Challenges: July Hoarders Challenge (the papers and the thread), Texture Paste and Ink
I started with a background sheet from Recollections (don't know the name, sorry) and covered it with a thin layer of white gesso to tone the pattern down a bit. I didn't want to lose the pattern completely, but I didn't want it to compete with the inks. Once that was dry, I applied modeling paste through a Prima doily stencil and let that dry overnight.
The inks I used were:
1. Heidi Swapp Color Shine Navy
2. Distress Stain Vintage Photo
3. Tattered Angels Limelight Glimmer Mist
4. Distress Spray Shaded Lilac
5. Lindy's Stamp Gang Crème Broulee
6. Distress Stain Broken China
I propped the sheet up on a little easel I have (with a paper towel at the base to catch the drips) and gave it a good spray of water. Then I added the sprays using the uptake pipe from the nozzle (rather than spraying all over the place) or a small paintbrush if the pipe/tube didn't give me enough ink. I just kept going until I was happy with it, and let it air dry.
When it was all dry, I gave the far edge of the page a good distressing with a Prima Distressing Tool, and inked the edges with Distress Ink Broken China and Tea Stain. Then I cut a strip of paper from a sheet that I thought was Recollections – turns out it's My Mind's Eye and it appears to be called Light Blue/White Diamonds.
I finished the background by stamping Prima Musical Notes in Ranger Archival Potting Soil and Distress Ink Broken China.
For the photos, I pulled the distress tool back out and went around the edges of both photos with the tool, then Distress Ink Tea Stain. The larger photo is popped-up on a bit of fun foam – I thought I might want to stick some embellishments behind it. I've changed my mind for now.
Finally, for the embellishments, I grabbed some lace that I snagged off a wedding invitation from my niece, and some crochet thread that's been sitting in my stash for a while, and layered those under some flowers I found in M's bargain bins (on clearance, too!). Of course, that put a couple of pops of yellow on the right side of the page, so I had to do something about the cluster by the photos. So, I added some Heidi Swapp Color Shine Gold. Then I went over the bottom right flower, and the entire doily with some silver wax from Art-C.
About the photos
On April 15, we had six cats. By 9 AM on April 29, we had 3 cats (one of the ones we lost, we have no photos of him). I won't go into all the details; suffice it to say that it was a miserable two weeks. I've been putting this layout off until I was ready to deal with the journaling because two of our kitties were young, and the other had been with us for so long she was like a fixture in our laps (her name was Stray, which was the inspiration for the title). Yesterday, I realized that if I put it off any longer, I'd get to the end of my 2017 scrapbook and forget to complete it.
It was cathartic to find good photos of them, and to make a layout that I really like, even if the journaling did leave me crying again.