10 Questions with Katie Pertiet, DesignerDigitals.com
By Denise Gormish
Katie Pertiet is a product designer, a scrapbooker and the store owner of DesignerDigitals. Katie has owned and maintained the digital scrapbook store for almost four years. Her site has a fun, friendly and helpful atmosphere. Its products, tutorials and FAQs provide the new and advanced scrapbooker with great resources and creative inspiration. I asked Katie several questions and she gave me this insight into her company and her life.
- How did you get started in scrapbooking? Did you ever do paper scrapbooking before digital scrapbooking? If so, what led to the change to digital?
I have been scrapbooking since I was in high school. I became completely consumed with paper scrapping after my daughter was born in 1995. Being a freelance designer that worked from home, I found myself wanting to scrap more than work. So to help with my self-discipline I moved all my paper scrap products out of my office. Shortly after I did that I started digital in November of 2004. I was selling by February 1, 2005 and launched DesignerDigitals on April 1, 2005.
- How did DesignerDigitals get started?
It seemed like the natural evolution of my designing. I was selling at Scrapbook-Bytes and wanted my own site back in 2005.
- What do you think makes DesignerDigitals unique?
I like to think it's the quality of the product and the people that have made DesignerDigitals their online home have added to the welcoming atmosphere!
- You and your husband Randy work together in the company. Explain your roles.
My husband is the IT manager, Accounting Manager, and Customer Service Manager. I am the Creative Director and Marketing Manager.
- You design a lot of products. Each week DesignerDigitals releases new products. From where or whom do you get inspiration? How long does it take to design something new?
Having worked in the advertising world for eons, I'm used to creating at a rapid pace on a regular basis, so the pace for DesignerDigitals was a good fit! I get a lot of inspiration from my own scrapping. Things I want to use, colors I'm drawn to and vintage imagery from my collection of ephemera. I also like to stay on top of trends within the home decor and fashion marketplace thru magazines and blogs and work to incorporate current trends into my scrapbook products.
- What is your most rewarding moment at DesignerDigitals to date?
We recently had a team trip and meeting so many members of our team and spending the weekend with them was the most rewarding experience!
- What's next for DesignerDigitals?
You'll have to stay tuned for that! ;)
- You must be very busy running the store, working with the Creative Team and designers and designing products yourself! How often do you get to scrapbook? Do you have a scrapbooking process? If so, what do you do?
I don't get to scrapbook nearly as much as I would like to. But when I do I start with a photo[s] I'd like to scrap and find appropriate background papers and then add on elements. I try not to overthink things.
- What advice would you give to someone who is just beginning to digital scrapbook?
Relax, experiment and enjoy!
- When you are not scrapbooking or designing, what do you like to do? What are your hobbies?
I enjoy gardening, all needle arts including needlepoint, wool embroidery, and knitting.