On September 5th, we will be retiring the forums and replacing them with a new discussion platform.
[Click here for more details.]
Username Post: Album order: letting go        (Topic#1676275)
gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl

I stopped chronological scrapping years ago which has been wonderful. My albums are sorted by themes and people. I still tried to keep those in chronological order but I finally let go of that as well. It just became too much of a chore to re-sort my albums. I am hoping it'll be like finding fun surprises when looking through the books and finding the timelines all mixed up.
What do you all do?

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to gluemore girl

Most of my scrapbooks are travel books and I really like to keep those events in chronological order.

I scrap family stuff and other stuff in chronological order too - the reason is I have a lot of stuff I want documented on my scrapbook pages (which my oldest son wants some day).

I know very well that if I don't do them in order, I will do the fun ones that I really want to do and will skip over some of the important ones that I really want done. Some that are memories I want on pages will sit on my desk for years unscrapped.

So I force myself to trudge through pages I'm not as interested in with the carrot dangling in front of me of ones I really want to do. That way my son will get the complete history when he gets my books, not just the stuff that was fun to scrap.

It works for me.

Right now I'm scrapping Tahiti and have to force myself to do every page but I'm almost done - and when I go back and look at it, I'm so glad I did it. I'm really going to enjoy this album, it may end up being one of my favorites. But I'm really having to push myself! It is not coming easily! If I didn't go chronologically, it wouldn't ever get done!

Dawna.s Place
Governor
Dawna.s Place
In response to Henri Jean

After doing two albums for both my daughters back in 2010, sorted chronically, I discovered D-Ring binders and quickly let go of scrapping by date. It was so liberating! I sorted, sorted and resorted until I was blue in face creating those albums. Now I scrap the pictures I want to scrap and can easily place them where they should go. I have separate albums for weddings, Christmas, Families and Friends. It works great and I don't get bogged down trying to scrap chronologically any more. I can't imagine doing it any other way!

mrsmiller
Queen
mrsmiller
In response to Dawna.s Place

• Dawna.s Place Said:
After doing two albums for both my daughters back in 2010, sorted chronically, I discovered D-Ring binders and quickly let go of scrapping by date. It was so liberating! I sorted, sorted and resorted until I was blue in face creating those albums. Now I scrap the pictures I want to scrap and can easily place them where they should go. I have separate albums for weddings, Christmas, Families and Friends. It works great and I don't get bogged down trying to scrap chronologically any more. I can't imagine doing it any other way!

Exactly! This is what I do as well.

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to mrsmiller

Yes, I use the d-ring binders but sometimes get hung up because I've used flip flaps or b/c I have a 2 pages that need to stay together. I also have done some timeline LO's which really don't have a home either. So when I was putting away LO's the other day, I could not and did not feel like re-arranging the pages so just stuck them in, lol.

Doreena
Queen
Doreena

I think as long as you include dates on the layouts, you're good!
I know that I as a child/teenager used to look through boxes of photos my mom had and they weren't in any order, they were literally just thrown in a box, but I still enjoyed looking through them.
Pretty sure most of hers weren't dated on the back so I didn't even have that, but still enjoyed it!

gluemore girl
Guru
gluemore girl
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
I think as long as you include dates on the layouts, you're good!
I know that I as a child/teenager used to look through boxes of photos my mom had and they weren't in any order, they were literally just thrown in a box, but I still enjoyed looking through them.
Pretty sure most of hers weren't dated on the back so I didn't even have that, but still enjoyed it!

Definitely good call Doreena. I will make sure that I've done that. I try, but don't always.

SusanneG
Diva
SusanneG

I started chronological too, but for many years I am scrapping whatever I want now. I have ring binders too and I love that. I have several albums and every layout goes in chronological order in the albums. Bad part of this is, that some photos are not so easy to scrap and those are just laying around waiting for me to work with them, which might not be happen. So sometimes I just take a bunch of those photos and work through them.

Vivian Lake
Diva
Vivian Lake
In response to SusanneG

I actually do the same thing . . . sort by theme and/or person. Cause obviously I mostly scrap about my son or our vacations.

Chronological was too hard especially if on a DT and the theme of the month was "baby". Well, my "baby" is way past that phase and so I would go digging thru old photos. It was too hard to try and place that particular page in the right "spot", per se.

Sewflake
Queen
Sewflake
In response to Vivian Lake

Not chronological here, 3 ring binders to the recuse! All photos are sorted by date but I don't scrap that way. Most layouts are DGK's or events like weddings and Christmas... each has it's own album anyway.
Much easier to slip in layouts as I get them finished using ring binders.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Sewflake

i started out chronological but quickly learned that I did not like it. II wanted to scrap what I wanted. all of my CM albums got molded straps from the heat...my air conditioner in my scrap roo mm broke & we could not afford to fix it.. luckily none of my pages molded & I quickly switched to 3 ring so It was a blessing in disguise cause I love my 3 rings. some are in order but some are not..

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

I've never given thought to not putting layouts in my 'yearly' albums chronologically. I think the D ring albums make it easier to keep things in order by date....

I don't scrap chronologically... My granddaughter is 9 and I was going to scrap her 7th birthday just two weeks ago but then realized I hadn't done her 3rd, even. well, just had to do it first...

I make kits for each event so it's easy to see what is not done.

Henri Jean you are right about having to power thru some layouts.. some are more fun to do.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics