancy Pants recently merged with another company, and so far I haven't seen any new paper products. So, before another of my favorite manufacturers bit the dust, I went ahead and purchased what I could.

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui

Laura, I think that a a really wise decision.

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Kamananui

Good idea Laura!

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui

My Club Sursee is scheduled for Friday delivery. I can make it, I can make it! (I think)

Sue are you still at zero? We've got this!!

Governor
In response to Kamananui

I can't believe I caved and checked on Prime specials. I only saw one item on "Sale" and Hubby said to spend whatever we had in his Amazon rewards, so I loaded up HIS cart with a few things. After his nap he went and hit submit and then got message that he could NOT use any of his rewards during Prime days even though only one item was a Prime Day item. I told him to cancel the order and I could get them another day. He's so wonderful that he said I really deserve my goodies since I work so hard and then he could use the rewards when he order the dogs joint medicines - AAAWWWW no wonder I luv him!!!!

I'm so glad I didn't get the Cricut machine tote when it was on sale. I got a better deal on a Luxja tote in PURPLE and added the accessory tote too. I've scheduled a 4-day retreats for each of the next quarters and thought it would be nice to have the totes, especially since I'm not driving. My purple totes will look sooo good in my purple wagon as I saunter into my retreats and all I need is to play my entry song "Purple People Eater" and get myself a purple baseball cap and feather boa

I also got a 3-pack of Cricut blue mats, 100 pack of the XL stamp envelopes that someone here recommended (I think it was Kelly or Sharon), and decided I wanted to get a Heidi Swapp silione craft mat, which is no longer being made. I was surprised that Fiskars made one.

Well I was a super happy camper because there was a nice box at home with goodies.

And lucky lucky me - none of this would count anyway since it's storage/tools and once again - I got to use the super-duper Hubby Luvs Me Loophole.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to boricuapr

now Ms. Linda, I have that song in my head. You definitely need to do that and get a matching shirt to boot! You'll be known as the Flying Purple Scrapping Lady!
What a sweet hubby you have!

Kelly, stay strong!

Laura, rationalization is an art and a gift... you go girl!
(I admit, I would have done the same and I have ).

Working on some LO's last night and today since it's cloudy & rainy. Car was fixable and we picked it up last night. More $ for scrappiness? I finally opened my box and pleased with what I got. I am loading up my TH tote as well. It'll be nice for crops as It's tall enough to put in my trimmer and rulers. Outside pockets are good and it's on a spinner!

Governor

I busted out all my stamps and they found homes in my new envelopes. The large size lets me put several of the small Heidi Swap saying sets in one envelope.

I'm debating on whether to insert different colored paper to help file them. This way I could make all of one mfg a color, but still file them my theme. But then my hoardie self would not allow for wasting my stash - decisions, decisions.

Still looking for the perfect self-healing work space mat - any suggestions?

Governor
In response to boricuapr

Maria - the image in my head has me ROFL!

Sharon - how ya doing?

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake
In response to boricuapr

I have been using Olfa Rotary mats for 30 years to cut on. First I used them for cutting fabric now I use them for cutting paper. They are expensive now but with your 40-50% off coupons that are manageable and last for decades with minimal care.
Maybe you can find a quilter than no longer wants her cutting mats.

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake
In response to Sewflake

I'm painting my craft room book cases and picking out appliances for our new house.

I just picked the cupboard and counter colors to go with the table.
cabinets and counters By Sewflake

Ladybing Tammy
Angel
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Sewflake

It's FRIDAY Kelly!!!!

Sharon how exciting picking stuff out for a new house but I think it would also be a bit stressful!

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake

It is a bit stressful Tammy considering the fact that I will be living with my choices for the rest of my life!!
After all this is my assisted living home!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics