Article Courtesy Scrapjazz.com: by Patter Cross
Do you like to use sponges? Not for cleaning certainly but how about for stamping? Today I wanted to share two sponging techniques that I use with my stamped images. These techniques are fun, easy, and produce a great look. Let’s get started!
Sponging with Die Cuts
Sponging with die cuts can give you a nice white border and other effects depending on the die you use. Here I will show you how to create a white border around your piece, using Nestabilities dies.
- Die cut your paper and then stamp and emboss the image with clear embossing powder.
- Put the stamped and die-cut piece back into the die itself.
- Use a sponge to sponge around the image. Ink will get on your metal die; however, you can take a baby wipe or paper towel and wipe it off when you are done sponging.
- Once you have finished sponging the entire image, remove the metal die. See the nice white border you get? It almost looks like a second piece of paper. Very fun!
I added my image to this card.
papers: Memory Box Currant notecard, Memory Box Gossamer
stamps: Memory Box Birds in the Vines E1331, Memory Box Thanks Script A833
stamp Ink: VersaFine Toffee, Stampin’ Up! Creamy Caramel, Ranger Clear Embossing Powder
embellishments: misc. ribbon, Spellbinders Nestabilities large labels
Now let’s look at how to create a fun, sponge background with different colored inks.
- Stamp your image onto smooth, white cardstock using VersaMark ink.
- Emboss the image with your clear embossing powder. Here is what it should look like. Please note, it is really hard to take a picture of this.
- Choose your ink colors, and sponge the ink as you wish over the embossed image. I chose green, pink, and blue. No need to be neat about it. Just have fun! Here is how it turned out:
- Die cut your image, or trim it to clean it up with a smooth edge. I chose to die cut my image and then place it on a card. Here is how it turned out:
papers: Memory Box Meadow notecard, misc. white cardstockstamps: Memory Box Happiest Birthday B1354, Memory Box Garden Cutaway G1353, Memory Box Dotty Butterfly C1355stamp ink: Stampin’ Up! Bashful Blue,Pixie Pink, and Green Galore; VersaMark; Ranger Clear Embossing Powder; Ranger Seafoam White Embossing Powder
embellishments: Memory Box Sparkling Diamond Jewel Stickers, sewing machine, Spellbinders large deckled rectangle die
I hope you will give these quick, easy, and fun . techniques a try. Enjoy, and have fun with the embossing and sponging!