The cross in the woods had its origin in 1946 Inspired by Kateri Tekakwitha founding Pastor Msgr. Charles D. Brophy envisioned the huge wooded Cross as the centerpiece for an outdoor sanctuary. In 1954, the Cross-made from a redwood tree cut down in the mountains of Oregon.
Renowned Michigan sculptor Marshall M Fredericks created a bronze image of the crucified Jesus, which was raised into place in 1959 to complete the crucifix.
The cross is 55 feet high, 22 feet wide
The corpus (the body) designed by Marshall M Fredericks was cast in bronze at a foundry in Norway weighing 7 tons, 28 feet head to toe, outstretched arm span 21 feet.
The corpus is cleaned and waxed every two years.